Good

Best spot in the West End...

Good
Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We took the entire 6 bedroom Villa Sur Mer with some friends for a week and it was incredible. Private cove! Elton and Richard are truely the best. Jerk chicken, lobster fresh from the cove... You name it. Don't forget to see Julia at the kitchen up the street. Bam!"

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of June 2008

We Loved Sur Mer

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"My wife and I just returned from Negril. We travelled with another married couple and shared one of the 2 bedroom villas at Sur Mer.

First, the plain facts: You should know that these 2 bedroom villas offered plenty of space and privacy for each couple and that each bedroom in the villa also had it's own private bathroom. Elton, Sondra, Nadine, and Richard are wonderful hosts and serve as the most attentive and friendly staff we've ever encountered. There is nothing they won't do for you during your stay. At first I felt odd asking them to grocery shop for us or to cook akee and salt fish for my wife or to arrange for day trips for us or...or...but I came to learn that they just feel that this is the way a host should care for a guest. They're wonderful. The villa rooms are very clean. The furniture is not luxurious but is very comfortable. The balcony and deck overlooking the cliffs are private and breath taking. Swimming and snorkeling in our private ocean cove was truly relaxing. Each room offered sufficient air conditioning but you could also enjoy nice ocean breezes if you prefer. Each bedroom had a TV with approx 10 working cable channels (feeds from American affiliate networks, BBC, CNN, basic stuff).

Sur Mer is situated on West End along the cliffs between Rick's Cafe (super touristy, terrible food, overpriced drinks, and cheesy reggae cover bands but amazing sunset views) and LTU (the opposite of Ricks in every way with an equally nice vista of the ocean if not the sunset). There are several other hotels and restaurants within walking distance but we typically hailed one of the plentiful taxis and paid $5-$8 to travel anywhere along the stretch or even to the beach area at the base of the cliff road. We also chose to skip Rick's after the first night and figured that the short ride to the Negril lighthouse made for an even more stunning sunset view.

Anyway, I cannot speak more highly of Villa Sur Mer and advise anyone looking for a moderately priced, private, welcoming, and comfortable stay in Negril to choose this "secret" as I'm certain it won't be a secret much longer. Enjoy."

• Travel date: Sun 21st of May 2006

Heaven on the Cliffs

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Hey, just got back from a stay at VSM on the cliifs in Negril. Didn't realise it was next door to Ricks Cafe. Tommy Lee was performing there, it was a blast!!! The setting is every much the same as Ricks, only better. Check out Elton, he has all the good stuff. Great service, great prices. We'll be back!"

• Travel date: Mon 1st of May 2006