Good

Home away from home!

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"My husband and I just got back from Jamaica Sunday night with incredible tans and HUGE smiles on our faces. We started a week mini-vacation down at Point Village (as usual, pretty disappointing, but that's another story) and then we moved up to Citronella and within 1 minute we knew that we made a mistake - we should have spent our entire week at Citronella!

We stayed in Round House and were not disappointed! The pictures do not capture the feeling of standing there on the edge of the cliff looking out into the endless blue sea in every single shade of blue you can imagine (and probably a few more). The view is truely breathtaking! The cottage is as adorable as the view is incredible. There is a kitchen that is perfect in size and a nice sized bathroom with an outdoor shower (completely covered - to the point you can take a shower during one of the tropical rain storm and never get a drop of unwanted water on you) with nicely warm water.

The loft bedroom, as well as the entire cottage, gets a nice breeze coming off the water, just open up the leaver windows to let the air in! It was divine! If I close my eyes now, I can still hear the sounds of the water washing against the cliffs below dappled with the slight chirps if the tree frogs (and not as overwhelming as can be found down at the other end of Negril). It lulled us to sleep each night.

There are plenty of soft bathroom and kitchen towels. The fridge is nicely cold - kept the Red Stripe at the perfect temperature. Everything is incredible - I really can't stop saying how much we loved it and can't wait to go back as soon and as often as possible. We totally felt as if this was our new home away from home...which is why this review was so hard to write - I loved Citronella and can not stop saying enough about it, but on the other hand, if everyone else starts going there, there won't be any more time for me to book. So please, trust me that it is the single most relaxing place on the planet (and no, I have not really been to all the places on the planet, I have a tendancy to exagerate)! But please be kind and leave some time for my husband and I!"

• Travel date: Sat 12th of July 2008

The Real Jamaica On the Cliffs

Good
Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"Citronella is a private gated property on the cliffs consisting of several rental cottages set within the landscape. Each cottage varies in size; some sleep up to eight and some only four. Some cottages are set right on the cliffs with their own water access and some are set just off the water. The property is landscaped such that each rental is very private. Clearly a talented gardener maintains the grounds as it is littered with an amazing variety of unusual native plants and flowering shrubs; truly a delight for an enthusiast. The cliff location is absolutely spectacular and affords a view from The Caves to Ricks. The water access was a bit daunting but if you are willing to take the plunge and brave the climb back up the rusty ladder your reward is a breathtaking coral paradise and rolling swells in the Caribbean. The actual accommodations are sparing with mini fridge and basic beds. Please note, there is NO AC, and on the hot cliffs of Negril this can be an issue. Although the setting was incredibly peaceful at night the heat can be wearing. As this is a rental cottage and not a hotel, the property is maintained by a lovely Jamaican family who are friendly and helpful but won't provide room service or concierge help. We stayed during the off season and found it very difficult to find meals within walking distance with the exception of Ricks and an overpriced mini-mart. This property would be wonderful for individuals seeking a dramatic authentic Jamaican experience with lots of privacy but I would not recommend it to families. As is the true Jamaican spirit, freedom reins here and our fellow guests indulged in some local adult only entertainment that I certainly wouldn't want my five year old to see. All in all a very visceral experience that we won't forget."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of June 2008

A little piece of paradise...

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"If you are planning a trip to Negril you MUST stay at Citronella. It really is a little piece of paradise. The first time we went to Negril we wanted to stay on the beach, which was fine but we never really felt like we could ever find any peace and quiet . We were looking for something romantic. Every other minute, we were being harassed by beach peddlers trying to sell us something. So we decided to stay in the cliffs on our second trip. We also decided to elope! I found Citronella on TripAdvisor. I'd heard of Rockhouse & the Caves. We weren't able to stay in either places but I'm so thankful b/c Citronella was better than anything I could have ever imagined. Cathy & Jon, the owners, were so kind and helpful. Not only did we get 50-star service from the staff, but those 2 made sure we felt right at home on their property.

