About Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort

• shuttle bus service
  • self serve laundry
  • free airport transportation
  • hot tub
  • free shuttle or taxi services
  • tennis court
  • butler service
  • lazy river
  • water park

Good

Royal Decamoron nice for the price

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"My husband and I just came back from our honeymoon in Jamacia. We stayed at the Royal Decamoron resort June 11 - 15, 2003 and it was about what we had imagined. It wasnt the best resort in town but it was priced just right for us.For starters when we arrived at the Jamacia airport, we were lead to a tour bus and there we sat for 2 hours waiting on another couple to arrive before we could head to our hotel.The ride to the hotel seemed very long,and yes the roads there are worse then PA., I got alittle nausea with the ride, the bus driver scared us several times with his poor driving skills. When we then arrived at the Royal Decamoron we were greeted by the staff who insisted on carrying our bags, the front desk personnel wasnt as friendly as i had imagined but we proceeded to our beachfront cottage where the gentleman that carried our bags insisted on a tip even know in our all-inclusive package, tips are included. So we tipped him anyway. Our cottage was very nice, clean and cool we had towels but no wash cloths.. So the second day i requested wash cloths and the maid did leave some.Make sure you take your own shampoo because this resort doesnt provide it like the hotels in USA.The food was good, Im a picky eater so what they had i didnt eat much of it, my husband enjoyed it though. The wait staff was very friendly and the entertainment was nice. The bars do serve you drinks in very small cups, so my advice to you is take acouple mugs from walmart with you.They provide free cigerettes at the main bar, so if you smoke dont be afraid to ask the bar tenders for acouple smokes.They arent Marlboros but they werent bad.The only problem we had with the resort staff in our 5 day stay was some of the staff constantley asked my husband and I if we wanted to buy pot!! After acouple days they finally got the hint though. We went to the Dunns River Falls which was very nice and refreshing, the only problem there were the jamacian hustlers gave us a hard time. We went horse back riding at the Annandale Estate/Plantation.. It was a long bus ride to get there but it was well worth it, we were treated very nice there and had a wonderful time. Overall it was a very nice place to visit but its nice to be back on American soil. I would highly recommend this resort if your looking for something reasonable and you are not looking to be wined and dined,if so you better stay at the Ritz. Take advantage of the watersports offered at the resort also, we did and we loved it. I will definitely go back."

• Travel date: Fri 20th of June 2003

Breezes Runaway Bay - A great time!

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"I have recently read other reviews that gave Breezes Runaway Bay a poor review. My sister and I have been to Breezes Runaway Bay several times and we love it. DO NOT go to Breezes Montego Bay - made that mistake 1 time. That is subject for another review. We have never had a bad time at RB. It is worth the bus trip. Have fun on the bus - consider it part of your vacation. Get drinks at the stop on the way. We go to Breezes because it is an "adult only" resort. Not that we don't like children, but on vacation, we don't want to worry about other people's children. We have been there at all times during the year and the weather has always been great. If it does happen to rain one day, the staff makes sure there is something fun to do. We have met so many people at Breezes, staff and guests. And we keep in touch with many of them. Hi to Charley and Nikki from Texas! - See you in July 2003. We had "no problem" getting drinks from any of the bars. If there was a problem getting a specific alcohol at a bar - we asked for it and the next day it was there. The drinks flow freely and we have a great time getting the bartenders to make us "their specialty". The food at the buffet is always delicious with a great variety. Order a continental breakfast to your room every morning - coffee, tea, juice, danish - very nice to have after a night of drinking. We usually eat jerk chicken for lunch from the beach grill, but the lunch buffet offers something for everyone. The Starlight grill has good food and you are waited on a little more. We went to Martino's one night. The food was great but we won't go back. It would be nice for couples who want a nice romantic dinner. If you want to be around the action, eat at the buffet, listen to the house band and enjoy the show. Check out the piano bar, but please don't as the poor man to sing "Piano Man". I cannot imagine how many time he has to play that song just in one week. One night they have Karoake - other guests seem to love iun, remember you are in Jamaica! I hope this review is helpful to those people who are looking for a place to stay in Jamaica."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of June 2003

