Good

Last summer i went to grenda and i thoug...

Reviewed Tue 22nd of April 2008

"Last summer i went to grenda and i thought the hotel was top class nice food good weather good stuuf to do for my kids football swimming etc and it was the best place ive been to all my life "

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of April 2008

What can I say by far the best holiday I...

Reviewed Fri 2nd of June 2006

"What can I say by far the best holiday I've ever been on!

We stayed in a Sea Grape Beach Suite, the bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in and the suite was kept wonderfully clean - bed linen changed daily and towels twice per day. Room service whatever time of day, within 20 minutes and the afternoon tea with freshly made scones and cakes is delicious and even better when eaten on our terrace overlooking Grand Anse Beach.

The gardens and public areas are also spotlessly clean and tidy.

Brian the General Manager and his staff are wonderful and cannot do enough for you - they appear to know all the guests by name - at the bar Jones, Devon, Marvin and Dexter are efficient and fun and the restaurant staff likewise especially Shirley Anne (always smiling) and Martha - there are too many staff to mention individually but the service with a smile, exceeds any we have ever had on holiday previously.

We met many other guests who were on repeat visits and everyone seemed to agree that this hotel is one of the best and I am sure that we will return again in fact I did not want to come home. For total relaxation and luxury I cannot imagine anywhere better."

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of June 2006

Sheer elegance and luxury

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"My wife and I have recently returned from a week at the newly designed Spice Island Beach Resort. Grenada which is considered to be one of the finest resorts in the Caribbean and my wife and I would wholeheartedly agree.
We have stayed at Spice Island Beach Resort several times; the last occasion was in October 2001 just after an extensive refurbishment and prior to Hurricane Ivan. We were very impressed with the resort then. However the New Spice Island Beach Resort is far more impressive. The staffs are as good as they have always been, we think probably the best in the Caribbean. The catering is excellent if not better than before under the management of the same English head Chef Mark and as for the accommodation words cannot describe the overall quality and sheer elegance of exquisite furnishings and equipment.
Having travelled extensively throughout the Caribbean we consider the New Spice Island Beach Resort to be one of the very finest hotels in the West Indies and we are confident that anyone booking a holiday at this graceful resort will be very impressed."

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of March 2006

Spice Island Resort lived up to every expectation

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"Stayed at the Spice Island Resort at the end of February 2006 the whole experience was a complete pleasure. To be met at reception by the owner is pretty unusual in my experience and that was just the start of a wonderful vacation. We stayed in a Seagrape suite which was spacious and very well furnished and opened straight onto the Grand Anse beach surely one of the finest in The Caribbean. The bathroom included a large walk in shower, a lovely spa bath and shutters which could be opened to give a view of the sea while sitting in the bath (now that is what I call luxury) my partner also appreciated the Molton Brown lotions and potions supplied. Room service and the housekeeping department of the hotel was very courteous and efficient (everything re-stocked twice a day) the restaurant and bar areas were very tastefully presented and the service was super throughout. The food was of a consistently high standard and the evening entertainment low key and pleasant. If like my partner and I you are looking for a relaxing, no hassle holiday with first class sevice in beautiful surroundings then look no further than the The Spice Island Resort."

• Travel date: Thu 9th of March 2006

Up and running - as good as ever

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"Spice Island Beach Resort is up and running - even better than before the hurricane. The re-building is complete and the re-planting of the gardens is well advanced. The friendly casual luxury provided by the Hopkin family and staff is as good as ever - the food plentiful and excellent, the house-wine acceptable and the service generally very good with the occasional lapse when calls for room service denude the staff available in the dining room.
The entirely new beach-front Sea Grape suites are roomy and well furnished. The designer has got most things right - but the rooms can be noisy. The sound insulation on the inter-connecting doors is poor so that you can share the sound of your neighbour's flat screen TV and the interior louvred shutter between the bathroom and the bedroom area is a big mistake - every noise from the bathroom is clearly audible in the bedroom/sitting area.
The terraces are well equipped but now have hammocks which appear highly dangerous and are very unstable in high winds. The provision of sunshades would have been a much more practical alternative since the beach, the pool area and the terraces are all short of shade.
With these relatively minor exceptions the re-furbishment has been very successful and the overall impression of the hotel is very favourable - a remarkable achievement given the devastation suffered.
We will go again."

