Good

through no choice of my own!!

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"My daughter and i had been on an aircraft waiting to return to the uk for over 3 or 4 hours, not having got anywhere we were told we wouldnt BE going anywhere there was something wrong with the engine. we were told we would be put up in a hotel near the airport thus we were sent to morgans harbour.

On arrival i immediatley thought 'this is beautiful', the staff were polite and appreciative of what a nightmare we'd been throuh, that the children were tired, so we were all given rooms keys in record time and escorted to our individual rooms. I remember thinking WOW this room is great and sinking into the bed, turning on the a/c and relaxing instantaniously watching the tv.

The food was delicious, the service was full of polite friendly banter, the receptionists went out of their way for me and kept my little one entertained -while i spoke to various people over the phone- which they certainly did not have to do.

The only thing i would say i found to be a bit harsh was the unwillingness for room service when i had no money - because i had left my friend with all my left over currancy thinking i was going home that day- and my daughter who was 1 at the time and had already fallen asleep and i didnt want to wake her which i ended up doing i got quite mad about that.

Apart from that my experience in this hotel was a positive one and im looking to go back as a fully paying customer with a group of friends."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of June 2006

Won't Stay there Again

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"My children and I had to travel through Jamaica to get to the United States. I chose Morgans Harbour through Expedia and we stayed one night.

We arrived at the hotel around noon and the kids were hungry. It took over an hour to get the kids lunch at the restaurant. The service was horrible. After lunch, we caught a taxi to the craft market. For dinner, my son and I ate at the restaurant and it took about an hour to get food. I ordered room service for my daughter and it took over two hours.

The biggest problem was the loud music. They played music in the courtyard that was so loud it shook our room. I thought they would turn it off at midnight. They didn't turn it off until 4:00 a.m. I almost laughed the next morning when the lady at the desk asked me how we slept.

I think Morgans Harbour is more concerned about their big events, rather than the hotel guests....maybe that's where the money is.

They don't have taxis in front of the hotel. They have to call for one and it is about a 15 minute wait. I chose another hotel when we traveled back through Jamaica on our way home."

• Travel date: Mon 5th of June 2006

Best Bang for the Buck!!

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"Morgan's Harbour Hotel and Marina is a great hotel. Friendly Staff, Great View, and Good Price. Only negative aspects were far from nightlife and sightseeing, no HOT water for Baths or Showers besides that everything was great!!!
PS...visit LIME CAY ISLAND just ask the front desk about it..."

• Travel date: Tue 14th of March 2006

A needed get-away!

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"We live in St Catherine, Jamaica, and needed a little time away... So we took a chancve and drove down to Port Royal and found Morgan's Harbour for an overnight.

We were promptly recieved, and shown to our rooms. Our rooms were well appointed, clean and quite comfortable. The bathrooms were more than acceptable with plenty of hot water.

The view from the porch was beautiful and the breeze ever so pleasant...off to the pool, which we had to ourselves. We swam, had a beer and then took a nap before a delicious dinner.

The place was quiet and we slept well. Breakfast the next morning was different, Jamaican (Kidneys), but we were able to get extra toast and coffee without a problem; neither of us left anything on the plate, nor did we leave hungry!

We swam after breakfast til 10:30 showered and checked out ot at 11:30... 24 hours after we left home. It was everything we were looking for and we booked it for two night in April."

• Travel date: Sat 11th of March 2006

Need any renovation

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"One of the worst hotels that I have stayed at, for the money. The staff was unfriendly and uncaring. The room was in bad need of repair. The food was stale. When I complained they said that they had recently renovated.

It's only appeal is its location to the airport. Best to stay at one of the nicer hotels in the city and take a taxi to the airport."

• Travel date: Fri 10th of March 2006

Pirate's Paradise

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"Being a huge fan of the history of piracy, Port Royal Jamaica has been on my list of places to go for some time. In June, 2005, I was able to make the trip, and Morgan's Harbour Hotel sounded like it would be right up my alley.

Upon arrival at Kingston Airport, friendly and helpful hotel staff were waiting to help with my bags, before whisking us away for the 10 minute ride to the Hotel.

The hotel itself is situated in the historical area of Port Royal, and it shows. The hotel is surrounded on three sides by an old wall from the early days of British rule. The hotel on first appearance, was clean and well lit, with the authentic cannon out front evoking thoughts of Sir Henry Morgan himself. Check-in was a breeze, again with help from tremendously friendly and helpful staff, followed up by a porter guiding us to our room.

The room itself was a dream after a long flight from Miami. Clean, cool, well-appointed, it was as nice, if not nicer than most hotel rooms I've utilized in The States.

After dropping the luggage, I stepped out onto the back veranda, which was right on Port Royal. A few steps brought me to the outdoor bar and a deliciously refreshing drink, expertly mixed by the hotel's bar staff. During the friendly conversation which ensued, the bartender told me of the hotel's small casino, housed in an 18th Century British Naval builing on the property. I visited the casino a few nights later, where I found slot machines, a wonderfully addicting horse-racing game, and more of the friendly staff...

Although my stay was brief, it was truly delightful. Not only did the hotel management treat us like family, but they were very knowledgable about the history of Port Royal (much of which lies within walking distance of the hotel). I highly recommend Morgan's Harbour, and am already planning a return trip in the near future."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of June 2005

Beats downtown Kingston by a mile...

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"We wanted to stay away from downtown Kingston on this trip. I found the Morgan's Harbour Hotel on the web. The hotel staff was great, and the rooms have recently redone and were downright comfortable. The food was acceptable, and we found that the Chef was most accommodating with special orders we had after having sampled everything on the rather limited menu. The location is nice; not too much around the hotel (and I wouldn't venture off-site at night). There is much history in the town (a short walking distance from the hotel) of Port Royal, but hurry up as it is not at the top of the Jamaican’s list of priorities, and the history, like 1/3 of the town*, is doomed to disappear (1/3 of the town, “the wickedest city in all Christendom” disappeared during an earthquake in 1692) if the locals don't suddenly realize what a gem they really have in this historic town."

• Travel date: Wed 4th of May 2005

Fabulous Hotel

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"I got married at the Morgan's Harbour Hotel in Augsut 2001, and it was absolutely splendid, the day got off without a hitch and the food was fanstastic, we had the honeymoon suite and everything was done to me and my husband's satisfaction - Well done to the staff at Morgan's Harbour Hotel"

• Travel date: Wed 6th of October 2004

Sleepless Night

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"I booked a room, after a long day of excursions in Kingston, upon arrival the people are very friendly and the check-in was very quick.
The Hotel is really close to the airport...but that's not what kept me up all night. Behind the great sceanary of sunshine-HUGE bedroom room -King sized bed, Veranda (with French doors), deep tub and a very unique toilet (flusher handle). They're INFESTED with RATS! You can hear them crawling all night in the walls and ceilings, they even came up through the wet bar's (pipes) CRAWLING IN the sink ! the good news it was just for one night. But the Hotel does have a kind of eearie feel to it at night.....you can hear the slightest conversation or footsteps beacause it's all wood. For the price NOT WORTH IT they need much improvement...but what choices do you have when they're the only one on the stretch ?"

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of February 2004

Run

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"This place is not where you want to stay, it is very run down. The owner has not put any money into the place in years. It is not worth the superior rating (or the money they charge) , the rooms are run down and smell bad. The only plus was the help they were friendly and pleasant. First clue was they could not provide the airport shuttle because the van keeps breaking down. Luckly we only spent the one night there...."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of June 2003