Shabby for a Superclub Resort

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"A friend and myself just came back from a five night-six day stay at this resort. The Internet and brochure photos lead us to believe this was going to be an awesome vacation however they were very misleading. We arrived Monday and were taken by bus (1 hour and 45 minutes from the airport) to the resort. Upon arrival it was chaos. Finally they took us to the piano bar and tried to sort things out. Finally they told us to give them 30 minutes or so to pick up our keys but to go have lunch. After lunch and a walk on the beach we processed back to the front desk and were given a room key. The hallway was shabby with god-awful paint and repairmen working on the ceiling wood. The room was HOT!!!! No air conditioning at all. Well, it was 90 some degrees outside and the room was about 120. Between the front desk and the manager on duty (he had a major league attitude) they only thing they could do was give us a fan and were told to keep the blinds closed. It took 2 days for the room to cool down but we had to keep the fan running and the curtains shut tight to keep it cool all week. The other problem is the electricity that went out in the entire complex at least once a day. Wednesday night it went out 5 times while we were getting ready for dinner. The pool grounds look like hell. Crumbling pavement and what is "suppose" to be a lap pool is nothing more than a dirty watering hole off of the game room. The food at Martino's is excellent but be prepared to be hungry after as portions are small. The Starlight Grill is your best dinner bet. Drinks of any type flowed freely. The entertainment staff is a great bunch of people. Very friendly and great to meet. The front desk and management staff could take a clue from this staff. The buffet was generally good with alot of selections. The off-site tours were very well run and a good price for the tour. Basically I felt we were mislead in a number of areas (room, condition of the hotel, management, electrical problems). For a Superclub resort this is noel is substandard in cleanliness, shabby furniture. electrical problems everytime I plugged something in it would spark). However, we met alot of nice people both on vacation and in the entertainment staff who made our vacation a great experience."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of June 2003

This resort was more then I expected...

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"Coming from Hawaii, we are use to exceptional service and quality and that is exactly what we got. My husband (age 32) and I (age 25) went there for 5 days and 4 nights and wish we would of stayed longer. We booked the Super Surprise because there are just few surprises in this world anymore. Six days prior to leaving we where assigned to Breezes Runaway Bay. We where excited that it was NOT Breezes Mo Bay and decided a head of time that we could have fun anywhere we went. Flying from Hawaii to DFW then onto Jamaica was already a long flight, but the ride to Breezes seemed LONGER. Once we arrived at the resort around 8:00PM we went to the Beach Terrance and at dinner. The food was good for buffet style. We are use to eating a lot of Jamaica food, so eating the Jamaican food was great to use. We had decided that night we would just relax and start first thing in the morning. Every day after that was great. We would eat breakfast, relax at the beach until lunch, eat lunch, drink at the bar and then watch the sunset. It was GREAT. We took advantage of all the water sports the resort had to offer. We went sailing and let me tell youit was great. You get to view all the other resorts and the island. We went on the glass bottom boat ride. This gave us a chance to go and see the reef without going getting wet. The guy will also tell you all about the reef around Jamaica and the plants you are looking atthis is a must if you like scuba or snorkeling. We also participated in the games the entertainment department put together. Everyone should play, it is fun and you win prizes like Rum and Coffee. However, dont listen to Crazy Chris he will give you wrong answers to the questions, but he is fun to watch. We liked the beach bar the best Ask for Audrey or Mr. Tingle to make you a Humming Bird It is GREAT. We knew a head of time that all the outside activities would be extra, so that didnt come as a surprise to us. We went on the shopping trip to Ocho Rios for $15 a person and then to Dunns Rivers Falls for $25 the driver what type of stuff you are looking for and they will take you there. We went to some stories, but mainly stayed at the Craft Market there. That is interesting it reminded me of Mexicos Open Markets. Like everything else, you just have to say NO and they will leave you alone. It is worth the money to shop, we bought so much stuff REALLY CHEAP. Dunns River Falls is a must and resort will make the reservations for that as well. If you are interested in art pieces, the resort artist Lawrence will make you a one of a kind. He made us one and it was great. They also offer Craft Activities, this was funyou paint on t-shirts, canvas and nails. Whatever you make you get to take home. We have stayed at several resorts all over the world and really enjoyed this one and would go back and recommend this to anyone. The staff is friendly, the property is clean and green, the food is good, (Try the Starlight Grill one night we really enjoyed that.) and the atmosphere is awesome. If you are looking for a relaxing resort AWAY from a lot of thingsthis is the place. If you are looking for a resort that has several places within walking distancethis is no the place to go."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of June 2003

