About Negril Tree House Resort

• currency exchange
  • fax photocopying
  • massage
  • shops amenities
  • sun loungers beach chairs
  • gift shop amenities
  • hot tub
  • snorkeling amenities

You can do better

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"We stayed at the Tree House in late February 2007 and found it good but not great. Our rate at that point was almost $150 a night, and even in Negril that seems high for a rather aging and average property. The rooms were comfortable and rather large, the shower was huge, the ceiling fan worked great. But, for example, the TV picture was fuzzy and the walls were thin (I heard the child next door coughing and every conversation at 7:30 a.m., or what neighbors were watching on TV). The decor was fine but tired (the curtain panels differed in length by 4 inches, just an example of the lack of thought in how the rooms look). Breakfast was a buffet, and plentiful, but I would not call it fabulous. Sometimes we waited 10 minutes for the overworked woman at the omelet station to get our orders done. At the front desk, the clerks were indifferent (I asked 2 different clerks for beach towels one day and never could seem to get one). The location is fine, in the middle of 7-Mile Beach and within easy walking distance of restaurants. Definitely a cab ride to Negril Village or the cliffs area. The Tree House was acceptable, but I would not rush to stay there again."

• Travel date: Sat 31st of March 2007

Everything You Heart Desires

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"For the money, it can’t be beat. That is my wife’s and my opinion of the Tree House Resort. The ride from MO Bay starts off your vacation with a bit of excitement. Just sit back and don’t watch the road. You might even want to grab a couple of Red Stripes at the airport before you leave.

Check-in at the Tree House is simple, quick and painless. The bellman, Claude, was very helpful, showed us the room features and took care of our needs happily and promptly, by Jamaican standards. Just a note about that, the pace of life is a lot slower in Jamaica, but be patient and accept it. Before long you will find your self living at the same pace and it makes the vacation all that more relaxing.

The ocean view room was nice, a bit small, but tastefully appointed and comfortable; after all, you shouldn’t be spending much time in your room anyway. They were starting to do some remodeling while we were there and I am interested to see how it looks when we return. We where there around the end of October and practically had the place to ourselves. The bathroom was spacious and much as we would see in any motel in the states. The air-conditioning was very adept at keeping the room cool, which is nice as temps are warm day and night. The maid service was good, and the whole staff was very friendly.

The beach is beautiful, with plenty of beach chairs and the beach bar is close at hand. Lexus, the beach manager oversees the area and keeps the hustlers away, unless you have an interest in whatever they may be selling. There also is shade and sun on the beach and believe me, the shade can feel good after a bit of the Jamaican sun. There are plenty of opportunities to enjoy Waverunners or any other water activity you might enjoy. The water is clean, warm and usually quite calm.

The food at the Tree House is very good. The free breakfast buffet is good, with local favorites as well as an omelet bar. Excellent Blue Mountain coffee is available at 8:30 and the buffet closes up at around 11:00 am. We really enjoyed the jerk pork and chicken which was freshly grilled everyday. It makes for a good lunch or dinner. The menu for dining on the beach at night was somewhat limited, but most everything we tried, we enjoyed. There are also quite a few good restaurants either way you choose to go on the beach. There is a little pattie shop up the beach that had really good meat patties, cheap!

If you are considering the Tree House for a vacation destination, go for it! You get a good value, low pressure vacation and you will find yourself wanting to come back for more. The staff and ownership, the Jackson family, take pride in their little piece of paradise and want you to enjoy yourself, no problem mon!"

• Travel date: Sat 10th of March 2007

The best vacation we ever had.

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"This was the best vacation we ever had and we have been all over the world. The Nigril Tree House is small but very nice. The staff were friendly and coudn't do enough to make your stay great.
This was our first trip to the Nigril Tree House but we have already made arrangements to go back for a longer stay next year. IT WAS THE BEST VACATION EVER!!!!!!"

• Travel date: Fri 23rd of February 2007

wonderful stay

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"Liz. Manchester, England
I Stayed at this hotel for four nights at the end of january with my boyfriend. This was the third time we've been to Negril, but the first time we've stayed at the Tree House.

This was the nicest and friendliest hotel we have stayed at in Negril. Our room was small but directly on the beach. Perfect.

