Love Love Love It,,!!

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"I Don't travel much, but this was a beautiful apportionment, my dad and his wife pertussis this hotel in the summer of 2007 and fixed it up a hole lot.

The hotel is in the center of Sosua. but you wouldn't think that you are. Its so quiet, its on a one way rode, so not allot of traffic, everything is just a 5 minute walk away, bank, supermarkets, day trip organists, gift shops, nice and quiet beach, and a hole lot of restaurants.

About the restaurants i don't have allot to tell, my friend and I eat our breakfast and dinner 6 nights p/w at the restaurant from the hotel. And only good things to say.. we were hoked on the chicken and mixed grill,, and as desert, the creme caramel,, mmmmm..

The people that work there, are wonderful. we stayed for 2 weeks, and from day one. they were so friendly and open, to all the guest.

The owners will tell you how to get around in and around sosua, all sow they will advise you witch day trips are your day worth wile.

What i saw of other hotels, or there from a bigger organisation so its very very un personal, or its small and not good taken care of.

in just a few words, its quiet, its personal, its clean, its a tropical oasis and a place you would come back to."

• Travel date: Mon 16th of June 2008

Great Value!

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"I have traveled all over the world and it is would be hard to beat the value at this hotel.

Stayed there from May 11th thru the 17th.
If you are looking for an American 3, 4 or 5 star ROOM then keep on looking
The rooms are a little small and plain but clean with two beds, AC, night stand and refrig. They also provide free WIFI internet access. Single was weak in my room but very good sitting outside my room on the porch next to the pool.

Much of the hotel/pool common grounds reminds you of a garden.
Owners (A couple who lives there) are very friendly and will help you with tours, etc.. In most restaurants in the DR you had better not be in a hurry for it will take awhile but the restaurant next to the hotel was the exception...would consider the food very good, especially at dinner.

Very close to shops, banks bars, pharmacy and beach. Not a problem walking the the area at night.

Just a very friendly place to relax. In summary, picture 2.5 star ROOM with great atmosphere and service."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of June 2008

best hotel in the dr

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"Does this place need another good review? I don't think so. The new owners greeted us by the pool with a cold fruit drink which is touch I have seen in hotels for $300 a night. When we departed the owner ordered the airport cab at a reduced rate and sent us on our way with a friendly handshake.

The cleaning staff washed my stained shirt and waited to clean our room past the checkout time as we were eating lunch. Let me know if you find a friendlier pair.

Rooms were clean and this is the quietest place I've stayed at in the DR....no roaring motoconchistas and loud bachata music. Batchata is great but not when you're sleeping!

Pool was repainted and very clean. Grounds with a giant rubber tree are oasis like. Each room maintains a level of privacy with a small concrete divider units. The fish meal in the restaurant was 250 pesos, not cheap, but half the price of some places on the strip. A small colamdo or corner store is 100 away if you need a beer, or food to make a sandwich. Beds are new and comfortable. Also the small beach is just down the street if you want a "hawker free" dip and don't want to hike to the busy main beach. If you don't like all inclusives and want a clean, friendly, quiet place look no further"

• Travel date: Thu 1st of May 2008

Great place for a great price

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"Absolutely positive experience. We arrived in Sosua from Santo Domingo at 11pm, walking down the street at night without reservation we were worried thinking that we'll end up sleeping at the beach. But a night guard at Casa Valeria was on the street, vigilant, scanning the street for potential guests. And we walked in...

ROOM:
We were shown a room and a studio. Studio was just $50, and it was a lot more comfortable than the room, for $5 extra there was no question. Studio has a queen sized bed, another smaller bed in the other room, so 3 people can sleep there (i don't know if they charge extra for that, we are a couple), great kitchen, outdoor table with chairs, fan and air-con, and a cable TV with a lot of channels, but who's watching TV on vacation (I guess it can be good for those rainy days). The only bad thing was that there was a funky odor coming from the bathroom, probably plumbing, but the next day after our room was cleaned the odor was permanently gone... I guess it wouldn't have been there had we booked the room, but we dropped in.

PROPERTY:
Next morning we woke up and took a walk around the property. And what a surprise... The green!!! Everywhere. The whole place is surrounded in tropical garden. Shade everywhere, but still a lot of sunshine coming through if that's what you want. And in the middle of everything a swimming pool. We are beach and not pool people, but noon to 3 pm in DR the sun is just too strong, and there is nothing better than relaxing in a tropical garden under heavy shade, next to the pool, with a cocktail (and you can get good ones in their restaurant at a very reasonable price).
And for people who just have to take their laptops with them even to DR, the WiFi is an added bonus.

LOCATION:
Maybe the best thing with Casa Valeria is the location. In a quiet street, but so close to all the night life of Sosua, a block away from the main road where you can catch a ride to Puerto Plata or Cabarete, and best of all Playa Alicia - the best beach in town (way better than the main public beach) is just down the street.

SERVICE:
The new owners (a Duch couple in early fifties) are extremely friendly and helpful, we did not see housekeeping but the room was always clean and our towels were folded like animals, or a suit with a tie), and the restaurant staff is excellent too (but most Dominicans are). Last day I realized that i didn't print my e-ticket, and the owner was great enough to let me borrow his computer and his printer. Now that's what I call service. He also took a photo of my girlfriend and me having breakfast and this morning that photo showed up in my e-mail inbox. Sweet.

