St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino

Terrible Staff, Uncaring, Ruined Vacation

Reviewed Tue 18th of October 2011

"Customer Support 1-800-535-4028
Reference Number ABRL-8KVN4W

The above number is in regards to an incident that occurred on August 18, 2011 at the Marriott Hotel on the island of St. Kitts. My name is Ryan C. and as part of the group involved I feel I must share this experience with anyone considering visiting this hotel and island. As of the date of this post, I have made several calls and had conversations with customer support supervisors for Marriott Hotel services in the U.S. Who have all assured me that the situation would be dealt with and a prompt response would be received either via email or a phone call. Neither has occurred and I must express my anger, frustration, and disappointment with Marriott here.

Around 6:30 pm on the date in question, a group of myself and about nine other friends were heading back to our hotel rooms when a vendor who had been selling cheap jewelry near the pool area confronted us in the lobby of the hotel. She accused one of our friends of stealing a ring from her table of wares and demanded that we pay for the ring. Several people of our group reported that our friend in question had put the ring back prior to leaving for her room and that she was mistaken. I asked the woman if we could help her look for the ring and she refused the help insisting that we pay for the ring our friend took. I told her we did not take the ring and would not pay for the item. Our group offered to give a police statement if she requested, but at this point the vendor became extremely agitated and began yelling in the lobby that all of us were thieves and were tricking her. All of this happened in front of Marriott security and staff, so we requested their assistance. They responded that it was not their responsibility to look after this situation. As such, we all departed to our rooms to reconvene later for drinks. About 45 minutes later as I stepped out of the shower I got a call from two of the females in our group, initials D.H. And E.B., saying that the police were outside their rooms and taking them into custody over the ring.

As soon as I got dressed I went to the lobby and talked to the receptionist, who reported that the crazy screaming woman had called the police and convinced them to detain our friends who were now at the police station. A group of us walked to the police station offering to help clear the air, but at the police office we were told that our presence constituted trespassing and if we did not leave we would be arrested. I called the police station and asked if we could just pay for the $10 ring. They told me that paying for the ring would constitute guilt and they would make an arrest. I replied in that case several of us were waiting outside on the street willing to give statements of what happened. The police said they were not interested in what we saw and were questioning the two ladies. Frustrated with the events, I instructed several people to wait outside the police station while I went back to the hotel to seek help. But again at the lobby desk I was told that Marriott staff would not help us. So I demanded to speak with a supervisor. After a lengthy wait the front desk told us the supervisor was too busy and that the police were handling the manner. I told the front desk staff that I would be making a formal complaint to Marriott headquarters the next day about their lack of service and assistance.

I returned to the area in front of the police office and waited with friends using a cell phone to call and try to find a lawyer. None picked up and all went to voice mail. So all of us were stuck waiting for the police to come up with a verdict. Three hours later, it was somehow decided that the officers would search the hotel rooms. They went through all the luggage and belongings of our friends and turned the rooms inside out. All the jewelry that was found was compared to the description of the missing ring. The ring was not in any of the hotel rooms. Finally after 11:30pm the police finally released D.H. And E.B.

In short, the Marriott hotel was of no help to us in our time of need. I want everyone reading this to know that this hotel does not have your best interest in mind. They will not look out for you in case of an emergency or extreme situation. As such I deem that the Marriott of St. Kitts is not a safe environment and accordingly you should not plan a vacation at this location. My calls to customer support have all seemingly fallen on deaf ears as all I have asked from them is to bar that crazy vendor lady from working and selling on their property. But this simple request has proven to be beyond the capability of even the Marriott customer support staff of the United States. Until this issue is resolved I am in firm stance that I will never spend another dime at a Marriott facility anywhere and I will never visit the island of St. Kitts again. I hope that anyone traveling here does not experience anything like this in the future, but the lack of cooperation by the staff there and the customer support leaves me with no confidence in the Marriott brand and I feel that others should be made aware so they can make an educated decision about where they choose to vacation and who they choose to stay with. Thank you for listening.

