Good

The holiday was on of the best we have h...

Reviewed Tue 5th of February 2008

"The holiday was on of the best we have had, so easy and relaxed, overall the hotel provided high standards and we we enjoyed the location on Grand Anse Beach. Our Ocean View room was very clean and modern, I loved the views out and the closeness to the Caribbean Sea from the balcony.

The restaurant service and food were of a good standard and the meals were enjoyable, we really liked the breakfasts and having lunch around the pool side. We did dine out a few times in the evening because we like to explore.

If you want hustle and bustle this isn't for you. If you want a tropical island and a slow pace where you can chill out and relax, then look no further.

We explored the island and Grenada and its people are very friendly. We have also stayed in the Grenadian by rex and though that was very good (we were with children) the Coyaba Hotel was recommend for myself and my partner by some friends that had been before. We booked through a smaller company they recommended and got a better personal service from start to finish.

We are planning a return visit and may stay on the all inclusive plan next time."

• Travel date: Tue 5th of February 2008

Wonderful,friendly hotel

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"My husband and stayed at this hotel from 10/8/06 to 24/9/06 on an all inclusive basis. All I can say is that we had a fantastic time and hope to return next year. It is not an International 5* resort but it doesn't claim to be!! It is a wonderfully friendly, well run hotel which offers good facilities and great food. It is set in pretty gardens that are growing fast!

Our every need was catered to by staff that had big smiles and made you feel nothing was to much trouble. We relaxed and had fun, we hope you do too......!"

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of September 2006

Coyaba - huge improvements, truely lovely resort

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Just returned back from Coyaba Beach Resort, Excellent. If you like small hotels, great food, quality rooms, friendly service and don't mind paying that little extra to get it, then this is for you. Keep it quiet before everyone hears about it, it's lovely.

The rooms are all newly furnished, lovely modern fittings, even a mossi screen over patio doors so you can sleep with your ceiling fan and hear the ocean. Room had new, quiet Air Con units, TV's, fridge, iron, tea/coffee maker, room safes and wireless internet connection too! Food was excellent, so was the service and menu selections, very reasonably priced too. Being able to choose from the a la carte for lunch and dinner was great. Breakfast was a joy with lots of choice and served in a pleasant relaxed manner under cooling fans. The restaurant staff were all great. We didn't go all inclusive and ate out some days, everything is nearby or short taxi ride. Grand Anse beach was lovely and the hotel has a small part fenced off near their garden area, so you don't get hassle from beach vendors, not that we saw many. Of course you can go through the resort gate and you are directly on Grand Anse sandy beach. A guy in the beach hut was happy to take our loungers out closer to the sea.

This resort is excellent, one of the last things being done was some areas of grass closer to the beach were being seeded, a little rain and everything will be lush. I would say since the last persons review this resort has come on leaps and bounds. Don't hesitate, it was great."

• Travel date: Tue 27th of June 2006

Great Hotel, just needs a bit more time

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"Fantastic staff who really made this place. A bit of light building work / landscaping still going on which would have become annoying, but we were there during the extended Easter weekend which stopped the workmen being there every day. I agree with the architect comments - WHY WHY WHY was the bar not built in a way that allowed sunset views without craning your neck up and around the bandstand (why do they need a bandstand anyway ?).
Great position on Grand Anse, near to local shops & restaurants. Don't be afraid to get the local buses. We did so most days and had a hoot on them, 2$EC per person, Number one drops you off right on the Carenage. We chose Grenada mainly because it was considered "safe" and happily walked around just about everywhere including after dark with no fears whatsoever. Would definitely stay at the Coyaba again, but in a couple of years when the gardens have grown a bit"

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of April 2006

Pleasant, but disappointed!

