Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton

Good

Don't pay full price & be prepared to tip and get yelled at!

Reviewed Mon 25th of April 2016

"My husband and I were terribly disappointed with our accommodations here and frankly, feel cheated. We had a bad feeling from the start when we had to dig for proof that we were booked to stay and paid our all-inclusive fees – BE SURE TO BRING THIS WITH YOU! We were then introduced to our first all-inclusive resort where tipping was not only optional, but encouraged and expected when our bags were taken upstairs by a bellman who stood awkwardly with his hand out before leaving. I had to dig for 5 bucks to appease him. Our next surprise came when we were shocked to learn our "all-inclusive" fees did not cover room service. This confused us as this has always been covered in our previous all-inclusive stays. When we asked the night manager, Andrea Jacks, about this, we were told there are different tiers of all-inclusive at the resort and this was something our tier did not cover. This was something we were not told, so I was upset since at this time as our long travel day lead us to miss dinner at the resort's buffet. The manager was ridiculously nasty to us and just made us feel worse. We left the hotel lobby and the manager followed us to the Italian restaurant (the only one open, which we were not dressed correctly to eat at). We spoke with the manager there and asked if we could get something to go. He agreed and even said he would deliver the food to us, which we appreciated. That's when Andrea Jacks decided to speak up (she had, for some reason, followed us there when we were trying to get away from her) and told the manager we were rude and that if we wanted food, we would have to wait for it. She then proceeded to continue to yell at us and I started crying at this point. My husband had to ask her several times to leave us alone before the restaurant manager finally led her outside. Oh, and this all happened on my birthday, so that was completely ruined.

Our second day taught us that were going to be treated as second-class guests at this resort because we didn't have enough cash to tip EVERYONE for EVERYTHING. We were ignored at the crowded bars, which were usually only staffed by one employee in favor of other guests who would come up after us with dollar bills they would place on the counter. The only restaurant we ever went to was the buffet as we knew the waiters at the nicer restaurant would require tips. But even the waiters at the buffet expected tips! They would stand right next to our table unexpectedly when we would be finishing up. By the end of our trip, the waiters learned we were non-tippers and we couldn't even get our waters refilled. I actually went to the table where the water was kept and was about to pour our own water when a manager came over and yelled at me to stop. No apologies for a lack of service (there were never apologies for anything at this place), I was just told to stop and he asked where we were sitting.

Other ongoing issues at this resort were that they were constantly running out of cups and pool/beach towels. We stopped by their towel hut every half hour for three hours one day without being able to get towels. One day, we got a cabana which brought a couple of additional problems. We definitely felt obligated to tip, which we did. We also were asked what time we wanted to have lunch. We requested to have lunch at 12:00 as we had an excursion in the afternoon. At 11:15, we were brought menus, but then our cabana attendant, Judy, disappeared for an hour. At 12:15, our order had not even been taken. I went to the concierge and asked if they could take our order or knew where our attendant was. The woman at the desk said she could not take our order and said, if she were me, she would go find Judy. I just looked at her and said I didn't know where Judy was, that's why I was there. She finally then went and found Judy, who was clearly not happy I involved someone else in searching for her. She took our lunch order though, which we hurriedly ate. My husband then told her, don't worry, we're going to be leaving soon to go on an excursion, so you won't have to deal with us much longer. Instead of saying it was no trouble, etc., Judy asked what time we would be going.

Another day we were out of our room on an excursion from 7:30 AM - 2:30 PM and never received housekeeping service. We were out of clean towels when we got back, so we called and requested some. We also said we were going to rest for a bit, but still were hoping our room would be made up at some point. The woman on the phone said there was a schedule (though she didn't know what that was) and they would get to it. We left our room again from 6-9 PM and when we came back, our room still had not been attended to, though while we were out the entire day, our housekeeping sign was up. We went to the front desk and asked if housekeeping was still there. We were told yes. My husband then asked if someone could come by to make up our room, replenish our towels, etc, because he thought maybe they came by while we were resting. We were told that if our Do Not Disturb sign was up, the housekeeper could not do anything. He said he understood that, but we were out of the room most of the day, and why could they not come by now if they were still there? Finally, they agreed someone would come by. I'm not sure why we had to fight so hard for this.

