Toby's Resort

1 Kent Avenue, Montego Bay 00000 Jamaica

Good

OK till you get your credit card bill!!!

Reviewed Sat 13th of October 2012

"My two teenage sons and I stayed at Toby's in July. We were supposed to stay 2 nights at the end of our vacation but decided to only stay 1 night because coming from Negril, Mobay was horrible!!

Our reservations were for a room with 3 beds but when we got to our room, carrying all of our luggage because no one was there to help, it only had 2 beds. No problem I would just go ask for a roll away bed. The girl in the office said that the room had 3 beds! I asked her if she wanted to come look because somehow I must be missing a bed and she said that they must of changed things around and put us in the room next door.
The room next door did have the 3 beds but the room was still not cleaned (5:00 pm). When I asked about the room being cleaned I was told it already was cleaned! Again I asked she would like to come take a look at the dirty towels on the floor and the beds not being made she decided I was correct and was going to send someone to clean up the room. We left to go find some food and when we got back it the room had been cleaned. OK but outdated room with a great patio!!
The two pools were open but the one by the restaurant was very, very dirty.
After we saw a shooting down the street we decided to take the penalty with the airline and try to leave the next morning. When I needed to use the phone it was a complete mess!!!! You had to call the office and have her make the call for you. When I had to make 12 calls to the airline it became a pain in the butt to have to call the operator each time. This was after I had to go and get another calling card because mine would not work at this hotel! I found it easier to go up and use the pay phone to try and get a flight out the next morning.
We finally got a flight the next morning and the hotel arrained for a ride to the airport for us. We were told that they would take care of the cost of the transport but of course they did not. The driver arrived very prompt and was just a super person!! He said he had driven by and found our lights on so he just waited for us. Nice guy.

The real problems came in when I got my credit card statement!!!! I was billed the $70.00 for the first night but then there was a second charge for $100.00 posted right after the first charge!! When I called and asked about the additional charge I was told they would not reverse the charge and I would have to deal with the credit card company. Well, I was just given credit for the charge yesterday and it is now November 20, 2005 and we stayed there on July 18, 2005!!!

The resort was OK but the staff was horrible and I will not stay there ever again!!"

• Travel date: Sun 20th of November 2005

cool spot

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"The hOTEL IS NICE. There are ants but nothing a little can of bug spray wont cure. And also keep all food wrapped tightly. You also have to let the water run sometimes before it gets hot. Our trip was $435 air and hotel for 7 nights. It was a good place for that price. I would not pay much more than that. It lacks ammenities and many modern convieniences. Also we slept in twin beds. They do not have rooms available with two full size in them."

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of October 2005

Laid-back inexpensive stay in Mo'Bay- Heh Mon!

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"We stayed at Toby's resort for 4 days in 2005. Upon our arrival, Toby's staff made us feel right at home. Percy, at the front desk was abundantly helpful in helping us settle in. Our room was clean and just right for the money.

Service was prompt especially from Soldier our driver and tour guide. Soldier went above and beyond duty to make Montego Bay, a better experience than it would have been. He escorted us on shopping trips in downtown Mo'Bay and was readily available whenever we needed him. He took us to Ochio Rios and Negril and waited patiently for us the whole day, without any complaints. In addition, his fare was very reasonable compared to others on the island. Soldier's company and his impromptu education about Jamaica was practically one of the highlights of our trip.

As long as you're not expecting every comfort of home on your vacation for example: early warm showers, (which is not commonly available in the Caribbean, as seasoned travelers would already know it takes their water a while to heat) and people running up and down catering to your every whim as they would in a very expensive top of the line resort then Toby's would be a great stay. We were gone most of the day and just slept in the room. I am disappointed and embarrassed that many people have unrealistic views when traveling abroad. Please keep an open mind. If you are looking to spend all the days of your vacation on property then I suggest you pay more and stay in a gated, secluded, resort that caters to spoil Americans/ Europeans. Nevertheless, if you are interested in learning about other cultures, mingling with the locals, and enjoying nature at its untouched state please go and expand your horizon and explore the beauty of Jamaica and other island!

We've been to Jamaica several times and stayed in several places and for the price and service Toby's is just right. Mary and Theo in Dallas will definitely return to Mo'Bay and Toby's Resort."

