Jamaica Inn

Main St, Ocho Rios Jamaica

Good

There is nothing like it

"We found the Jamaica in by accident when we left a hotel up the road that we did not like. Well I am so thankful that we did not like the other place. This was the most wonderful, relaxing, delicious place in the world. They staff was over accomodating, picking us up at the other hotel at 10 p.m., serving us food even though it was past the service time and making us feel wonderful in the first 5 minutes. The staff new our name by mid day the next day and our every need the entire stay. Even the owners new us by name and walked around and tried to sit with all of the guests. We have returned twice since and plan to return again. It is a great place to go to be romantic and relax. A diamond in the rough!"

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of December 2004

Oh... my... God...

"Absolute paradise. After 5 nights, countless gourmet meals, and the most incredible service- I am irrevocably hooked. I'll be back as soon as I get an opportunity; I will send my children here to get married, too. The experience here has been one I'll remember and makes every other vacation pale in comparison. The fishing, the markets, the AMBIENCE, the views, the bands... it simply doesn't get any better than this."

• Travel date: Wed 15th of December 2004

the Wedding of a lifetime.. November 11-14th, 2004

"Now every Bride thinks that their wedding is the best and perhaps I am no different, but if you ever want to have a wedding that your guests (made up of the toughest critics from a mother in NYC who own a Travel business, to Stockbrokers, Fashion Designers and a slew of people in Entertainment business from LA) boast as the best wedding they have ever been to.. go to the Jamaica Inn.
Mary and Terri (along with the entire staff- too many to name, Derek, Rodney, Patrice, Mr Fibbs, Georgia) are the warmest, most wonderful people who exude the beauty, class and charm that this property posses. We took over the resort for three days and it was pure magic!! When you arrive you look out at the property and it is as if you have arrived in an enchanted tropical dream. The white butterflies have migrated and seem to enjoy the beauty as well. The food was (and I am the toughest critic) fantastic. We had a beach BBQ that was out of the world. The staff did not miss a trick, the rooms were cleaned many times throughout the day and if you have the good fortune of staying in the white suite there are staff members to keep your grounds clean and decorate our room each day with fresh flowers and unique designs that continued to amaze us.
If you dislike the large resort life and seek a beautiful beach with a personal touch, fantastic cuisine and total relaxation then this is the place for you!! If you want the wedding of a lifetime then treat yourself and allow your dream to become reality! PS. If you leave to go to another destination for your Honeymoon, dont expect it to be better than this!"

• Travel date: Wed 1st of December 2004

Elegant and classy, a Jamaican resort with the posh of yesteryear.

"Finally, a "luxury" hotel that lives up to its name. In a day and age where luxury hotels are no more than a member of a large chain with nice linens and polite staff, the Jamaica Inn actually is everything for which it is noted.

The hotel reminds one of the resorts of yesteryear where the staff really knows your name and really does care about your stay. They will do anything they can to make your time there more pleasant. Personal service is the order of the day.

The beach is beautiful and the rooms are very nice. The bathrooms are a bit dated, but are clean and functional. Frankly I found them charming and they are every bit as nice as what is found in the factory hotels of today. All of the common areas are neatly kept and maintained. Even the china and glassware are cut above (its so nice to be served a drink on the beach in a real glass rather than a plastic cup).

We stayed in a premier veranda suite directly on the beach. We were delivered our breakfast directly on the veranda (which is actually an outdoor living room/dining room part of the suite) almost every morning and enjoyed the sounds of the surf.

The food is terrific. Having access to New York restaurants, I have become a bit critical of the cuisine in resort hotels. I had no complaint here. Everything was fresh and full of flavor. The 5 course dinner was a new experience every night and offered something for everyone. Even the beach "barbeque" the last night we were there was great. No franks and beans here. Champagne and a bon-fire is a winning combination. Calling the barbeque a "buffett" was almost laughable. While you did stand in line (no wait as there is relatively small number of guests at the hotel), there was someone to serve you everything and a waiter to take it to your table. They will do just about anything for you there. I strongly recommend going with their inclusive meal plan as the cost of the food and drinks could easily get away from you.

