Good

Just typed in sunset at the palms to whi...

Reviewed 18th September 2008

"Just typed in sunset at the palms to while away a few minutes in front of the lap top to remind myself of the fantastic time that my wife and had staying there, only to find that no one has posted any reviews. Lets put that straight! Having been looking forward to visiting the Maldives to celebrate our anniversary this unfortunately fell through at the last minute and we had to settle for what we thought would be second best....Negril - how wrong we were. We arrived at the hotel afer dark and it looked unbeleiveable, all wood and contempory art work that really suited the tropical atmosphere. The reception staff could not do enough to help and checked us in quickly, after a welcome cocktail, clean towels are also available along with a loud hello on your way to the private beach. Beach bar food was lovely as were the cocktails...can you see a pattern emerging? Ask for a Bob Marley - a tri coloured flaming drink...not sure what is in it but it was sure nice. The rooms are fabulous, real tree houses on stilts nestled in the most fabulous tropical gardens all connected by intimate pathways. Each tree house has a day bed on the oversize balconies to while away those long and hot days, no air conditioning in the rooms but as there was no glass in the windows just mesh and a huge ceiling fan we did not mind!! The food was the only down side to the holiday, although I am sure that if you like carribean food it was fine, simply not down to my pallet but Kirsten was OK with it. Make sure that you try a snorkel trip booked at the side of the beach bar, for just a few $$$ they take you out to an off shore reef and the fish are amazing, we saw rays and sea fish and all sorts of reef fish, steal a peice of bread from breakfast and take that with you to attract a wall of fish! Although many people ventured outside of the hotel in the evening to the lively night spots we never felt the need although everyone said that the locals were friendly and it was perfectly safe if you were sensible. All in all a fantastic hoiday with sun sets to rival Ibiza, go and try it!"

• Travel date: 18th September 2008

True Paradise!

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"I am also a travel agent and had the pleasure to stay at this fabulous resort. It is everything I could have asked for and more. The BEST thing about this resort is the amazing staff. It is absolutely true that they make you feel like part of their family. They could not do enough for you. Especially Maurice, Colin, Zavian, Esroy, and Leslie. Their main goal is to make sure you have the best vacation possible. It was hard to leave. I have traveled the Caribbean extensively, staying at some of the top resorts (Sandals, Couples, Secrets, Iberostar's,etc) and this was one of my all-time favorites. The food was great. I tend to be a picky-eater, and I was very pleased with the selection they had, and left the dining room with my seams just about popping every day/night. The beach is INCREDIBLE. The water is so calm there, you can float all day. I would suggest bringing your own float if you'd like to have one. Plenty of room to spread out. Walking past the Riu and seeing them packed in like sardines makes you appreciate the Sunset that much more. The resort is so peaceful & relaxing. If you are the type of person that needs lots of activity and stimulation, this may not be the place for you. Most of the time, we felt as if we were the only guests at the resort, which was fine by me. The cabins are really cute, and the showers are amazing. I would also suggest brining a can of bug spray. The mosquitoes tend to come out right around sunset, and you definitely don't want to miss that! I absolutely LOVE this place, and can't wait to go back!!!"

• Travel date: 12th May 2005

Tranquility in paradise

Reviewed 15th December 2012

"What a gem!! I am a travel agent and had the opportunity to travel to this resort recently. If you want a place where you can totally relax and unwind, then this is the place for you. The cabins are very comfortable and private. The food is totally amazing and the staff are absolutely without a doubt, the best staff that I have ever encountered in a resort. Everyone is genuinely interested in making your stay as pleasant as possible and you feel that it is not just a job to them.They take you into their hearts and you in turn feel like part of an extended family.The beach is across the road,yes, but it takes about 4 minutes to get there. I have stayed in many resorts where the property was on the beach, but by the time you actually travelled from the room to the beach,it was much longer than 4 minutes. The bar and grill on the beach are so convenient when you are there. There are extremely clean washrooms there as well and you never have to look for a lounger or space. This beautiful beach area is totally for Sunset at the palms so it is never ever crowded at all!! I cant really say enough about this resort except that I have already rebooked to return in October and am planning my wedding there next April. If you have any apprehensions at all about this resort, believe me when I say that it is on the top of my recommended list."

• Travel date: 30th April 2005

Good for the Spirit

Reviewed 10th October 2012

"We visited Sunset at the Palms this past week for five days and were very please. This resort is beautifully done with a hint of Eastern flair to reflect the ultimate of peace and comfort. We arrived on a Monday and for the first two days we thought we were in our own personal private resort. If you are looking for ultimate peace and quite, this is the place for you. The rooms (cabin type structures with two units) are gorgeous. They are very nicely decorated, again with the ultimate of comfort and rest in mind. The food was very good, lots of fresh fruits and vegetables which are grown right on the resort and lots of choices. The drinks are very good and they do not skimp on portions. The staff is exceptional, they are friendly and accomidating and just want you to have a good time and relax. These people work very hard and please please remember that, even though the resort is all-inclusive, they are very appreciative of a recognition for a job well done. A couple of American dollars says alot about how you feel about a job well done!"