Stayed at Breezes 5.15.2003 - 5.18.2003

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"Hey all. I really used the reviews here to know what to expect out of our weekend getaway, so its only fair I do my share and post my thoughts.My wife and I went to Breezes last weekend with 4 friends. We're all late 20s, early 30s professional types, just so you have a point of reference. We haven't travelled outside of the US extensively, just a few times to Mexico and Canada so we weren't sure what to expect from Jamaica. It was a pretty decent trip overall, but I'm not sure we'd go back. Not that Breezes is a bad place to stay, but once you walk around the hotel grounds you've seen all you're going to see until you leave, pretty much. We were used to Mexico where you can just hop in a cab and head to a happening night spot for dancing. You can't really do that here, so you have to make do with the entertainment at the resort, which is decent. The entertainment staff is good (Crazy Chris lives up to his name) and the 'house band' really has some chops. I think while we were there we saw them play behind everything from a trio of disco singers to some pretty heavy jazz. There is one downside. I never thought I'd say this, but I think if I had to hear one more reggae song someone was going to get thrown a beating. The disco was normally deserted, due in most part to the lack of actual dance music being played there. An evening beside the piano bar is highly recommended, but leave before the rednecks start shouting to get the poor guy to play Freebird. Musicians just love it when you yell at them, by the way.The food was good but not great. You can eat at the buffet every meal pretty much and get something different every time. Great variety. Skip the "fancy" restaraunt. You're not missing anything. Stick to the buffet, the grill on the beach, and the outdoor cafe where you pick your food and they prepare it for you, which was excellent.We were pretty disappointed in the bars. I understand they're not really motivated to hook you up since it's all-inclusive, but we had to work pretty harbout sustaining any sort of buzz, you just can't pull it off unless you sit at a bar and work at it. You have to do too much walking for the watered-down refreshments they pour here. They need a swim-up bar in the worst way. If you feel like cutting loose, go to the gift shop and throw down $20 on a bottle or two of rum and grab a couple cokes to mix your own. Small price to pay. If you prefer refreshment of a herbal variety you won't have to look too hard for that either. Before we had even gotten to the hotel we'd been offered by several people. If they don't come looking for you, just make friends with a bartender. It's really cheap and really potent. Not that I know personally, a guy I know knew a guy that had a friend who found out from his cousin.Other than that you really don't have to worry about cash in this place. I exchanged $20 at the airport for 'walking around' money and never spent a dime of it. Do yourself a favor though and tip the folks cleaning your room. Take a couple of the roses that they leave in their towel-animal sculpture and lay them on top of a couple bucks so that they know it's a tip. They do a great job, and you want to keep the people who have unlimited access to your stuff pretty happy.Beach: beautiful. Pool: decent. Could use more shady spots in addition to that swim-up bar and could stand to be a few degrees colder. Nude beach: really really nice. Secluded so you don't feel too shy about taking advantage of the situation. Plus, if you're brave enough to let it all hang out (pun intended) you are justly rewarded with access to the super-secret nude beach bar there where you can mix your own drinks just the way you like them. Unless you were raised by the parents on Little House on the Prairie I could give you no better advice than to give the nude beach a try. Even if for no other reason than to say you did it. I didn't think I'd try it but I'm glad I did. Now I can tell my grandchildren someday.In all, we had a pretty good time. You can have a really relaxing time here if you ca is what you get for this trip. If you haven't been to Jamaica yet and are looking for something laid back, I feel confident recommending the place to you. If you're looking for something more exciting in the nightlife, excursion, or shopping categories, skip this island entirely and book a flight somewhere like Mexico or Hawaii.If you're interested in more information than my ramblings here have provided feel free to email me. I do love to chatter on about things so don't be shy. If you happened to be at Breezes the same weekend we were and have some stories or pictures to share by all means shoot me an email as well. Unless the pictures you have are nude ones of me on the beach. Those are all over the internet already."

