The Presidential Suite at the Cervantes

About Cervantes

Exquisite

Reviewed 16th December 2012

"Reminded me of a classic small European hotel: restaurant in the lobby, attentive and unobtrusive service in restaurant and hotel. Knew us when we walked in. Room the most elegant I have seen in North America. I was very tired and never awakened to noise which some may have heard."

• Travel date: 14th February 2008

Never again

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"Bad managment , the service was ok but there are some things they need to improve. To much noise at nigth, can't sleep at all, and if you travel with kids not recomended, they don't have place for kids, nothing to do, the hotel is too expensive and do not offer anything. You Know... Luxury it's not everything."

• Travel date: 5th January 2008

Good option in Old San Juan

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"After the initial shock of how expensive and basic most accommodation is in old San Juan, we decided to give this new property a try. We were pleasantly surprised. The location is perfect if you want to see old San Juan and go out at night. The standard rooms were small but stylish and very well appointed. The bathroom was good sized, modern and comfortable. Not that mad about the glass doors though. Everybody at reception was helpful and pleasant and breakfast was great. One warning: we stayed here during the weekend, and the streets that surround the hotel do get quite noisy with people in the streets and music from clubs, so if you are a light sleeper or like quiet places I wouldn´t stay here on a weekend."

• Travel date: 22nd October 2007

nightmare stay at the chateau cervantes

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"upon check in at 1100 hrs on aug 25th 2007, front desk failed to inform us of an existing airconditioning problem throughout the twelve room hotel. after checking into the hotel and dropping our bags in our rooms we proceded to tour the beautiful city of "old san juan". we did not return to our rooms until 2130 hrs. even at this late hour front desk did not inform us the problem at hand. first clue we had was the room thermostat was not working. when i reached the front desk we were finally told about the a/c problem. at 2400 hrs we awoke in a drenching sweat had no choice but to take several cold showers. and if that wasn't an inconvinience at 0130 the construction generators kicked from the building renovation job right across the street from our room balcony. at this time we called the front desk again to complain and document our calls and times because we planed to take this up with managment first thing in the morning. at 0600 hrs we no longer could stand the heat so we exited the hotel only to find the front door locked. after calling out for someone and walking around the lobby area i encountered a sleeping clerk on the couch. after unlocking the door and letting us out for some badly needed cool air, took in a beautiful sunrise from the "old san juan waterfront district". after returning to the hotel at 0800 hrs i spoke to edwin the front desk supervisor about our complaints and requested the documented calls we placed to the front desk through out the night. apparentlly he unable to find anything. i requested to speak to the general manager or the owner of the hotel but to no avail. myself as well as another party staying with us requested an adjustment in our bill or even a discount for the horrible evening we spent at this hotel. edwin informed us that he would call angel at home"general manager". upon checkout he told us that the manager could not be reached and nothing at this point could be done for us. he also said that someone from managment would reach us by cell phone while we stayed elswhere in san juan. he gladly closed our accounts at full price with my american express card. to this day 09/02/07 no one has made an attempt to reach us to even apologize for that horrible stay at the chateau cervantes. i will never again recommend this hotel to any friends or relatives."

• Travel date: 1st September 2007

Nice Room, Bad Management

Reviewed 4th December 2012

"My boyfriend and I decided to try Chateau Cervantes during our recent trip to San Juan. It was our five year anniversary, and we wanted to stay somewhere luxurious. Our first problem with the hotel was when we booked by phoning them directly. Although my boyfriend repeated the dates numerous times, when we recieved the online confirmation it was for completely diferent dates and months (we realized later that the manageress that we dealt with during the weekend, was the person who made the mistake booking). We really wanted to love the hotel, we live in the Caribbean and travel to San Juan quite often, and have yet to find a hotel that we love (El Convento has beautiful grounds but the rooms are very basic). Our room was very small but very nice (we stayed in a superior). I loved the fact that the bed was extremely plush and comfortable, our closet was large, we had a large flatscreen TV with MANY channels to choose from, and a well appointed marble bathroom. The room won me over completely, and if we hadn't had to deal with the lack of professional management, we would return every time to Chateau Cervantes. However the management was TERRIBLE! We had no hot water in our room. The only person there at night was the restaurant manager (this was at 7:15 and we had 8:00 reservations at a restaurant), who was really sweet but not equipped to deal with hotel guests (and I should point out, is not her job to). She gave me a key to shower in a nearby room. The next morning we complained about our lack of hot water to the lady at the front desk (who I think was supposed to be the manager). She never apologized, just gave us a key to the room next door (which was identical to ours). We then had to pack up everything and move ourselves, no assistance was offered. The next morning I got awoken at 8:00 in the morning by the construction on the building directly next door to our room. It went on nonstop. It was impossible to sleep through (and I am a VERY heavy sleeper), with jackhammering and drills, and though we had been at the Casino until vey late the night before, we had to get up and escape the noise. Again, the same manager offered no apologies or assistance. Luckily we were checking out that day anyway. I suggested that they put ear plugs in the rooms. The construction noise would only bother people sleeping in the rooms in the back, on similar floors to which they were working on. If we had been put in a front room, we wouldn't have been disturbed by the noise. We never saw another guest while we there, and while I don't think we were the only guests, I doubt the hotel was more than half booked. We were never offered assistance to our room, in fact when we checked in with manager on our first day, she wasn't even sure what floor our room was on!!!!!! This is a hotel with 12 rooms! The manager was aware it was our anniversary (we told her on the phone, and she wished us a happy anniversary the first morning). We did feel that with the problems we had, they could have offered to upgrade us, or at least put a bottle of bubbly in our room at some point. For the price you pay, I expected the staff to be more helpful. We often opted to do things ourselves (like booking dinner reservations or calling cabs) than ask the manager, as we felt we were putting her out whenever we did. Ironically, we went to El Convento for lunch, and when we realized the Tapas Bar was closed, the ladies at the reception desk there were extremely helpful and polite, and phoned around to find out which restaurants would be open. Their level of professionalsim was much higher than at Chateau Cervantes. We are in the hospitailty business in the Caribbean, and are used to service levels here. We felt that Chateau Cervantes should hire new more professional management. If they did, we would return in a heartbeat. The room was plush, the location was great. This is a hotel that could be wonderful."