Wishing you and yours all the best on your next vacation,

Ryan C."

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of September 2011

beautiful but needs some work

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"My family, 2 adults, 3 kids ages 7 to 13, stayed at the St. Kitt Marriott for 10 days. While the resort is beautiful and the rooms are enormous, the staff has much to learn in order to live up to the hotel's capabilities. All of the hotels facilities are great and so the potential for being a great family resort is there. Unfortunately, most of the staff, while kind, does not seem to understand what most tourists expect from a resort like the marriott. We traveled on an all inclusive plan and were very happy with the quality of the food compared to most other all inclusives that we stayed at. However, while the quality of the food was great, the service could not be any worse.
Even if you had a waitress that tried to please, the food came out quite slow, and never all at the same time. The kids food often came out after the adults food. Also, the way the resort is set up, the kids had a hard time getting any food without an adult present to get an order taken. Another great dissappointment to us was the resort's activities director. Although there were activities listed on the activity board, there were really no organized games or activities by the pool or on the beach for the kids. A couple of late afternoons they played family bingo and had the kids do a limbo contest, and that was it. They did offer a kids club, but that was more like a babysitting service where you don't see your kids all day while they are kept busy by the hotel staff. We were hoping that like most other family resorts, that there would be organized games of soccor water basketball, sand castle contests, and arts and crafts, where parents and kids could participate together. To us, the lack of organization took what could have been a fabulous vacation and made it an okay vacation. We were lucky to have good weather, because otherwise I think we would have been bored to tears. Hopefully, with better training and more experience, the resort's staff will improve and then this magnificent hotel with much potential, will be a great family destination."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of January 2004

Give it Time to Train Staff

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"room and without a check list caused the maid service -- turn down service totally inconsistent- -to be much less than desired. Invariably on a daily basis there was one or more forgotten amenities or towels.
The wait staff tried but needed to know it takes more than a pleasant smile to make a customer satisfied.

All of the complaints notwithstanding the Marriott was a beautiful place and should become great if the management takes hold of training the staff in how to respond to a guest's request efficiently, beyond "promise".

Did anyone who visited in the first weeks of December find great snorkeling anywhere on the island. We rented a car and tried every recommended snorkel spot without any success. We could not give St.
Kitts a recommendation for those who like to snorkel at that time fo the year.

The plantations were great to visit as was the Fort, all highly recommended but be prepeared to drive over dirt roads to get to the plantations and an incredible trip up to the Fort."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of January 2004

Great time in St. Kitts

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2012

"It's interesting reading so many different experiences everyone has had at the Marriott in recent months...I can't believe so many people had such huge differences in their time spent there. Needless to say, my husband and I arrived Dec 18 through Dec 23 and we had a fabulous stay!
The resort itself is beautiful. We stayed in the main hotel and had fabulous views of the ocean and nearby hills. We received nightly turndown service without even requesting it, and at times "bedtime treats" were left at our bedside. The actual rooms were spacious and comfortable, with all the ammenities we felt we needed. The pools are large and we felt there were more than enough lounge chairs to go around, even if you slept in and got to the pool late! One thing we did note, is that when we arrived on the 18th, the hotel was nearly empty and our response time to service was atteneded to much faster than by the 20th when the hotel booked up completely. As far as the poolside activities are concerned, we felt the hotel offered a little for everyone. Each morning they had a listing of ongoing activities for the day...to include morning yoga and water aerobics, beach vollyball and other beach games, and a fashion show in the evening. In addition, (although we don't have children), the resort had a seperate kids activity center and always had children activities listed for the day.
As far as the restaurants, each one we ate at (we didn't eat at the Blu Seafood), were truly good food. For example, at the steakhouse, I ordered escargot and duck, and both were delicious...my husband enjoyed his lobster bisque and filet mignon as well. Yes, the restaurants are pricey, but usually that is found at resort eating establishments. The service at each of the restaurants was great for us as well, with the chef and host stopping by to inquire if we were enjoying the meal. As for the casino, it seems to be your basic island casino and happens to be the only one on the island at present time. It was fine, and my husband didn't have any dealers who were not well versed on the game they were attending to. Other than that, I cannot comment much on the casino. We didn't stop by the nightclub or the cigar lounge, but they too were two other places for people to go to each night. The island was nice, but still working on buliding up their tourism. Downtown had very little, but the few little stores we went into were cute and the people nice. Snorkeling on the island was not that great, so we don't recommend going there for a snorkeling trip alone...most of the reef we saw on the Caribbean side was dead. On the flip side, the Caribbean side beach was nice and calm with a great sandy slope going down into the water (No rocks or swim shoes needed!). As a whole, not our favorite island, but we enjoyed it tremedously and would be happy to go back to both the island and the Marriott resort."

