The Blue House Boutique Bed & Breakfast

White River Estates, Ocho Rios Caribbean Jamaica

Good

Boutique, Luxury Hotel

"We stayed at The Blue House for six days with our two young children and were thrilled with the accommodations, the generosity and the food. This was nothing less than the best experience we could have had in Jamaica as a family, no doubt. Our children are picky eaters and the first evening we were there, Elise sat down with us and asked the children what they wanted to eat. And then they provided those things. All the while making the most delicious, authentic Jamaican cuisine for us each meal.

We stayed in the Cozy Cottage behind the house and found it perfect for our needs. It had enough privacy that we didn't worry about our children bothering other guests, and the fact that we were near our children while sleeping, but not exactly in the same room meant that our youngest could nap each day uninterrupted. And when the children went to bed each night, we could enjoy Jamaica Rum Cream on the veranda.

Darryl and Elise shuttled us to the beach, shopping and local attractions and we were very grateful for that. They provide top-notch service for their guests and genuinely care, a rarity in these times.

We will be back to The Blue House, no question."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of March 2008

what a gem!

"my boyfriend and I just spent 5 AMAZING nights at the Blue House. It could not have been a more special experience!

Elise and Daryl treated us like family. Why spend time in an all inclusive hotel where you could be anywhere in the world? The Blue House lets you experience the real Jamaica. with stunning reggae beach nearby, the Jamaican countryside on the way to Bob Marleys house and Bettys orchid garden leading to a beautiful crystal blue river.
Daryl the blue house chef created authentic Jamaican meals with such flavour. The best jerk pork and cassava pancakes on the island. My boyfriend is vegetarian and he still managed to make divine meals for him also. We discovered new fruits such as bread fruit, akee, soursap and nazeberrys that taste like sweet cinnamon cake. Eating breakfast on the terrace looking out at the lush mountains and the tree covered in humingbirds was just paradise.

This is such a hidden gem I almost dont want anyone to know about it!

cant wait to go back"

• Travel date: Sat 1st of March 2008

Blue House = Perfection

"I can not begin to explain what a wonderful experience my girlfriend and I just had while staying at The Blue House in Ochos Rios.

TRUE 5 star treatment without 5,000 tourists. If you are looking for the real Jamaica and not some watered down Caribbean experience via a large chain hotel then please visit the small 5 person staff led by Elise (The Hostess with the Mostess) at The Blue House in a truly unspoiled natural environment. BUT do not worry about amenities, there are massages, private tours(with a true locals input), exquisite gardens, pools, and freshwater rivers all at your fingertips. Coming to the Blue House is like visiting family. The food is beyond words. If you want authentic jerk, curries, stews, festivals, rundown, runabout, fried fish, etc then Daryl the extraordinarily talented brother of the owner will continuously surprise you with fabulous culinary delights.

Book NOW !!!"

• Travel date: Fri 29th of February 2008

Beautiful Setting with Beautiful People

"Our expectation of Jamaica was a mixture of excitement and nervous anxiety. However, from the moment we arrived at the Blue House, the nervousness went away. A sense of tranquility and peace of mind took over. Elise and Darryl greeted us with the warmth of a long awaited visit from a close friend or relative. The Blue House is nestled a top of a hill within walking distance to the White River. The property is landscaped to almost perfection with small trees and flowers, thanks to Bookie. At night, you can hear the sounds of birds soothing your ears and relaxing your mind. I can’t describe with sufficient eloquence how nice it felt to walk about the property and enjoy the view. Pictures don’t do it enough justice. It’s a place you have to experience for yourself. You will not be disappointed. What I can say is that Elise made us feel more than just guests at a B&B. She gave us valuable insights into the Jamaican culture and we had interesting conversations through out our stay. Since this was our first trip to Jamaica, Elise arranged for a driver, David, to take us to various locations. As with everyone connected with the Blue House, David is more than just a driver. David is a friend that drove us safely through treacherous roads.
We planned to have dinner 2 of the 4 nights we stayed, but Darryl’s cooking enchanted our taste buds; therefore, we made the obvious choice to eat dinner every night. To call his food home-style or native would be unjust. His cooking is gourmet without being pretentious. It was mouthwatering! The food was so full of flavor that is was impossible not to have seconds. We loved the jerk lamb.
If you want a resort with no personal touch and buffet food, the Blue House is not for you. If you want the real Jamaican experience with delicious food and great people, then Blue House is the right choice. Our only regret is that we didn’t spend more time at the Blue House. We will remember Jamaica fondly thanks to our stay at the Blue House.

