About Club Med Punta Cana

• babysitting
  • adult pool

Great place to stay!

Reviewed Thu 28th of July 2016

"I wished I could of stayed forever... If you're planning for 3 days go for at least 5, you won't regret it. That has to be the best tip I can give. After my 4 days down there I did not want to leave. :/
I booked several Punta Cana Excursions here as well."

• Travel date: Sat 9th of July 2016

Best beach in that region. Swimming Poo...

Reviewed Fri 18th of November 2005

"Best beach in that region.

Swimming Pools - just amazing, the main pool has a gentle slope into it with an unusual island in the centre + a swim up bar. There was also another large pool + two smaller ones (including and adult only area). The Lazy River is great fun for all ages. There were also two Water Flumes but we weren't quite brave enough to try these, perhaps next time.

Kidz Club - This is run by the hotel and I cannot praise it enough. Our little boy usually prefers to stay with us but he enjoyed every moment of the times he chose to attend.

Although this hotel is located on the Atlantic side of the island the tropical scenery is stunning. The beach was kept constantly clean by the hotel but we were quite happy using the pools. We hired a car for a few days and visited the more popular northern part of the island but found this had become far more commercial than on our last visit to the island 8 years ago.

This hotel suited us wonderfully and if all goes well I hope to return in the not too distant future.

For 8 people in my group we get also 7% discount in the summer peak time!

• Travel date: Fri 18th of November 2005

This was probably the most customer focu...

Reviewed Wed 31st of August 2005

"This was probably the most customer focused company we have ever travelled with. Absolutely no problems throughout the whole holiday, which meant we could just relax, take in the scenery & enjoy ourselves!

We went for just a week & if we could have, we would have stayed for two. This was the first Clubmed holiday we have been on & the facilities & standard of accommodation are outstanding.

The 'village' is just that, with it's own mini roads/walkways & hundreds of workers, gardeners & cleaners attending to every inch of the grounds. Nothing was out of place & all of the facilities & activities were available, even in the low season. These included windsurfing, kayaking, sailing, snorkelling, gym, aerobics, aqua-aerobics, cardio-Thai-boxing, yoga, patanque, volleyball, archery, circus school, tennis, dance lessons, kids club, two restaurants, snack bar, pool bar, nightclub, laundry facilities, massage parlour, water polo, fishing & probably some we didn’t see!

All of the staff were amazing. Picked from various parts of the world & selected for their expertise in their chosen field. Able to speak at least two languages, Spanish & French although we found that nearly all could speak English, (they wear a badge with their name plus a flag for each language). Not bad for a French owned company! All the staff had personalities too, all very friendly & genuine from the guys on the beach to the cleaners, waiters, chefs & reception. I think everyone on reception could speak four languages as a minimum requirement.

When we arrived, we were taken, by 'stretched golf-cart' to the reception area, where we were given a welcome cocktail & then driven to our room. Great stuff!

The rooms were great too, huge & with a living room area, TV, air conditioning, massive double bed, separate toilet & a shower room. The rooms were cleaned everyday to a very high standard, clean sheets & towels too. The room is powered by your key card, although the air-con stays on regardless.

The restaurants & dining areas were immaculate & absolutely huge! There were only about 250 guests while we were there, in the height of the season this goes up to 1600, so the restaurants have to accommodate everyone! The staff eat at the same time as everyone else & they have to mingle with guests & ask to sit with you while eating. We found this was fine, as most the time we sat with the guys from the watersports, where we spent most of our time! The only occasion we thought this was a little annoying was when we were sat with other guests, who could not speak English, in which case we just sat in silence. This only happened once as I asked to be sat on a different table each time afterwards, with no problems.