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"Just spent a few nights at the Coyaba. Wanted a room overlooking beautiful Gran Anse and moved from the Grenada Grand to Coyaba just to upgrade myself. But you cannot see the beach from the rooms at the Coyaba. However, although hotel says rooms are all Oceanview, they are NOT. All rooms face the general areas of the hotel. ie: Pool area,kitchen,lounge. The archietect should be stoned in a public sqaure and has probably never designed a hotel before. Many unfortunate mistakes in the layout of the New Coyaba. Rooms are relatively small, with even smaller balconies. Rooms are basic, fits the theme but space is a problem...For holidays of a week to two will be a problem. There is no where for luggage and very little for storing your clothes. The is nowhere to hang a wet towel. Doors are cheap, flimsy sliding doors. Hotel has alot of furniture all over the general areas, perhaps even too much of it. Breakfast is the same everyday...standard American Breakfast with some baked goods and a good egg cook (made-to-order). Overall service was friendly and helpful, but nobody went the extra mile. Hotel rates seem over-priced for what you get. Regarding the meal plan, only go with the breakfast plan and dine around otherwise. Excellent pizza across the road and other pasta dishes. Lunch at Coconut Beach Restaurant or True Blue were both good....the best lunch was at THE COVE, but sadly the owner has it up for sale. Dinner: Try THE BEACH HOUSE (next to LaLuna) or LaLuna itself. Rhodes at Clabash Hotel is good. Food overall on the island is very expensive.....across the board.
Car Rental is a must. Y and R have an office at the airport which is convenient. There is no real good road map and there are no street signs, so stop often to ask directions everytime you get lost. In Grenada you will discover two things when driving: (1) They love humps in the road, normally in pairs and (2) Round-a-bouts of varying sizes. Driving through the narrow streets of the capital is trying as there are also no NO ENTRY sighs---you are supposed to simply KNOW its a no entry-so follow the traffic.

In all, Grenada is extremely beautiful, the beaches are awesome. There are better choices for a place to stay than the Coyaba. It is still under construction and I would certainly give it another 6-12months to establish its landscaping etc. I probably will stay elsewhere next time. I will be back to Grenada, the people are gems. Sunsets are a must at Morne Rounge Beach....and grab a drink at the bar while you're at it. Next time I will consder SPICE ISLAND HOTEL which has rooms directly on the beach and span a good distance along the beachfront. Also LaLuna is romantic and special and True Blue has character. Depends what you want. Coyaba is not my idea of a luxury beach hotel.

Another word of warning: They seem to have a problem with people sporting big camera's. They believe this is exploiting their island by taking hotos of their struggle and selling them to European Magazines."

• Travel date: Mon 17th of April 2006

Wait to go

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"I agree with the review "not ready yet". I was there in February and had the very same problems. It was essentially like being on a very active construction site. The staff were indeed very nice and tried their best but that just couldn't make up for all the construction.

I read their web site before going there, and beware, it mentions that there are many completed wings with some light construction far from the completed wings. Sadly this actually translates in reality to; "some rooms have furniture but are in the middle of a muddy building site". (Although when the mud turns to grass it should look very nice)

Also there was a kettle and cups, but no coffee or tea in our room. We had to find and insert the batteries for our in-room safe and there was no information folder or information about the hotel or area in the room. No operating instructions for the phone either. Only one pilow was provided per person.Pool had a swim-up bar but no bartender or drinks.Ever.
Hopefully these were teething pains associated with being open before they really ought to be open; actually there were actually pieces of re-bar sticking up from the ground all over the grounds which could obviously be dangerous aside from being very ugly to look at.

Also I found the breakfast buffet to be WAY overpriced and frankly quite disgusting. We pointed out to the manager on duty that the bacon tasted spoiled, so he assured us that he would have a waitress eat a piece to find out; he couldn't do it himself as he was a vegeterian!!!! How about not giving anyone food poisoning and just smelling it and then throwing it away?! That was the only meal we ate at the hotel as we were so put off by the experience.

Having said all of that however, I do believe it will eventually be a good choice one all these issues are addressed. It is one of the nicer hotels on this beach and the beach is long and lovely. They actually provide lovely padded teak sunloungers right on the beach which is a nice touch. Also a very friendly and accommodating staff try their best in difficult circumstances. If you're going to go wait until winter 2006."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of March 2006

Not Ready Yet

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"We were booked into the Coyaba Hotel for 10 nights but after seven we could stand no more. There is no garden as yet, i.e. no grass to put a sunbed on; instead, earth-moving equipment, big cement-mixer trucks, and trucks delivering tons of earth come and go. A new bandstand is being built at one end and at the other a block of rooms is still under construction. If you manage to get a sunbed under a little shady shrub on the beach you won't have any peace because of all the banging, drilling and circular sawing going on right behind you. The other main problem was that the water supply kept going off, sometimes for several hours (maybe that's fixed now).
The reason we stuck this out for a week was because of some positive things. In particular the hotel staff were really nice and helpful and we could only feel sorry for them. Also the food in the restaurant is normally good. Also, everything that's in use is brand new! Of course, Grand Anse beach is spectacular.
This is going to be a lovely hotel when it's done, but we wouldn't recommend it until well into next winter's season."