The resort advertises Wi-Fi. This is a stretch. We did not get service in our room and the signal in the lobby was so slow that nothing could be downloaded. The Wednesday night during our stay, the Wi-Fi went down completely, as did the satellite television. And during this time, the staff members were nowhere to be found. It also advertises table tennis, though half the time, there were no or only broken balls, so we were unable to play. We went to the front desk and asked for some and they just had a drawer full of broken ones. They also have a tennis court, but there were no tennis balls and the rackets were zip-tied to a little structure next to the court. We asked a staff members if there were rackets we could use and she said they would be on the court. We said they weren't and she said she didn't know then.

The hotel also advertises airport transport for $90, round-trip. Well, we booked our trip into the Kingston airport, not knowing that this transport was not offered from Kingston. We had to pay $400 for transport to and from the hotel ($180 each way + tip). Be sure to book at the airport they transport to/from.

We talked to a few other couples and discovered they (and seemingly most of the couple who were there) booked through Groupon. They paid less for their rooms and all-inclusive fees than we did for just our all-inclusive fees, never mind the maintenance fees and yearly dues we pay for our timeshare through Interval International! No wonder so many people were happy to tip! So overall, we paid more for our trip than the vast majority of the other guests at the resort and received far below-standard service."

• Travel date: Sun 24th of April 2016

Romance, romance, ROMANCE!

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"If you are looking for a romantic getaway with your partner, look NO further than the Jewel! My husband and I were familiar with this resort when it was a Sandals property. We had never stayed overnight when it was Sandals, as we always preferred the Ocho Rios (Sandals) property down the street. Now that it is Jewel, we are SO GLAD we tried it--it is now our #1 favorite all-inclusive, ANYWHERE!

We were there to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary, but only had 3 solid days of fun at Jewel. But by the time we left, we felt as if we had been there for at least a week!

They do NOT close the pool at 6 or 7 p.m. like so many resorts... A swim at 3 a.m.? No problem, mon! They keep the grill (where you can get fantastic Jamaican jerk chicken or pork, with crispy fries) open 21 hours a day, only closing from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. One of the pool bars stays open till 1 a.m. and if you miss that one, you can go to the Tree Bar for liquid refreshments until 2 a.m.! (And they have premium liquors, like Bailey's and Skye Vodka.) And if you want a pizza, they have an outdoor pizza stand where you can get a flatbread pizza to order... YUM!!!

Looking for entertainment? Daytime or night, it's available, but not overly loud or obnoxious. They bring in great local bands and other entertainers for the disco and around the pool area. There is always something going on, but you're never pressured to "play." And there are no pesky local vendors hassling you to buy something, like what you experience at some other resorts.

And I know it's been covered in other reviews, but the food (everywhere!) is absolutely fantastic.

From the front desk to the maids and everyone in-between, each and every staff member is happy to see you. And they want to make your Jewel experience extraordinary.

Be sure to visit this hotel while they are still trying to make a name for themselves and are still running specials. My guess is that their popularity will soon make them a pricey (but VERY worthwhile!) place to be..."

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of October 2010

AMAZING!!!

Reviewed Mon 15th of October 2012

"My husband and I went to the Jewel for our anniversary just last week. We have been a lot of places and this is the first review I have ever written – Here is our story:

We were a little nervous not knowing what to expect due to the new ownership. We arrived later than expected on Saturday the 9th. Spirit Airlines – another story for another day! When we finally stepped foot on the property we were greeted with some amazing smiles – not to mention the rum punch and cool towels. We were quickly and efficiently checked in, ushered to our room and given a quick tour of the room. From then on we were in Heaven!

The staff: Are Fantastic!!! All the way from the front desk to the cleaning service - They have a song in their hearts, a skip in their step and wonderful smiles on their faces. Folks who are willing to share their stories and lives with you as you share yours with them. Even the grounds keepers are willing to take a moment out of their busy day to answer your questions, educate you on the different types of trees and plants they have. The pool staff actually remember what you like to drink and your glass is never empty!