The food on offer was the most vast I’ve ever seen. Everything delicious. There were themed nights, Dominican, Italian, Caribbean, Oriental & so on. When you walk in, you are greeted by a friendly waiter/waitress who shows you to a table. Their only other job is to collect plates once you’ve finished, as it's all help-yourself! The choice of dishes was so fantastic, you have to walk around the 50+ choices & decide what you want before taking a plate! There are exotic dishes, although for children & the less adventurous there’s always chicken nuggets, burgers, chips, sausages etc. The chefs are also selected from around the globe & are all highly skilled at what they do.

The snack bar was also very good, serving croissants, burgers, hot dogs, nachos etc, cooked on the spot for you, although we never used it because we’d eaten so well at lunch & breakfast!

The snorkelling was good, we did the trip twice. It wasn’t quite as scenic as Maldives, but hey, you try snorkelling in Bognor...!

The sea was like getting into a luke warm bath, crystal clear. There is a small shipwreck about 500m from the beach. We were told that this landed itself in about 1972, then a hurricane brought it closer to the beach & split it in half. Very unusual but makes for excellent scenery from the beach, & particularly from the Hispaniola restaurant.

We tried all the watersports, sailing, windsurfing & kayaking. You have a lesson for each one before you are allowed to just turn up & go. There is a speedboat, manned all day, just in case you drift off too far! This makes you feel very safe.

I would definitely recommend going here in the low season, as I can imagine it would be mayhem trying to arrange to do watersports & other activities with over 1600 people here. Plus, although its their wet season, we only had 10 minutes of light drizzle, which cleared up with some fantastic sunshine. The rest of the week was very hot & sunny!

Would I go back? Well, I think that’s obviously a yes! Most definitely. I would not have changed a thing, fantastic holiday!"

• Travel date: Wed 31st of August 2005

Wonderful family resort

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"My family just returned from a one-week vacation in Punta Cana and we are sad to be home! Everything, from Punta Cana’s thatched roof airport to the warm weather to the sand beach, was absolutely beautiful. It was a very international environment, with many French, American, and Canadian guests, and the resort is excellent for families.

ACTIVITIES: You will never be bored at this resort. There is the choice of staying on-site to do: windsurfing, kayaking, sailing, archery, beach volleyball, aerobics, swimming, tennis, soccer, basketball, dance lessons, and much more. Off-site scuba diving and excursions are available. They offer tennis lessons every morning and competitions in the afternoon, which my 17 year old daughter really enjoyed. Lessons are offered for some of the activities (windsurfing, sailing, dancing), and all of the instructors are kind and helpful. There are dance lessons twice a day and the G.O.s and guests get together to dance around 9:00 every night. My 10 year old daughter went to the mini club med everyday from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM and my 17 year old participated in the teen club at her leisure.

SERVICE: All of the G.O.’s that my family interacted with were extremely friendly and energetic. The G.O.’s put on small shows (“Animations”) throughout the day and one longer show at around 9:30 at night, in the theater. The grounds are very well maintained, employees are always trimming trees or collecting coconuts. There are security guards everywhere and we always felt safe letting our daughters run around. The housekeeping staff was very thorough and our rooms were always clean.

FOOD: There are two restaurants: the Samana and the Hispanola. The Samana is indoors and a few steps away from the Hispanola, which is located right next to the beach and has beautiful views. The restaurants offer a different theme every night (i.e. Tex Mex, Italian, International, Island, Dominican, Asian) and there are some basic foods served at every meal. The mangoes are amazing, as are the milkshakes in the morning and some of the other authentic island foods. One of the best aspects of the meals was being randomly placed with the other families. We were able to meet people from around the world. Though the resort has a majority of French guests, most of them speak English as well. If you get hungry between meals, there is a beach-side snack bar. On top of all this food, there are 2 bars that offer premium beverages. The beach side bar is open until the disco closes, which is around 3 AM.