• Travel date: 2nd July 2007

An oasis in a bustling area.....

Reviewed 16th December 2012

"I booked CC because we tend to like smaller properties and this one looked especially nice in an area of large chain hotels. We were not disappointed. With just a handful of rooms (12, I think) it is intimate. Yet they have a very upscale bar and restaurant which is a great convenience. We were in the standard room - the cheapest available. Although small, it was very well appointed and the bathroom was a good size. The location was great - central to walking around the city and eating at good restaurants. The service was very friendly and attentive. I would recommend CC to anyone looking for upscale, romantic, central location."

• Travel date: 11th June 2007

Great hotel

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"We went to Puerto Rico in March 17-24 and stayed at Chateau Cervantes the 17th through the 21st. Everything about our stay was excellent right from the beginning (when they stayed on the phone to give our taxi driver detailed directions). The staff was extremely responsive to our needs, including looking up phone numbers and recommending travel options. It is a small hotel, so they are able to give personalized attention. It is in a great location in old San Juan. I would definitely stay there again!"

• Travel date: 29th March 2007

Loved It!

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"A fabulous boutique hotel in Old San Juan. Recently opened with warm, gracious staff, high end finishes, and an overall attention to detail. We stayed for three nights in March 2007 and were surprised and impressed by this new spot. The room was well appointed --- heavenly bed and linens, marble bathroom with turkish towels and robes, plasma tv, etc. The complimentary breakfast in their restaurant was divine. Homemade breads, jams, fresh fruit, and French and Spanish cheeses. The cafe con leche each morning was comparable to the famous La Bombonera up the street. The restaurant is one of the top in the city. Attentive, excellent staff...we highly recommend! Can't wait for our next visit to Chateau Cervantes. Dine at the Dragonfly around the corner (call ahead and put your name on the list) and have tapas and sangria at El Picoteo. For a terrific lunch, seek out the Venezuelan Arepas place. Check out the recently renovated art museum near the San Jose church too. PS Old San Juan is a busy night spot, so bring ear plugs for any hotel you stay at."

• Travel date: 24th March 2007

A True Boutique Hotel

Reviewed 4th December 2012

"Chateau Cervantes is in a great location in Old San Juan. Upon first walking into the hotel, it was evident that it was a very small property, but well decorated and modern nonetheless. The staff was very pleasant and helpful and offered the complimentary continental breakfast to be delivered to our room in the morning. The only downers: the balcony door opening up to the street isn't the most sound proof so it got pretty noisy at night during the weekend; and, while the superior room was really nice in decor and amenities, it was really small compared to a standard hotel room."

• Travel date: 3rd January 2007

Good Location and Beautiful Installations!!!! (Thumbs Up)

Reviewed 21st October 2012

"I traveled to Puerto Rico early July and well I picked about three hotels because I was going to be moving thru different cities and one of my picks was The Cervantes Hotel. My pick came after days of searching the web and being undecided but I was glad because the place was really nice at the end. The hotel's installations are pretty new and out of all the hotels this one had the best and newest bathrooms (which to me is really important). The hotel itself does not provide valet parking but there is a parking lot right across from it and they will stamp your ticket so it is all good. The door man was very helpful, he showed us to our room and gave a brief explanation of the use of tv and so forth. I believe most rooms have a balcony if not all of them and they all have views to some street from Old San Juan so to be honest view wise its all pretty much the same. As for what is in the area, well there are a couple restaurants ( sushi and italian caught my eye), there is a place called Pool Palace ( not a mistery what you can do there) and couple bars I believe but not quite sure. The hotel itself is not very large it falls under what I like to think of as Boutique Hotel but is really nice and warm. I must say It is not a family hotel since kids would not have much to do around but its perfect for married couple not traveling with kids, people troubling on their own or similar. Hopefully my review will be helpful and enjoy your stay if you decide to choose this hotel."

• Travel date: 2nd August 2006

Hotels near Cervantes

Cervantes is also called

• cervantes hotel san juan
  • cervantes san juan