Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro

Arena Gorda - Macao Seccion Baigua Arena Gorda - Macao, Seccion Baigua, Punta Cana Dominican Republic

Simply Amazing

Good

"I went alone just wanting to relax and get away from the stress of work...it was more then I could have possibly asked for!!! The staff catered to your every need, they kept you involved in everything that was going on and it was just an unbeleivable experience. The only problem I had on the trip was that I am not very profiecient in spanish. If you have some knowledge of the language it is helpful because most but not all employees at the Bahia speak English.

I recommend going to the shows at night in the theater and dancing to the live band afterwards. If thats not your type of fun then there are plenty of other things for you to do."

• Travel date: Fri 20th of August 2004

Great resort!

Good

"We have just arrived from the Bahia Principe Punta Cana. Great resort! certainly better than expected considering it was opened last June. In fact, a third of the hotel is not yet finished and workers are still there (day and night), although they aren't noisy and the arrangements are done in a way that you don't nearly realised. The rooms are spacious and clean, although some days they aren't done until really late (5-6 pm). The staff is very helpful and easy going, specially the animation team. There are plenty of activities day and night and it's also possible just relaxing under a palm tree. There is also a good diving center with all the equipment new and in good conditions. There are interesting dives around. The food is great! Breakfast
at the Orquidea buffet is a dream. Also for lunch there is a convenient snack bar at the pool by the beach, so you don't have to go to one of the buffets if you just want a burger or a sandwich. For dinner don't miss the thematic restaurants: The japanesse Mikado is fantastic and also the Italian and the Seafood one "El Pescador". The mexican one we don't find it too good, at least not the service. You will love the cocktails they prepare at any of the several bars. I recommend the pool bar that is at the swimming pools nearby the beach. The bartenders are really funny and kind (specially if you can understand Spanish). Don't miss the excursion to Saona Island if you want to have some fun and a real Caribbean experience. We also went to Santo Domingo. It's a long trip (more than 3.5 hours) but it's interesting if you want to know a bit of how they live at the Republica Dominicana.
The only thing this hotel needs is a bit of time to get the vegetation grown at the several gardens, as the palm trees and flowers and at some places too small, but that's understandable considering it has just been opened."

• Travel date: Mon 16th of August 2004

Awesome Vacation

"My teenage daughters and I just returned from 7 sun-soaked days at this gorgeous property that just opened in June. The Dominican people are friendly and always have a smile. Many of them speak little English, some speak English very well. They all try very hard to communicate with you, but keep in mind that you are a visitor in their country, so take the time to learn some Spanish before you go; you can find some helpful key words/phrases on the DR travel website.
FOOD: My daughters are very picky eaters but they certainly didn't go hungry. There's something for everybody's palate. The pastries and desserts were especially tasty. The buffet restaurant adjacent to the main lobby (Orquidea) offers the widest variety and is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Make your reservations for the "specialty" restaurants as soon as possible at the Public Relations office - if possible, ask to speak to James. He speaks English and is very entertaining.
POOLS: All of the pools are very clean and beautiful. If you prefer peace and quiet, go to one of the two smaller pools in the center of the complex - although they will likely become more crowded once the new construction is completed. The main pool by the beach (actually 3 separate pools) is very crowded and noisy. The specials offered at each of the swim-up bars change daily and each bartender has his/her own way of making drinks. If you like the way a certain bartender makes your drink, tip them a dollar or two and you'll consistently have your drinks made the way you like them and you'll never have to wait for a refill.
ACTIVITIES: The animation team does a great job trying to keep everyone entertained. Daily poolside/beach activities start at 10 am and finish at 5 pm with a tropical dance lesson. The 10 pm shows in the theatre were entertaining. Arrive at the theatre around 9:30 pm and take advantage of the one-on-one dance lessons. We listened to live music and danced in Pueblo Principe and went to the disco one night. We also enjoyed the banana boat ride, parasailing, and the all-day Jeep Tour (all extra).

We had an excellent time and I would definitely like to go back. I'd be happy to elaborate or answer your questions if you e-mail me; just please reference Bahia Principe in the subject line so I don't think it's spam and delete it."