Basically, my family had a WONDERFUL time and we can’t wait to go next year! Also, definitely use Bay Club Travel and request to stay in Colon (closest to the center of the resort)."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of August 2004

something beautiful

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2012

"It was a nice time in Punta Cana,the landscape was magic, some interesting activities like playing tennis and kayaking (thanks to edgar the incredible kayaking GO)
But the most interseting thing is to sunbathe, beautiful beach, beautiful water during all the time. I had a very nice time there. There are very few people between 20 and 30 years old.
The disco is awfull and The Dj this year was the worst i have ever seen.
the food is very different, a lot of things to try. But it s not rare to have a stomach sickness.
But finally i had a very kind week there.
Jo."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of July 2004

Very good family Club

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"Just got back and have to say this Club was pretty good overall but with some highs and lows. Have been to a variety of clubs before but this was the first visit to a designated family site. Since my last visit about 10 years ago I would have to say the food was OK, but a bit disappointing. Expected better. Baked goods/pastries were extraordinary. Some of the featured specials were excellent, but some not so hot. For example, we tried the Asian night specials and found the food to be essentially inedible. Went to the other restaurant for the couscous feature and it was fabulous. Ample basic courses and standards (e.g., roast chicken) at every meal. As usual, always a variety of pastas with and without sauces, pizzas, burgers, dogs. Great salad bars. Do recommend going earlier in the meal hours rather than later. Great snack bar when restaurants were closed. Great breakfasts.

Found the rooms awfully small for the price (125 sq ft) but our superior suite was perfectly tolerable for 2 adults plus an 8 and 11 year old. Very clean, decent view of the water. Highly recommend the Cortes building for good access to the main pool and patio bar, theater and dining area, but still quiet.

Kids club staff varied widely. Our 8 year old had fantastic GO's and had a great time every day although she was on the young end of the age group (8-10). The 11 year old boy had a harder time. GO's were not so hot with English, one of them was a real sour puss who admitted she did not really want to be there. Did not follow the stated schedule every day and some activities were missed because our son could not find the group where they were supposed to be.

Circus experience for both the kids was very good. Never enough balls for ping pong. No decent instruction for archery.

The all-inclusive open bar is great if you want to drink, with self-service soda machines and lots of non-alcoholic beverages for kids and grown-ups. Bottles of cold spring water anytime you want. Not impressed with the bar staff expertise. Very friendly, but never got the same marguerita or pina colada twice. You would think that they ought to be able to do two resort basics without screwing them up.

Main pool was big, clean and very enjoyable. Plenty of chairs. Good assortment of water aerobics (aqua gym), power walk, Tae-bo, dance and aerobics instruction everyday.

Main shows were not all that great. Very European in flavor. We were there for the big July 14th celebration which they of course did well. However, I question having a theme for a family show of Paris night clubs with a skit involving prostitutes and simulated sex.

Weather was pretty decent with occasional evening showers. Golf course 5 minutes down the road was in exceptional shape. Really enjoyed the course. $102 for 18 + tip for the range ball boy + $12 (+tip) for a caddy which was optional. At 8:00 AM had the course almost to myself and twice got around in under 3 hours.

Overall, pretty decent although not as good as the clubs I remember from 10 years ago. Generally very good for a family vacation. Would I recommend it? Yes, but would look hard first at Sandpiper Club 1st, Ixtapa last. Remember, it is a French owned resort, catering first to Europeans, then to Americans. You will feel welcome, but if bi-lingual announcements and accented English annoy you, go somewhere else.

And by the way, DEFINITELY use Bayclubtravel. As advertised, you book your best Club Med deal but do not pay, put it on a 48 hour hold. Then, with confirmation # in hand, call Bay Club and they take your file direct from Club Med and take %10 off whatever price you had. You pay them. No tricks, no surprises."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of July 2004

Nice family paradise

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2012

"I would definitely recommend this wonderful resort as a place to go for a family vacation! I have two boys, ages 10 and 13 and they found a group of 13 and 10 year olds to run around with. They did not really use the kids club. My 10 year old did not enjoy his one day with the 8 - 10 year olds saying there was too much time organizing and arranging and not enough action. They both loved the circus lessons and the games in the pool. From a mom's point of view: Take walkie talkies. My kids kept in touch with me that way all day long. I felt better about their running around that way. I took a roll of twine so that I could hang wet stuff on the balcony and an umbrella was useful during a late afternoon rainstorm. The GOs were lovely, helpful and friendly.