We ate in the hotel restaurant on the beach once, the food was lovely. Breakfast in the hotel was good enough, we both found things we liked.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who likes to avoid the prison camp scenario of the all inclusives."

• Travel date: Fri 23rd of February 2007

Affordable but nice

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2012

"We stayed at Tree House in December 2005 and that was our first time in Jamaica. Location of the hotel is great, staff was friendly. We didn't expect so much luxury since we chose an afordable hotel but we found more than we expected. Breakfast with fresh fruits is great. The best thing is that the rooms are not across the street like some other hotels which I don't like, they're just one-two minutes walking distance from the beach."

• Travel date: Thu 15th of February 2007

Negril Tree House - You can do better!

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"We stayed at the Tree House 1/21/07 - 1/28/06. I was disappointed from start to finish. We checked in with someone who made us feel we were bothering her and she didn’t want to help - even though we were the only ones checking in. We were then escorted to our room by a bellman wanting to sell us ganja. We made our way to a room with a linoleum floor that should have been replaced 10 years ago. It was very stained and made us question the cleanliness of the room. There was a dirty spot on the tile wall in the bathroom that looked like it was hit with a dirty mop - that spot was still there when we checked out eight days later The lighting in the room was so dim that it made it necessary to open all of the curtains to get enough light to unpack our suitcases. I like to read before going to sleep, but reading in the room was almost impossible. The “Garden View” was a strip of grass about 15 feet wide between the building and the driveway that contained a couple of trees. We changed into swimsuits and headed out to the pool which was a small above ground pool that has not seen a coat of paint in years. We went to the beach bar for cocktails and were subjected to a bartender that was more interested in talking to the other people working in the hotel then in serving the guests. It took almost 10 minutes to get a beer and there was no one else at the bar. This situation continued with the bartender through our entire stay (sorry, I didn’t get his name). Also the restaurant alleges to serve breakfast from 8 am -11 am. Monday morning we had a tour guide scheduled to pick us up at 9:00 am. When breakfast was still not being served by 8:30 we opted for cold cereal and warm milk because that was what was ready. This pattern continued for the entire week. Friday when we had anothr tour and Sunday when we checked out we again had cereal because that was all that was available by 8:40 and we had to leave. Seating in and around the hotel also leaves a lot to be desired. There is no comfortable seating in the room, restaurant, by the pool or the bar. Other then in the hotel lobby, the seating is the hard plastic resin chairs or hard wicker chairs. We have been home for four days and my tailbone is still feeling bruised. The good things about the Tree House is the beach is very clean and what is there of the grounds are very well maintained by friendly gardeners and once the restaurant is open for breakfast, the servers are very friendly and the food while mostly the same every day was well prepared. The lobby area is also clean and bright and the location is great for anyone who wants to be on the beach as it is centrally located . While Jamaica is much more expensive then Mexico or the Dominican Republic where we have traveled extensively (and not better than either), I can't believe that you can't do better then this for the money. Keep looking!"

• Travel date: Wed 31st of January 2007

Nice, cute place at a good price

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Stayed at the Tree House Jan. 1-5, 2007 with my fiance. Had a wonderful holiday.

I have to say that the hotel was nice as long as your expectations are not too high. Each tree house unit is 2 floors and has about 3-4 rooms per floor. The room is a good size as is the washrrom. The tub was a bit rusty but otherwise everything was fine. The resort is right on the beach and they boast a fantastic free buffet breakfast each morning from 8 am-11am complete with omelette station. The only problem i had with the rooms were that the walls were paper thin (ie. You can hear your neighbors at conversation volume). The windows are wooden blinds but they are obviously not sound proof (ie. you can hear every person that walks by and if they are sitting outside their room at their table or the swing, they may as well be in your room). We had a few issues with our neighbor coming home at 4am and turning on their tv and talking outside their room. Not completely their fault as sound travels thru our window but they should have been a little more quiet coming home at that hour.

The resort is situated just north of the midway point of the beach and about 100 feet away from Margaritaville. The Tree House has a nice bar/restaurant on the beach. We ate just light snacks and numerous drinks here. You have the option of putting all your tabs on your hotel tab which is nice. You can walk the length of the beach and visit all the other hotel bars/restaurants but it is just under 7 miles long. The pool and hot tub are outdoor and looked nice but we didn't go in. We never had any problems getting beach beds or a prime spot under the umbrella and we typically went to the beach around 10:30 am. There are several gift shops around and you'll be able to pick up things you might need although at a high price.

