Good

LaSource ruined our last day of our Vacation

Reviewed Wed 29th of June 2011

"I can understand having a dress code for dinner, but we had no idea that there was one until we got there. Even in their own rule book in each room, it says nothing about closed toe shoes. It only said it in the flyer that they leave in your room every day.

Luckily my Brother-in-law and I had one pair of dress pants each. We were both upset that we didn’t have more than one, but we dealt with it. Then we were also told that we had to have closed toed shoes. I luckily had one pair, but he did not. The person at the front desk stated that if that’s all he has, then there is nothing we can do. Many of the other workers said the same thing.

At night time, there are two bars and two restaurants. At the bar in the middle of the resort is a sit down area where there is some entertainment and a bar. You aren’t even allowed in there without pants and closed shoes. You can go to the beach or your room at night THAT’S IT!!! There is nothing else to do unless you dress up. I don’t see that as a relaxing vacation. Its 85+ degrees there at night, and pants aren’t my top choice. All week we sweated as I ate dinner, because they have no air conditioning for the dining room.

On our last night, we decided to go to the piano bar before we ate dinner, and a worker stopped my brother-in-law, and said “you can’t eat here with those shoes”. He told the worker “I have eaten here all week with these shoes, and it hasn’t been a problem”, the worker then said “we will see about tonight”. Then after being at the piano bar for about an hour having a couple of their way to strong crappy drinks, we walked over for dinner. He was stopped by the Manager on duty, and was told he couldn’t eat there, that we have to eat in our room. We all left pretty mad, and even the staff was disappointed that we were being treated like this. Now, keep in mind, it wasn’t like he had on flip flops, it was leather sandals with the criss-cross pattern which actually does cover some of the toes, which I think look ok for a beach resort.

They advertise all their restaurants, but they aren’t all open at once. There was only a buffet open for breakfast every day, and Wed night for dinner and Friday for lunch. Half the time we were there, they would close one of the two restaurants for dinner and only one of the bars was open for most of the time? The Jacuzzi never worked the 7 nights we were there, the pool wasn’t being filtered for 4 of the days were there, and the drinks were terrible. I’ve never had a pink long island tea until last week.

Stay clear of this place. I went home mad, and that’s not a good ending to a vacation.

• Travel date: Mon 27th of June 2011

Alittle rough around the edges but alas, paradise awaits

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"I stayed at LaSource in January 2004, and to tell you the truth, could not have been more pleased. The staff went out of thier way to ensure that we were comfortable. My companion and I had our luggage left off the plane in NY and the hotel staff was very much on top of our concerns and made sure to get our bags to us as soon as the plane landed the next morning. They even saved us the cab fare it would have cost to go to the airport ourselves and attempt to find it. It was brought to us, in our rooms, with a smile.

The rooms was impeccably clean. Nice marble floors throughout, comforatble King size mahogany bed, working A/C, safe, closet, small balcony, and cleaned daily.

The food was outstanding. There was always a different array of dishes for all tastes. While I agree with the reviews complaining about flies and no closed room dining... you are in the caribbean. I must say though that on our stay we were quite impressed with the cleanliness of the propery's food operations. While dining one evening we witnessed a waiter checking the temperature of the foods to prevent spoilage and sickness.

The pool area was adequate, as was the beach. We learned that a large storm took out a mjority of the beach some years ago. However it was still pleasant. Beaches are not private in Grenada and as such you will have to deal with some vendors. We found them to be most gracious and non intrusive. A simple no thank you sends them on thier way. Beach bar service was ok, on average about once every hour or so. But they did offer more then just lemonade as some reviews stated.

The spa area is indeed one downfall of the resort. Which is unfortunate as they market themselves as a spa resort. The facilities and treatments are standard at best, and the employees are often complaining about how management treats them. Do not go there expecting a spa... go there for the atmosphere and the island itself!

The people and the culture were amazing and I would definately return. I would recommend LaSource, and I would return there... or even to another hotel on the island as well.