• Travel date: Sun 15th of August 2004

Had a Great Time - very few disappiontments

Good

"We had a really fun time. Just returned last night. We traveled with our 3 children - 15,8 & 5 and another couple & their 3. Here is my advice - FOOD: MEN BRING LONG PANTS - Pants for men are required at all the resturants for dinner. The food was better than many resorts Ive been to (last stay was at the Melia Tropical Punta Cana). Orqueda Buffet has the best breakfast. Dinner was good at Japanese & mexican or Orqueda buffet - they have a different theme each night and lots of choices. Steak place was ok, did not like the seafood place and Im a seafood lover, breakfast at The Pescador - yuk!. ROOMS: Very nice, ample space for a family of 5 - 2 double beds and day bed. Very nice bathrooms. Our maid was great, fresh flowers all around the room daily, mini bar stocked up. Our friends room however did not get made up most days until 5 or 6 pm and no flowers. I'd recommend requesting building 1 to 7 or 23 - 25 these buildings are closest to the beach, big pool with snack bar near it and bathrooms.
POOLS: The two center pools are not busy at all but we perferred the big pool near the beach. This pool also had all the activities. The only prob with the pools is they dont have enough people working the swim up bar - one bartender - so it took awhile to get drinks. You dont need to bring along towels they give you towel cards. Blow up Rafts are allowed in the pools. BEACH: The beach was nice. The sand wasnt as free of seaweed as some other islands, but just as nice as anywhere else in Punta Cana. Water is beautiful and calm. My family had fun on the banana boat and boogie boarding was gentle enough for even my 5 year old. We took the Outback Safari trip to see more of how people live in the dominican and it was interesting. SHOPPING: The market place has lots of stores but look around prices vary greatly, on the beach if you walk to you r left there are huts and you can get some good deals there by bargining. A man who calls himself "El Cheapo" down at the end has the best prices - T-shirts for $5, etc. SHOWS: We enjoyed all of them but one. There is a different show each night. The kids enjoyed them as well.
We really had a great time and were nervous as to what to expect. Just go realizing you are in a 3rd world country so brush up on your spanish and the place is new and improving and you are going to have a fabulous time!"

• Travel date: Tue 10th of August 2004

Beautiful country/ hotel.. not so great food

Good

"This was my FIRST all inclusive vacation. The hotel staff was WONDERFUL, POLITE, HELPFUL, HAPPY, AND JUST PLAIN TERRIFIC. The beach was like nothing I have ever seen , the pools and the area around were spotless, in the early moring ( if you were awake !) the grounds keepers were out and cleaning and watering and gardening, the pool staff was always around making sure the pools were clean. ( water was warm but clean !) The food.. well.. the mexican resturant was TOPS, I mean how can you complain when you sit down and there is miss margarita herself already on your table!!! The food there was EXCELLENT.. I could have eaten there all 7 nights.. the Buffet was ok the first night/ but then it got a little borning.. you are there for Breakfast/ lunch and for dinner, if you dont have reservations at a "themed resturant".. This only being able to go to 3 resturants is kinda crazy.. let people eat what they want...We pay for it.. The drinks.. I had to tell them to slow down!!! they stock the mini bar every day with Beer, water and soda.. I really had a wonderful time.. Bring sunscreen/ american dollars/ a small colaspable cooler to bring your beer to the beach in the AM.
the nightlife leaves a little to be desired, this aint Vegas!!! I know I"ll be going back SOON!!!!!!!"

• Travel date: Sun 8th of August 2004

very nice hotel

"We stayed at the Bahia Principe for a fortnight (room 4211) until the end of July 2004. Everything was first class and I would recommend this hotel to anyone for a relaxing vacation. There was absolutely no problem with food. In some cases drinks could be better. The staff is friendly and dominicans are nice, outgoing people. People from USA. please keep in mind that the rest of the world is not USA territory in wide sense so it's YOU that should adapt to dominican language and habits and not them. Wear your smile and go there, it's marvellous and the beach is one of the best."

• Travel date: Wed 4th of August 2004

As expected

Good

"We (me, wife and son) arrived last week from Punta Cana. To evaluate Bahia Principe we consider four major items: 1) Environment (room, gardens, overall look) 5* 2) Pools, Beach 5* 3) Food 4* (we didn´t like the three pre reservation rests but the big buffet was very good) 4) Drinks 3*. Two recomendations - go for the "safari" to learn about the country and the people and be careful when shopping - you can buy whatever you want for at least half of the price the vendor ask you."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of August 2004

loved the bahia principe

Good

"Just returned from the Bahia Principe in Punta Cana. What a wonderful time we had. Went with another couple. no one got sick. Food was good for an AI, speciality restaurants were good also. People were friendly,spoke some english enough to get by and we didn't speak hardly any spanish. Shows were corny, but entertaining, if you want Las Vegas go to Las Vegas. The entertainers work very hard and are very talented. There is a casino on the property, alittle town of shops which by the way is very reasonable for gifts. They were only a few cents more than the vendors on the beach. We stayed near the pool in villa 21201 and it was very convenient if you are beach and pool lovers. Would definitely return, even with the vegitation still being in a young stage the hotel is beautiful."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of July 2004

