Radisson Grenada Beach Resort

Good

Travelled with 2 year old and 2 month ol...

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2007

"Travelled with 2 year old and 2 month old. Was secretly expecting to be disappointed with this hotel because it just looked a bit too big, a bit too 'swim up bar with fruity tropical cocktail'. In a way it has that aspect to it but I have to say that it's got a whole lot more too - I fell in love with the place.

The first thing to say is that the staff were absolutely fantastic, they could not have been nicer to my children. Particularly the 2 year old who ran about endlessly and could have been considered a pain but was treated like royalty - he had a ball (Thank you Dorcia, Mary, Sheree & Nigel in particular).

UPSIDES: Rooms large, comfortable and very clean.

Staff lovely (and I mean from the security guards to the cleaners to the restaurant and reception staff).

Beach right in front of the hotel is lovely (it sits on the widest/cleanest stretch of Anse beach).

The pool. They have 2 but the one with the waterfalls, bridges and jacuzzis is really something else.

Not half bad rum punch. Very good breakfast.

The barbecue night (Fridays I think) at the restaurant was really delicious although it's not cheap - mind you convert it to sterling and it's not expensive either.

There's a supermarket right across the road also Rick's cafe which has great ice cream (try the nutmeg, it's first class).

I never saw the KFC, thank God.

The airport is about 3 miles away so on your last day you can check in at the airport as soon as the desk opens then return to the beach until just before your flight leaves.

Bus stop right outside the hotel with the combi vans taking you into St Georges - quite an experience but everyone is very nice and helpful.

Car hire place inside the hotel has decent rates and the cars/jeeps are fine.

Walk along the beach to other places for dinner if you want.

They will arrange babysitting.

DOWNSIDE: The lunch menu at the poolside bar is limited and not very imaginative. Daily sandwich specials were sometimes great though.

The cots are not in great state so if/when I go again I'd take travel cots of our own.

As of November 2007 they were undertaking works on the hotel so some areas were not in use (the main bar, one or two of the patios) but it didn't affect us at all and I think things were starting to get finished as we were there so it's unlikely to be an issue beyond 2007.

Erm...that's about it.

I really did love Grenada. "

• Travel date: Tue 4th of December 2007

This was one of the friendliest hotel on...

Reviewed Mon 19th of June 2006

"This was one of the friendliest hotel on the island that we stayed at. The rooms were clean and no dust bunnies anywhere. The hotel is spread out amongst lush gardens, that the children could run and kick a ball quite happily, not disturbing other guests.

The garden rooms are only a stones throw from the wonderful white sands of Grand Anse Beach, with sports galore. The pool is a real focal point and it is a splendid 240 meters of meandering waters with waterfalls at both ends and a Jacuzzi at the other, not forgetting the swim up bar and restaurant. It is sloped gradually like going into the sea and is very safe and not slippery. It is also so large, you can lose yourself in a corner somewhere and not disturb the other guests.

The rooms all have TV's and I became a little bit addicted to the American shows, not enjoying the jump in adverts without any warnings. The hotel staff are very accommodating and we were given a fridge at no extra cost.

The hotel is situated close to supermarkets and a KFC, which the children loved. At least my husband and I were able to be romantic and have meals alone on an evening in the hotel.

I would not hesitate to venture back to this hotel as it was a relaxing experience and the management were very friendly especially when you are traveling with five children. I must also add that the breakfast was so filling it kept us all going to well into the afternoon."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of June 2006

Vacation from hell

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"What a nightmare. I arrived at the Grenada Grand Resort on August 2, 2005. I was warned by local residents in Grenada how horrible management and staff are at the resort. In all fairness, I wanted to give the resort a chance. However, from the minute I arrived at the front desk, problems began. The reception I received from the front desk was extremely unpleasant and very very cold. I must add that these were the most unhappiest set of human beings that I have ever come across. They have a very stink attitude. They were extremely rude to me, almost like they knew me and I had done them wrong. They did everything to make my vacation a living hell. If it wasn't for the beautiful weather and the Grand Anse beach, this vacation would have been a complete disaster. This resort spends a lot of time concerning themselves with maintaining the grounds, when they should be concerning themselves with guest service and accommodating their guests to ensure they have a pleasant stay. This resort is supposed to be a 4-star, however it is our version of a cheap motel. The room was filthy, the toilet was disgusting as if never cleaned. The management did't care about customer satisfaction. All they were concerned with was getting all your money from the time you check in and you were on your own. Here are some of the problems: Beach towels were never available and I always had to go to the front desk and ask. The towels were filthy with stains. They overcharged for local business calls and would rudely cut the line when I was in the middle of talking to someone, claiming that I must leave a deposit which was never explained to me upon checking in. When I spoke to one of the managers, he said that this was terrible what the girl at the front desk did and she should have told me at the time of check in. The manager said he was going to look into it, but nothing was done. Nothing was right at this resort. Everything was terrible. I can go on and on explaining what I had experienced at that place they call a resort, but I do not wish to recap this horrible nightmare which I had been through.