• Travel date: Sun 7th of August 2005

Great location, good value

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"We stayed at Toby's during Reggae Sumfest 2005. Our room was clean, but smelled like mildew some days. The AC worked well, and I loved the balconies that accompanied each room. It's a budget hotel, so you might want to bring your own washcloths, soap, etc. The hotel was right at the end of the Hip Strip, so you're within walking distance to nearly everything you need. There's a free beach toward one end, and Doctor's Cave Beach toward the other. The price was perfect for the budget traveler. And don't forget to see Michael at the bar for an exquisite rum punch!"

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of August 2005

great stay for the money and location.

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"toby's is a great place for anyone on a budget. the rooms are cleans, have cable, a balcony and security. only complaints are they don't like to give you extra towels, the phone in the room didn't work for the first two days, the front desk doesn't give you your messages, they don't like to give you change and the close the first desk at 11:00pm.

the location could have been better i walked up and down the hip strip so much i think i lost 15 pounds.

FYI- coming out the hotel going right make another right there is a free beach over there no need to pay to get in doctors cave."

• Travel date: Sun 31st of July 2005

Great location & value, but bring your own washcloths

Reviewed Sun 14th of October 2012

"Toby's Resort is in quick walking distance to the Hip Strip (lots of shopping & dining) & for the value it's a great buy. Only problem was the lack of washcloths--2 of us stayed in the room & we only got one washcloth. When we regularly went to the hotel staff to ask for more, we qot quizzical looks. Other than that, the hotel staff is friendly and helpful, the pool is nice; the food's average and they do lump in a 10% gratuity per bill no matter how big your party is. I read a few of the other reviews about ants, but we had no problems in our room at all because we didn't bring food in the room. Toby's was a great value for us & I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, provided I bring my own washcloths."

• Travel date: Sat 30th of July 2005

clean, safe, comfortable

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2012

"Toby's was a great place to take a break, relax poolside or sleep. My friends and I spent most of our time touring jamaica and walking along the hip strip (which is conveniently close to Toby's). When we were there we were happy with the cleanliness of the room, the helpfullness of the staff and that everything was so relaxed. It's a great deal and a nice place to stay. We did have problems with ants. Note to all going to Toby's: do not leave ANY food open in your room! The hot water was a little tempermental as well. All in all a good place to stay while visiting Montego Bay."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of June 2005

Toby's Resort is great...

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"I stayed at Tobys Resort and was extremely happy with all aspects of the hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean, food is the restuarant is very nice and very well priced.
It is an easy walk to the Hip Strip and either the public or private beach.
I felt very safe while staying at Tobys and wouldnt hesistate in recommending it.
It is a basic hotel but is priced accordingly so if you are looking for a 5 Star or All Inclusive this is not the place for you. If however you want to experience real Jamaican hospitality then Tobys is the place for you!
The hotel also has a driver called Soldier and we did trips to Kingston and Nine Mile and he is a great driver who we felt very safe and comfortable with. Unlike other Jamaican drivers!!
We cant wait for our next stay."

• Travel date: Tue 31st of May 2005

Great Hospitality! actual stay was 01/2006

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"My family and I stayed at Toby's, knowing it was a low-budget hotel, yes, the rooms could use some updating, and the water could have been hotter. But the service was unprecedented! The Maids, the bartenders, and the food was absolutely delicious! We were waited on like we were the only guests there, and everyone was extremely friendly. The staff went out of their way to make us feel at home, and although we were there for a sad occaision(funeral) Leaving Toby's made me feel like I was leaving friends. I had no problems with people begging onsite either. Great place for the money!"

• Travel date: Thu 28th of April 2005

Loved our vacation!

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"We wanted a budget hotel so we could spend more $$ getting around in Jamaica and experiencing the country. Toby's Resort was perfect for us!
It's not fancy. It IS clean, safe, friendly and in a very convenient location. The staff really took good care of us, and after a week with them, we hated to leave! We also found that the people staying there were very friendly. Some of the fancier accomodations catered to a different kind of vacationer. The guests at Toby's seemed more intent on discovering Jamaica, not just sitting on the beach...and it made for great conversation around the pool at night. I would definately recommend hiring Paul, the main driver at Toby's, to take you on a day trip. He is very reasonable, and lots of fun to talk to. We probably learned more from him than anyone. He can also tell you the ins and outs of where to go and when to go. I would recommend Toby's to anyone who wants a good decent place to stay. We would definately return."

• Travel date: Sat 9th of April 2005

Hotels near Toby's Resort

Stayed at Toby's Resort? Share your insight.

Toby's Resort is also called