If you need a hair dryer, bring one from home as they only have 1 for the whole resort. My fiance pouted for days until they finally located one for her. There is a shortage of irons too. I suggest wearing wrinkle free if you plan on dressing up a bit.

Recommend the restaurants Rockhouse (on the Cliffs) and Norma's (2 doors down). Rockhouse has free hotel pickup but no return service (need taxi). Best restaurant in negril in my opinion both in food and views.

Took an Appleton Rum tour and was fun. $15 US admission but it was a 2 hour taxi ride ($120 roundtrip). About an hour and a half tour and tasted most of their rums and sampled sugarcane."

• Travel date: Mon 8th of January 2007

Can't get enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Me and 4 of my girlfriends went for a week of fun and the sun. We have never flown nor travel out of the U.S. but since im turning 30 next month(Oct 29th) this was something that I had to do. When we arrived it was rainy and cloudy but we did not let a little rain spoil our trip. As soon as we drop off our bags we were off. Alford's on the beach was wonderful live reggae bands and the best looking guys ever. The next day we enjoyed days on the beach and clubbing at night. Club Juggle was soooooo cool.................I had so much fun i didn't want to come back home..........but all good things come to and end. So I will be back in October for my 30th bday to do it all over again. The Treehouse was under rated but i will be staying again and again...................the staff @ the Treehouse was nothing but respectful and nice, see you guys soon.....Diana"

• Travel date: Sun 24th of September 2006

Amazing Choice!!!!

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"My boyfriend and I stayed at the Treehouse in mid-July for 2 weeks. The resort is a basic, well designed, and well run hotel. The accomadations were excellent with expertly cleaned rooms, air conditioning, cable TV, and huge bathrooms. We had a garden room that looked out on the beautifully manicured garden. The beach is steps away and was calm, clear and refreshing. During the short rain showers, we sat outside on our private porch, enjoying the tropical trees and geckos.

The complimentary breakfast was excellent- from omelettes, pancakes, grits, and hash browns to saltfish and ackee. It was like a hearty home cooked meal.

The staff was attentive and very polite. The Treehouse is locally owned by the Jackson family and the staff seems to be very happy to work there. There was a wonderful, jovial atmosphere.
And I felt very safe at all times.

In terms of Negril, we explored everywhere- the town, the 14 km beach, the cliffside, the countryside. Xtabi is a must for cliff jumping, snorkelling, and caves. Most hotels on the cliffside would let us hang out at the property, usually with the purchase of a drink. And there is a wonderful quiet patch of beach between Long Bay Beach and the northern resorts.

We ate at great restos like the Rockhouse, Xtabi, Kuyaba, and the exquisite Vendome, that has wonderful 5 course meals at great prices. Many restos and Rick's will pick you up for free.

Twice we walked the stretch of the cliffside from downtown to the Lighthouse and recommend it highly, just for the sites of the hotels as well as local homes and businesses. Of course there are people trying to sell you stuff, on the cliffside and on the beach, but this is a resort town. This is how locals make their money. It can get quite aggressive at times, but being firm is the key.

We talked to many locals and met some incredible people. Some people would approach us under a friendly guise, and then try to sell us something. We got wise to that quickly.

And haggle, haggle, haggle for anything from taxi fares to souvenirs. Jamaica is all about bargaining. This is especially key in the art/craft markets. A lot of people sell the same stuff, so that unique looking fish carving you see is available at multiple stalls.

At night, we took taxis everywhere, unless we dined on the beach. Nightime beach walks are nice, but you will be approached often for drugs or money. I suggest carrying just what you need and being firm with vendors.

Overall, Negril was awesome and breathtaking- ah those sunsets! I recommend getting a taste of both the beach side and the cliffside. The advantages of the beach is that's bustling with all kinds of traffic and the sandy beach provides calm waters. The cliffs are more isolated so you get more privacy, no vendors at the hotel properties, and more adventurous swimming.

For people who go to Jamaica and never leave their resort for security reasons, unbelievable and too bad! You have to walk down that 14 km stretch of sand and jump off the cliffs at Xtabi at least once!

But to each his own- all I know, Treehouse is a fabulous alternative to an all inclusive and you help support a locally owned place."

