About Hotel Riu Bambu

• kids club
  • babysitting

Never ever ever again.

Reviewed 10 months ago

"We arrived at Rui Bambu on Monday 29th october for 7 nights , me , the wife and 2 kids .
So looking foreward to this break.
On 1st seeing the hotel and views we were happy.
By tuesday lunch myself and Jen were terribly ill with violent diaorreha and also vomiting for Jen.
We went to the chemist on site where the prices changed daily .
Every day was spent in agony .
Totaly discusting food service habits.
Cold raw food mixed onto cooked .
Raw meat .
Overcooked food.
Wiping tables with cloths that were seen to be rinsed ina bucket of mop water.
All this was reported by either myself or other guests.
Dozens of other guests were ill too and plenty of complaints .
We didnt go to the hospital because of the horror stories we were told by guests and a man litrerly crying in frustration.
The daytine entertainment is terrible , and the guy called Francisco sexy twins should be sacked -- trying to get my eldest lad to date 3 local girls and be in a film, i am not kidding . He told them to get lost , i wish he had smacked him.
The male bar staf are more interested in chatting up female guests.
Anyway you get the idea.
This is a 3☆ at most and thats at a stretch.
We are still ill 4 weeks later.
On getting back home Jen had to be ambulanced to hospital.
We both had Desentry ( shigella sonnie pathogen).
Still off work 4 weeks later .
Public health England contacted us when the Hospital had to report it.
PLEASE STAY AWAY ."

• Travel date: Mon 1st of October 2018

Riu Bambu

Reviewed Thu 13th of June 2013

"I have to say that when people write reviews about hotels/resorts etc, they should really try and spell.....
We are going to Riu Bambu in August, we have been there (not their) before so really looking forward to it."

• Travel date: Thu 6th of June 2013

02/05/2013

Reviewed Thu 2nd of May 2013

"Arrived home yesterday after a two week stay at the "RIU BAMBU"... I find the overall rating "of the property " a little biased in this case.. Our room was Good, our maid, well I was upset when we left she was amazing .. The Dominican staff "In general" were smiling and good people... "AS LONG AS YOU TIPPED".... Beach amazing, scenery stunning,, would I return to "RIU BAMBU" never!
This is no 5* hotel, the food is horrific, and I make this statement after I had actually said to my partner on day 3 of our vacation that "I could not believe the rubbish on the reviews we had read online about the menu"...Everything cold and walked over a few hundred times by flies. they swarm the restaurant, cannot be helped I agree in warmer climates but some control on food preservation should be in place!..
On day 6 three different parties in three separate rooms were ill ..
The final insult came after I viewed a barman in the Restaurant topping up used glasses of beer with "dregs"in to take out to unsuspecting diners, when challenged he simply shrugged his shoulders at me!
If you want beer at your dining table, go to the free pump and pour it yourself!

I was in RIU BAMBU for a family wedding!.. OK I found a snake on my balcony, normal for the climate "not a problem".. but the cockroaches were another issue.. our room was not full of them but we trapped at least 3 as did the other members of our "party"..

I have come back home with mixed reviews about the "RIU BAMBU" .. If you go take plenty of "Dollar" money talks here..

The Asian restaurant was good .. the steakhouse not so good. the mexican .. I have nothing good to say about!

The place is amazingly beautiful...

But when I pay for a 5* hotel I do not expect to have a plastic wristband strapped to my wrist for the entire 2 weeks as though I have paid to enter a theme park for the day !

As for the talk about visiting the other RIU hotels next to the Bambu .. for refreshments .. forget it.. they will only serve you water!!!

I am home .. cannot say anything bad about "thomson/first choice who we flew with.. but club riu bambu .. never again...

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of May 2013

Paradise

Reviewed Wed 21st of September 2011

"Absolutely best holiday!Hotel is stunning and is very modern and stylish.When we arrived we were greeted and welcomed to a high standard.The rooms were fully air conditioned and mini bars for free if all inclusive which is fab if you want a quick drink on a night.The beach is very golden and has plenty sun beds! You get towel cards to get your towels for free!Their is a main buffet and 3 a la carte restraunts Italian,steak house and our favorite Chinese!The food was always to a high standard.The pool bar is fantastic but gets busy on an afternoon.Their were lots of Spanish,Americans and Germans their but all staff spoke English.The animation team were fantastic some names to look out for Ajay,Kathy,Machine,Mj and Jimmy they were all very friendly.Different shows every night our favourite was the african and Micheal jackson and the animations own show absolutley hilarious!We would definitley go back because it was such a beautiful place and the hotel was so much of a high standard!"