• Travel date: Thu 8th of January 2004

major disappointment

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"This is possibly the worst resort I have ever been to. The airport is completely disorganized. I and everyone we talked to at the hotel lost baggage on the trip down. The hotel has a nice lobby, large rooms, nice pools and an attractive beach (although it is too windy and the water is rough). Now for the ugly truth: the restaurant service is appallingly slow and disregards special instructions regarding food allergies; the food is inedible once it arrives: the buffet restaurants, pool bar and barbecue stands are beseiged by flies; guaranteed room requests are not honored; housekeeping gets to your room by 3:30 if you are lucky and disregards requests for evening turndown service; there are no water sports at the hotel or anywhere nearby as advertised; management was completely unresponsive to complaints or requests; perpetual chatter on microphones at the pool area; checkout is a nightmare as all kinds of incorrect charges appear on your bill and the front desk is incompetent. In general, the resort's staff seems to be unable or unwilling to assist its guests, while management seems like it couldn't care less. Although one cannot expect service and facilities you would find at a Four Seasons resort, I still expected better from a Marriott. Save yourself a lot of aggravation and stay away!"

• Travel date: Mon 5th of January 2004

Great Resort, poor waitstaff, beautiful property

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"We just returned from a 10 day all inclusive at the Marriott St Kitts.
The rooms were spectacular suites, the food good, and all inclusive. My biggest complaint is the incredibly poor service every meal by the food service help. Apperently Kittians are completely clueless as to how the dining process occurs. Soup for 4 comes out 4 different times, many items forgotten, "who ordered the Lobster"...come on this is easy stuff.every single meal There were problems. If they deliver a plate , they don't remove the dirty ones as they go.The girl left me there HOLDING it while she set the main course down in front of me and retreated to the kitchen. Trying to even FIND a waitress that will start your order is a major undertaking. The restaurants were out of ..
Cream Cheese, tomatoes, Steak, Veal, etc... Who's job is it to see that this place functions?Drink service on the beach..... impossible.. Near the pool , better.For my 10gs' I would have expected it to be impeccable. Now the good pointsThe food is abundant and well prepapared (when it was prepared). The drinks satisfactory although sometimes weak, never strong. The fruit drinks made with a premix, a definate no-no for an island although in their defense they have no agriculture other than sugar canethe rooms great, the bellhops, great, the desk clerks great. The voicemail system for the rooms would be good in theory if they worked.Organizational skills at this hotel need work.
The pool area and beach had poor to no activites for the kids. A 2 pm bingo game and other minor things. No Volleyball or Soccer for active kids/teens. Only sedentary entertainment.The highlight of our trip was a Catamaran rental through the hotel travel guide Chris.She hooked us up with a private Catamaran and crew for $1700, about the same $90 a person we would have paid for a cattle boat with 100 people.We did find out that the cattle boats charge 1/2 price ifnot booked through the hotel. A fellow told me he got a 30 ft fishing boat for $700 for 4 hours...sounds double what he should have paid Soooooo... Enjoy the resort, it has great rooms and amenities, don't be in a hurry for ANYTHING at this resort or Island, as you can watch paint dry faster than it takes to order food.Do enjoy the food, the sun , the lushness.....Oh, one other thing, apparently the guy who built the resort, Vince, is a Plastics Company Millionaire and abundantly used extruded plastic throughout the common areas.The plastic railings in the beautiful stone foyer cheapen the place up alot. Tacky, tacky,tacky. The cabanas too, could be so much nicer if they were Palapa style like Mexico rather than Home Depot specials"

• Travel date: Sun 4th of January 2004

Amazing, amazing, amazing

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"We just returned from a one week stay at the St. Kitts Marriott. What a gorgeous property. The St. Kitts Marriott has the most incredibly large rooms. We stayed in the garden rooms on the ocean. Room had queen bed and jacuzzi, it was on first floor and we could see across the ocean from our terrace.