CONCLUSION:
Casa Valeria is not a 5 star resort. Rooms are basic but very charming, clean but not spotless, bed is small but comfortable... Price is not 5 star either! And that is exactly what we needed - GREAT VALUE! It is a small hotel closer to guest houses, very personal, very charming, and I would highly recommend it for independent travelers who want to have a personal vacation and not a 5 star, preplanned, no charm vacation."

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of April 2008

Casa Valeria: The Number One in Town!

Reviewed Wed 10th of October 2012

"I have been visiting Sosua frequently since 1994, but I have never been more positively surprised than in Hotel Casa Valeria during my most recent visit.
Hotel Casa Valeria is not just another hotel in Sosua. It is a relief and revelation located in the hart of Sosua. The hotel is surrounded by several tropical mini-gardens, creating a quiet and relaxed atmosphere. Several sculptures are positioned in the front and inner patio. Most rooms are located around the inner patio, which has a small pool. Each room has a unique and beautiful mural painting. Hotel staff is professional and caring: where did I ever found my towel fold up like a swan?

Adjacent is the recently renovated Restaurant Casa Valeria, with its own surprises. A colorful mural, a small bar and tables dressed nicely with cloth in style. No, you won’t get paper napkins and you won’t find tomato ketchup on your table unless you ask for it.
The restaurant offers a wide variety of carefully planned dishes prepared by two local cooks, who learned the tricks of the trade from a European colleague. The real surprise comes with the food itself: plates are like pieces of art, the taste is outstanding. I tried fish and beef dishes, both were great. Afterwards I couldn’t resist to try my favorite desert, the crème caremel. After so many years in Mexico and Central America, I never before had a such a fresh and buetifully dressed ceme caramel. Once tried, once hooked!
Hotel and Restaurant Casa Valeria is owned by a very friendly Dutch couple. They love the place at least as much as I did, which explains a lot.
Casa Valeria raise current standards in the Sosua and Caberete area. To me, they are the undisputed Number One in town!"

• Travel date: Thu 10th of April 2008

our home away from home

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"having returned to casa valeria year after year, and seeing it go through many changes we continue to love it and return, thinking of it as our home away from home. the new owners are darling and have made sweet, homey updates as well as kept the support staff that we have grown to know and love. rosa and nicholas help to keep the place clean and safe and we feel very welcomed time after time."

• Travel date: Wed 19th of March 2008

I love staying here, always great atmosphere, friendly and welcoming!

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"This is the 4th/5th/6th time I have stayed at Casa Valeria.
I forget how often! This is always my first choice for a hotel stay in Sosua.
It is friendly, welcoming and very accommodating.
And you are 'thought about' as a guest there by the owners and I think that makes all the difference, when staying in a hotel abroad.

The hotel feels safe and secure.
The garden area around the pool is lush with plants and has a very tropical feel about it, even though the hotel is in the heart of town.
The rooms are clean and comfortable with A/C, fan, fridge, hot water and the hotel is tranquil and quiet.
If you don't want loud music and karaoke every night at your hotel, and are fed up with AI's, Casa Valeria is the place to relax after a hard day sunbathing at the beach!
You are dead centre in the heart of town, walking distance to the clubs (minus the noise to keep you awake), restaurants, the beach, pretty much everything. I can't recommend Casa Valeria enough and the new owners will look after you well!
The restaurant now serves breakfast and also lots of other good tasty morsels to whet your appetite."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of January 2008

Perfect budget hotel

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"We highly recommend this hotel. Great place for budget conscious couples looking for a romantic vacation. There are only nine rooms and the environment is quiet and relaxing. The common area is beautiful with outstanding gardens and a spotless pool. The rooms are clean and have air conditioning, a fan, and TV. The service is excellent as well. Also, the owners operate a very nice restaurant next door. Best of all, the location is prime and the price is extremely reasonable."

• Travel date: Fri 25th of January 2008

Small, eclectic and elegant hotel

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"I have nothing but good things to say about this hotel. I stayed in late November for a week and was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were clean and had hot running water in the shower which is shocking for Sosua. The hotel has undergone a change of management in the last five months or so; now being run by a friendly Dutch couple. The hotel while small, is well decorated in tropical decor with extremely lush vegetation giving you the feel of a hotel in Costa Rica or Mexico rather than downtown Sosua. The hotel is equipped with a small restaurant which under the new management serves a full menu breakfast lunch and dinner quickly prepared by a pretty good chef.

The hotel's guest friendly for the single male traveler but has struck a good balance for those traveling with children. I like this place so much that I left a couple of CDs for future patrons to listen to while enjoying their dinner.

I would definitely recommend it for family traveling on a budget or the single traveler looking to hang out in a party town."

• Travel date: Thu 29th of November 2007

Great budget hotel

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"The Hotel Casa Valeria, located in the center of Sosua, is a great bargain for the traveler looking for a quiet, pleasant, spotlessly clean and centrally located small budget hotel. The tropical foliage conceals the fact that you are in the center of Sosua. The rooms are configured so they circle an inviting swimming pool. There is a small restaurant that is attached to the hotel that serves tasty meals. Innkeepers are pleasant and hospitable."

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of October 2007