• Travel date: Wed 21st of May 2003

Breezes Runaway Bay SUCKED!

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"Breezes Runaway Bay was horrible. The ride to the hotel was terrifying. The driver had no interest in passengers safety. We arrived a day late because we missed our plane, and the room was not even ready when we arrived! We had to wait 2 hours until our room was ready. The rooms are pretty shabby, and there were ants in the room. When I alerted the staff to the ant problem, it took them 2 days to exterminate the room, by this time I had already been bitten by the ants! The food was centered around the buffet which was pretty bad. The staff was rude and unhelpful. It seemed like you were bothering them when you asked them for help. Everything was way overpriced (i.e. $5.00 for a USA Today newspaper that costs 50 cents in the USA). It seemed like they were trying to take advantage of the fact that the guests didn't have access to transportation to go to other stores. There were no ATM machines on the premise which was ridiculous. All-inclusive really didn't mean all-inclusive because you had to pay to leave the resort. Customer satisfaction was not much of a concern at Breezes Runaway Bay. The experience was bad and I don't think I will ever return to Jamaica based on this experience. I would rather spend my money in Europe, or the USA. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY GOING TO THIS RESORT."

• Travel date: Fri 16th of May 2003

Breezes is Wonderful!

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"Breezes is a great place to stay in Jamaica if you are planning on vacationing on that side of the island. The staff is very friendly and accomodating. The rooms were clean and spacious. The air conditioning is not the coolest and there was a slight musty smell in the ground floor rooms. The food was above average. There was always something to choose from even if you are a picky eater. The pool was great, beach so-so. Great workout area if you are into that. There are all kinds of drinks to try. The Pelican Bar makes them the best! Try a Miami Vice or Hummingbird. The staff trys to get everyone involved. They do a great job. Chris is alot of fun. If you want to go to Ocho Rios for a day hire a driver. We hired "Bugsy". Delroy "Slick" Carter a bartender can set it up for you. It is a little cheaper but you can be gone as long as you want. No time limit. Very safe. Buy souveniors "t-shirts" anywhere but the airport. Buy alcohol, cigars, perfume at the airport. You can go to Hedo III for a day if you want. Very wild but fun for a day! I read alot of reviews before we left. I hoped I had made a good decision to stay at Breezes. After returning I would recommend Breezes to anyone. I am very hard to please. I would give Breezes a solid 4 Stars!"

• Travel date: Wed 7th of May 2003

Breezes Runaway Bay - 4/26 to 5/3/03!

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"This was our first all inclusive vacation experience. We were booked in the Superclubs "Super Surprise" package (the only way we could afford to go to a Superclubs resort!). We were assigned Breezes Runaway Bay as our hotel about 4 days prior to our departure.The resort was absolutely gorgeous. Everything was spotless, the grounds were immaculate, and the staff were accommodating and friendly in every way. Everything you could possibly want to see or do can be done right from the resort (tour desk, beach, snorkeling, scuba, activities, theme nights, etc...). Any minor problems we had were fixed within a couple hours by the hotel staff.We also did the "Hooves" horseback riding tour. This was a great experience though we paid for it for a couple days afterwards with soreness and sunburn! You actually get to ride the horses in the ocean, and that is a special treat if you've never done it.We will definitely go back to Breezes if we get the chance. Jamaica is a beautiful island though unfortunately it is very poor outside the resort areas."

