Hibiscus Lodge Hotel

83 Main St St. Ann, Ocho Rios Jamaica

5 by day, 4 by night

"This is a great find!!! If you want to sample the "real" Jamaica, you should stay here. I stayed here on Saturday, 1/29/05 and Sunday, 1/30/05.

It's really popular for weddings; sometimes they have 3-4 weddings on the same day. The people are extremely friendly. The rooms are clean, but could use a little more lighting. There is an air conditioner and a fan. The hotel is situated on a cliff over-looking the ocean. Beautiful view. There is a pool and a jacuzzi. There is no sandy beach. You do have access to the water, though. You can rent snorkeling equip. from Marvin, the lifegaurd, for $7.00 /hr or J$400. You can swim from the hotel to the reef in about 10 minutes. I saw sea urchins, sea anemones, puffer fish, eels, rays, an octopus, a crab, and lots of beautiful fish. I flew into the Ocho Rios airport and it cost me $30 to take the 20 min ride to the hotel (I think it was a rip off). You can reach the center of Ocho Rios in about 5 minutes. I took a taxi to Dunn's River falls ($20 round trip) which only took about 10 minutes. Breakfast is included in the room rate, although it's not mentioned anywhere. Some Oklahoman's that have been going there for 16 years mentioned it to me.

My only complaint was the loud music on Saturday night. There is a night club that is a block and a half away. LOTS OF BASS. On Sunday, there was a church service at night that lasted until midnight. Other than that, I love it!!!!!!!!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 5th of February 2005

The Great Escape ....... From Kingston

"The Hibiscus Lodge Hotel is our great escape when we want to get away from the hustle of Kingston. When you walk in the door you always get a warm welcome. It's a small friendly hotel, the gardens are lovely, the pool area well maintained, the rooms are clean and the price is just right with a fantastic breakfast included each morning. The Almond Tree Restaurant which is attached to the Hotel has a very good menu so if you don't fancy walking down town, you can just take your time by having a few drinks at the Swing Bar then amble along to the Restaurant on the terrace. Friends from the UK came out to Jamaica to get married at the Hibiscus just before Hurricane Ivan last year, we had a great day and excellent service from all the staff. The Hibiscus is not your "all-inclusive" but I would recommend it to everybody."

• Travel date: Wed 19th of January 2005

Hibiscus Lodge after Hurricane Ivan

Good

"My wife and I just returned from a long weekend at the Hibiscus Lodge. We stayed from Sept. 17 until the 20th, 2004, just one week after Hurricane Ivan hit Jamaica. The hotel's power was out, so there was no air conditioning in our room. Management lowered the price of the rooms because of the lack of electricity. They ran a generator at night to provide electric lights and to run the ceiling fan, so it was not really a problem to do without the a/c. We chose a standard room, both for the lower price and because it had a higher ceiling (and was therefore cooler) than the deluxe rooms. We traveled with friends, but other than the four of us there were very few guests at the Lodge. The hotel is pretty, with excellent service and a great breakfast. The snorkelling is fine - nothing to write home about, but it is nice to be able to just swim out to the coral heads. We enjoyed being able to walk to the grocery stores nearby and to the Ocho Rios Village Jerk Center. If you have a car, we really enjoyed visiting Jah Willy Calabash at James Bond Beach, a little before Boscobel to the east of Ocho Rios. Willy has a little restaurant on the beach and will build a fire and cook fish or chicken for you while you enjoy the trees and water."

• Travel date: Tue 21st of September 2004

Excellent wedding!!!!

"We had our wedding at The Almond Tree Restaurant 8 years ago. We are now planning on calling the restaurant to have our 10th Anniversary party there. I think the accomodations were great! Our family are still talking about the great food and service that was given at our wedding.
Hopefully, we can get in contact with the gentleman that helped us plan our wedding from so many miles away.
The place was clean, staff was very pleasant and helpful which to me is extremely outstanding. I never regretted anything!

Looking forward to seeing them in 2006 at our 10th Anniversary celebration!"

• Travel date: Sun 19th of September 2004

Great place to stay...