• Travel date: 23rd April 2005

A Little Heaven

Reviewed 11th October 2012

"I just returned from a perfect vacation.Everyone treats you as if you were special. I wish I was still there! The food is out of this world; the deserts are worth the trip, French pastries! The beach is to die for, and the pool is so relaxing. The cabins could not be nicer; just don't eat in your room, because the tropical setting, you could have ants if food is left behind. The resturants are so nice thats the place to eat. If you don't see it, then ask for it everyone will take care of you. This is not a party type place, its great for romance, and relaxing, totally fun. This is more than a three star vacation, 4+"

• Travel date: 16th April 2005

Perfect vacation

Reviewed 15th November 2012

"My husband and I just came back from Sunset at the Palms. Let me tell you, it was perfect: the grounds, the food, the staff, the beach, everything. As soon as we stepped off the bus, we were greeted by friendly staff with cold towels and cool refreshments. The cabins were so intimate and private. The shower was so phenomenal, i didn't want to get out of it!! Our massages were truly relaxing. Even though there were still renovations going on, we hardly heard any noise. The waitstaff barstaff, and the front office staff were so friendly and accomodating. The beach was so clean and the water was crystal clear with colors of blue, green, and bluegreen. This beautiful resort did not take away the natural wonders of Jamaica. We loved hearing the birds and the other wildlife during our stay and our view of the mountains were spectacular. We ventured through the Riu Resort next door and the one at the end of the bay: The music was so loud and the beaches were just so crowded. One of the resorts even had techno music during the day! We were so glad that we were staying at a nice and peaceful resort listening to relaxing reggae music. We feel well rested and pampered after our 5 night stay. Next time we will book for at least 2 weeks. We can't wait to come back!!"

• Travel date: 12th April 2005

Simple Luxury!

Reviewed 15th November 2012

"My husband and I spend 6 days/5 nights at Sunset (April 7-12) and loved every relazing moment of it. The cabins are private bungalows surrounded by lush grounds. You'll appreciate the beautiful hard wood floors, king size bed, vaulted wood ceilings, french doors that open to a private deck, gorgeous slate/marble bathrooms, and purposely absent clock/alarm clock....natural and simple luxury. The layout provides an amazing amount of privacy and beauty. The food was fantastic...lengthy dining hours, great variety (at home favorites and caribbean dishes), and never a rushed or busy feel. The nightly entertainment is a simple 3 piece band, or solo piano/singer...all with an island flavor. Most of the time you'll feel as if no one is there....it's not at all like the large crowded resorts down the beach from Sunset (Riu, Couples, etc.) They look nice too but sooo crowded and loud at night! The staff at Sunset is fantastic...they are there to help you relax in every way possible, not plan full days of activities...if you want to snorkel, kayak, etc. you can sign out the equipment on the beach and that's that. The beach bar and snack area are great and convenient. There is a simple walk across the street to the beach, but it wasn't inconvenient. However, I would love to stay in one of the new beach front Cabins once they are built. The locals are friendly, but will most likely want to sell you 'smoke' or braid your hair. If you are not interested in both don't say "maybe later" or "I'll think about it". Just say "nope not intested" and that'll be the end of it. They don't hassle you at all....they are all friendly people, but want to make a buck. It is definitely a growing resort, but it doesn't feel unfinished anywhere...more like "oh look honey they're covering that walk with white stones, won't that look nice". We wished we brought......more books, a deck of cards, a drink container (in stead of getting cup after cup of red stripe they'll gladly fill up a sports bottle/mug/etc. full of beer) a lot of US $1.00 bills (tipping isn't necessary, but the bartenders were so nice we did at least once a night), bug spray (my husband didn't get bit once, but I always get bit!) and the charger for our digital camera (didn't realize they'd have U.S. outlets). We didn't need to bring....... beach towels (provided) or a hairdryer (in the room). Have fun! Go now...while the prices are still reasonable!"

• Travel date: 12th April 2005

You Must Stay Here

Reviewed 19th December 2012

"I stayed here before the improvements and loved it so i cant wait to come back and see how great it has become! This is no hotel. The cabins are private and the gardens are gorgeous. The pool bar is a relaxing, jovial environment - perfect for an after dinner drink before bed! The food and drinks were phenomenal and I was so glad it was all you can eat. The beach was beautiful and there was plenty of space. (I was so glad to be at a resort that was not thriving with drunken spring-breakers.) I wanted to spend as much time as i could near the water and their water sports, such as snorkling and sailing, occupied me for hours. You just have to go to Sunset at the Palms if you want beautiful vacation memories!"