A few minor problems I must confess. We did have some issues with mosquitos. However, I am told this was due to the unusual amount of rain from the hurricanes. Running the ceiling fan in the room seemed to keep the flying menace at bay, but beware if you wish to dine for the evening on your veranda during the "buggy" season. You won't be the only one eating (if you know what I mean). Either way bring the bug spray to be safe.

Another small, but insignificant issue. Room service is punctual (by slower paced Jamaican standards), professional, and polite, but for some reason there was always an item missing. They would quickly rectify a problem if brought to their attention, so it wasn't such a big deal.

The place is very relaxing and sedate. Don't head there if you are looking for night life or a wild time. It just isn't like that. The pace is slow, relaxed and designed to let you come down from whatever stressed out plataeu upon which you have become perched.

Many thanks to Mary, Terri, Samantha, chef Karl, Rupert, Teddy the singing Bartender, Arthur, our waiter Desmond, and Shadow the resident Black Lab for making our stay so wonderful that we didn't want to leave. We are already planning our return!"

• Travel date: Sun 28th of November 2004

A Truly Magical Holiday.....

"My husband and I spent 10 wonderful days at Jamaica Inn in October. After much research we decided that this would be ther perfect hotel at which to celebrate our 15th Wedding Anniversary. We had heard of the hotel from my mother-in-law who stayed there in 1961. I understand her parents also visited in 1964.

We certainly were not disappointed with the hotel living up to and, in many instances, exceeding our expectations.

We stayed in Room 16 located on the waters edge. The room, although perhaps a little small with a slightly dated bathroom, had a lovely verander from which we were able to feed the fish at breakfast time and sit and watch the sun set in the evening - truly magical.

The beach at Jamaica Inn is second to none - a totally private stretch of golden sand which is never crowded.

The food at the hotel is very good - easily the best we have ever had in the Caribbean. We particularly enjoyed the very extensive breakfast menu - try the banana bread - it is superb !!

The service cannot be faulted. The staff are very friendly and helpful often going the extra mile to make your holiday special (thankyou Sadie for the flowers on our bed and the candles in our room on our Wedding Anniversary).

With regards to night life - the resident bands are good playing a variety of music including reggae and calipso.

Jamaica Inn is exactly what it claims to be - it is not glitzy, the rooms do not have T.V's and night life is low key. If you are a couple looking for a special, quiet, romantic beach holiday with excellent food and service this is the place for you- we hope to return soon."

• Travel date: Sun 21st of November 2004

The Jamaica Inn's magic worked on me

Good

"I have just had the most amazing week at the Jamaica Inn. Everything was just perfect-the room, the food, the atmosphere but what impressed me most was the gentle and loving care the staff took of us. Most of the staff has been there for years and welcomed returning guests like long lost friends.
We met Mary, the manager, the first night and she explained that they take care of our every need so we can relax and remember who we really are. Well I was sceptical but after a few days the magic of the place was beginning to work.
It looked to me like couples who arrived tired, white and strained slowly unfolded and fell in love with each other again after a few days.
One week wasn't enough. I envied the British couple who were just beginning their second week as we left.
As we were leavng, Terri, the assistant manager, hugged us, made us promise to keep in touch and seemed genuinely sad to see us go. I was genuinely sad to see us go too.
Now I'm home and it's 11.30 am and I'm already peeved that noone has brought me my on-the-beach fruit punch!"

• Travel date: Mon 25th of October 2004

Loved Jamaica Inn

"My husband and I spent a week at Jamaica Inn, in late September and would highly recommend the Inn to other couples. The resort is picturesque, situated on a stretch of private beach that is just steps away from the guest rooms. We stayed in a beautiful balcony suite, which had a large porch that overlooked the ocean and had incredible sunset views. It was surprising that the balcony suites were the cheapest rooms at the resort because the more expensive Garden Veranda Suites did not have as nice of views as the cheaper balcony suites located just above. The Garden Suites’ porches were also not very private because they are located on the ground floor and hotel guests constantly walk by. We would recommend the deluxe ocean front suites, which are located right on the beach and offer more privacy. Although, all of the rooms were very attractive. The only problem we had with our room was there was no hot water, other guests at the hotel had the same problem but the climate is so mild that it didn’t really bother us. I am not sure if this is the case all year round or if they were having a problem due to damage from the hurricane.