• Travel date: Mon 27th of June 2011

Rui Bambu - Don't bother

Reviewed Thu 16th of July 2009

"My husband and I stayed at the Rui Bambu from June to July this year.
We were sold the holiday by Thompsons as a 5* equivalent. It wasn't. At best we thought it was 3*. The rooms were tired and in need of redecoration. We were lucky in that our air conditioner worked. All other guests we spoke to their air conditioning didn't work and in that humidity you need it. They had complained to the Thompson reps and the hotel reception but nothing had been done apparently.
I have stayed in Travel Lodges which were in better condition that the rooms. Ours smelt mouldy when we first got there but that seemed to go once we had the iar conditioning on for a while (or we just got used to it).

The food was OK. There was lots of choice but after two weeks of the same stuff we started getting a bit fed up of it. Everything seemed to be really salty to me but that may have been personal taste (I don't salt my food and I did see some Greman guests adding more salt!) There was always fresh fruit avilable and the breakfasts were nice with lots of variety - I had pancakes with mapel syrup a few time. We found the service good on the whole. The staff were helpful and happy to serve. We weren't very impressed with the enterainment. I have read reviews where people have praised the entertainment staff for how hard they worked. The never seemed to get any time off. All the time we were there the sames staff were there. The shoes on the evening reminded me of a cross between britains got talent and celebrity come dance with me! fine if you like that sort of thing. We stayed up to watch the whole thing once and decided it wasn't worth doing it again.

On the plus side the beach was beautiful - just as you would imagine it with white sand and palm trees. The weather was beautiful also. We had a few heavy rain showers but the cleared really quickly.
We went and did some trips also but I wouldn't go through the Thompson rep. They 'advised' people not to use companies other than those they recommend as it could be 'unsafe' but there was a company based on the beach called ScudaCaribe through the Rui Hotel that were lass than half the price than the Thompson version and seemed to be just as good. ScubaCaribe provided all of the free watersports Thompson endorsed such as catamaran sailing, kayaking, pedalos, windsurfing etc. We booked horse riding through them and really enjoyed it.

• Travel date: Wed 15th of July 2009

Best value hotel in Bavaro

Reviewed Thu 16th of April 2009

"Just arrived back from a week here. Reading some of the previous reviews, I nearly didnt book this hotel as it sounded like Butlins.

THat was so far from the truth.

The food, fantastic, loads of choice 24 hours a day.

The drink, plentyful 24 hours a day.

The staff, very friendly and helpful, everyday!

Beach - Best I have been on.

Value for money 10/10!

There is loads going on, but if you are like us, you just want to chill out enjoy so great food and drink in a quiet spot, then fine, the entertainment is there is you want it and out th eway if you dont! There is something for everyone, regardless of age and taste!

Try it we will be back and soon!"

• Travel date: Thu 16th of April 2009

Lovely Riu Bambu

Reviewed Tue 10th of February 2009

"Have recently returned from a two week stay at Riu Bambu and have a wonderful time. All staff was polite and welcoming, mostly speaking decent English, although our attempts at some basic Spanish were welcomed.

The staff was always cheerful and greeted us whenever we met them. I was impressed with the management as it seemed as if all the staff was valued no matter what their job and I am sure that this reflected in the courteous way we were treated. I also found the customer relations to be excellent, both the manager and a customer relations lady were regularly in the restaurant and came to talk to us and ensure we had everything we required. We only had one problem during our stay which was a fusty smell in the room. We went to reception and they moved us the following morning to another room which was fine with no problem. They also left us a bottle of local rum and telephoned later to check we were satisfied with the new room.

The All Inclusive package was 24 hours and it was nice to have drinks in the room, although these were limited. However there were several places where other drinks could be obtained easily. We found the food to be good with plenty of choice for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There are other restaurants we could use at other hotels in the resort although we did not use them as we had plenty of choice at the Bambu. We did try the Steak House al la carte which was very enjoyable.

The animacion team were amazing. They worked hard and very long hours, yet were always cheerful and energetic. They provided quite a variety of activities during the day and put on show in the evening. The shows were good and the people taking part were very professional in their attitude. Many thanks to Alex, who was pretty amazing, in addition to being part of the team providing daytime activities, he also sometimes worked in the kids club (they all seemed to love him) as well as being a dancer in the shows and dancing with the guests before/ after the ShowTime. I don’t know where he got his energy from! They also did a beach party with a BBQ during our stay which was fun.