Javi & Monika"

• Travel date: Fri 29th of February 2008

The B&B with a twist

"my boyfriend and I stayed at the Blue House for 10 nights and it was absolutely amazing. The service was impeccable especially the food. I enjoyed the jerk pork and the shrimp pasta the most. It was truly like being with family and the grounds were kept immaculate by the gardner bookie. The pool was nice and cool and the place was always kept clean. I was a bit apprehensive about going to a B&B in Jamaica as it doesnt carry the big name as some of the resort do but definitely the best decision I made. Thanks to everyone at the Blue House for making my vacation one to remember. A special thanks to Elise & Daryll for the family dinner. Already planning my next trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sam & Stu"

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of February 2008

Absolutly Perfect

"My husband and I spent 4 nights at the Blue House and we are so pleased that we decided to stay there rather than at any of the big all inclusive hotels.
The house is beautiful, simple and elegant. We were the only guests at the time, so we had the whole place and the pool to ourselves which was great. Elise and her family are sweet, attentive, wonderful hosts who love to welcome people to Jamaica and were happy to answer all our questions. They pointed us towards the best beaches (Reggae beach), best restaurants (a place called Scotchies with the most delicious jerk chicken and pork you will ever have), best experiences (water fall climbing).
We rented our own car so it was easy to move around and explore, but Elise said they would help us with transportation if we had decided not to rent. We also wondered into and checked out a couple of the local all inclusive resorts and were reassured with the fact that we were staying at the nicest place around!
Make sure you have dinner at the home at least once, as the food is very very good. And try out the Jamaican breakfast at least once.
All in all, a great experience for first time visitors to Jamaica!"

• Travel date: Mon 10th of December 2007

A true oasis in a busy world

Good

"Welcoming hosts and a charming house. Our two night stay was exactly as we imagined and the food and wine excellent.
The Blue House experience is different to a hotel, but service to a high standard, with that personal touch. The Upper room was well equipped and comfortable, with a great bathroom. We enjoyed a day relaxing by the secluded pool, and Elise was always on hand if we needed anything.
As Travel professionals, we would definitely recommend the Blue House. Mark and Joanne."

• Travel date: Thu 6th of December 2007

Hospitality At Its Best

"My wife and I recently returned from Jamaica where we spent two nights at The Blue House. We had a fantastic time. We stayed in the Upper Room with its soothing colors, comfortable bed and attractive decor. We enjoyed the warm hospitality of our hosts and their staff, the relaxed yet elegant atmosphere of the home and the sumptuous, mouth-watering meals prepared by Darryl. Many times we had to restrain ourselves from eating too fast.
The Blue House is set among lush greenery, brightly colored flowers and a view of the hills. Everywhere you look, inside and out, there is beauty.
Elise asked what we wanted to eat and could eat. We requested the traditional Jamaican menu, with some french toast for me, and gluten-free food for my wife. We appreciated all the attention to detail that she gave.
The day we went to Dunn's River Falls, Elise went out of her way to borrow a wheelchair, because my wife has MS. She also offered to wheel my wife around and take pictures while I walked up the Falls.
On our last day when the prearranged driver could not come, Darryl and Elise drove us to Kingston and Portmore to visit relatives. After that, they drove us to our final stop in Mandeville, over unfamiliar, narrow, winding roads in the dark and in the rain. They were so kind and did not complain about the trip. This deepened our respect and admiration for them.
Our stay at The Blue House was memorable and we miss it already and plan to go back. Elise said that "visiting there is like visiting your favorite auntie," and we totally agree.
We encourage anyone to visit The Blue House and experience hospitality at its best."

• Travel date: Tue 16th of October 2007

A truly wonderful place to stay at for a holiday

"We loved the Blue House!

My wife and I and our 2 young children stayed at the Blue House for a weekend while we were in Jamaica for 10 days. From the time we arrived we truly enjoyed the Blue House and it was like home from home. The hospitality and kindness of Elise and Darryl was fantastic. They looked after us so well and our children were particularly relaxed and at ease at the Blue House.

Although it is a bed and breakfast we found it had a real relaxed and family feel to it.

The room we occupied was the sanctuary in the main house and it was great. It was a good size. We all managed to fit in with a travel cot and it worked perfectly. Showers and bath facilities were good. Food was fantastic. Loved having breakfast outside every morning. We all ate from the Jamaican menu (even the children) and enjoyed every meal.

The thought put into the hospitality was fantastic. We were taken and shown around some fantastic local beaches by Elise and had a wonderful trip to the local white river which was so refreshing to swim in. Elise even took us along to the local shops.

The Blue House was pleasant, flexible, relaxed and so kind to us, escpecially with our 2 active young children. We will definitely be visiting there again and would happily recommend our family and friends to visit The Blue House.

Stefan and Jackie Brown"

• Travel date: Thu 27th of September 2007

A Threepeat Guest

"After I could not find a resort in Ocho Rios, I booked the Blue House for a weekend for my family.

My wife was horrified as she absolutely hates B&B's. The best recommendation is that she loved the Blue House and wants to go back. Even my kids (11 and 9) preferred the Blue House to Beaches Boscobel where we had stayed a couple of months previously.

I agree with all the positive comments made by other Trip Advisor members and I have since stayed at the Blue House twice more when traveling on business. I really like how seamlessly Elise adjusted to my differing needs as a business and leisure traveler.

During my most recent visit I mentioned to Elise that I had found out my cholesterol was too high and that evening Darryl prepared a special low-fat meal for me, different from that enjoyed by the other guests.

As I wanted breakfast at 7am the next morning I told Elise that cereal and toast would be fine. However, not only did I have the bowl of the best oatmeal I have ever tasted, but I was given an egg white omlette too.

I consider the Blue House my home away from home in Ocho Rios. I will probably try to rearrange any meetings in Ochie if there is no room at this inn the next time I am due to go there."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of August 2007

Hotels near The Blue House Boutique Bed & Breakfast

Stayed at The Blue House Boutique Bed & Breakfast? Share your insight.

The Blue House Boutique Bed & Breakfast is also called