• Travel date: 8th April 2005

Sunset at the Palms for laid-back luxury...

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"I spent 3 nights at Sunset at the Palms, March 15 to 18th and I was VERY impressed. Then, I had to meet up with a wedding party at Sandals, Negril for the next 4 days. Although I was happy to meet up with my friends for the wedding, I missed Sunset at the Palms. The bigger resorts: Sandals, Rio, Couples, Beaches etc. are too commercial and not personal. After only 4 days at Sunset, the staff and other guests knew my name. There were about 60 guests there; couples, international guests (from Italy, Canada) and even a few other singles. I travel alone often and for those out there nervous about trying a new resort let me tell you: I felt safe, comfortable, and spoiled at Sunset at the Palms. The rooms were well-designed and beautiful. Each room has a beautiful view of the mountains, with a private porch. Here is a quick review: FOOD-Amazing. Great selection and always fresh tasting. Highlights include the cocunut snapper and corn meal pudding (a jamaican classic). STAFF-Kind, fun and helpful. Say hi to Sharon, Esroy, both O'Neils, Andre, Vanessa, Roan, Paula and John if you go! Benji, the cab driver, is great too if you feel the need to leave the resort. THE BEACH-The beach at Sandals was not as nice as the one at Sunset. At Sandals, I kept touching seaweed and garbage in the water, gross. Sunset's beach is on Bloody Bay, which has no seawood or rocks in the water. THE GROUNDS-are basically lush gardens. I saw a few hummingbirds, and there were flowers and greenery everywhere. The pool was lovely too. Feel free to email me at -- if you have any questions!"

• Travel date: 27th March 2005

Fabulous honeymoon

Reviewed 19th December 2012

"I also just returned from Sunset at the Palms and absolutely loved it!! It was my honeymoon, and it was everything we expected. Everyone else is absolutely right - you will love it. Since it is still under construction, we faced a few inconveniences, but we didn't let them bother us. For example, on two different days, we returned to our room to find that they had turned off our electricity and water and didn't notify us. These outages didn't last very long, and we just went back down to the bar and had drinks while we waited. Speaking of the bar, the staff was great!! Greg and Dwight will definitely keep you entertained and can make the best drinks you've ever had! Food was good. Everything was buffet-style, but we had many choices and still got 5-star service at every meal. They advertise that all tips are included, but we still tipped every bartender, the waitstaff, and the beach and office staff. They take good care of you, and don't forget they need it more than we do!! The beach is very nice and clean. don't worry about being approached - a "no thank you" will take care of it. We rarely left our hotel, but when we did, we had Benji the cab driver take us everywhere. On our wedding night, he took us to a restaurant with a VERY long wait, and he spoke to the staff and got us a table in under 5 minutes. He's knowledgable of the area and is like having a quick history lesson everywhere you go. If you're looking for a nice quiet place to spend your vacation, Sunset at the Palms is just perfect. Any questions, feel free to email"

• Travel date: 27th March 2005

A gorgeous work in progress...

Reviewed 15th December 2012

"We were hesitant about staying at an all inclusive near negril's fabulous beach. But we heard about the renovations at sunset and decided to see what it was all about. We were VERY impressed by a few things: - all the food was excellent, better than the large inclusives (which are ok at best), hope it stays this way after the resort is at full capacity. - rooms were cozy, comfortable and beautiful-romantic. - the grounds were amazing, even though the west end is going through one of their toughest drought seasons. Keep it up jeff! - staff was very helpful, friendly and met every need. - the decor had a polynesian island flare that was both elegant and casual. Things to come/improve: - live music was just ok compared to that on the 7 mile, but it was a nice daily option. - water pressure was low sometimes nonexistant, but i think this is due to the drought. surely be better after april-may. And they were very accomodating. - you have to cross the road to get to the beach. They have a cross guard but i think they are building a bridge over it and more cabins on the beach side. that will rock! - you have to take a cab to the 7 mile beach or cliffs....this cost us about 5-10 dollars each way every time. A shuttle would be nice....*hint*!! We look forward to coming back in a year or two to see the final outcome, but we fear prices are going to skyrocket for this gorgeous work in progress. One love, jon and tamara"

• Travel date: 25th March 2005

Hotels near Sunset at the Palms

Sunset at the Palms is also called

• Sunset at the Palma Resort Hotel
  • sunset palms
  • sunset at the palms negril