Good

"There Wed. 7/7/2004...While we only stayed at the Hibiscus for one night I do believe that we can provide some insight for those considering staying there. The grounds are beautiful and well kempt. The front office staff was very helpful and our room was very clean with everything in good working order. This is not the Wyndham! It is a very nice, reasonably priced hotel. The pool was operating and in good repair while we were there although we did not use the hot tub. Our room was near the ocean and had an excellent porch with fan and sitting area and a beautiful view. Also, the hotel is very quiet in comparison with some others in the area. I would highly recommend the Hibiscus to anyone and glad to answer emails with further questions. Cool running..."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of July 2004

OK for Relaxtion

"I was told about Hisbiscus Lodge by a friend. My Husband and I WENT FOR THE lABOUR DAY WEEKEND. The GROUNDS is beautiful but I was very disappointed with the fact that the pool was being painted and no one informed us. The jacussi was emptied but nothing was none about it. We were there from the Thrusday afternoon and it was filled on the Saturday morning and until we left the water never hot we complained but nothing was done. That was a DAMPER for me.

Though the restaurant is seprate from the hotel the staff was nice the breakfast that is inclusive of the room is OK but the particular Matra D that was working for the weekend was horrible to his staff. He quarelled with them openly , my husband and I could hear. I think he need ensure not to show his "dirt laundry to the public"

Other than that it was a beatiful weekend if you realy need to just sit back and RELAX"

• Travel date: Tue 13th of July 2004

Hibiscus lodge relaxing, but mixed trip!

Good

"Stayed at the Hibiscus lodge with a friend from 6/3-7/4 . Well kept grounds, warm staff, and mostly attentive service that is IMO, better than staying at the all inclusives. An good, ample breakfast is included with the room price, and a small local beach , Mahogany beach, is in walking distance. The beach has a nice bar and small food service.

Traffic down a bit for the summer months, so if you want constant excitement, this is not the place for you. If you want the pool to yourself, and a nice room and privacy, get room #14 or 15, with has an unobstructed balcony to beach, and a nice sized bathroom

Now for the down sides....The first four days were great, but then no hot water (and the staff did not know until we told them on sunday) for two days. The air conditioner also stopped working during the night, and the room was hotter than it was outside!!
We had to move our room to the less attractive rooms across from the pool (which are older, and you can hear EVERYTHING on each side of you, and the bathrooms are not totally enclosed from the room. Make sure you reserve a deluxe room!!!) , and were unable to get back into the deluxe room before it was time to leave. After some confusion, and speaking to the proprietress, she did the right thing and credited our bill one nights stay.

Overall, despite the glitches, I was happy with our stay, and would definitely visit again."

• Travel date: Fri 9th of July 2004

Unforgettable

"My husband and I got married at the Hibiscus Lodge Hotel, we had our wedding ceremony in the gazebo and the reception at the Almond tree Restaurant. I just can’t stop praising on how wonderful the food was. My guest is still talking about how beautiful the resort is, how wonderful the food was and how friendly the staff is. The reception was spectacular; it was overlooking the ocean, very romantic and beautiful view. I just love this place and highly recommend it for couples that want to get married in paradise with a small budget."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of June 2004

not so good

"i do not understand these gleaming reviews of hibiscus. yes, it is pretty and there are good views of the water. the foilage/grounds are nice, but i have seen better at many resorts. also, i agree the staff are nice, but again, i have encountered better service at other resorts.

what i didn't like about this place: the pool was being painted while we were there and was empty for days after. i guess this dampened my impression of this place the most since i like having a pool. there was no life at this resort, nobody ever at the bar, nobody ever at the pool/sundeck, etc... also, our room was just OK. yes it was very clean, but it just wasn't up to my standards. this is more of a hotel than a resort. they do not offer the services that most resorts do like having a store (its nice to be able to buy a bottle of water) or supplying beach towels.
lastly, the location is not nice. yes it is a short walk to town but it's on the seedy side of town. i like experiencing the real jamaica, but i prefer the other side of ochi."

• Travel date: Mon 7th of June 2004

Classy and affordable

"My Husband and I recently returned from Ocho Rios, and spent one week at Hibiscus Lodge. The accomodation is very well maintained as are the grounds. The staff are all helpful and vry hard working. It is a very safe place to stay, and very quiet. Unfortunately the pool and hot tub was being repaired while we were there, so check this out before you book. The food is excellent, and all amenities are within walking distance, including restaurants, beach, bars, markets, malls churches. It's a very classy and affordable hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of May 2004

Hotels near Hibiscus Lodge Hotel

Stayed at Hibiscus Lodge Hotel? Share your insight.

Hibiscus Lodge Hotel is also called