The Food: Another fear of ours was that with it just re-opening as the Jewel and not many guests registered that the food would suffer. I’m here to tell you that the food was Out Of This World!!! Buffet breakfast, Pizza, burgers, jerked chicken, French fries at the pool, wonderful lunch buffet. The meals at the restaurants were even better. Top Notch!!!

The Room: The bed was very comfortable, sheets crisp and clean. I haven’t slept that well in a while. The bath towels were brand new. Everyday the room was cleaned very well the fridge was stocked. The room didn’t smell like mold or mildew. When we ordered room service it was as if we King and Queen for the night. They came in and set up the table service so elegantly and placed the food on the table in such a beautiful way. Quickly, quietly and efficiently.

The grounds: BEAUTIFUL! Not sure that I can even put into words just how breathtaking it truly was.

The Spa: Relaxing and rejuvenating. The kind of massage where you are so relaxed that you end up drooling – no joke! We had the couples massage – highly recommend…..

Kudos: To Scott Robbins the general manager to the fantastic job he is doing. It reflects in the staff, atmosphere and property. Keep if the good work.

If I had to give one criticism it would be that the pool should be skimmed a little more often. Don’t get me wrong – we were in that pool all day, everyday – 9 hours one day, so it’s not terrible – just a side note."

• Travel date: Wed 20th of October 2010

The former "Sandals" Resort is still here, along with the people who made your stay enjoyable

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"Hey Everybody:

All those that stayed at the Resort when it was "Sandals Dunn's River" - C'mon back!!!!!!!!!!!
The wonderful Staff is still there - Mario the Bartender, Kenroy the Maitre'D and all the others that made you feel pampered and happy.

As a frequent "Sandals" guest at this Resort (and a Jamerican, as well) The Jewel definitely is living up to it's name and previous reputation as the best Resort on the Island. Everyone is still friendly, the food has been upgraded to excellent Jamaican cuisine (Just Like Mom Made), the Rooms are being renovated and there are big plans for other parts of the Resort, like a Sports Bar and Casino (slots only, at this point).

Scott Robbins, the Resort's Assistant GM is extremely knowledgeable about the Hotel/Resort Business and is a pleasure to talk to - the Resort is in very capable hands!!!!

Since they've only been open for about a month (Sept. 1st) we were there with about 6 other couples - who says you can't have your own Resort??????? The service we received there was the same as the service when the "Sandals Dunn's River" was full - friendly, helpful and exhaustive.

The Jewel is obviously spending a lot of money on the Resort - and with good reason!!!! Everyone needs to "come back to Jamaica - again and again" and stay with our friends at Dunn's River - who treat you more like family (the good members) than friends.

The only major tip necessary is that The Jewel does not have a "Shuttle Bus" setup like Sandals - once you leave Immigration and go into the main terminal you have to go to the "JUTA" counter for the Bus Vouchers.

Again - all of those that went to "Sandals Dunn's River" please make it your point to re-visit the Property as The Jewel Dunn's River Resort and Spa - you won't be disappointed.

Dave & Ann Marie Black
Boca Raton, FL."

• Travel date: Fri 15th of October 2010

Scenery, Pampering, Relaxation, Service, Excellence, Fine Food!