• Travel date: Tue 7th of March 2006

First Class Family Run Excellence

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"We stayed at the Spice Island Beach Resort for a week at the beginning of February in a whirlpool suite. The brochure does not do this place justice. The renovations that were completed in December 2005 have been carried out to an excellent standard, which is both modern and tasteful. The location is superb, being right on the beach, which although public, was extremely quiet - it was rare to have anybody within 20ft of you and beside the pool was exactly the same, even though the hotel's occupancy rate was deemed to be around 85% at the time.
No attention to service or detail is spared. The hotel only caters for around 66 rooms yet there are over 100 staff who are all extremely courteous, friendly and efficient.
We took the all inclusive package and the food was absolutely first class. House wines were good and flowed freely with premium liquor available within the all inclusive option.
The separate spa facility is again very tastefully furnished with a reasonably well equipped gym.
Our only minor criticism would be that the hotel now allows young children which, from our point of view, is a minor downside so it leaves peace and quiet down to a certain amount of luck!
Overall though, we highly recommend Spice Island and would plan to re-visit."

• Travel date: Fri 10th of February 2006

Spice is Back After the Hurricane

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"Just came back from 9 nights at the "new" Spice Island Beach Resort which has just re-opened after Hurricane Ivan in Fall, 2005. With just a few caveats, the hotel was terrific. The staff was competent as well as gracious. The beach and the ocean couldn't be beat. The decor in the rooms and public ares was very stylish yet comfortable. The food was sophisticated, varied, plentiful and quite good. The service was very personal and the management, including the members of the Hopkin family (the owners), had a very "hands on" approach. All in all, an excellent place for a good rest by a most beautiful stretch of ocean; once the vegetation grows back in (and there was considerable planting going on when we were there), the hotel itself will look more tropical. The therapists at the spa didn't seem up to the standard the hotel is trying to set, there were no beach umbrellas, and the peddlers on the beach were a minor annoyance. These are small criticisms when balanced against the entire experience which was overwhelmingly positive."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of January 2006

amazing

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"me and my family went to spice island in september 2004 while we were there we were hit by hurricane ivan it completely ruined the hotel and most of the island it was just devastating to see. The staff were amazing a lot of them did not know if there own family were safe but they stayed and looked after us throughout.

The hotel manager was not able to be at the hotel as he was on holiday but his brother who owned the sister hotel next door arranged us a flight to barbados the chef even came on the last day we were there and cooked us breakfast although we didnt have a table to sit at it was the best meal i ever had.

The hotel manager has even been kind enough to give the everyone that was in the hotel a free weeks holiday when the hotel is up and running. Although the hurricane ruined our holiday i can't believe how well the staff done to look after us i can't wait to go back and thank them all.

I hope if you read this you realise what a great place this is and decide to go there even the cleaner came in to clean up the toilets as i said its amazing."

• Travel date: Fri 7th of January 2005

Pure Indulgence

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"Wow!!!! Spice Island Beach Resort is sheer bliss. The food is out of this world, The staff very friendly and courteous and the location perfect.

The daily cheese cake on the lunch menu is to die for!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 4th of September 2004

Quality throughout!!

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"We have just returned from a 2 week vacation at the Spice Island beach resort. The staff were all very pleasent and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. Big thanks to Arthur and Francis in the Bar for all the great cocktails he made for us and not forgetting Karine who made such great Amarello Coffees every eveing after dinner!! The food was out of this world, we have never eaten so much food, evening meals are all of 5 courses so make sure you are hungry!!
The beach is beautiful with plenty of snorkelling and the sea ia warm and clear. Beach vendors can be a pain but a friendly smile and a no thanks is enough to send them on their way. Only one small problem is the dam mosquitos..... make sure you take plenty of repellent!! If you get the chance book the ''Hooker'' 38 foot Sea Ray boat for a cruise around the island well worth it. The boat is owned by the resort. A big thanks to all at the resort and we hope to return one day soon !!"

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of September 2004

Paradise!

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"We spent our honeymoon at the Spice Island Beach Resort from Aug. 22 - Aug 31. Everything at this resort was fantastic. The beach at Grande Anse is the most beautifull beach that I have experienced. The staff was friendly, courteous, and charming. We stayed in a luxury pool suite and the room was very nice. They upgraded us for our honeymoon as originally we had a normal pool suite. Every meal was exceptional. The dinner is a 5 course, lunch is a 3 course, and breakfest is from an extensive menu. My only complaint was having to return to the real world. We highly recommend this resort. Thank you Spice Island Beach Resort!"

• Travel date: Wed 1st of September 2004

Highly Recommended

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"In October 2003 my partner and I decided we wanted to get married in the Caribbean and spent a long time trawling through brochures checking against this site for an ideal location - you couldn't find better than 'Spice Island'. From the moment we arrived to when we left we felt pampered and stress free. The hotel was amazing with large comfortable suites. In the restaurant, the food was of a very high standard with a great selection (even for a vegetarian and fussy eater like myself) and the service was excellent throughout.
We got married half way through our holiday on the beach and all stresses were taken out of our hands with it being arranged with a planner. This was definately somewhere we want to return to."

• Travel date: Wed 4th of August 2004