P.S. If you go.... make sure to take a prvate guided tour of the island. You will not regret it. And if possible request that "Mack" take you. The tour operator in the hotel lobby area will surely know who he is and he will not disappoint you. A wonderful man who is proud of his country. Be sure to tell him Kimberly and Mark from NY say hello!"

• Travel date: Mon 19th of July 2004

I discovered Grenada's hidden secret!!!

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"I was very impressed with the quality of service and the combined package that La Source had to offer. I am returning to Grenada this summer but, reget that I would not be able to stay there again because of the ages of my children. After talking about my stay several of my friends has and will continue to enjoy the ultimate vacation getaway."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of July 2004

Average - Not worth the cost

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"The first night was fine -- we were really excited to spend a quiet relaxing week away from work, we had a nice late dinner in the outdoor restaurant and were looking forward to spending our time on the beach.

With the arrival of morning came the disappearance of all available umbrellas on the beach. The staff does a poor job of actually finding umbrellas for guests who wish to use them. Each time we tried removing the towels which were "reserving" the umbrellas, we were greeted with shouts from balconies telling us they were taken. Would have also been nice if the resort could keep away the beach dwellers making you feel guilty for not buying trinkets every 30 minutes.

The lack of indoor eating gets a bit old as well...I would have enjoyed a meal in a cooled room without flies. As another user mentioned, the fruit was unripe and bitter -- I've eaten better pineapples in my local grocery store's canned fruits section. The food was average at best..certainly not worth the 40-50 dollars they figure into the per night cost.

I did enjoy the snorkeling and tennis, but was disappointed when our windsurfing instructor simply disappeared 10 minutes after the start of the lesson...luckily for me there was a nice French couple who took the time to teach me a little. Basically, don't expect to actually have a chance to participate in all the activities..and if you want the chance to go on a test scuba dive as they offer, make sure you have time on the 1 day per week its offered.

All in all, it was ok, but I was supremely disappointed between what I paid and expected versus the overall service. There are plenty of other tropical places in the world, and I would visit all of those twice before venturing back here."

• Travel date: Tue 6th of July 2004

Okay at first, then downhill fast!

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"You have to bat away flies during breakfast and lunch, as all dining is outdoors. Spa service is sub-standard, as you don't get the silence and tranquility you seek--you get the constant talking and complaints from spa staff that they're being mistreated by resort management--probably true, but not exactly relaxing.

The worst part... we asked for an airport transfer leaving at 4:30 AM for a 5:30 AM flight. The hotel staff lied and told us the airport didn't open until 4:45 AM. Then, the morning we left, they forgot to order the taxi, getting us to the airport at 5:20 AM, which was even worse because the airport actually opened at 4:15 AM, our flight was cancelled, and they take standby guests "first come, first serve."

We had no choice but to return to the hotel--at this point, my fiance and I had the stomach flu. We found a frog and crab in the substandard room, and the window didn't shut, meaning we fought flies and mosquitos all night. We called the front desk 5 times--only after a final irate call did someone look at the window, declare it broken, and told us to wait until tomorrow.

We finally asked the same manager to make sure we had an airport transfer that left on time. The next morning, another late airport transfer--which the same manager forgot to call in--cost us the only flight to leave the island. We finally made it off the island, only after paying our way through the airport.

Beware: the laid-back "Carribean" attitude means they don't care about service or your time."

• Travel date: Sun 4th of July 2004

La Source, Grenada, is a fabulous, relax...

Reviewed Wed 30th of June 2004

"La Source, Grenada, is a fabulous, relaxing resort for everyone.

My husband and I enjoyed two weeks of pure bliss and I was already researching dates/flights/etc for my next visit when we heard of the devastation brought about by Hurricane Ivan in September. As a result, the country will be closed until at least May 2005 to tourists, but will hopefully be up and running for summer next year.

If you would like just a few words of advice, let me keep it brief… ‘ IF YOU CAN, GO!!’

Due to carrier delays from London Gatwick, we arrived in darkness, but were picked up in a lovely air-conditioned limo for the short transfer to the hotel. Yes, the hotel is very close to the airport, however, during the entire two weeks, I only heard (say) 6 flights arriving/taking off; we are not talking London here! There are only a few days every week when a big plane lands here.