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"Be sure to take advantage of the hotel's complimentary transfer service to the hotel from Montego Bay airport. You'll save $200 round-trip. It took us 18 hours to get there, and we'd been up for about 35 hours, so the friendly hospitality upon arrival was much-appreciated. We were greeted with citrus-infused, warm, wet wash cloths and a tropical rum punch type of drink. Aaaah! Check-in was a breeze. The bell hop was right there and showed us to our spectacular room in the diamond building (facing the pool, bay, ocean, and mountains). We happily went to have dinner at Platinum and could not have been more impressed with the quality of the food or service. In fact, the service was outstanding everywhere we went, whether it was Maurice keeping us well fed and hydrated on the beach, Jason and Star keeping us entertained, Junior shimmying up a tree to pick and cut us fresh coconuts, or any of the other fine employees stopping to give us a bit of Jamaican culture (Maxwell, Kenroy, Montgomery, Akelion). Gregory, at the beach grill, made the best jerk chicken ever. It was juicy, tender, falling off the bone, and savory. He made us fire-roasted large plantains, too, that were scrumptious. One day, we ordered room service for breakfast, and wow, were we impressed! They put a tablecloth on our balcony table and dressed it with all of the things you'd see in a restaurant (salt, pepper, sugar, etc.). We enjoyed calaloo with salt fish (a delicacy that is very tasty), as well as ackee (a part of a fruit that looks like scrambled eggs that is also served with salt fish). There are many almond trees on the property. Even though there were not many guests (hurricane/rainy season, you know), they went all out as if there were. They had steel drum bands, dancers, live music in Bling nightclub (great sound), beach volleyball, catamaran rides, etc. The place was fully staffed, and it meant a lot to see that. It spoke to us that it didn't matter if there were two hundred people or twenty. They were treating us the same to give us the full experience. We loved that. We had a couples massage with Camelia and Sophia that was fabulous in the Radiant Spa. They have a special whirlpool with hot and cold water on either side and warm in the middle, a steam room, a sauna, not to mention the two huge outdoor jacuzzis and pools. They've got a state-of-the-art , open-air fitness area. Their gift shop was great. We got all kinds of awesome stuff and were really happy with the selection. The photographer took some unique photos, but we got sticker shock. One 4x6 is $8! I recommend that they give some kind of deals because the photo didn't even have a border, didn't come with a cardboard folder that said, "Jamaica" on it or anything. We bought five to support the hotel, but it would be nice if they offered something like 5 for $25 or buy 3, get one free, that type of thing. Mario, Ruen, and Daine (front desk manager) made sure our stay was an exceptional one. They offered us a "soon-return" special price if we can get back there soon. They offer this to people who stay there before they leave, but you have to ask for it, I think. One of the staff told us to ask, so we did, and they made us a great offer. The only problem for us is that the only time we can go back "soon" is over the Thanksgiving holiday, and airfares are completely through the roof, and blackouts apply to air specials. Bummer! We tried all of the restaurants. They are all different and all good. Shadow, the chef, made outrageously creative dishes for our friends, one of whom is a vegan. I'll try to attach some photos. I would go back to this place in a second. We spoke with travel agents and other travelers. All of them said that this resort (and one other) had the best food on the island. This is not a place for the kids, but if you and your special someone want a romantic escape, this is definitely the place. We had the beach practically to ourselves the whole time. It was super! The water was pristine and warm, absolutely gorgeous grounds. We never left the resort. We didn't want to. It was so relaxing. The Jamaica Tours bus that takes you to the hotel for free is modern, air conditioned, clean, and comfortable. Its staff is friendly and accommodating. They help you with everything, even at the airport when you have no idea what to do or where to go. Thanks, Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort and Spa for an incredible getaway! We already have six other couples who want to go there! :-) They have a business center, but I didn't see it or use it. One thing I'd like to mention is that many of the resorts in Jamaica have very aggressive beach vendors. I have friends who went before I did and stayed in a different resort. They were harassed so much by vendors that they couldn't relax and ended up doing activities away from the hotel every day. That, to me, is very sad. At our resort, they had security on both ends of the beach. We felt very safe and were allowed to relax. Nobody bothered us at all. When we were in the water, some local people (just making a living) would ask us if we wanted to ride their jetski, but we declined. We didn't want to do anything except be on the cushioned lounge chairs, drinking pina coladas and strawberry daiquiries with local island rum, reading, talking, soaking up the sun, and enjoying the scenery. We did love the water, though, and spent a lot of time in it. Vidal took us on a very relaxing catamaran ride and even sang to us! Wow!"

• Travel date: Wed 13th of October 2010

A Definite Jewel

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Lovely property, management and staff did all in their power to ensure we had a great time. Although we were a couple of the firsts to sample the Jewel the warm reception as well the professional staff made it priceless.
While the food from the main dining room was great the specialty restaurants were exceptional.
Novelties ideas to make the guests feel special cant be described but must be experienced.Have no doubt all will have as great a a time as we did.
Be back soon!!"

