Good

A decadent place to stay!

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"My husband and recently spent 10 nights on Grenada, with the first week at a wonderful little villa in the LAE area. We spent the last three night of our vacation at LaLuna, a small boutique hotel on the beach. This place was a bit of a splurge for us, but since we were coming from a beautiful villa, I felt that most hotels on the island would feel like a letdown in comparison. I booked LaLuna directly, requesting the rate shown on a discount hotel website that was a small percentage off the rack rates, which they granted. They even upgraded us to a cottage rather than a cottage suite for our stay, which was a nice touch.

We missed our space at Turtleback Pavilion in LAE, but the cottage #3 at LaLuna was nearly as large as our studio villa interior, with a king bed in a good-sized air conditioned bedroom, with a built in bench along one wall, and furnished with a CD/tape player, TV, and VCR (office has tapes available for guests). Off the bedroom is the large closet with a small safe and then the open-air bathroom. The bathroom was accessible from either the bedroom or from outside on the deck and had a shower stall with two windows facing the sea, a large vanity with one sink, and a separate room for the loo. The bathroom was fairly standard in size, but it did come with two bathrobes, nice shampoo, shower gel, body lotion, and the softest, plushest towels I’ve ever had the pleasure of using. The deck outside was a good size and held a large daybed with lots of cushions, a single deck chair, a foam-triangle contraption that unfolded into a comfy mat with a back rest that was perfect for reading, and a small plunge pool about the size of a Jacuzzi with a built-in ledge that was well-suited for sipping cocktails and watching the sunset whilst partially submerged. The part of the deck with the daybed was covered overhead and had large curtains one could draw around for absolute privacy, and the hotel provides a large calabash for a Do Not Disturb sign to leave outdoors to ensure the privacy. It was overall a well-designed vacation space with a nice attention to detail that affords as much privacy as one can reasonably expect on hotel grounds.

The beach bar is adjacent to the pool and the open-air lounge and was tended by the wonderful Sheldon, Fiona, and Sindy while we were there. All of them were delightful and we enjoyed chatting with them while sampling the various drinks on offer. In the lounge area there were several padded chaises longues out in the sun, where most of the guests tended to stay. When we first hit the beach bar, we were puzzled why folks wouldn’t want to be using the thatched umbrellas out on the beach, so we had our pick of 5 different umbrellas, also with padded chaises longues. Thirty minutes after getting settled there and battling to keep the sand out of our mouths from the gusts of wind, we understood why. The wind wasn’t constant, but it was strong enough and frequent enough that we had to cover our drinks with one hand, mark the page in our books with the other, and keep our mouths and eyes closed when it blew through. I am told that this is unusual at LaLuna. After trying out a couple of different locations on the beach, we did give up and head back to the pool and lounge area.

The beach there was quite pretty, and though not long, good for walks up & down. Surf was up and it was very pleasant to walk along while listening to the waves crash right on the shore at our feet. There are no other hotels on the beach, but it is shared with a few private villas, and while we were there several youngsters were playing cricket. I’m not sure if these were local kids or if they were staying in the villas. There was not much shade along the beach other than the thatched umbrellas that LaLuna provides.

One of the things I liked best about the hotel was the open-air lounge, which is covered overhead but open on all four sides. Filled with comfy chairs, day beds, and sofas and furnished with lots of books, this place was perfect for taking a break from the sun or even for settling in all day. Most of the other guests only used it during the brief rain showers or after cocktail hour, but we spent several happy hours there kicking back with our books or just contemplating the horizon.

The other guests were an international mix, and we only ended up mingling with two other American couples who were there. I don’t think any other guests spoke English as a first language—there were folks speaking Spanish, French, and Italian. As a side note, my husband and I were definitely the least stylish among them. They were all young, good looking, and with the physique of models. This probably would have bothered me once upon a time, but now I’m much more comfortable with my physical imperfections (and they are legion, especially compared with these other guests!) to be very fussed about it. I suspect most guests come here seeking solitude and romance, so the exchanging of smiles and friendly buon giornos that we experienced is probably more par for the course than the vivacious bonhomie found in so many other places.