• Travel date: Tue 6th of May 2003

Breezes Runaway Bay

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"First off, I'd like to let you know that I've been checking out these reviews for a few months and intended to write my own after our vacation to Breezes Runaway Bay (BRB) 17-22 April. So whether it was bad or good, I would write about it. We're a 30ish couple that love the outdoors, are mellow folks, and definitely enjoy tieing one on now and again.Overall, I would not recommend BRB if you intend on getting a true feel for the people of Jamaica, its culture, and its food. BRB will provide a glimpse, and that is all. For example, for each meal at the terrace buffet, there is one select Jamaican entree (e.g. ackey and saltfish at breakfast). I thought the food was good and the selection was large, but it was mostly focused on...you guessed it American fare. I would have enjoyed more local dishes. Martino's was excellent, but once again, it had an Italian menu. The Starlight Grill was good as well, but it had a stir fry menu with I believe a terriaki sauce. The beach grill did serve Jamaican Jerk Chicken, which we loved, although they only had it one of the four days that we tried to get a taste.That is a theme at BRB...you will either be elated or disappointed, and in the end mediocrity prevails. It's unfortunate. We're in the midst of planning a wedding so I was sooooo looking forward to the "no problem mon" relaxing and stressfree vacation. "No problem mon" sometimes translated to "sorry we cannot help you with that" or "too bad our marketing is not accurate...that actually does cost money." For example, we arrived around 2:00pm and check in was at 3:00. We were told to return to the desk to check in at 3:30. We had no problem with that since we were excited to check out the grounds and ocean, which were both very gorgeous and soothing. When we returned to check in at 3:45, however, we were told "no problem mon" for about an hour before we finally got our room keys. Please keep in mind that we are mellow folks that are not pretenK, so the good stuff: SCUBA is free, unless you do the night dive for $45. It was awesome. If you're not certified, you can take a two-hour pool lesson in the morning and go in the afternoon. Richie, our dive instructor, was very helpful and no BSing type of guy. The food was good overall, but we are Northlanders so fresh fruit and vegatables that haven't been shipped from hundreds of miles away are always appealing. And don't expect to truly experience the local flavors. Staff...OK I guess. To be honest, I sensed service under a thin veil of resentment. With good reason. The country's economy is driven by tourism, and there is a deep and recent past with slavery. What it really comes down to is BRB is nice resort that provides all the ammenities Americans enjoy. If you want an American experience in a warm tropical Jamaican climate with the occasional reggae tune, free Red Stripe, and perhaps a genuine native or two, then go here. If you're like us, and you want to experience the actual place (i.e. Jamaica, its people, its food and its culture), do not go here. We thought it'd be simple to get out on our own to explore, but it's not. They won't even let you call your own taxi. After an initial shock, I grew to like the room. It was totally outdated, the tub didn't drain, and are view consisted partially of a barbwire fence. How could I grow to like it, you may ask? Perhaps that's a good indication of BRB and a long-awaited vacaction. It's truly always what you make of it!"

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of April 2003

We're going back!

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"April 8, 2003 - April 15, 2003 Food - Really good with a lot of variety every day plus the service in the reservation-only restaurant, Martino's, surpassed any restaurant we have ever been in. The food was perfect!Activities - Couldn't do them all because there are just too many. All were fun. Staff - Each and every staff member treated us like royalty. They have mastered the art of making someone feel welcome!Facility - OK, we didn't have hot water every morning and one morning we didn't have any water at all...but you know what, that's OK because the rooms (and the whole resort) are absolutely, 100% spotless. They made up our room twice each day. Beach - Very nice, certainly large enough to not feel too crowded. One secluded section is au naturale. Beach food - Deserves it's own headline. Hamburgers, hot dogs and jerk chicken. We had jerk chicken every day except one (we were gone). It's that good! Organization - It may seem like they aren't real close to a schedule and that nothing is going to happen when it should, but everything is under control from when you check in to when you check out. They are on top of things, for sure.This was our first all-inclusive. We usually go on cruises and we love them, but Breezes Runaway Bay is going to edge out the next one or two. We're going back!"

• Travel date: Tue 15th of April 2003