A beautiful resort

Good

"We traveled as a group and had two rooms, it was a fiftieth birthday present for my brother in-law. Originally we were to stay at the Ocean Bavaro Beach Resort and having just read those reviews we are glad to have been transferred to the Bahia. Once we arrived at the Bahia our worries quickly dissipated. Check in was prompt, the service for the entire stay was excellent, the massage was wonderful and the special care for my brother in-law's cake, etc. put a nice touch to the long weekend. Yahaira at public relations put a wonderful face on a good resort. We did have a problem with the plumbing in one room but the hotel staff quickly addressed the issue and reminded us that the hotel had just opened and they were still working out some of the kinks."

• Travel date: Tue 27th of July 2004

***!!! Great Time had by all!!!***

"We just returned from the Bahia yesterday July 21st. We had a 21 and 22 year olds with us (young men) neither wanted to come back home. They tried to figure a way to make money and stay in the DR because they fell in love with the people and the resort. I worried about the trip before we left, even to the point of calling my travel agent two days before to change our Hotel. I am sooooo glad we didn't change. Our room was wonderful, the resort is beautiful and the people were so helpful and friendly they couldn't do enough for us ( and we don't tip till the last day we have always done that and never are treated differently because we don't tip the first day.) I tip because the service or food is good,not to get good service or food. (just my way) anyway, back to the resort, I can't think of anything bad except the wine. we didn't like it. but we don't drink a lot of wine, the shows were the usual resort shows but as the previous post said, my Lord people this isn't Vegas, the dancers, I should wish I was in such good shape, the animation teams are awsome, they are friendly and helpful, always willing to play or sit and talk (yes some do speak english, some do not) My husband speaks spanish so I had it a bit easier than some of the previous travelers. we went to the Mikado (Japanese) I don't eat Japanese food but this was great! My boy's loved it, they eat it in Dallas all the time. The Mexican, was good, the chinola margarita's were wonderful, I can't think of anything bad, yes if you are looking for lots of crazy fun don't go there it is relaxing and beautiful and very classie, I hope we will beable to afford to go when it is open completely. I could go on but if you want to email me please do. If you go with the attitude that we are guest in there country and no they don't have to speak english we are visiting them in there land so get over yourselves and follow the the Dominican point of view "NO PROBLEM!" and you will have no problem. Right now if you want a Wild Disco, or Vegas type shows don't go. But if you want to have a relaxing time and be treated like a King or Queen. Go, go with a smile and good attitude and all will be good! In fact the words of one of the younger traveler in our group, (" he recommends it, he recommends it, he recommends, in fact if you need a guide or a traveling companion, he will volunteer, just give him time to clear his schedule. LOL) Hope this helps. (PS: by all means take sun screen, I got burned) Mosquito's are bad but I used the stuff you can order with the 30 degree protection and with Mosquito stuff in it and it was great. (don't know if I can say who I ordered it from) but that stuff works great. Have fun, let me know if you need any additional information."

• Travel date: Wed 21st of July 2004

Fantastic Review

"Hello everyone,
So if you would like to read a very in depth review about this hotel lease go over and check out my latest blog post:

• Travel date: Sat 6th of February 2016

rudest staff

"Think twice before booking this hotel. The staff were utterly appalling. Rude doesn't even come close to describing them. Book this hotel if you want to be ignored and have no service at all. Total waste of money. Might as well of wiped my backside with the money instead"

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of May 2013

Hotels near Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro

Stayed at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro

• clare glazz by clare glazz

"take the helidoser (helicopter) ride its expensive but brill "

• johnson-cole by johnson-cole

"If you have not been you need to go. "

• johnson-cole by johnson-cole

"All the restaurants were great "

• Silvia by Silvia

"The resort is beautiful, the people that works there need a better personality "

• sunnyboy5 by sunnyboy5

"get a flight back home "

Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro is also called