Would we return to LaLuna? Well, yes, in theory I suppose we would. After all, we would be hard-pressed to come up with any meaningful criticism of the place--we'd like to be able to able to order appetizer size portions of the pasta entrees, and they could hardly control the wind factor on the beach, and that's about the extent of our critique. We found the service to be very friendly, the accommodations excellent, the food delicious, and the atmosphere to be very romantic. And though it was more money than we prefer to spend per night, I think the pricetag is in line with the value offered, at least during low season. The catch, I think, is that now that we’ve discovered the wonders of a villa vacation, we would be hard pressed to do anything else in the future—and there’s no doubt that spending the equivalent pricetag on a villa for a week would yield a very fine place to stay, indeed,"

• Travel date: Fri 18th of August 2006

Spectacular

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"Our second visit to LaLuna and it simply gets better each time. We were met by Wendy, who owns LaLuna along with her husband Bernardo and escorted to this most unique resort. The ride can be bumpy as the island is still recovering from the hurricane. You’ll likely see properties still in ruins though this doesn't put a damper on the view of the locals, they are a proud and independent people, and very friendly. The islands itself while beautiful is somewhat like many of the other islands in the Caribbean where the people live simply.

Back to LaLuna: The rooms are unique to say the least, they are either stand alone huts or two huts attached (the stand alone are quieter). They are beautifully colorful and somewhat minimalist in the sense that this is not a marble floored luxury resort but lively painted stone floors and walls with natural wood running through the entire property. The seating areas in the bedrooms are built in sort of benches covered with lovely pillows and cushions. The canopy beds are Oh So Comfortable and the bedroom is air conditioned. The bathroom is a separate room which is open air with the shower cut out and opens to the beautiful ocean below. The villas are built up on the hillside so you may have a walk, but that only helps burn off the excess calories that you'll consume after Benedetto cooks a spectacular meal.

St. George's is 15 minute ride (you'll not need a rental) and has wonderful local shopping, though you'll likely only need to go to town once. The streets are lined with tiny stores where people sell their wears, literally that they've just made. It might first look intimidating but the people are wonderful.

Besides the wonderful staff (we love Christine) our favorite part of Laluna has to be the day-beds on the lanai of each villa. We spent many a morning laying on the day-bed listening to the day begin and even more nights snuggled together, with a lovely wine, watching the sun set.

Keep in mind that if you’re looking for a luxury hotel with marble floors and pretentious people, this aint it. If you’re looking for a wonderfully relaxing, very, very laid back and completely unique experience, LaLuna won’t let you down. We love it, and we’ll be back!"

• Travel date: Wed 19th of April 2006

Complete Honeymoon relaxation - December 1st - 8th, 2005

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"With the stress of wedding planning and finally the wedding itself, my wife and I wanted a find a place where we could just relax. Neither one of us is the type to go to a large all-inclusive resort, we're a bit more adventurous than that. We happened upon LaLuna from a web-site we had found that specializes in Luxury vacations. You can bid on packages like an auction or book a fixed price vacation if available.

La Luna is just what the doctor ordered. I am normally the kind of person who, from the moment I arrive in a new country, wants to get out and take in as much of the culture as possible. We did not even attempt to leave the resort until the 3rd day. The majority of those first couple of days was spent on the beach in complete relaxation. LaLuna is extremely conducive to just that.

In addition to the resort, the staff and the general population of Grenada were extremely warm and friendly. I have been to some Caribbean islands where I don't feel safe at times. We never once had this feeling in Grenada.

The food was delicious. The massages outstanding. Of course, who can beat a massage from your veranda looking out over the sea with the waves crashing in? Included in the package was also a couple of yoga and/or tai chi and/or meditation sessions which completed our stay nicely.

Our cottage was one of the double units, where another unit is directly adjoining. Luckily, we had the place to ourselves for most of our stay. If you go, we recommend staying in a single unit rather than the double since the walls are kind of thin with the double units. However, this was a very minor inconvenience, given that our entire stay was fabulous."

• Travel date: Sun 5th of March 2006

Relaxed Romance

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"The previous review I read on here, prompted me to write this short but adequate review...

La Luna is absolutely beautiful. It truly captures the romance of the carribean. It's a first class mini-resort with a wonderful, friendly, and helpful staff. Perhaps it is not completely up to US standards but how can it be?! This is a third world country we're talking about...a few bugs in my plunge pool, big deal.