We stayed in the Round House, which is the cutest & most private all of the cliff cottages. Not only is it adorable, but it had it's own little veranda, private stairway and entrance into the ocean, a small lawn with a hammock in the shade and a very spacious inside. The cottage was spotless. We had a small outdoor shower and full kitchen that came in handy on those nights we didn’t fell like eating a full dinner at one of the outside restaurants. The staff was SO friendly. Trevor is the “go-to” man on the grounds. Cathy and Jon were also always around and available for any questions we had.

We decided to elope there only 4 days before our arrival. Cathy went out of her way to ensure our ceremony was perfect. Being a floral designer she had a beautiful bouquet & boutineer made for us. as well as a large arrangement for our room. She organized a reverend, & champagne toast and put me in touch with an AMAZING local photojournalist, Misha Earle, who was able to capture the moment.

Negirl itself is beautiful but nothing is mores spectacular than the view from Citronella and being around such a warm group of people that literally welcome you into their "home"

My husband and I plan on making Citronella a yearly stop on our calendar. We highly recommend you skip the overhyped Caves & Rockhouse and kick your feet up and relax at Citronella."

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of April 2008

Don't miss Citronella

Reviewed Sat 13th of October 2012

"Citronella has created a big problem for our family. We are active late 40's with a 16 yr old and a 11 year old and had real issues finding a location we all could enjoy. The problem now is how to find anything close to Citronella in the future - it was perfect. After spending 5 days on the beach in Negril this was the perfect pull back and chill location. Wonderful staff, clean and comfortable with a never to be forgotten feel. Let the nice folks at Negril onestop book it for you"

• Travel date: Thu 10th of April 2008

better than ever

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"I just returned from a very nice stay at citronella. I know their are many people who have for years loved staying at this special place like I have. For those who have not been to citronella for awhile will be nicely surprised by the number of upgrades. First is the hot water for the showers, this has never been a issue for me but I will tell you it was nice to get really clean after a long relaxing day with 2-3 layers of suntan lotion and a full layer of salt from the beautiful ocean swims. Second a very nice touch in upgrading all the mattresses, really nice and firm and very comfortable for all the cottages. Third the grounds a never looked better, the trees and palms both new and old have not looked so good since hurricane Ivan devastated most of the vegatation on the whole west end. Fourth the great house is back and better than ever. When you stay at citronella you have so much privacy that you don't know anyone else is vacationing also on the property, the great house is a lovely place to feel comfortable in meeting others or just relaxing. I just love sitting out at sunset and listening and watching people arrive for sunset at rick's by boat. I see them watching the people relaxed at citronella and just know that someone is saying to another " Why can't we ever stay at a place where we can just relax where we are and not have to go on all these tours ".....If that is what you are looking for in a vacation then citronella is the place."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of January 2008

Perfection....

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"We are a couple in our mid-20s/early 30s from New York City just returning from Citronella and felt compelled to post something about the property because we have been enjoying it for about 4 years and it
just gets better every time we visit. The property is the ideal place to get away from the often hectic pace of Negril beach or certainly away from the cookie-cutter-type super-club places found all over the carribean. Having spent some time growing up in a hotel in the carribean I can tell you this place is an amazingly private and well maintained property that is suited for those who want to really relax and take-in a spectacular view. If Sports Illustrated's use of the neighboring cove adjacent to the Citronella property for last year's Swimsuit issue is any indication of how incredible this place is than that should help give an idea of this property's emerald waters that surround it's lush beauty. We have stayed in most of the villas at this point and each of them has its own private and unique charm and most allow for a good deal of self-sufficiency with kitchens and/or refrigerators. The outdoor showers built into the sides of the cliffs right on the water's edge for nearly each villa is an amazing touch I might add and taking a shower during sunset while the blue water laps up against the coral cliff shower is an amazing experience unto itself
(I highly recommend it). Citronella is also close to all the best restaurants in Negril like The Hungry Lion, Rockhouse restaurant, Pirate's Cave and Three Dives Jerk. The main beach is also completely accessible via a short cab or bike ride (Citronella can set you up with bikes or motor scooters if you need them) so you can enjoy the best of both worlds: the privacy and beauty that the West End Cliffs of Negril affords and the walks along the beach and action/music/bars,
etc that the beach affords. Check out Citronella and say hi to Cathy, John, Trevor, Junior and Teddy for us when you go! They're all great people that want to make sure your stay rocks!"

