Exterior

Good

Condado a Bust. Mediocre hotel for upscale price

Reviewed 28th December 2012

"I stayed at the Condado Plaza for my bday with my sister in October, 2003. We expected an elegant hotel, we got a mediocre hotel instead. The staff was not all that accomodating, and the casino was tacky as well. They had the ABSOLUTE WORST RESTAURANT on the same level as the casino. They served microwave food for gourmet prices - appauling. I wouldn't eat that stuff if I was starving. They said they had a beach. YOU CALL THAT A BEACH. It looks like a child's sandbox overlooking the HIGHWAY. we expected more for the price. They boasted the Condado as being the "happening spot". that's an understatement. NOTHING at all is happening in condado. me and my sister walked the whole strip looking for the "trendy-action" as well as a decent beach. It was a desolate strip with a couple of restaurants here and there.. nothing to brag about. We ended up going to the beach by the Marriot and El Canario by the Sea. Again, not much to write home about. The waves were so high, it was not swimmable, not to mention no lifeguards. I feared for my life to dip my feet in that ocean. I suppose if you are a surfer, it's great... swimmer - not great. We went one night to isla verde, and it seemed very "happening", however, i found the crowd there to be of the "tacky" variety. What we did love was Old San Juan, but the people there don't consider that a happening spot. I think they should open some hip clubs there, it would do well. It was my first trip to PR and in general I found the people to resent the "gringo" tourists. SCUSE ME>>>They were not very friendly. I expect friendly hospitable service while on vacation. you get more hospitality in new york than in PR."

• Travel date: 3rd March 2004

Nice Hotel, Would stay again

Reviewed 29th December 2012

"We were at the Condado Feb 6, 2004 for one night pre-cruise. We joined By Request as mentioned in other postings which I think helped a lot. We ended up in an ocean view room which was a nice large room with a large walk in closet with a safe. King bed and a sitting area. If you are looking to do a lot of beach time don't stay here. the beach is across the street and it is small. Pick another hotel. The hotel had many pools. We didn't use because it was raining. We didn't use the casino either (not our bag). We did eat at the breakfast buffet which was very nice. The only problem we had was during check in. They did not have enough people to man the desk and they were not doing anything about it. We stood in line for a half hour and after traveling all day that wasn't a good thing. It was pretty close to old san juan. You can get a taxi right outside and for about $10 you can get to town. The cops don't recommend walking it. It was close (taxi ride) to the cruise ship pier. It is more wise to take a taxi to the pier, instead of buying the cruise ship transfers. you have more control over your time. We would stay here again but if we were staying in PR for a longer stint we would stay at another resort with a great beach."

• Travel date: 3rd March 2004

ok if you plan on day trips elsewhere

Reviewed 29th December 2012

"This hotel is way over priced and no where near as nice as it TRYS to be. My husband and I(28-35yrs old) had a lagoon view room which over looked the roof of the restaurants and contained someones old underwear and their discarded camera. The casino is pretty low class with a lot of stinky smoky stagnant air. Lots of fake gold from the seventys, fake plants. Kinda tacky. The staff was friendly and helpful. Beware of BIG taxes and tariffs even if you supposedly have already paid them via Hotwire. Don Joses(casual Puerto/ Mexican food) located next door has great food and a wonderful ocean view. I also really enjoyed Urdin on the corner of Magdalena and Ashford. The atmosphere is there and the salmon is superb. Go to the rainforest, Old San Juan and take a snorkel trip. Check out the ESJ at night- fun nightclub and lots of decked out people."

• Travel date: 1st March 2004

We had a wonderful experience!

Reviewed 27th December 2012

"After reading the poor reviews, I was apprehensive when I was awarded this hotel on Priceline. The experience was excellent though! The staff was very freindly and helpful, the room was clean and spacious, The public spaces were beatiful! I also called ahead for some chocalates and flowers to be placed in my room for my wife. They went overboard with rose petals on the bed, a bottle of wine and cheese. They did not even charge me. The only short coming of the hotel is their small beach that butts up against a highway, but their pool area is extremely beautiful so it really makes little difference. Overall they went ABOVE AND BEYOND to make me and my wife feel special and I thank the management and staff for that. Remember, when you are angry you will take the time to write , but most people who have a good experience do not bother. Try this hotel and you won't be dissapointed."