St. Kittian people are amazingly friendly and will go out of their way to please. Restaurants are very good. Italian restaurant was fantastic.
Great portions, and variety. Coffee shop Calypso was very slow in the service department, but hey, whats the rush, you are on vacation. A must eat place is called Marshalls. About a 3 minute taxi drive from the Marriott, food was amazing. Great steak and seafood. Surroundings were beautiful, up in the mountains.

Casino was alot of fun and large by Caribbean standards. Dealers need to brush up on their blackjack skills, but plenty of slot machines ranging from 1 cent to $100.00.

We would definitely return to this resort again. A most beautiful hotel on the ocean, and a gorgeous island."

• Travel date: Tue 30th of December 2003

too laid back for comfort

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"We recently returned from St. Kitts Marriott and I must say it was the first time we were actually glad to leave an island. The property was less than 1 yr. old and very beautiful. I would highly suggest staying in the main building as oppossed to the villas unless you really enjoy walking up 3 flights of steps a few times a day, as there are no elevators. The food at all the restuarnants in the hotel was terrible and the service even worse. The breakfast buffets were always cold and by the time you got your omellette it was almost time for lucnh.You got the feeling that the people there really didn't like you invading thier island. The only half decent place to eat was the italian restaurant in the marriott, although very small portions. The steak house wasn't very good either and a little pricey. A 8 oz. filet is $40.us.

As far as activites go there isn't much to do. Which is fine if that's what you are going for. The beach is on the Atlantic side so it tends to be a little rough. Also the month of Dec. is very windy and gets a little cool in the evenings. The casino is a little dull and the dealers are not too sharp. All in all it wound up being very relaxing because of lack of things to do. I would recommend Aruba, or St. Thomas as a much better vacation."

• Travel date: Sun 28th of December 2003

best new dive vacation

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"The St Kitts Marriott is an excellent new property. St Kittians are truly warm people, who will welcome you and make you comfortable on the island..If you dive, reserve in advance with PRODIVERS...3 dives for about $200...ask for Ken or Auston...they will pick you up at the Marriott & return you for no additional charge.

Do not use St Kitts Diving...they blew off my reservation when an unexpected cruise ship arrrived.

Diving is generally unspoiled & unhurried. Mixture of wreck & reef diving very nice.

Marriott is a beautiful new resort property...the best stay we have had in the Caribbean in more than 20 years...the buffets at the Marriott are superb...superb. Islanders pack the comfort food restaurant for Sunday Brunch.... we gained several pounds each, and are now working it off...the head chef at the main restaurant is a good southern boy, who watches everything and who will visit your table...he is supplemented by a bevy of St Kittians, who will make sure you have an excellent meal and good time.

Although the resort is on the Atlantic side, do not fear, Marriott built a $1mill. breakwater to make the wide beach with more than 100 cabanas even better.

The island is small and there is little else to see, but you do not need more than the Marriott offers...the spa is overpriced, but the gym is chock full of new CYBEX equipment, and the main pool area is huge with hot tub, so you don't really need the spa...there are two more sedate pool areas in the villa areas.

Kudos to Marriott and PRODIVERS for excellence...the best Caribbean vacation we have had."

• Travel date: Fri 26th of December 2003

Very disappointed!