• Travel date: Thu 10th of January 2008

Cliffs and seaside perfection

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"Citronella is the crown jewel, the easily overlooked gem of the cliffs of Negril. I first saw Negril/ the cliffs/ Citronella 35 years ago. A great deal has changed since then, of course. Mostly for the better (electricity and refrigeration are nice to have). But, Negril has become NEGRIL, and now I have to wear a bathing suit on the beach. (Actually, at my age that's a good thing.) And, as you'd expect the hotels have developed their properties to pack in as many people as possible. Sardine city. But, something's been lost, because, you see, it used to be very private. On the cliffs, out by the lighthouse, it was just like you wanted it to be.
At Citronella, though, time has stood still. I recently returned and found it nicer (much nicer, actually), but it remains the same in what counts: an ideal location and stretch of coastline, an unequaled place of peace, natural beauty, tranquility, and total privacy. They're not packing them in; they still have great little cottages set by themselves where you have total privacy in a relaxed, comfortable setting of enchanting beauty. They have intentionally kept the number of guests/units very low to maintain the ambience. Sweeping lawns, lush tropical vegetation, private sea access...the complete package. Just you, the sea, and the sunsets. A smaller cottage perfect for a romantic getaway, or a larger one for the family. No annoying people trying to sell you something. Snorkeling extraordinaire, with even the occasional manta at your doorstep. And, when/if you want to boogie you're only a 3 minute walk to Rick's Cafe and other world famous watering holes and hotspots.
Citronella is not only the best place on the cliffs but also the best deal, offering the most value for your money. By far. So, my advice is go to Citronella and have that Caribbean, seaside vacation you didn't think you could still get."

• Travel date: Thu 13th of December 2007

Citronella is a bright spot!

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"We had an incredible time at Citronella! The resort is in an excellent location, nestled quitely along the bluest waters I've ever seen. Each villa offers a unique experience and a few steps down along the rock-lined shore -- swimming, sunbathing, and snorkling awaits you. I highly recommend a visit to Citronella!"

• Travel date: Thu 13th of December 2007

Amazingly Beautiful, peaceful, perfect vacation at Citronella

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"This place is amazing, if you want quiet, private perfect getaway away from all the touristy crowded places, Citronella is the place for you. We had an amzing time and have been there several occasions and it keeps getting better. It is rustic elegance at its finest. The cottages, the tranquility and beauty as well as the staff all made this the perfect vacation"

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of December 2007

Wonderful Honeymoon @ Citronella

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"I just wanted to let anyone interested know that we had a wonderful Honeymoon @ Citronella.
My wife had never been out of the U.S., much less to such an exotic place as Jamaica.
She was absolutely floored by the beauty of the property overall, but most impressed w/ our cottage( The Round House ).
I think having the propety to ourselves for the entire visit was also a plus.
She said it was more romantic than she'd ever imagined.
I already miss Jamaica, Citronella, Junior , Jennifer, all the rest of the staff.
My wife loved it so much she wants it to be our vaction spot and wants to take our kids next time.
We were VERY PLEASED with our stay & will definately return.
I have some terrific video clips & photos that I can try to email in a slideshow format, if you are interested let me know.
This place is & will be ,one of my favorite places in Negril."

• Travel date: Fri 30th of November 2007