There are women lazing by the pool without tops. Prepare your children for that. It is commonplace after a while, but a shock at first.

I played a lot of tennis and that was a great way to meet people and have an activity that was for me. THey have tournaments at 4:30 daily and all abilities can do that. Friday is the family tournament and we had fun with that one.

We had a very long walk from our room to the lobby/pool area, but the trade-off is that the farther away you are, the newer the facility and our room was much nicer than some of the ones closer in. We had more space, a bigger closet and a nicer bathroom. We really enjoyed the accomodations."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of July 2004

Fabulous!

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"After doing an extensive search for family vacations, the Club Med in Punta Cana came up with rave reviews everywhere.

The weather was fantastic during our stay over the 4th of July . . . hot! However with plenty of sunscreen (bring SPF 50 and a hat!), off-shore breezes and sparkling clear ocean water and pool there was no room for dissatisfaction. We found it coolest on the beach where the kayaking and snorkeling huts are.

Our kids (14 and 11) decided to pick and choose their activities versus attend the camps. They had alot of fun anyway . . . snorkeling, learning the trapeze, windsurfing, playing tennis, kayaking and swimming.

For an additional fee, there are several day-long excursions to choose from daily. We chose not to participate, but they looked interesting. My husband and son did take in a round of golf at the Punta Cana Club early one morning. It was a 5 minute cab ride from the resort. The scenery there was breathtaking and the staff was very courteous.

The food at the resort was pretty good in the long run. There is, however, only so much buffet one can tolerate. My stomach and my husband's got funky toward the end of our stay, even taking acidophilus. The only thing we had in common to eat/drink was the coffee and wine, which we think contributed to our tummyaches. Tex-Mex night was the best. Fresh cooked pasta dishes were next in running.

I have to agree with another reviewer about getting a room in Ovando or Colon. Luckily, with a request through our travel agent, we got in Ovando. We didn't hear any neighbors above or below us or any of the activities happening during the evening. We were very grateful for the air conditioning, too.

We felt alittle overwhelmed when we first arrived because of all the activity happening around us. The G.O's we met were nice right from reception to the bar. The people we met, mostly from France and Canada, were friendly.

There was plenty to do at night. The resort was always hopping and the nightly shows were entertaining. The one the kids performed in was the best.

All in all, we had a great time and it really, really is beautiful there."

• Travel date: Sat 17th of July 2004

Great trip for the Whole Family

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"Our trip to Club Med Punta Cana was a very enjoyable vacation for everyone.

This was a trip that you could really enjoy with the kids. The mini-club (for ages 4-13) and the petite-club (Ages 2-3) did an exceptional job having fun with and caring for the kids by giving them plenty of activities to keep them occupied. My six year old had blast learning everything from archery, doing the trapeze at the circus, having tug of war contests, treasure hunts, playing tennis, kayaking,
sailing with the GO's (gracious organizers who lead all the activities and events) and snorkeling (with his own snorkel since it was supposed to be for ages 8 and up).

My 3 yr old, though, was a bit less enthusiastic by the petite club activities. Unfortunately, for the 2-3 year olds, they were only allowed to play tennis, swim, play outdoor games, play in the kiddie enclosure with safe toy cars and do projects indoors, etc...One day she decided not to even go to the club. Which was lucky for us, since some parents complained that their 2 or 3 year old refused to go the whole week! It was also an extra fee for the petite club. But she absolutely adored one of the G.O.'s who did his best to keep her happy and listen to her concerns.

She also loved to swim in the huge swimming pool, half of which she was able to stand with her head above water. For a beginning swimmer, that was perfect for her to splash into the water and be able to stand back up for a breath.

