Altamont Court Hotel Kingston

1 -5 Altamont Terrace New Kingston, Kingston Jamaica

My Home Away from Home

Good

"My stay at the Altamont in July was the fourth time since January 2005. I rebook each time I leave - that way I get the room I like. Everyone has their idea of what they are looking for in accommodations and if you are looking for the glitzy chains where you are merely a "guest" then the Altamont is not for you. If, however, you are looking for someplace where you are treated like "one of the family" then the Altamont is definately the place to stay. Checking in always feels like returning home and I have always found the staff very helpful and extremely pleasant. The security is great and I have never had a problem with the cleanliness of the hotel. Everyone is very friendly. The breakfast, which is incuded, is always hot and fresh and their omelets are to die for. The menu has changed since the first time I was down there and I have yet to ask for something only to find that they were "out of it". I would recommend the Altamont to anyone and am looking forward to my next stay in January of 2007. It is a great place to be when north of the 49th parallel it is cold and snowy."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of October 2006

Excellent Hotel Not Overprice and Overrated Like the Hilton and Pegasus

"I have visted the Altamont Court several times and it is always the best. Breakfast is good, free internet connection what more can I say.

When you are in Kingston and in need of a good hotel which is not overprice, and overrated like the Jamaica Pegasus and the Hilton look no further COME TO THE ALTAMONT COURT IN NEW KINGSTON.

Also when you are in Kingston Jamaica go to WHITEBONE RESTAURANT IN KINGSTON LOCATION MANNINGS HILL. The food is like you have never had in your entire life. Its a Seafood Restaurant and believe me its off the hook. One taste of Whitebone Restaurant and you are hook for life.

Altamont court hotel is the hotel to visit they are friendly, hotel clean and if you have not stayed at the Altamont you have never visted Kingston Jamaica."

• Travel date: Sat 30th of September 2006

No water? No thanks.

"We had a decent two story suite on the third floor, but there was NO RUNNING WATER! $140 a night? Absolutely unacceptable. We couldn't even flush the toilet. The first floor had SOME water, but the pressure was very weak. We had to go down three flights of stairs to take a cold shower. All I was able to get out of them was a $40 refund per night.

Shell out the extra money and stay next door at the Hilton!"

• Travel date: Tue 15th of August 2006

Nice elegant place to go

Good

"I stayed in the Altamont for two days in April. The pool was in a pleasent area of the hotel.There bathroom was average. Hospitality was excellent. The breakfast was included and served hot and at your order. My over-all experience was what to be expected of. And i would come again on my next trip."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of April 2006

Basic

"Stayed two nights in a family room, five persons, two double beds and a terrible sleeping sofa! AC very noisy, and also a lot of noise from outside.
Breakfast was very good, not a buffet as mention by others, but ordered (Jamaican og Egg any style and bacon etc. Plenty, good and included in the room price).
The rooms are basic, but clean.
The location in new Kingston is great.
They have free internet access, who actually worked!
But the hotel seems a bit worn out and in need of a make over.
We paid 160 $ a night. I would have preferred to pay more and stayed somewhere nicer…"

• Travel date: Sun 16th of April 2006

Only as a last resort

"The Altamont is very clean, and that's about all that one can say for it.

It is a good choice for a convenient hotel in the "New Kingston" business section if all the others are booked, but you wouldn't want to venture out of the hotel alone at night.

The rooms are tiny and would be barely adequate at half the price. In some rooms the noisy air conditioning units are located immediately above the bed -- not good for a good night's sleep.

The breakfast is pitiful. The restaurant seems to be out of almost everything.

How they can charge almost US$100 a night and keep a straight face while doing so is truly amazing."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of February 2006

Home Away from Home

Good

"I very much enjoyed my stay at The Altamont!Stayed there a few times and the staff made me feel like home away from home.The rooms are spacious,grounds kept clean and a very nice restaurant.The bar could stay open a little longer,but the Altamont is located in a spot where everything you want and need is in walkin distance!I'd very much recommend it!"

• Travel date: Sun 20th of November 2005

Great Place, Great People

"I stay regularly at the Altamont Hotel, both for pleasure and business. I have always been treated with courtesy and respect and consider it my second home. As other reviewers have said the breakfast is great and I have found the staff attentive. The grounds are nicely landscaped and the atmosphere relaxing. I do agree that the pool is a bit small, but I have found the bigger hotels to be too stiff and formal for my liking, despite the big pools! I recommend this hotel to anyone, especially those who want to relax in a homey place between site seeing or business."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of October 2005

really tried to like the hotel but....

"the price of $95 was a good deal and the room was decent - double beds, AC, cable tv, and fairly spacious. we were there for 4 nights and we really tried to like the hotel but i found the front desk staff unresponsive and not very helpful. and as a previous reviewer said "frosty."

the best part about the hotel was the restaurant - great food, breakfast comes with the price. the pool is really small. the location is in a small street and the minute you leave the hotel, there are very aggressive taxi drivers waiting outside. one guy chased us down the even. the "approved" taxi driver from the hotel one day tried to overcharge us double. so be very cautious when you deal with the taxi drivers. there are also people outside trying to sell you stuff, offer to walk you to a restaurant for "protection," and ask you for money - no one that was threatening but just frustrating when you are just trying to walk down the street.

for a little bit more, i would spend the extra money and stay at the Hilton next door."

• Travel date: Wed 19th of January 2005

Altamont Court Hotel a good place to lay your head

"I have just returned from a one-week stay at the Altamont Court Hotel. First, compared to other hotels in a higher price bracket, the Altamont is very good value. Most of the staff (waiting staff and cleaning staff) are great, although the front desk staff seemed a tad frosty to me. The buffet breakfast is very good considering it is included in the room rate. Having said that, the standard of accommodation (specifically standard of furnishings, cleaning, quality of sheets/pillows and pool cleanliness) all leave something to be desired, but this is probably reflected in the very reasonable room rate. Personally, I like clean and basic, no frills accommodation - I'm not that fussy. But this seems to be a common fault among Jamaican hotels and is not confined to the Altamont Court, and I say this having stayed on the North Coast and in the Kingston Hilton. And if you need a taxi, ask for Mr Daley and agree the price first."

• Travel date: Mon 8th of November 2004

Wonderful Stay

Good

"I had a wonderful and peaceful stay here. The room we originally received was not acceptable since we had a new born with us. We needed a fridge and microwave for the baby's needs. We were upgraded to a 2 level loft which was very nice with a balcony. The staff was always very helpful and friendly. The complimentary breakfast was way more food than expected and was very tasty and filling. If I'm staying in Kingston again I will stay here."

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of November 2004

Courtesy was a part of the rate

Good

"With each visit that I make to Kingston, Jamaica, Altamont Court Hotel has always been a courteous stop for me and my family. Yes the food may take a while to be prepared but that is because you are guaranteed a fresh, tastey meal. The front desk staff has always been pleasant and helpful and it is one hotel that I would recommend anyone to stay at while they are enjoying the beautiful island of Jamaica. The location is convenient to everything from night clubs to restaurants."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of October 2004

Hotels near Altamont Court Hotel Kingston

Stayed at Altamont Court Hotel Kingston? Share your insight.

Altamont Court Hotel Kingston is also called