We were very impressed with the resorts lovely restaurant, which serves delicious food from an ever-changing menu. The restaurant is particularly romantic at night because you dine by candlelight under the stars. Our only complaint would be the dinner music which was usually cheesy love songs, pub tunes, or classical, instead of Reggae. We were not expecting a party atmosphere at Jamaica Inn, but we did expect to hear Reggae music at night even if it was just a CD, instead of Whitney Houston. Jamaica Inn is not the resort to go to if you are looking for a festive party atmosphere, it is prefect for people who are content to just relax at night.

The beach at Jamaica Inn is paradise, it would be very easy to spend your entire vacation sitting under the grass beach umbrellas or swimming in the calm ocean, but there is also a lot to do in town. The staff is fantastic and caters to your every need. However, we were not impressed with the management at the resort and did not like how they handled a booking glitch when we checked in. All in all, we would highly recommend Jamaica Inn. We think it would be very hard to not have wonderful time staying at the resort."

• Travel date: Sun 17th of October 2004

True Jamaican Style & Roots

"Hello All,
Quite simply, the Jamaican Inn, is in True Jamaican
Style, with a fabulous Colonial influence.
Simplicity accompanied by extravagance, with a
truly Jamaican rooted environment.
The experience is just that, an experience, which
you should not allow to pass you by?!
Quite simply,
Johnny Crow

One Love
One Jamaica
One WORLD"

• Travel date: Thu 14th of October 2004

A Peaceful Place to Rejuvenate Your Soul

"October 13, 2004...
I would be remiss if I didn't add my two cents regarding our experience at the Jamaica Inn. My husband and I were joined by my best friend and her husband for six-days of absolute bliss! Our vacation almost wasn't due to the abundant hurricane activity of August/September but we lucked out and were able to enjoy a vacation experience we will not soon forget.
The reviews shared by the many others before me are all true and to avoid boring you with the same details I will simply say the JI is a tropical paradise where you will experience rest, relaxation, helpful and friendly staff, an amazing beach and excellent food. The 5-course dinner menu changes daily with a selection of 5-6 entrees and everything was excellent, including the desserts.
My best friend enjoyed a deep tissue massage at the spa and she boasted she received the best massage she has ever experienced (from Carolyn) and this is the highest of praise considering that she herself is a licensed Esthetician and has high expectations.
I believe the best review a resort can receive is from a reviewer who comments they will return. The world is a big place and there are so many great places to see & explore but I can say without hestitation that we will return again to this peaceful place to be spoiled by the JI staff.
Tip: Make reservations ahead of time and enjoy a swim with the dolphins at Dolphin Cove. Well worth the price of admission."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of October 2004

Absolute Bliss!

"After over 16 trips to Jamaica, we just returned from six days at the Jamaica Inn and are having a difficult time getting back to reality. There is an enchanting, timeless feeling to this property that will either completely capture you or completely escape you. It captured us in a big way and we have nothing but praise for the wonderful staff and management that make this lovely older hotel such a shining diamond!

It truly deserves all the glowing reviews it receives here on TripAdvisor. The food was superb, our room was homey and comfortable and the verandah absolutely glorious. I'm one of those people that can often have difficulty sleeping on vacations, but I slept like a baby each night and took countless little catnaps on the verandah couch.

The beach is absolutely the best anywhere along the North Coast of the island and so incredibly serene. We had very hot weather during our stay and that beautiful turquoise/aquamarine ocean kept us cool all day long. Unlike the previous poster who must have been at the Inn the same time we were, we never saw anything floating in the water other than an occasional bit of sea grass and very, very little of that. However, I will concur that screening of the windows and doors is quite necessary and we hope they will consider doing so. It won't take away any of the charm of all the louvers, but will definitely save you from dozens of mosquito bites if you, like me, are a mosquito magnet. Even the bug spray we always take along did little to keep the critters from eating me alive.

However, bug bites notwithstanding, this is one very special hotel and we will definitely be returning! We feel like we've truly found "home" here."

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of September 2004

Hotels near Jamaica Inn

Stayed at Jamaica Inn? Share your insight.

Jamaica Inn is also called