• Travel date: 28th February 2004

check reviews before you go!

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"if you go... check reviews for this hotel. during school vacations the price is too high for this place. the city will be great in 5 yrs. the construction is awful, the beach is terrible. old san juan is great, go on a snorkeling trip. rent a car and explore. weather is wonderful, would have enjoyed a resort."

• Travel date: 23rd February 2004

The good and the not great

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"Checked out on 2/20/04. The hotel is at the beginning of the Condado, right by the bridge to Old San Juan. The small beach is public, not very nice, buy beautiful clean water with no waves - the ocean constantly sends clean water into the lagoon. The rooms are nice, and ocean front well worth the additional cost, as the view from the other side is not great. The pool areas are very nice. The line at check-in is a problem at times, but once you're checked in, all works well. The concierge is very helpful. The hotel restaurants are just ok. In the casino the slot machines are not in good shape, and there are few people to help when you have a problem with them. Save your slot money for Vegas, etc. There are local restaurants with $5.00 breakfasts, as opposed to the expensive hotel breakfast. I agree with another poster - my favorite local restaurant for dinner was La Ropa Vieja. It's just a 5 minute walk."

• Travel date: 21st February 2004

Second trip to Wyndham Condado

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"We stayed here the night before our cruise in January of this year and last. For a few extra dollars we stayed on the club floor oceanfront(not at the outragios prices that occasionally appear on Wyndham's website). The room and sevice was above average. I can understand the noise complaints for the rooms facing the street. The pool arae is great especially the water slide which was enjoyed by all the young children and this 60 year old child. The beach is really a city park/beach, a little small and not the most beautiful (it overlooks construction at the Caribe Hilton) But I would recomend it for small children who want to wade. The restaurants seemed a bit pricey so for the second year in a row we had a good meal at the Wakiki down the block."

• Travel date: 9th February 2004

Great location.. a few minor problems

Good
Reviewed 29th October 2012

"My two teenagers and I spent 4 nights here before Christmas. Upon arrival, there were some minor problems with our reservations (did not have my by request with reservations and wrong room type), but this was remedies quickly as they upgraded us to an ocean front view. The view was incredible and we had a very large balcony (many rooms had next to nothing for balconies). The walk in closet was spacious enough for a person to change in while someone else occupied the bathroom. Very helpful for teens!! If you are a beach person, stay somewhere else as the beach was quite dismal. However, the pool area and grounds were very nice for relaxing and enjoying the troical scenery. 1 day at the pools and beach is enough, get out and see Old San Juan or take a trip to Fahardo for snorkling or to see the rain forrest. There were some minor problems with room service not getting orders correct, but it didn't make the vacation a wash-out. Police seem to be everywhere around the Condado area and walking to various places felt very safe. THere are many restaurants close by and the walk in the evenings was quite nice. Overall, a very nice vacation with clean rooms and ok service. I give it an "A" and will go back again!"

• Travel date: 27th January 2004

FUN FUN FUN IN PUERTO RICO

Reviewed 28th December 2012

"I stayed at the WYNDHAM CONDADO HOTEL & CASINO, nICE PLACE FRIENDLY PEOPLE. Our room was ok, not a great view at all. WHat I am warning people about is lack of security when billing food and etc. to your room. You can give any room number and name and bill it to other rooms, no one is matching anything up. It took hours to straight the mix up out. TIme we should have been spending seeing the city instead of standing at the front desk. So please check your bill often.. thanks"

• Travel date: 14th January 2004

Four star rating a joke!

Reviewed 27th December 2012

"This is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in! Four star? Not even close!! The service by the hotel staff was bad, almost antagonistic. Drinks over-priced - $6-7 for a beer? City-view room was so loud - had to buy ear plugs to muffle the street noise. Room was not clean when we checked in. The beach at the hotel was a joke. We were told that guests at one Wyndham could enjoy resources of other Wyndhams on the island... not so!! Staff at other Wyndhams equally as unfriendly and unhelpful. If this room was $100-150/night, I would probably not complain. But for $250+ per night, I expected a clean room, good service and nice amenities. After this experience, I will NEVER stay at another Wyndham hotel!!!"

• Travel date: 5th January 2004