Go to relax and spend time with that special person in your life...this is the perfect place. I am returning to Grenada next week and can't wait to eat at their restaurant and lounge by the pool."

• Travel date: Thu 26th of January 2006

Know before you go ...

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"Well what can I say ?
Silly me, I booked a January Caribbean holiday at the last minute, so of course I paid through the nose , but having looked at the stunning photos of the place on the web, my expectations were high. As I set off from home, I was more than prepared to trade cash for sunshine, style and relaxation ...

But then I arrived ....

Grenada is a beautiful island, still recovering from the hurricanes but it's people are delightful, the weather was stunning and the scenery quite beautiful...

La Luna however ...
The restaurant is sensational - the highpoint of the stay - fabulous sushi, fish and Italian specialities from the lovely Italian chef - But my recommendation is that you stay somewhere else and eat here a few times for a good night out ( great wine list too by the way !! )

Because otherwise the place is style over substance and I never trust a bar where the cocktails have no prices on the menu ... The rooms are stylish but a touch over-grungey , the tiny secluded bay setting makes it possible to feel one is falling over the guests of the other 16 cottages and forced to socialise with unchosen strangers . Worst of all are the mosquitoes .... I read a review before I went which said the same thing and I ignored it thinking they were exaggerating - Mosquitoes became an obsession during my stay - attracted no doubt by the still water of the plunge pool located outside the 'open' bathroom on the terrace of my room ... - It's just not acceptable at these prices ....

Overall - It's pretty , the food is great, but the prices are a wrip off ( And I'm not shy of an expensive hotel ) I know many of the other guests ( some of them very nice ) felt exactly the same way.
Don't do It. The best part of staying here is looking at the photos before you arrive."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of January 2006

Picture Perfect

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"We stayed in Villa #10 for 3 nights and loved it! There were only 2 other couples staying at the same time so we felt like the place was our own. All the other reviews detail Laluna perfectly. The restaurant, bar, beach are wonderful and the staff is superb!! Very laid back, friendly atmosphere with NO stuffiness or attitude. The resort is gorgeous with a polynesian flair throughout. We booked massages in our room with Joanne - she was fantastic and I would highly recommend. We did not find Laluna to be as "remote" as other reviews have mentioned. My husband and I walked to Grand Anse beach twice and visited a couple beach bars - we also walked to Mariposa resort for lunch and sunset one afternoon. If you want some exercise it's a good 1/2 day outing! I would highly recommend Laluna for a honeymoon or special occasion destination since it is very quiet and very romantic. Grenada itself is not exactly what we expected - St. Georges is not your typical downtown tourist area - very few shops, restaurants or restaurants on the water to hang out at. We went to LaSaggase Beach for the day - highly recommend going for lunch and then hanging in the bay for a couple hours. Back at Laluna bug spray is an absolute must!!"

• Travel date: Fri 9th of December 2005

So Romantic

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"We had a fantastic time. It did rain a bit, but it was the rainy season so we can't complain too much. The staff was wonderful, very friendly and attentive- except Gold. We really wanted to rent a boat for the day, when we learned that it was just not going to happen, we asked to take the “hobiecat” out (a little sailboat), but he would not let us because we had never used that specific kind. Customer satisfaction was not his main concern, but it is easily overlooked, and everyone else was very nice.

The grounds are beautiful, very well designed and chic, and the setting is breathtaking- gorgeous sunsets, blue water, high cliffs, very secluded. The rooms are lovely, but being that I am a neat freak, I think they could have been a little cleaner. The was a bit of mold growing on the outside drapes that could of easily been remedied- but still not a huge complaint. The food was good, and we also recommend the restaurant down the beach. Sometimes we weren't in the mood for Italian food, so a convenient alternate option was appreciated.

Advice- bring BUG SPRAY!! I think they should put up mosquito nets to help. We rented a jeep and used it, but is not necessary and the driving is scary- the roads are pretty rough. The island itself is still recovering from Ivan, and there are some very depressing parts.