(NB we were flying Excel Airways – Excel One, and although the plane we should have been travelling in was stuck in Tobago, we actually lucked out and got onto a Jumbo Boeing 747 instead. Flight was VERY enjoyable and luxurious. Incidentally, Excel Airways seem to be the only carrier from UK that flies direct to Grenada.)

The ease of transfer to resort was wonderfully quick and painless and we arrived at reception to a cool cocktail to sip whilst we checked in. Our bags were taken up to our room, and we were very happy with the accommodation. Our room had a lovely four-poster bed with fan above the bed, excellent air-conditioning and a lovely roomy bathroom with hair-dryer, magnifying mirror and bathrobes suitable for the complimentary spa treatments.

As we arrived in darkness, we could only guess what was outside our window & balcony. In the distance, we could see the beautiful lights of St George across the bay, but it was the sound of the waves crashing against the shore that we loved. As soon as we woke the next day we rushed to the window/balcony and saw that the beautiful golden beach and gorgeous Caribbean Sea was a mere stone’s throw from our room. Absolutely perfect!

Guests can be as active or inactive as the mood takes. The all year round high temperatures make the more energetic sports a little prohibitive for us used to Britain’s cold climate, but nonetheless we had a go at Tennis, Golf & Archery, taking lessons in all from lovely happy and helpful staff. Closer to the beach, all the water sports staff worked hard providing us in lessons and/or support in Windsurfing, Sailing and Water-skiing amongst other activities. I was absolutely useless at the water skiing, but other guests seemed to be natural at it!

I attempted to master the Windsurfing, and by the end could sail right out almost out of sight, however I’m not yet able to turn the thing round and sail back, so every excursion out on the windsurfer lead to the water sports staff (many thanks, Oscar!) Sending the motorboat out to collect me and the windsurf board. Even though by the second week they knew I was only going one way, the staff were unfailingly happy to rig up a windsurf just for me, and were equally happy to pick me up when I started drifting over to South America!

The employees at this resort were the best I have ever come across. Everyone we spoke to said the same, and all were planning on returning to this resort again, even those who would not normally consider returning to the same holiday destination twice. One couple were there for their 16th visit!

The guests were mostly British/American/Canadian, the majority British whilst we were there. Without exception, everyone was great. People said Hello and Good Morning, etc as we passed and the whole atmosphere was very relaxed, happy, informal and friendly.

Yes, if you want to find faults, you can, but why would you?! You’re on holiday, so just CHILL, man!! There were mosquitoes about (it was the wet season) and yup, my husband and I both got bitten, but don’t let it ruin your holiday or put you off coming here. The rooms are as air-conditioned as you want (in fact the maids always left ours on even if we hadn’t bothered) and the hotel twice-weekly sprays stuff to reduce the annoyance. It’s not a major problem at the resort, but bring repellent for trips into the jungle!

The place is paradise on Earth, and if you want to complain, please don’t come here!!

My biggest regret of the whole holiday (other than perhaps having booked a longer holiday!) Was not taking the complimentary scuba dive sooner. I waited until the last possible slot to do the ‘try dive’ and then had to squeeze in another four dives and tests to get my PADI Open Water certificate before I left. The diving staff were, in my inexperienced opinion, absolutely brilliant.

I was very happy with the safety procedures and training. Qualified divers may book one complimentary dive per day and all equipment is supplied. If you wish to ask me any questions, please don’t hesitate to email me on [email protected] and if possible I will be pleased to answer any queries you may have about the resort, flights from UK or the scuba diving arrangements there.

Go. It’s fabulous!"

• Travel date: Wed 30th of June 2004

What a great experience!

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"We've just got back from a 2 week stay at La Source. The Hotel had been recommended to us by friends and this was further endorsed by the number of 'repeater' guests that we met at the resort, I would say that at least 30% of those we met had been there before.

The resort is rught next door to the airport, but this does not cause any noise issues as it over a hill that masks any noise of aircaraft, even so, there are only 1 or 2 large aircraft per day use the airport. On arrival we were met by the cortesy limousine and straight to the resort within 5 minutes to be met by rum punches and an introdiction to the complex.