• Travel date: Tue 28th of September 2010

It was all about US

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"The name speaks for itself a JEWEL resort it was. From the resort grounds, the rooms, the food (the pizza is to die for...not a chocolate lover but they do a chocolate pizza, yes a chocolate pizza and i just had to try....) and the staff gave service with a SMILE....Nuff big up to the CHEF (the lamb was excellent). A great place to relax with the person you love and just enjoy life. I would highly recommend The Jewel to anyone of any age. I doubt anyone could have anything major to complain about here. What a great opening.... The cabanas on the beach...o my very relaxing....and you so cannot leave "THE JEWEL" without a massage... the staff very professional and they certainly know how to make you relax. Much thanks to Tricia and Mavis for a great weekend. We are already talking about going back asap."

• Travel date: Sun 26th of September 2010

Big Up Jewels!

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Just stayed at the Jewels Dunns River. What a fabulous time we had. Although it had just reopened, it was obvious that the new management wasdetermined to ensure that guests had a great time. Upon arrival we were warmly welcomed by the new Property Manager and other employees, who continued to ensure that our stay was comfortable and that all our needs were met. We stayed in the Diamond building and the rooms were well maintained and comfortable with a wonderful view of the sea and beach.The food too was very good with menus peppered with unique signature dishes. I will definately return."

• Travel date: Sun 26th of September 2010

honeymoon haven

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"We were on honeymoon at another hotel in Ocho Rios, about to head home, when we decided to extend our stay since this hotel was newly re-opened and offering a special introductory rate inclusive of couples' massage at their Spa. We got a beautiful room which was very clean and had a view of the ocean. The bathroom was beautifully redone and included a hydro-massage tub. We were offered bedtime 'turn-down service' which was a nice touch after returning from dinner each evening. The food was excellent both in terms of quality and taste. The pools and man-made waterfall and the beach were great..there was evidence throughout of refurbishing and updating. We had an absolutely relaxing 45 min couples massage treatment at their top class Spa. But of all the great things that this hotel had to offer, we think that their staff is beyond compare-they're exceptional! They offered us personalized service throughout our stay--we felt very catered to. They truly were one of the highlights of our stay. We were so happy that we ended our honeymoon stay at this hotel-it was a great experience and we'd definitely take a return trip."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of September 2010

Ultra luxury with a Jamaican twist!!!

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"The Hotel is magnificent, clean luxurious and decorated with great taste.
The staff have been remarkable, they went to all extent possible to make us feel on vacation.

Special mention to the staff particularly Kenroy (restaurant manager )and Vidal(master sailer) for making our stay memorable. Make sure sure you try the jamaican specialties great food.

The beach was incredibly clean so was the pool. We are still wondering how could have Sandalls let go such an amazing property and staff. The new managment have all the ingredients to make this the best resort in Ochos Rios and We think after our stay that they will. We will come back and strongly are recommending the Jewel's Dunn"s River in Ochos Rios.

Neil & Karine"

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of September 2010

Intimate all-inclusive

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"We just returned from 3 nights at the Jewel combined with a trip to the Rockhouse Hotel in Negril. I have never been to a Sandals, but I think the new owners scored a coo with acquiring this Sandals property. I understand that approximately 90% of the former Sandals employees stayed & they already know how to treat guests & make them feel like one of the family. I have only stayed in the larger, less exclusive all inclusives before & there is no comparison. Although there was a very low occupancy rate while we were there, I was assured that the staff would treat us the same when they are busier, and I
believe it. The employees truly seemed proud of the property & Jamaica & wanted to do whatever necessary to make our stay the best possible. Upon arrival we were greeted by the manager, asst. manager & others. We were seated for our check-in & given cool towels & the "jewel of the day" welcome beverage. During the entire stay, we were always greeted with a smile & a "what can we do to make your stay better" attitude from everyone. The property was spotless, food was extraordinary, and service couldn't have been better. Although I thought having Italian food while in Jamaica didn't seem right, after eating at Moonstone, I was so glad I did. The lasagna was the best I've had anywhere with the exception of Rome! We ate twice at Platinum because my husband loved the conche ceviche. Of course, there was always traditional jerk food available at the pool. We had the couples massage that was included with our package & Sophia was a dream!!! We were also the first to go for a sail on the new Hobie cats. Who could ask for anything more on a vacation? Felt like we were leaving friends & can't wait to return!"