• Travel date: Fri 1st of September 2006

Island Charm: I dont know any place better

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"My mother and I stayed at the Negril Tree House June 15-19 and we had a wonderful stay. I personally wouldn't call it a resort but I think the service rivals if not surpasses that of resorts. I'd been there in 2003 while attending a wedding and it was almost exactly the same as I remembered it. When we entered our suite through the c. 14ft arched doors the feeling was cool and tropical. The rooms have enormous vaulted cathedral ceilings with exposed beams and ceiling fans. Mom loved it. We chose a spacious oceanfront 1 bedroom suite. 7 or F, I can't remember which, on the top level, front left corner of the building. The other regular rooms are much smaller but the high ceilings add to the roomy airy feeling. There is also an AC unit in each room that works so well we were chilly. The bedroom had a pretty bedspread but the linens are nothing special. It also has it's own bathroom for mom and the living room had a smaller one for me. The living room had 2 twin sized murphy beds which were comfortable enough but the laminate cupboard they're stored in has seen better days. I think it had some water damage/stain at the bottom 2 inches. Aside from that and the tired little fridge with the hob on top, the room was very clean. I don't know about you but for me the level of cleanliness has a direct correlation between how much I enjoy my room and vacation. And the Negril Tree House has VERY clean rooms. Thank you Dawn, for taking such good care of our room.

As far as room decor there isn't much. It's more of an atmosphere. Unpretentious and inviting. Like a home away from home. The floors are cool and clean and shiny. The walls are crisp white with high arched doorways. Some of the doors appeared to be hand carved which adds to the rustic tropical character of the rooms. The windows had 4inch wooden louvered shutters and also screens. Each morning I would push back the drapes, open the shutters, and the double doors and we'd wake up to the sounds and sights of the sky and ocean. Mom's view from her bed in the back bedroom was framed by the white arches leading down the hall and the one at the front entrance. Stunning. In the evenings we'd turn the heavy carved chairs in the living room around to face the doorway and the water beyond and just sit in the dark and listen to the waves and the crickets, geckos and frogs. Sometimes one of our neighbors would join us and we'd sit and talk quietly in the dark. Bring plenty of repellent.

The breakfast food is good but as Jamaican food goes it was a little under seasoned. Plus they never served ackee and saltfish. So we went to Sweet Spice ($2-3 taxi ride) and for around $8 US had a great Jamaican breakfast with all the fixins. Also notable are Cosmos, down the beach and Cool Spot across the street. At Cool Spot, which is sweltering by the way, our waitress was is excellent. My mother wanted fish but it wasn't on the menu. The waitress Chelsea asked us to wait for a moment and when she came back she said, 'If you don't mind the wait the cook will prepare a fish for you' That made mom happy. Her next request was from the drink menu. Lemonade. Chelsea said they were all out but then she asked a man sitting at another table behind us if he had any limes at his house and would he bring a few. Minutes later mom was sipping ice cold sweet limeade made just for her. We ate outside (me coated in layers of repellent) and our dinners were delicious. It turns out that the fella' sitting at the table behind us was the owner Barry. Barry, you have a great spot there and we'll be sure to visit next time we're in JA. Margaritaville is O.K. but serves more American-type food. Devon House has very good Caribbean flavor ice cream. Try the Grape Nut. Yes its made from cereal. Its good too. Ricks Cafe I didn't do this trip but last time was great fun watching the divers (including my hubby) and later the sunset.
Negril Tree House also has one Internet set up in the open air lobby. We paid $10 or $11 for an Internet card and used it to check in back home a few times.

The beach is tiny but clean and comfortable. The metal & canvas gazebos probably need to be replaced but they offer shade and some shelter during the daily hour long rain showers. The small open air beach side bar/restaurant has good food and drinks. We spent $30 on dinner and drinks. If you eat there at high tide you might just get your toes wet it's that close to the water. I could go on about the elevated pool and jacuzzi, the verandas with their tables and swings, the gardens with their fruit trees, flowers and hammocks, and so on for days. I absolutely LOVE the Negril Tree House and I'm scheming about how to get back there again this year for the marathon and half marathon.
Talicia please tell Trey and the rest of the night shift drivers that the Quality of Life Police say Hello."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of July 2006