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"Let me prepare you a bit if you are planning on going here. The hotel itself was very beautiful and the room even better. If you dont want or expect much from a beach this part may be ok. The hotel is on the Atlantic and too rough to swim or enjoy---much like the Cape. It will cost you at least 30.US to go to a decent beach---let me reitterate decent. I have been all over the Carribean and this island has the worst beaches ever. Very dark brown sand and mirky water, although the lush greenery and terrain beautiful. The very worst part here was the service and food. We never had a good meal at the Marriott, very poor food and service. We never mad it to Ottleys or Marshalls for dinner which I understand to be excellent. Dont miss turtle beach bar and grill. Again it cost 32.US RT but was very worth it. If you go get the lobster. The beach here very bad too--lots of seaweed and rough. The Kittitians have no idea about customer service. Service at the Marriott, for the most part very rude and aloof. It becomes frustrating when you constantly do not get what you ask for. They just do not care.
We are very disliked there. This resort has a very long way to go. I would suggest waiting a year or so until they sort out better chefs and management. The highlight of our trip was Four Seasons on Nevis. We stayed over there 2 days from dusk until dawn and had a wonderful time.
This is the place to stay if you can afford it. Do not book your excursions through the hotel. Call Kevin at Banana Boat tours 662-3384.
For 140.00US he will take you on this awesome trip snorkeling at reefs, over to Nevis and lunch at Sunshines(much like Foxys on Tortola }. Well worth it. We did this 2 days which made up for the first week. THe casino at the Marriott was pretty good. I only recommend this hotel if you are really in to gambling, and even then I would tell you to go to the Atlantis. I have never seen a dealer forget to draw to 17 more than once. Very inexperienced dealers and small casino. This hotel may fit the bill if you have never traveled to the Carribean and do not expect much. For a much better vacation try the Bahamas, Turks or Aruba. Oh, how could I forget the BVI. I think St john {USVI}is probably the most beautiful and unforgettable island I have ever seen."

• Travel date: Fri 26th of December 2003

Great Rooms

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"At the hotel Dec 6 - Dec 13/03 We had a beautiful large room with jet tub, balcony, pool and ocean view. The bed was super comfortable with great linens. Housekeeping excellent. We were still on the "soft opening" price so it had to be the best bargain in the Caribbean.

The drinks at the Bohemia were "hit and miss" either really good or weak - but there was "two for one" from 4-6 each day - even though they kept saying buy one get one half price - that was not the case.

We had our breakfast included and could eat all we wanted at any restaurant, the food was excellent. The staff are still learning(very slow in the Calypso) but aside from that one restaurant, were very friendly and trying extremely hard.

Our luggage was lost, as was our friends(different airlines) - it was frustrating trying to retrieve it - we were notified ours was at the airport - the hotel made very little effort to get it to us kept saying the airline would deliver it, which as it turns out they had no intention of doing, I finally went with one of their bellhops late the second night to get ours - Our friends were never notified and we went to the airport in a cab to check the next day- it was there. The hotel has to work on their Conscierge and St Kitts their airport management (immigration is inefficient).

We found the people on the Island to be the friendliest of the many Caribbean Islands we have been on.

We went to a restaurant called Island Spice, that had just opened - it was excellent, apparently the owner/chef had worked both in the US and at the Four Seasons in Nevis and it showed. We felt the food was comparable to Marshalls, yet slightly less expensive. Our favourite beach bar was Ship Wreck Bar and Grill at Friars Beach(far end). Do NOT go to the Sports Bar - we could finish neither our drinks or hamburgers - don't know how you ruin either - all four of us felt the same. Best Rum Punch at the Circus Bar and Grill downtown.

We hired one of the Hotel Bellhops on his day off, to take us on an Island Tour - was fun and we got to visit places a little different than some of the normal tours.

The Hotel had everything required to be a great resort, good pools, landscaping, rooms, restaurants, casino, golf course, a beach you could walk on and staff trying to please. Hopefully, they can work out a few glitches and have a successful property."

• Travel date: Wed 17th of December 2003

Hotels near St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino

Top traveller tips for St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino

• rsc222 by rsc222

"Find somewhere else to stay, the Four Seasons on the island of Nevis is amazing "

St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino is also called