• Travel date: Sun 19th of March 2006

Staff were fantastic.....!!

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"My wife and I spent our honeymoon at Coyaba in early June. The reception staff were, at best, courteous, but the rest of the staff couldn't have friendlier. It's a huge cliche but we did feel part of a big family and were on first name terms for most of the trip. Particular mentions for Josephine and Stanley.
We travelled with Virgin and the brochure pictures don't really do the hotel justice (ie the decor isn't quite as garish!).
The food, as mentioned by others, is not the most exciting in the world but it was tasty enough and certainly filling. One night a week is set aside for a cocktail party where you get to meet the owner (he must be confident of his hotel!) and I overheard no complaints from other guests.
Take care when on the beach as some hawkers can be a bit persistent, but the majority are fine, and it must be noted that all hotels on Grand Anse suffer similarly.
The weekly tour and talk in the grounds was a novel touch and was very interesting for the mildly green-fingered almost us.
All told, if we came back to Grenada we would be more than happy to return to Coyaba Beach Resort."

• Travel date: Wed 21st of July 2004

Nice Resort

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"We stayed at the Coyaba May 15-17th, 2004.
It was a pleasant stay. Only complaint was we had to wait almost 2 hours before our room was ready for us. Other than that it is a nice resort. Beach was clean and pretty. There are many vendors on the beach that will approach, (but actually they are very polite).
I really enjoyed the gardens of the resort. Every square inch of the grounds are flowers or fruit trees. They have a tour of the gardens on Wednesday. I wasn't going to be there on a Wednesday, so one morning I asked a grounds keeper if he could give me a quick tour. He was very nice and identified many flowers and trees for me. (I think his name was Marty or Anthony- he was very nice to take the time to do that for me)

The pool is small, and has a swim up bar. I wish the pool would of been open longer than 8pm.

All in all, not a bad place to stay. Enjoy."

• Travel date: Thu 27th of May 2004

Coyaba the best deal for your money

Reviewed Mon 8th of October 2012

"We were in Grenada May 15 for one week. We were visiting our son who goes to school there. We had asked him to look around and book us a hotel. He got us in at the Coyaba Beach Resort. We were extremely please overall with the resort. The rooms were on the old side, but very well maintained. The rooms were clean, and housekeeping came daily to change sheets and towels, mop floors etc. The beach was just steps away, and the Grande Anse is the most beautiful beach we have seen. It was an easy walk to several other resorts to have drinks or a meal. The cattamaran picked us up right in front of the beach hotel and we had a lovely sunset cruise. For the price of the room you could get free use of snokle equipment and the hobie cat. The breakfast was excellent, but the rest of the food was truly awful. We ate dinner there once and could not finish our meals, it was so bad. If you stay there go somewhere else to dinner, or walk across the street to the mall for some light meals at the several small resturants there. If you are daring, you can take the "red buses" or the "Ragae Buses" which have stops everywhere into St. George. It is a great experience. All in all, I high reccomend the Coyaba, and we will stay there again when we return in Feb."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of May 2004

unbelievably bad

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We are still laughing with each other over our initial choice of hotels to stay at in Grenada..thank goodness we only stayed for one night. I don't think I have ever seen a worse set up in my life. The hotel looks like it's right out of the 70's and the food is just plain disgusting. I got on the phone right away and begged and pleaded to be switched to a different hotel. Our room was poorly decorated, dirty and had a huge hole in the ceiling. The menu at dinner consisted of an entree entittled"fish in a brown sauce". The staff are very unfriendly and most of them just look so resentful to have to serve you. I truly thought I was on candid camera, the place was so laughable. I can truly admit i am not the complaing type, and would never consider writing this review if I didn't feel compelled to warn a few people. The island is beautiful aand the people generally kind and warm, but traveller beware of the Coyaba..you will feel as though someone has put you in a time warp back to 1965...Run away quickly.."

• Travel date: Sat 1st of May 2004