I have never seen anything like this before where the attitude of management and staff are so unpleasant and so miserable. At one point I thought it was a conspiracy and they were out to make my life miserable. I realize I was right with what I was thinking when it was confirmed by other guests that they felt the same way. I am a person who can adapt to many situations, however this one was too much to bear and I felt that I must comment on this nightmare experience. My advice to people, please, please remember the name "Grenada Grand Beach Resort" and stay away from this place. It's a nightmare resort."

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of August 2005

very nice hotel

Reviewed Fri 19th of October 2012

"lovely hotel beautiful swimming pools, good food, we had a room that was right on grand anse. it was a lovely hotel and dont be scared to go after the hurricaine they have cleared up extreamly well it still looks as beautiful as it ever did. I recommened this hotel it was a lovely holiday."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of May 2005

Great place to stay

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"I stayed at the Granada Grand Beach Resort in 2001 and it was great. John (can't remember his last name) our waiter there was the best...We think of him often and wonder how he's doing."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of February 2005

Think we can clear up some confusion

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2012

"We were quite unsure of what to expect after reading the conflicting reviews of Grenada Grand. Thankfully, we took the advice of a previous writer (we're grateful to the person who suggested actual room numbers) and called and requested a general room location. We were in room 404 which overlooked the gardens and the fantasy pool and we could see a bit of the ocean. Since, it was our 7th island trip, but first to Grenada, we had many places to which we could compare our accomodations. It was a pretty view, although you can't see very much of the pool for all the vegetation. There were many other room locations that would have been extremely disappointing. (We would suggest for garden view, ground floor rooms 303-318 or upper floor rooms 403-418. For beachfront rooms, we suggest ground floor rooms 103-105, 107-112 or upper floor rooms 202-212. The grand beachfront rooms are located in a 4 story building with ground floor being in the 500's. We would not recommend these rooms. Regular beachfront rooms are better located.) Our room was clean and nice, but not fancy. The hotel is not new, but they had redone our room. The lighting was poor because the lamp shades needed replacing and there was no in-room coffeemaker, but the draperies, bedding, and furniture were very nice. Since we understand "island time," we were prepared for slower service, but even though our air conditioner went out 3 times, we got good responses to our calls each time. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful and housekeeping responded promptly to our requests. We were not on any meal plan, so we can't comment on the food and chose not to sample it, since most Trip Advisor comments had not been encouraging. We found many outstanding restaurants within a 5 to 7 minute drive, (we rented a car at $60 US per day and driving was relatively easy despite having to drive on the "British" side, but taxis are always available) so we enjoyed good meals in open air restaurants every night. Our choices included Beachside Terrace, True Blue Bay, De Soleil, Pirates Cove, with a price range of $60 - $75 US, including 8% tax, 10% service fee, and additional tip. Our dinners usually consisted of a mixed drink for one of us, one appetizer that we shared and two entrees. We ate 2 lunches at Aquarium Beach, which has both a nice ambience and good food. We visited several other resorts and saw nothing in our price range that we thought we would have liked as well as Grenada Grand. If you are hoping for night life, you will be disappointed because it is very quiet there. If you want quiet strolls on the beach or around the resort, you'll like the evenings there. We also spent a night at the Rex Grenadian due to flight problems. Although the room was nice and we had a good view of the ocean, that resort had many steps and was very spread out. It also seemed crowded because the pool was so small. It did have nice relaxing music in the lounge the night we were there. As for Grenada itself, our only real disappointment was the snorkeling. We took a trip out to Molinere Point and both found ourselves stalking pretty fish when we could find them, hoping to come upon more. In Grenada's defense, we've snorkled in the Caymans, Bonaire and St. Lucia, so if it had been our first snorkeling experience, I think we'd have been more impressed. To purchase souvenirs of nicely packaged spices and miniature bottles of rum, etc. made in Grenada, visit the Arawak Islands shop. As far as attractions, we enjoyed an interesting, casual tour (and we generally don't enjoy tours) of Bay Gardens by its curator, Albert St. Bernard. Enjoy!"