Snorkeling/diving was amazing- definitely go to Aquanauts, they are very professional and friendly, we could not of had a better experience! We also went on a chartered sailboat to Petite St Vincent (through Sunsation Tours, I think) which was really not worth it. Half the day was spent on the ferry getting there, and we were only on the sailboat for about an hour before we had to go back. Some lovely people we met at the hotel bar said the other trip is well worth it- you go to 5 or 6 different islands on a huge sailboat (used in the film “Pirates of the Caribbean”)- so if you’d like a boat tour go for the more expensive one. It was a memorable vacation and I highly recommend it to others. Thank you Laluna!!"

• Travel date: Sat 30th of July 2005

Romantic honeymoon

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"We went to Laluna for our Wedding/Honeymoon. What a beautiful resort!! We stayed in #6 which was very nice and also very private. Cottage #1 is a beachfront, but is not quite as private as it is close to the bar area. There are also some cottages higher up the stairs that share a common wall with the cottage next to them. I think they are a little cheaper, but since they are so high up the hill they have an even better view than what we had (and ours was terrific!)

Hurricane Emily went through during our stay at Laluna. The managers, the chef (whom everyone just called Chef), and Irvin(g) the bartender stayed with us throughout the storm. They also stayed (without much sleep) and made sure that we were getting food, drinks, and whatever else we needed as the normal waitstaff did not come in for a couple of days due to the weather. I cannot say enough how friendly and accommodating everyone was.

We were fortunate enough to go when there were some great guests, and we enjoyed ourselves immensely. We went in July which is the offseason. Because of this, the most people staying at the resort was around 20 and the least was somewhere around 10. Very private, very beautiful, and very romantic. Also, if you are looking for some great food, this is the place for you. Chef and his staff are simply superb. Even when the regular waitstaff were not there and we only had power because of a generator, the food was not only terrific but Chef himself came around to serve us.

We cannot wait to go back, although we will probably wait for an anniversary. We recommend it to anyone looking for something a little different from the average resort . However, you need to have an open mind when you go to Laluna. There are mosquitos, there are lizards, there are occaisonally stray dogs. This being said: the dogs were not around that often, the lizards ate moquitos and other annoying bugs, and OFF worked great for keeping the rest of the mosquitos at bay.

A couple of notes for U.S. travelers: the waitstaff were quite friendly, but VERY slow when compared to home. Also, every room has a cable box that has a 110 power connector on the back (great for charging cameras, ipods, etc)"

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of July 2005

Wonderful Honeymoon Experience

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"My husband and I went Laluna for our honeymoon last August, and let's just say we would love to go back! My husband was a little skeptical, but now he can't give it enough compliments. And he always says, we will go back.

The rooms were cozy and private, the open shower gave way to a spectacular view, as well as from the balcony! We could not hear our next door neighbors, and the property was gorgeous. The food was DELICIOUS, and the drinks just right. After a stressful planning period, but wonderful wedding, I must say the best decision we made was going to Laluna for the relaxation. Once you are there, all you want to do is sit back, relax, and enjoy the beauty of Grenada your entire stay.

And words cannot describe how kind the staff was to us. I started reading a book there from their library, which was hard cover and farily new. When we left for our second destination (which my husband did not want to), I asked if I could purchase the book since I was in the middle of it, and they told me I could have it. Just like that.

If you are looking for relaxation, especailly after a stressful period, Laluna is the way to go. I have attached pictures, but they truly do not give the place justice!"

• Travel date: Mon 11th of July 2005

Honeymoon

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"My wife and I stayed at Laluna for our honeymoon in August of '04. I just found this website so I write the review now.

What a great place for a honeymoon. It is like being trapped on Gilligan's Island, except you have all the best amenities. The bar by the pool is great. The restaurant serves excellent Italian food with a tropical twist. Nice wine list as well if you are into that. That is typically hard to find at some Carribeean resorts. We stayed in # 10. It was great. You only have one neighbor to your right and great views. Outdoor bathroom is quite cool and not a nuisance at all. Private plunge pool is awesome. The staff at the hotel was wonderful and so are all the people on the island. Random strangers all over the island would approach us and asked us if we were having a good time in their country and they thanked us for coming. If you go, do the Island tour with Eddie at A & E tours. Great guy and great tour. He can be your taxi for the week as well. You can get a taxi to the hotel in about 10-15 minutes. Have already recommended to many and will continue. Do yourself a favor and spend time here."

• Travel date: Sun 29th of May 2005