Hotel facade view from the park

The Bats, The Bats, The Bats

Reviewed 15th November 2012

"I don't think people have mentioned how cool the bats are here. They feed every night on the little crabapple-like fruits from a 300 year old tree in the courtyard. If you find a good spot, you can sit and stay still and they will fly right up to you. Worth the price of admission just for that. Also, this hotel really isnt that expensive. $159 through expedia---, and if you factor in the free breakfast and all you can drink wine and cheese hour, you end up with a really great deal."

• Travel date: 14th August 2004

Truly Great Hotel

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"Awesome Hotel, Small, intimate, great rooms, great staff and good restaurants all in one package. Located right in the heart of old San Juan, walk everywhere. I will stay here every trip to Puerto Rico."

• Travel date: 8th August 2004

Absolutely Beautiful

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"Stayed at El Convento for 3 nights before a trip to Vieques. We were SO impressed! We had heard so many bad things about San Juan that we almost did not want to stay over one night, but are so glad we did. We have both traveled extensively and been to some remote places so thought San Juan might be boring (we had heard it was a little Cancun-esque with all the hotels and cruise ships). I think staying at El Convento made all the difference. It's location - right in Old San Juan couldn't be better. [The architecture in Old SJ reminded us of Havana]. It's beautiful, and located right across from a park and adjacent to a cathedral. The streets outside are cobblestone. There were 2 weddings at the cathedral when we were there, and we could hear the music while enjoying a glass of wine from the honor bar on the veranda overlooking the park/cathedral. The room we had was somewhat small, but the ceilings were high and it served its purpose. The breakfast was hearty and we loved sitting out on the veranda in the morning with coffee (as well as evenings). The staff was great and helpful, making reservations for us a recommended restaurants, and even booking flights for us to Vieques. We ate lunch at the courtyard restaurant, and also the Paella restaurant on the second floor (forget the names), both tasty. We were debating between staying here and at the Ritz Carlton (on the beach - you know what to expect), and are SO happy we chose El Convento. I think it gave us a different perspective on San Juan!"

• Travel date: 12th July 2004

El Convento

Reviewed 15th November 2012

"I loved El Convento. It is the most charming hotel I have experienced. Contrary to my fears, I did not in the least miss the expansive pools or polished interiors of more modern hotels. Its location in Old San Juan was great for milling around shops and touring the forts. Rent a car for the beach and other excursions. The wine and cheese hour and continental breakfast were unexpected treats. I was fortunate to get a good rate and plan to stay there on all my visits to San Juan."

• Travel date: 5th July 2004

We loved the El Convento

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"The El Convento was wonderful! My wife and I spent 2 nights of our Puerto Rican honeymoon in Old San Juan in the luxury of the El Convento. It truely is a small luxury hotel. We particularly enjoyed the complimentary continental breakfast as well as the evening wine and cheese. The crown jewel of the stay was during the first night's turndown service. As we arrived back from dinner, we were greated by a sprinkling of yellow and red rose petals on our turned-down bed. It really made us feel that they cared about our stay!"

• Travel date: 26th June 2004

Gorgeous!! Great staff

Reviewed 22nd November 2012

"Staff is very helpful & bilingual. Beautiful center courtyard, peaceful w/ 2 levels of eating, relaxing. Tapas bar overlooks courtyard. Complimentary wine bar and snacks at happy hour, continental breakfast in a.m. Eating area is small as are the rooms. Pool 10 ft X 6 ft, but quite pool area overlooking bay. If you are looking for sterile, big rooms, stay away. Rooms furnished with antiques. Despite room size, it is one of prettier, quiet, European hotels I have stayed in. Location is in center of Old San Juan - very convenient for walking to the area sites."

• Travel date: 17th June 2004

Very Home-y

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"This has to be one of the best hotels I've stayed at. It's not huge and very homey. Right across the street from a Catholic church. I saw two local weddings that took place there and had their reception at El Convento's court yard. Very cool. The rooms were fairly sized. Our's over looked the bay and swimming pool. I definitely recommend it to everyone. And it's walking distance to all the shops. GUESS, RALPH LAUREN, and all sorts of local cuisine as well as a few French restaurants."

• Travel date: 10th June 2004

Good choice

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"This is a beautiful hotel. The rooms are small but clean and nicely appointed. We ate at two of the resturants and they were delicious but too expensive I felt. But you will be able to convince yourself it was worth it... NOTE: If you staying at this hotel on a Monday, everything in the neighborhood is closed, and we did not find another restaurant open. I don't know if it was a state holiday but we were bothered when we had to eat at the hotel again -but the food was great. Check on this if you plan to be there on a Monday. The pool is quite small, not meant for more than one couple at at time, so don't plan for laps. The outdoor whirlpool was perfectly fine. Be sure to vists the old Spanish military forts a few blocks away... Be wary of the cab drivers... Someone wanted to charge us $80.00 to drive us to the rainforests, so we skipped that."

• Travel date: 8th June 2004

WONDERFUL HOTEL!!

Reviewed 22nd November 2012

"We stayed at this hotel in August, 2003 (pre/post Caribbean Cruise). This was our second time staying at the hotel since we had visited the hotel during our honeymoon in 1991. This hotel is beautiful!! We love the decorative steps, tiles, and art throughout the hotel. The breakfast buffet and evening snacks was nice. The front desk staff and bell staff were helpful. The location in Old San Juan is great. If you are traveling with children, the wonderful San Juan Children's Museum is a few steps from the front entrance. Since we stayed at the hotel twice in August, we were able to experience two very different types of room. Our first room was probably the basic room for the hotel which is very nice when compared to other San Juan hotels. The room was clean, nicely decorated and comfortable. When we returned for our second stay in August, they upgraded us to a suite which was incredible!! (at no additional cost--since this was our "2nd honeymoon" and we stayed at the hotel for our "1st honeymoon"--it was very thoughful). We have traveled to Europe, Africa, Asia, United States, Caribbean, Canada and South America. The suite was the most beautiful room that we have ever experienced! The suite was the size of an apartment, very spacious, beautiful decor, sunken whirlpool tub, huge closet, etc. It was the perfect way to end our San Juan trip--I still look at the photos and video of this "dream" suite". We look forward to returning to this outstanding hotel in the future!!"

• Travel date: 3rd June 2004

the best hotel ever

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"The El Covento is the most beautyful hotel I know. I stayed last year two times at the Caribbian Hilton, but the El Covento is over the Top. Stayed there from 05/17/04 until 05/21/04 and had a wonderful time. The room was wonderful decorated, clean - perfect; a very helpfull und lovely staff, a great place in Old San Juan and really everything was perfect. I hope to return very soon to this little Paradise in Old San Juan."

• Travel date: 26th May 2004