• Travel date: Sat 18th of September 2010

Robbed at Sandals and they don't care

Reviewed Thu 21st of May 2009

"It is obvious that we were robbed by somebody that had access to our room at Sandals. The fact that the housekeeper Nicola is lying about the events of that day make it in our minds obvious it was her.

That being said, even if it wasn’t her we deserved to have been treated better then we were. Being told that there was only one key to the lock for the safe and being given the impression that the safes were secure is a farce! I now know you can spend ten minutes online and obtain the knowledge of how to open those safes. We had to ask that the Police be called, we had to go begging for answers that were never given, NOBODY from Sr. management ever bothered to call and ask if we needed anything.

Sandals is supposed to be an “all inclusive” resort, I have news for you; the hands are out BEFORE you even leave the airport from personnel wearing Sandals shirts. How come it takes 5 hours to get to the resort from the airport? So everyone can put the squeeze on you!!! The shame of it is despite this we were having a great time until we were robbed.

Below is an outline of the events;

On Tuesday, May 5th, my husband and I were up early and went to the Manor for breakfast around 7:30. When we returned to our room, housekeeping (Nicola) was already in our room. My husband accessed his computer while I read. During that time, the other two couples we were with, the C******'s and the H*****'s, talked with us about going off the resort shopping. They got ready and went up to the Manor for breakfast and we agreed to meet about 40 minutes later at the front of the manor to catch a jitney/bus shopping. While my sister in law K**** ******* was there Nicola showed us the dog she created with the towel art that she was placing on our completed (as a point of reference our bed was completed BEFORE the 40 minute window) bed . Within that 40 minute timeframe, housekeeping finished our room. We spoke for a few moments and I asked her name. I even commented that it was a nice name and that I had a niece named Nicole. Nicola brought her supplies out from the bedroom (bucket/mop) which almost fell over. I remember commenting “nice save” because she caught the mop before it tipped over. Before she left we handed her a tip. I know that tipping is frowned upon, but I believe that if someone is providing good service, they should be thanked. She left and moved on to another room. My husband and I remained in our room for another 10 minutes or so. Before we left, my husband drew the drapes closed to keep the sun/heat out of the room.

He had taken his wallet and cash from the safe (he noticed my baggie folded with my cash in it) and I left most of my money ($700.00 USD, all $100 bills) along with our passports and a few pieces of my jewelry in the safe. I felt it would be safer locked in a secure place in my room than carrying it all with me shopping. I brought a small amount of cash with me. My husband had his wallet and cash with him. My husband closed the heavy drapes, we checked the lock on our door and walked up to the Manor to meet the C*******'s and H*****'s. We all met in front of the manor and we requested a ride (taxi/small bus) to the shopping market. While we waited for the ride K**** and B** ***** quickly went back to their room to get K*****’s Blackberry. When they walked in the front door of the villa, they noticed that the door to my room was open. They went up to their room, retrieved the Blackberry, and proceeded to leave the villa. As they walked around the building to cut through to the walkway, they walked by my bathroom window. The slats on the window were open and they heard voices talking. She thought maybe I had returned to my room for something and called my name. The talking stopped. She didn’t think anything of it and continued back to the manor. We all boarded a small bus and were dropped off at a gated market where we shopped for quite some time. When my husband and I returned to our room, we immediately noticed that someone had been in our room. The drapes were drawn open and the bathroom window was open. I took my key out of my bag and opened the safe and immediately noticed the baggie that had held my cash and jewelry was standing upright and open. The cash was gone. The jewelry and passports were there.