The beach was gorgeous; although we did not spend a lot of time there as it was quite often windy during our stay. I preferred the pool as I do not like swimming in the sea. This had a Jacuzzi which I enjoyed and the pool was large enough to have a space to swim unlike some hotels I have visited. There were plenty of beds around the poolside as well as on the beach, with pool towels which could be changed daily. The only small criticism I have is that some of the mattresses need replacing. We only had difficulty on one occasion. I noticed that guests from the other hotels in the resort used the Bambu facilities and I think that this was because there was more going off there. We did look at some of the other hotels but preferred the Bambu.

Would I return – you bet, although I do tend to like to see new places each time. I thought the holiday was excellent value for money. Riu Bambu es muy bien!

• Travel date: Tue 10th of February 2009

Riu Bambu

Reviewed Fri 7th of November 2008

"Selected the Riu Bambu after reading positive reviews on a number of websites for a week away in guaranteed sunshine and we were not disappointed. Arrived at the hotel mid afternoon and as soon as the bus pulled up, you ccould see the clear blue ocean.

The hotel itself forms part of a much larger area, comprimising of 3 other Riu resorts. The Bambu is set in stunning grounds, of palm trees and well maintained gardens. The reception area, available 24 hours is of typical caribbean design, with 2 small shops as part of the facilities. The rooms of the hotel are of a 2 storey design, each painted in pastel shades. Each room has its own private balcony and is complete with 2 double beds, a bathroom with a decent shower/bath and a fridge & optics for drinks, which are restocked every 48 hours. Rooms are air conditioned and are fitted with mosquito nets. The cleaning staff take great pride in their work and rooms are cleaned daily and left immaculate. Keys for the safety deposit box are issued free on arrival.

All inclusive drinks are available all day from the pool and Mamajuana snack bar. Food is typical of all inclusive resorts, but to be honest there is a wide selection available with 2 theme nights each week. You can prebook the steak house, if you fancy a change but we were more than happy with the selection available in the main dining area. Travelling with 2 children, we were a little concerned, however pizza, salad and ice cream all available among the extensive range offered. You can truely pig out during breakfast, lunch and dinner. The mamjuana area was very handy, located right next to the pool area for lunch and offered an equally good choice after a morning in the sun.

We tended to lounge around the pool area or at the beach, which is stunning. I can see now why they call it the coconut coast! Sunbeds around both pool areas are plentiful, with some in the shade and the larger pool has a swim up bar. Daily activities form part of the Bambu offering, anything from dancing, pool games and aerobics to bowls and volleyball. On a thursday night it is worth taking a stroll along to caribbean street, where displays of dancing etc take place in typical traditional styles.

Evening entertainment, you'll either love it or hate it. We loved it. While not to the standard of a west end show, the entertainment staff did a brilliant job. The halloween show was fantastic and if you have a good sense of humour you'll be more than satisfied. Congratulations must go to the animation staff, who do a fantastic job of speaking 4 languages and keeping guests entertained 14 hours a day. They are a friendly bunch and great with the kids.

Elsewhere, I found the staff to be very polite and helpful. The hotel certainly deserves a high rating, with good food, superb staff and facilities and fantastic location.

Would recommend to all, in fact we are booking to return. "

• Travel date: Fri 7th of November 2008

This was the best holiday ever i couldnt...

Reviewed Wed 1st of October 2008

"This was the best holiday ever i couldnt complain about anythink. the swim up pool bar and jaquzi was brilliant. the beach is out of this world and there is every watersport u could want there some of them are free. we swam with the dolphins which was amazing. the animation team were really gud they worked non stop they were always there entertaining u especially Ronny who was so funny.The food therewas brilliant they had everything u wanted 24 hours a day. u could notfault this holiday i really wantto go back. overall an excellant holiday."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of October 2008

the RIU bambu - needs a refurb and staff...

Reviewed Wed 16th of July 2008

"the RIU bambu - needs a refurb and staff to be trained!

we have stayed at many RIU hotels without a problem and 5 star service hence booking into the RIU bambu.