• Travel date: Sun 18th of July 2004

Loved the Grand Beach

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"Stayed 3 nights at Grand Beach and had a very pleasant time. Grand Anse and surroundings were superb, pool first class, location excellent. Did not care too much about the food, it was over priced at the hotel but there is ample restaurants and local food bars a bus ride away. In any case you go to caribbean to experience the local cuisine and enjoy local pastimes, though there could be more entertainment within the hotel grounds. Front desk staff were helpful, in any case didn't need them much because everything went so smooth."

• Travel date: Sun 27th of June 2004

Glad we ignored the bad reviews

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"Had read some negative reports on this hotel but have just returned (10 June) from a wonderful stay here. The food was fantastic just too expensive, the staff throughout the hotel were so kind and helpful. The fantasy pool is the best I have ever seen, it was like a dream. We stayed in the older type beachfront rooms, they were very comfortable, a bit on the small side for a family but perfect for a couple. The views from the balcony are stunning. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel, as far as I could tell, it has one of the best locations on the island. There are good restaurants nearby so staying here AI would not represent good value, we stayed B+B and it was perfect."

• Travel date: Fri 18th of June 2004

Unsafe

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"Stay at this resort at your own risk. During our stay we had an opportunity to see the back of the house and if this resort was anywhere else in the world it would be shut down.
At this point a free stay would be an expensive risk."

• Travel date: Mon 7th of June 2004

bad service/mediocre food/unpleasant atmosphere

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"this vacation would have been a nightmare if it weren't for the great weather and the relaxing pool with waterfalls. for the amount of money we paid $180/night i expected to at the very least find pleasant service and good food. The service was miserable and the food was expensive and mediocre. The front desk staff were for the most part an unhappy group of people who appeared to despise their jobs. The hotel's second swimming pool was under construction and was a terrible eyesore. No one told us anything about the watersports available on the beach or the arts and crafts market. The pool table did not have pool sticks and one of the pockets of the pool table was broken so the balls fell directly on the floor! There was no hospitality suite for late check outs and hotel staff claimed, on several ocassions that they would do things but simply failed to do it. For example, we had to make 3 phone calls and make a visit to the front desk personally to get towels in our room. Similarly, we made 2 phone calls and a trip to the front desk to get a remote control for our tv. my advice...don't choose this hotel. in fact, try another island....jamaica, st. lucia, tobago, st. vincent, st. kitts, martinque....anywhere but here."

• Travel date: Sat 29th of May 2004

Paradise

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"2nd may 2004 My wife and I stayed here for a week,it was a lovely hotel. good size pool, 330 ft long but only 4 ft deep. large clean comfortable rooms, lovely grounds, excelent beach. take a good mosquitoe repellent they are bad at night. the food is not first class but it's ok. lunch time barbeques are first class, the meat just melts in your mouth.only thing we did not like was the birds coming into the restaurant and eating of the serving spoons or your plate if you niped out to get somethink, the staff were good but slow.good movie channels on tv if you want a early night. anymore info just e-mail me."

• Travel date: Thu 20th of May 2004

Grenada Grand Beach Resort: Well-Kept Secret

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"I had wanted to go to Grenada for a long time, but had never found anyone else who had actually been there. My travel agent seemed to think I was crazy, and I was nervous about taking my family (husband, two small children, sister-in-law and father-in-law) all that way without knowing exactly what I would find.

It ended up being our favorite island in the Caribbean, and we love the Grenada Grand Beach Resort. This hotel is doing a terrible job marketing itself, and I had to do quite a bit of research before I even could find information about it. The grounds are really lovely, the pool is beautiful, and it's on a gorgeous stretch of beach (Grand Anse). I really jiked that you could walk down the beach to several restaurants and bars (although we were warned not to walk the beach at night). The staff couldn't have been more friendly or helpful."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of December 2002