We paid for an upgrade to a seaview room, which was exactly what it said, but beware that you do have to climb a fair amount of steps to get to these rooms. The room itself was pleasant, but again be aware that La Source does not have nay televisons on the complex and none in your room - we were at first phased by this, but soon learnt that you do not have time to watch one anyway.

The food at both the buffet and the a La Carte is Exellent, the latter beinf served in beatiful surroundings by friendly staffand all to silver service standards. The food iteslf is superb and a wide choice is on offer. There is a ckoice of 5 whate and 5 red wines included in the All inclusive and a good choice of premium wines should they not meet your taste (at a charge of about 21 US dollars).

The activities are very comprehensive and varied from the traditoinal sports to the lesser so, such as Tai Chie, meditation and stress release. The instructors are all very pleasant and knpw their own areas of expertise very well/

You can have a spa treatment such as a swedish massage, facial, seaweed wrap. etc every day. There are 17 or so rooms each staffed indivudually and there are no availabilty issues. I would , howver advise that you try a few different menber of staff out early on and then once you find a good one request them for the ramainder of your treatments, their levles of expertise and enthusiasm does vary.

Watersports such as Water Skiing, sailing, windsurfing and diving are included and again availabilty is good, but do book as ssom as you get to the resort for any tuition lessons and the dives as they do get quickly booked up.

The gym is Ok and the gym instructor, Dexter, is a star, so helpful anf friendly and he will give you a personalised workout routine.

Although the hotle say tipping is not allowed, we did find that once you tip one of the waitresses in the main restaurant they will look after you, reserve a good table and generally make you feel special. We only tipped 3 US dollars per night to the waitress and the same to the wine waitor and this provided us with just that something extra.

Overall, and excellent holiday that we would recommend. We will certainly ne going back in the future."

• Travel date: Mon 31st of May 2004

The brochure promised everything - and i...

Reviewed Fri 30th of April 2004

"The brochure promised everything - and in many areas the resort came up trumps. But it also had its problems.

I had gone their to get married and took 6 guests with us.

Accommodation was good - but my goodness you need to be 7 foot tall to climb on the bed or get in the bath.

In fact - I hurt myself on a number of occasions when I slipped climbing in to have a shower. Also - beware the hill!! If you are not fit then the steep climb up to many of the rooms is a killer - put it this way - you only went back to your room if you needed to!

My abiding memory of 2 weeks away will be my mother-in-laws constant reminiscing of 'oh that hill'.....even now one year later.

La Source is a place where you can try lots of sports - you name it they do it - and its free - even the diving which I loved. But you don't need to be Linford Christie - I spent most of my time lounging on the beach and eating. The food really is fantastic - can't be beaten. And lots of variey - expect to put lots of weight on - unless like my sister you go mad on the sports.....

My wedding was well organised - the only hitch being the fact that I was sent 3 weeks later someone else's wedding certificate - where did mine go? I am assured by the resort they did not lose the certificate - but I ended up with 3 copies from the registry office and I still was not conviced I had my original...You also need to remember - there is no urgency whatsoever in Grenada - if the resort staff say it will be done tomorrow - it could just as well be next week!!

Grenada itself is one of the poorer Caribbean islands - indeed do not expect lots of pretty litttle shops and tree lined clean streets. The market on a saturady is dirty and smelly - dogs wander around looking thin and tired and children wash at the side of the road.... It's not St Lucia - far more behind the times. But the culture is fascinating - see the rum distilleries and spice plantations - absolutely wonderful. The people too are great - didn't feel uncomfortable once - get a good taxi driver and see the whole Island with a personal guide - they can take you off the beaten track to stunning little bays and coves. I enjoyed Grenada - but would not chose to go back. I feel there is plenty to see for a holiday - but I would certainly want to visit others island going forward."

• Travel date: Fri 30th of April 2004

great 50th birthday

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"I spent only one week in La Source to celebrate my 50th birthday this March (2004) with my husband On arrival i was very pleased with the reception we received and check in was a quick affair. We had travelled with Excell Airways which to my surprise was very good for a charter and direct both ways Our room was great with a little bit of a sea view but the climb to the room each time nigh on killed me as its all uphill with the added feature of lots of stairs, but worth the effort, it was imaculate and very roomy and pleasing on the eye with muted colours.
The food was outstandingand the staff were very cheerful and the effort made on my actual birthday was fantastic. I had flowers and champaign delivered to my room and a table was reserved for me showered with petals and again more champagne and even a cake - how lovely my only complaint if any was the pool and treatment rooms were looking a little tired as this resort is now 10 years old. This hotel is an exceptional hotel for singles as every effort is made for them to be with like minded singles or they can choose to be aloane we did not take advantage of all the classes on offer although we did look each morning at the activities board but the trip to the room burnt off enough calories for me !! all i can say is if you have booked already - go and enjoy- if not - get it booked !!!!"

• Travel date: Thu 8th of April 2004

LaSource is unfortunately quite average

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"I had been to Grenada about 25 years ago so knew what to expect from the island. A lovely island, indeed then, and it hasn't changed much.
As for LaSource itself, I booked the trip on the internet, never knew anyone who had been there, so based my decision on their websight and these very reviews. We chose this vacation to relax and not be active so I can not comment much on the various activities available. Upon arrival we were upgraded from an oceanview to an oceanfront room for some unknown reason. This was an unexpected pleasure and I would think had this not happened the room's view may had been very disappointing.
We were on the third floor so the ceilings must have been thirty feet high and the view was gorgeous and included a small deck (large enough for two chairs). The grounds are attractive enough. The room was quite beautiful, adequate, and very clean. The beach is nice but not what I would call beautiful. The beach chairs, cushions and umbrellas were cheap and worn. Occasionally lemonade was offered on the beach, but very rarely was there a waiter to fetch cocktails. The food was nothing more than average. Frankly, at these prices I expected more. The choices were not creative and I was very bored with the food by the third day. The wine offered was obviously nothing more than "house wine" but there is a wine list that includes wines for a hefty extra charge (ditto for the food menu). The dining areas are nice, especailly the area for dinner. The service was often adequate, but on more than several occasions I did not receive cocktail orders. The spa treatments were deceiving based on the hotel's websight. It led me to beleive I would be able to have a 50 minute aroma therapy massage every day if I chose. What we found was that this massage was available only at an extra charge and we also discovered that we had to choose a different spa treatment each day. When I complained that I wasn't interested in facials and seaweed wraps (alas, I am a male) I was given a little room to repeat two treatments of my choice. Most of the spa staff seemed indifferent and the various 20-30 minute treatments refelected this.
Enough said, I would definately not recommend this hotel and needless to say would not return."

• Travel date: Sun 29th of February 2004

Lovely Island, slightly above average resort

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"Returned from La Source on January 18,2004. The grounds and setting for the resort are very beautiful indeed. The food is above average for an all inclusive , but by no means gourmet. The ladies that do the spa treatments seem overworked and a little bored with the whole deal. They almost seem annoyed with your presence at times. Most of the staff (bodyguards) are very friendly and eager to ensure that you have the best of times..Our room was very attractive, although the bathrooms are a tad tired looking.. The location of the room was at the very top of a very steep hill, so elderly people beware..(not the resort for people who have difficulty walking) We asked to be swithched to a lower room because I am 6 months pregnant and our request was denied..A little unaccomodating..The resort and the staff generally speaking were great and I would reccomend this place, although I will not return myself..Grenada is a stunning island and the people very warm, honest and kind...i am sure you will not be disappointed with the whole "body holiday" experience.."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of February 2004

Where's the fresh fruit?

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"Was great during our first vist a few years ago. Now it's just a pretty good resort. The staff is quite friendly. The food is adequate though they seem to stress quantity over quality. A bit cruise-shippy. They served very little local fruit and those that they did serve seem to be not as good as that which we expereinced on our earlier visit and sampled at other local restaurants during this trip. No fresh-squeezed juice which we could not understand as we were there at the height of the orange and grapefruit season. I guess they don't to understand how essential that is to the overall experience."

• Travel date: Fri 30th of January 2004