The hotel is rated a 5 star, rated a 4 star with our tour operator but iin reality its a maximum 3 star!! If you are english or american i would not reccomend there are loads of very rude french & italinans guests "never heard of a waiting line"

The rooms - on arrival we were givena room which was damaged - lampshades, floor tiles, tv, you name it as well as bein very damp. We were then moved to another which had similar faults but not to the extent of the previous and then were told that it was the best room available bearing in mind the hotel was only half full! 4/10

The staff - Staff are very rude, well thats unless you are older and can be taken of advantage easier. Restaurant staff were a mostly a joke - very sleezy with the women and constantly taking advantage of older guests. they have one thing on there mind and thats TIPS! which is the reason they favour the older guests. Along with them being very rude and you have probaly half chance of them ever getting you a drink at dinner (they are the worst staff i have ever had to put up with). 2/10

Bar staff - many are rude and can hardly understand english expect to recieve the wrong drink a few times on your stay 6/10

cleaning staff- great FAULTLESS! 10/10

garden staff - lazy, sleezy and all round rude. they go around swinging there machettis which is a bit of a joke. trying to impress. If they were just using to cut the bushes all would be fine but acting the joker! NO! Also were generally asleep under the stairway on many occasions. but did keep the place tidyish!

entertainment - very rude, very sleezy and walked around like they owned the place!
shows were similar to a episode of benidorm! talentless!!!! lalso there is a transvestite entertainer which is not goodd for the kids or anyone for that matter, caught the freak in the toilets puting his lippy on what a joke!

My advice pay extyra to go next door to The RIU PALACE PUNTA CANA! Really nice hotel and good staff, except christmas day (the waiters dont wanna be there)

hope this helps!!! - im going to write up a few reviews for the other RIU's i have stayed in which are all positive"

• Travel date: Wed 16th of July 2008

Our first trip to the dominican republi...

Reviewed Wed 2nd of July 2008

" Our first trip to the dominican republic was well worth the long journey. The rooms were absoloutely spotless and the staff were always friendly people. They couldn't do enough for you. The food was average cant complain but cant exactly say it was the tastiest food ive ever ate, although most of it was ok.
Weather wise we were very lucky, only one day of a good tropical storm and even then it was still nice and warm. There were several places to choose from to eat and drink, they were all good. There was also a casino, disco and a carnival in caribbean street on the thursday night.
We went on a couple of trips; one being the monster truck (a real eye opener) and the other was an animal adventure for the day. We got to swim with the sea lions, snorkle with the fish and oh my god, snorkling with the sharks (scary stuff).
The pools were lovely, but we chose to chill by the sea as you get a nice breeze. The animation team was great, always working hard day and night and keeping everyone entertained. The sunbeds provided were free and plentyful. The beach was very beautiful as was the sea. Nice and blue. :) We met some lovely people, all in all we both had a great holiday and hope to return in the near future."

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of July 2008

We went for two weeks, myself husband an...

Reviewed Sat 28th of June 2008

"We went for two weeks, myself husband and son who is 21 months. Had a great time, weather was beautiful only one day of warm rain the rest of the time was sunshine. We spent most of the time either in the pool or on the beach. The rooms were cleaned every day but we did have lots of tiny ants and some rather big cockroaches which was a bit of a pain. We complained at reception and was told it would be fumigated, we ended up with a can of spay to keep in the room which we sprayed before we went out. If travelling with young children make sure you bring enough wipes and nappies as a pack of wipes cost us approx £5 and the nappies were a lot too. You cannot get swimming nappies out in the resort so make sure you pack plenty of those too. The table tops in the room are covered with glass so be aware although we didn't have any accidents its easy to see how they could happen. The childrens pool is not with the other pools so we spent most the time in the smaller of the two pools, the activities took place in the big pool so our son was quite happy here. There is a range of food and they also have themed nights as well with differert foods. The mini bar is refilled every two days. I would recommend for people to go here although if travelling with other children there didn't seem to be that much for them to do.

• Travel date: Sat 28th of June 2008

Hotels near Hotel Riu Bambu

Top traveller tips for Hotel Riu Bambu

• Beulah by Beulah

"Spent our time in the resort, which was very enjoyable. "

• mwaterfall by mwaterfall

"Try it best value all inclusive "

• BT by BT

"Go to the Dominican but don't go to the Bambu and don't trust Thompsons description. "

• jay-260 by jay-260

"pour your own drinks in the main restaurant! "

• Toongirl by Toongirl

"Make the most of "your" holiday "

Hotel Riu Bambu is also called