As for us, the parents, it was great for us to have the time off from the kids to pursue our own interests with and apart from our spouse. Also, we could choose to have our kids with us none of the day (from 9am-5:30pm and 7:30pm-9pm) or enjoy part of the afternoon swimming with them, since we could pick them up or drop them off at any time of the day (except for naptime). Babysitting for an extra fee from 9pm to 1am was also offered as an extra expense for those wanting to enjoy the nightclub, which was mostly for young teenagers.)

We had time to relax and unwind and enjoy our own activities or just doing nothing by sipping our drinks, lying on the beach and being cooled by the ocean breeze.

The highlight for us was that the kids performed in one of the nightly kid shows. That was by far the largest audience since the kids from each age group involved in the kid's club were led by GO's in an entertaining show. Each kid was given his moment of glory and everyone could see in their faces how thrilled they were to be a part of it. There was also one for the older kids and parents.

As for the G.O.'s, the lively and friendly bunch, they really made the trip memorable with their hospitality and encouragement to join into the events. My kids had a blast dancing with them up on stage and interacting with them throughout the
day and when they joined us sometimes at mealtimes.

The one downside for me was the scuba diving. To reiterate what another fellow Punta Canan with whom I dove said, the diving was pretty disappointing. The reef was very cut up and sandy, the corals sparse and the fish population quite small. My son and daughter were very excited to see the sandfish within a few feet from the shoreline, nonetheless.

All in all, the trip was a great success. We all had fun and were able to spend quality time with eachother as well time alone to recharge and relax. Two thumbs up for a fantastic vacation!"

• Travel date: Fri 16th of July 2004

Club Med's still fun, the diving is bad.

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"Had a great time at CM. They are geared for the 40-60 crowd now. We had our 2 teens (15 & 17) with us. They had fun at the weekly tournaments and my daughter had fun at the disco, which seemed to be full of teens into the late night. There are more women doing yoga every morning and men playing darts or bocce ball than there were with the water sports. The resort is huge and we did a lot of walking. It never seemed too crowded. I saw little kids once in awhile with the Kids Club, there must’ve been about 100 kids and at least 12 GO’s (counselors) for them.
DIVING: Dominican Republic is not known for its diving. My husband went anyway and reported that it wasn’t good- the reef is pretty much dead, there’s not much color, there’s some stingrays but not much fish. The water is shallow, 30’.
ENTERTAINMENT: It hasn’t changed; it’s slapstick, laugh at yourself kind of humor. We got picked for a dance number for GM night, which is kind of funny, considering I was lying on the beach one afternoon doing nothing and convinced my husband to take a merengue/bachata lesson because we haven’t danced in ages. It’s hilarious being on stage.
PHOTOGRAPHER: My daughter signed up for a photo shoot one day and had fun with modeling poses, with beach, palm trees or pool in the background. They can also do family shots and you can make an appointment so they get you at your best. The photos were good quality. I wished we had done a family picture.
OVERALL: During the delay at Punta Cana airport, I got to talk to quite a few people about their resort in PC or Bavaro(about 25 mins. away) and I think CM had the prettiest beach and the most fun people working there. It was the right choice."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of July 2004

Paridise

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"This was my 7th club med trip and again I was not dissappointed. Club med rooms are not plush, but functional, hey you mostly there to shower or sleep. If you are prepared for the Hilton you will be dissappointed. First time we ever had a TV in our room at Club Med, the kids would watch it to wind down in the evening. This is one of the largest clubs but didn't feel like it. No long waits for drinks at the bar or at the restaurants. Drinks were if anything too strong at times, had to ask for weaker drinks. The staff was all very friendly and professional. The rooms were definetly set up with families in mind one room with king bed and separate area with two twin beds. The club is big and we faxed ahead and requested a room in one of the closer buildings. The closer buildings are Ovando and Colon, Colon was closed for remodeling. The pool is big and sprawling, water was almost too warm, but how can you control the sun. The ocean is so calm and perfect for kids to play in, no surf, it just laps up to shore. Yes topless sunbathing is allowed but it was not the norm. The resort is less than 6 min from the airport. I kept checking weather.com before my trip and was worried what I was reading. I didn't need to worry, the weather was great.
We found the few days it was overcast welcoming form the blaring hot sun and humidity. Thunder and lightening storms and some rain briefly at night but it didnt' hamper activities. Actually coming from California where we don't get much of that we all enjoyed nature's show.

The shows were about the same as at all Club Meds. Didn't really get into it. Also the open air theater the shows are in is very nice but it gets so hot in there, they need fans or something to circulate the air.

The food was what I expected plentiful and good. We all loved the mango at lunch and dinner. Lunch seemed to be the most bland of the meals except for the noodle bar and curry bar they had on two of the days. You picked sauce and topping and the chef created your own personal stir fry or curry.

Five of the eight of us had varying degree of stomach upset, my husband the worse. He was down for the count for almost one day. One GO on my last trip recommeded eating a serving of white rice at every meal to keep your stomach okay. I did this but still had some problems. Would I not go back because of this, no way. I sort of expected it. All the kids except for the more adventerous eater didn't have any problems.

Also it is so humid there that several people including us had trouble getting our camcorders to work. They eventally did after the condensation dried out. We brought those walkie talkie like things, as I said earlier the resort is so spread out that if someone is going back to the room and you forgot to tell them to get something you have a way of reaching them. Or if you are trying to meet up with a family member who did a different activity the walkie talkies made things easier. Bring lots of plastic bags to pack damp/wet clothes in when you leave. Things take forever to dry there even on the patio.

I was very sad to leave. Am already thinking of my next trip back."

• Travel date: Tue 29th of June 2004

you can relax or party, it's up to you!

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"I returned on May 1st from a great week in Punta Cana. I'm 25, went with 2 friends (my age) and have been down south before. Overall I had a wonderful time. We had a big room (meant for 3 people), was always clean and its great that the toilet is seperate from the bath when you share a room with others. The food gave a pretty good variety.....but you just have to make sure not to try everything at lunchtime or else you will get sick of the food. I enjoyed the theme dinners at supper. At first, I did not like being seated with strangers, but after a couple of days, we started talking to the people sitting with us and I found it was a great way to meet others. We had an advantage that we are bilingual, so we were able to speak to Americans and well as Europeans.

The drinks-excellent...nice to see brand name booze down south.

The entertainment in the lobby bar was fun at night....didn't make it to most shows since we ate late most of the time, but the ones we saw were well done.

The beach was nice but I wish there was music playing on there. I would go to the pool in the late afternoon just to listen to music (the pool was gorgeous but I went down south for the beach!).

The activities were all great, as were the GOs, the only thing I was disapointed in was that most GOs were not dominican.....so I spent my whole vacation speaking french and english 99% of the time, but I really wanted to brush up on my spanish.

The club on the beach was fabulous....dead on saturday since most arrive from europe on that night, but it gets busier as the week progresses. The DJ was fabulous and drinks and snacks were great. I was hoping to see guests my age, but the only ones who were my age were the GOs. It's ok though....had fun with them.

Overall, a great vacation....I relaxed when I wanted to, joined activities when I wanted to and partied when I wanted to........good times!!!

This is by no means a party resort if you're looking for a happening crowd.....you would need to try club med Turks or Cancun for that, but they took such good care of the kids here, that they weren't screaming in my face during my whole vacation.....so it wasn't so bad having them around."

• Travel date: Sat 19th of June 2004

Hotels near Club Med Punta Cana

Top traveller tips for Club Med Punta Cana

• jimweb43 by jimweb43

"Just enjoy it as much as you can! "

Club Med Punta Cana is also called