My husband immediately called the Manor and requested security. We were questioned (we are NOT used to being treated this way but having NOTHING to hide we agreed to the search) and our room was searched. We can understand that Security had to be sure that we didn’t misplace the money but did they really think it would be in our drawers?

I’d like to point out that the housekeeping cart was sitting at the doorway and housekeeping was nowhere to be found. Of the two rooms upstairs, the Hover’s room had been serviced, but the Cavicchis’ room hadn’t been touched. Where was housekeeping and why hadn’t our Villa been finished at this point? This is one question we asked and never received an answer! The Jamaican police were notified ( only at our insistence) and we reiterated what happened again. The police asked to meet with us again on Wednesday and we agreed to meet at 4:00 on Wednesday afternoon as we had days earlier booked a catamaran cruise, snorkeling and Dunns River Fall trip. My vacation was already marred by this incident and I wasn’t cancelling our planned excursion.

We met with the police at 4:00 on Wednesday and Nicola was brought in to our room. She proceeded to explain that it was her first day on the job and that her supervisor came in to check her work. She explained that the curtain wasn’t back far enough, so she fixed the curtain. We then explained that after she was done with our room, we had drawn the curtains to keep the sun/heat out to help keep the room cool. She continued on and then said directly to me, “Mam you are mistaken, you left me in the room when you left for the manor. I was still cleaning your room.” At this remark, I will admit that I totally went ballistic and called her a liar. She was already done with our room and we had remained another 10 minutes in our room before we even left for the manor. We had also drawn the curtain which contradicts what she told us about her supervisor. I stated in my anger, “then bring her supervisor in so we can discuss this.” I heard two different stories from this particular housekeeper that day and when I asked why that cart sat there the entire day on Tuesday and rooms weren’t done and where was she…..I got no answer. Nothing! I was really irate and stormed out onto the patio to cool my head off. I’m normally a calm person and I don’t think my husband has ever seen me this angry before, but when she contradicted herself and lied to my face, I knew at that moment she was hiding something. This is the first vacation my husband and I have been on in years and years. Up to this point in time, we were having a wonderful time and unfortunately this incident did put a bit of a damper on the remainder of our trip.

I (Husband) met with Mr. Holloway on Thursday May 7th to try to get answers to our questions and find out if Sandals intended on doing anything for us. I asked Mr. Holloway if a background check had been performed on Nicola, he said he thought so. I asked for proof, he said he couldn’t provide that to me. I was told that I would receive a letter before we left the next day that would go into further detail. At this time I also told him of my dissatisfaction with management. It was obvious to me that Mr. Holloway was a low to mid level management and not empowered to answer our questions. At the time of this writing I STILL have never received a letter!

It is now Sunday, May 17th, and I (Wife) did receive a message (on my cell phone during business hours when I can’t answer it) from Patrick at Sandals that he had called and would try back that evening (Friday, May 15th). Other than this one attempt, I’ve yet to hear back from anyone. Again, the questions I want answered are:

1. Our room had already been serviced and there was no reason for anyone to re-enter our room. The statement taken by my sister-in-law clearly showed that there was more than one person in our room after we had left. Again, our room was already serviced for the day and no one should have been in that room. Why was anyone in that room? Why was more than one person in that room? Nicola insists that her supervisor was inspecting the room as it was her first day on the job. We asked where Nicola was when her supervisor came upon her ( in our room?) ? WE HAVE NEVER RECEIVED AN ANSWER nor had the opportunity to speak with her “supervisor”.
2. Why did that housekeeping cart sit outside the main villa door on Tuesday and the other rooms weren’t serviced? Where was the person assigned to this cart and to service the rooms in our Villa? WE HAVE NEVER RECEIVED AN ANSWER

• Travel date: Mon 18th of May 2009

Hotels near Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton

Top traveller tips for Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton

• mazyw by mazyw

"If you want luxury and excellent service, you have just found it! "

• mazyw by mazyw

"Dunns River excursion is an absolute must! "

• fmsm by fmsm

"Murry on the "KAT" cruise is great, throw him $20 and you "

Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton is also called

• The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa

Similar hotels around Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton