Emerald View Resort

261 Poinciana Drive Greenwood, Montego Bay Jamaica

Good

both good and bad

"Pros: Nice rustic setting, giving you a feel of the "real Jamaica" -- the complete opposite of an all-inclusive resort. Not touristy at all. Relaxed feel away from it all. Liked the authentic food at the villa (curried goat, callaloo, saltfish and ackee, etc.); Peggy will cook when you want and food is served quickly.

Cons: You will be billed a lot for transportation (not including tips!) if you want to do anything. We spent twice what we expected and took just two day trips during a five-day vacation. Our room was not thoroughly cleaned (bed made but sheets not changed, floor not swept). Our room was a little dumpy; the place looked better maintained from the outside. Bad water pressure and sometimes lack of hot water.

You get what you pay for; the stay was cheap but it evened out on transportation costs (and we sometimes had to wait around ... 10 minutes = 1 hour). Day trips were fun and recommended. This is a nice place to be away from locals hassling tourists about buying "smoke" or other unwanted stuff. All things considered, though, we might be tempted to try our luck some place else if we get back to Jamaica."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of February 2006

Very Special Place

"We were at the Emerald View Villa for about 10 days in January. It was a wonderful experience. Jennifer and her family will treat you like family. Rooms are clean and nice. We had a nice balcony. We rented a car, but we would suggest you not to do that. The villa offers you the greatest service: they give you a cell phone and you can call them whenever you want (even 2am) and Fitz-Roy (super-nice driver) will give you a ride, or pick you up. The villa will charge you a fee, depending on the distance. When you add up all fees it would we less than $700, which is what we spent on our car. Also, roads are bad, and people drive very 'differently' than in the US. We enjoyed the quiet nights, the pool, the private beach (3 or 4 couples on a huge beach), & the local restaurants (the fish hut & scotchies). We did a couple of tours. The villa is a great place to go and relax, it is out of the way (which we liked), and peaceful. We would definitely go back and stay there."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of January 2006

A great place to share with somone you love....

"My husband and I spent our vacation at Emerald View
Resort Villa. We spent our evenings together sipping
Peggy's rum punch, marveling at the wonderful views,
sharing and partaking in everthing all around us are memories that have been etched in my memory forever.

My hushand and I have been to many locations around the world, but never were we ever so comforted by the
love from Jennifer and her entire staff. We turly felt that we were home away from home. I turly want to thank them for touching our heart and allowing us to share ours.

Of our many vacations that we were blessed to experience the one we shared at Emerald View allowed us to experience a greater love that we even thought it hard to imagine existed. I pray that all individuals reading this will realise the need to visit Emerald View."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of January 2006

Great...until we got the bill!

Good

"We had a wonderful time at the villa. The staff was extremely friendly, and Jennifer (the owner) and Fitzroy (the driver) do everything to ensure that your stay is as relaxing as possible. The villa is beautiful, as are the views from the room and pool. The breakfast was quite good as well (but cost $6 per person, so this is not technically a b&b).

A few things that we found difficult to deal with were:

a barking dog that would wake us up every morning at 4am...the roosters and goats next door that would start their song and dance at around 6am every morning...and the 30-45 minute drive into Montego Bay was at times annoying, especially when trying to get to a dinner reservation.

But we accepted all of these things since we were having such a great time, and Fitzroy really goes out of his way to pick you up and drop you off whenever you give him a call without keeping you waiting...

Then things changed when the bill came....we ended up being charged for all the trips we had taken to the beach and into MoBay when we had thought they were complimentary all along. We would have been OK with paying these fees had we been told at check-in, but they came as a total surprise when it was time to check out. There was also a shady "maintenance fee" that we asked out and got somewhat of a shady response.

In sum, the stay was great, relaxing, but don't be fooled by the low nightly rate. There are tons of hidden costs that end up making the trip cost much more than expected. Might be worth staying at a hotel on the beach instead."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of January 2006

Nice, rustic getaway...

"The facility itself was well kept,clean and had very friendly staff. However, it is located up a very bumpy road away from anything convenient. The pool was small with few chairs and the grounds overlooked a neighbor's goat & rooster pen (no need to bring travel alarm). It had it's charm after you settled into the surroundings, but it would be nice to know what to expect. Jennifer & Fitzroy were great and cater to your every need. They can make suggestions for you and get you where you need to be... a great private beach 3 miles away, into downtown MoBay for fine dining (a solid 30 min. drive), or daytrips to Negril or Ocho Rios. That said, be prepared to pay for the transportation costs... every downtown round-trip (after 12 PM) cost $50 US -and that was sharing a mini-van with a group of others, so $50 charged to each room. It added up quickly as there wasn't much to do closeby. We enjoyed our stay, but would probably stay elsewhere next time. Nice if you want away from crowds."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of January 2006

Words cannot describe the beauty and hospitality shown us to at Emerald

"Oh my! words cannot describe the beauty and hospitality shown to us at
Emerald View Resort Villa. We were treated like royalty! From our arrival/departure, everyone from the owner, the chef and the driver were so friendly and happy to make our vacation a memorable one. The Bed and Breakfast/Mansion sits on a hill overlooking the beauty of flowers, swimming pool and the ocean. Absolutely, breathtaking!! I perfer a Bed and
Breakfast because you are not confined to your room. You don't have to go out for meals. You don't have to to rent a car. Everything is at your disposal. And most importantly the cost is affordable. There is an eating and an entertainment area, swimming pool and patio right there on the premises. The villa is immaculate. I recommend anyone going to Jamaica
for a vacation, consider Emerald View Resort Villa. You will not regret it. To the entire staff, again, I say "THANK YOU" for making our vacation one of the best ever. PS WE WILL BE BACK!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of May 2005

Home Away from Home

"I actually decided to stay at the Emerald View based on the postive reports on TripAdvisor so thanks to all!
Like others have said, staying at the Emerald Resort is a wonderful experience. Regardless of your length of stay, you become family. The B & B is perched on hill plateau with stunning views of the local neighborhood and sea. The grounds are meticulous and bursting with flora and feature a beautiful pool and outside dining space.
Jennifer, the proprietress, and her beautiful family are kind and generous, and all of the Emerald View staff go out of their way to provide what you need. When I wanted a traditional breakfast, ackee and saltfish were made to order. When I got sunburn, I was given a big stalk of aloe vera from the grounds. When I requested tropical fruits, mangos and coconuts were waiting for me in the fridge. And Fitzroy (driver and karate teacher extraordinaire) will make sure you get to the beach, the airport, or other destinations right on time. :)
I only had three days in Jamaica, but returned from my vacation rested and happy -- thanks in large part to the comfort and attentive service and care I received at the Emerald View."

• Travel date: Sun 27th of March 2005

Great bed and breakfast!

"Hi All -

I just got back from staying at Emerald View Resort Villa and it was great. I highly recommend going there!

Why was it great? I wanted some alone time with my girlfriend, and not to hear college kids running by screaming about keggers... we wanted a place where we could get away, but still have access to everything that MoBay offers. We also basically had one guide/driver the whole time (Fitzroy) who was fantastic. We left for trips, etc... at our leisure (e.g. some of the all-inclusives have you leave the hotel at 8am, etc... we left after our sleep in and breakfast ;)). Also, because we wanted to experience Jamaica, we requested authentic breakfast food (saltfish and ackee, and calaloo) and got that instead of bacon and eggs, etc...

What I would recommend for you, if you are a budget traveller, is to tell the owner (Jennifer) what your budget is and what your interests are, and she and Fitzroy will sort you out! Actually, I'd recommend that to anyone... that way you'll enjoy Jamaica a lot more and relax about worrying about your money/budget.

They really do cater to you and try and personalise the experience for you... being a small bed and breakfast, that's their advantage and how they keep people coming back, so take advantage!"

• Travel date: Mon 14th of March 2005

A fantastic quiet oasis in Jamaica!

"The Emerald View is a true gem and is especially wonderful for single women traveling alone. Jennifer, the Innkeeper, is a wonderful host who completely takes care of your every need. The villa is on an amazing cliff overlooking the ocean with breathtaking views. This is a part of Jamaica most people don't know exist, complete with wild goats, pigs, donkeys, and a general jungle like setting. The rooms are perfect with nice ac and cable. They provide you with daily transport to a nearby quiet, private and safe beach that was fantastic! Pefect swimming beach. Jennifer provides you with a cell phone for which you buy minutes and thus you can always get in touch with her or the driver. The food was tasty, authentic and reasonably priced. If you like the B&B experience and want some true tranquility at a reasonable price- this is the place for you. Wonderful alternative to the all inclusive beach club scene. Much more peaceful."

• Travel date: Fri 21st of January 2005

A real-life fantasy island!!!!!

"There are absolutely no words to accurately describe the Emerald View experience, however I will try to share information you will find useful. No, you are not greeted by Mr. Rourk and Tatoo. Far better than any TV greeting, you get Jennifer/family and crew. As soon as the gates swing open you can feel the magic. I have stayed at some of the most exclusive hotels and nothing has ever touched me like this villa has. One can't place it in the posh category because it is the sole category owner of perfect. The outside architecture is unique and beautiful and the views are breathtaking, spectacular and transforming. Somehow the gates strip you of all cares before entering. Something I would never have believed possible and wish everyone could have this once in a lifetime experience. Part of the magic comes from Jennifer's ability to "hand-over" her home completely to you during your stay. You become the proud villa owner entitled to as much or as little pampering you could ever desire. The inside of the home is wonderfully inviting and is decorated with some exquisites as well as the extraordinary ordinary. You will never want for anything while you there because almost before you want something it is eagerly provided. This home was built entirely out of love and passion...and radiates a sense of power and newfound strength you'll experience throughout the stay.
I'd be remiss not to clarify a perceived hindrance to staying there. I watched this place for a year but opted not to stay because
"I percieved ‘ it to be too far away from the action. Thank-fully I decided not to let my preconceived notions keep me away. There is always a driver at your beck and call to wisk you away to wherever you desire. Quite frankly I was so content while there I didn't ever want to leave the magic. Don't know where to go? Jennifer is perfectly in sync with your needs and sends you just where you need to be! She and her phenomenal staff provide security and peace of mind second to none both on and off property. Food and drink...whatever you want, whenever you want and however you want is the villa creed. I would be willing to bet that you have never experienced service like this at any hotel. To sum it all up, you should know that no matter who you are... single, couple, or family or what you want.... privacy, romance or action the villa and it's staff is flexible enough to provide all of your needs. Now you may be wondering how you might afford such an experience? I'll leave you with two last comments.... #1 you can't afford to miss this experience. #2 The Emerald Villa rentals are surprisingly reasonable and economical and I make this personal guarantee...YOU GET FAR MORE VALUE THAN WHAT YOU PAY FOR ! By the way, when I got to the airport for departure, I changed my flight and headed right back to villa because I just couldn’t bear to leave . Thanks to the villa I am…
“Queen” Victoria
P.S. Email me with questions [email protected]
Be sure to ask Jennifer if she knows any good stories?!!!"

• Travel date: Wed 19th of January 2005

Hotels near Emerald View Resort

Stayed at Emerald View Resort? Share your insight.