amazing place

Reviewed Fri 27th of July 2012

"amazing place if you need rest and luxury holidays! I booked with Directline-holidays.co.uk - good travel agent with friendly staff! Highly recommended! We went for few trips and also we did a spa day which was amazing best massage ever! Food and drinks to die for!"

• Travel date: Fri 27th of July 2012

Bad and Good

Reviewed Wed 17th of October 2012

"My husband and I arrived, along with another couple in Punta Cana on April 17th, hoping that none of the reviews we had read were true!! We went to check into the Palace to find out that we did not have a room. Reception first tried to tell us that it was because our travel agent booked our hotel incorrectly and that we booked the Beach, it was not the hotels fault. After about ten minutes, the hotel rep came to meet us letting us know that we WERE booked at the Palace, but because other guests decided to stay longer, we were being "bumped" to the Beach Resort. We were taken to the Beach, given a room that was already occupied by another couple and then given a new room, where the patio doors would not lock. Overall, the check in time took approximately 3 1/2 hours!! Now about the hotel, the resort complex is beautiful with many restaurant to choose from. The buffets are very questionable, I am not sure how fresh the food is plus the food is not kept very cold. The Italian and Seafood restaurants are very good and the Steakhouse and Mexican are just okay. My husband and I lived on Immodium for the entire week in order to be able to leave our bathroom and enjoy the resort. The French restaurant is totally worth the extra money, no complaints.As for trips outside of the park, we went on the Bavaro Runner and it was a blast, well worth the money - we got to see the country side, visit the sugar cane fields, a farm and have lunch at a ranch. We also went to Manati Park and swam with the dolphins for all of maybe 5 minutes - a big disappointment. The park was okay but we missed most of the shows while waiting our turn to swim.Lastly, make sure that all your belongings are locked up in the safe that is provided. Our friends left some things in a locked suitcase which was then broken into. When we went to notify Public relations and our travel rep about the theft we found out that theft happens alot on the resort but is kept very quiet and the Resort does nothing about it.Overall, Palace if they do not bump you to the Beach, Garden, Casino, Villas (very terrible), or Golf Resorts!!!"

• Travel date: Fri 25th of April 2003

Beautiful beach

Reviewed Tue 16th of October 2012

"My boyfriend and I just returned from an eight day trip to the palace. It turned into a six day trip because of the traveling and delays in each airport. The island is absolutely beautiful. The hotel is very nice and many employees to keep it clean. The room was clean, however smelled of mold. The employees are wonderful and pleasant to the people. We brought lots of singles and tipped the maid and bartenders. They were appreciative. Our biggest dissapointment was the food. When you go on vacation you want to eat more than usual (at least we do). Seeing we were in another country was understandable and we were aware that it would be different. In the buffets, you have to choose the kind of meat you want out of a cooler and they cook it in front of you (slow). It takes a while and is annoying when everyone wants steak and chicken. There are many people crowded around the meat and it can become uncomfortable. We were expecting it to be readily availabe (seeing it was a buffet). Don't forget there is a buffet on the beach (a lot of people were unaware of this)."

• Travel date: Fri 18th of April 2003

This resort is a Treasure!

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"This resort is one of the best vacation spots we have been to and we'll definitely return. The grounds are fabulous, lush vegetation, beautiful flowers & extremely well maintained. The beaches are clean - white sand & beautiful blue & green colours in the water. The Palace is kept extremely tidy - there is never a mess anywhere - even in the washrooms outside by the bars! The food was great in the buffet - always a variety - the waitresses & waiters are courteous & work very hard to make sure you are well looked after. When visiting this country, we MUST keep in mind that Spanish is their first language & many of them speak several other languages including German, French, Italian as well as English. Even if some don't speak perfect English, they will attempt to understand what you are trying to communicate - you can have a good time with them anyway! The rooms are spacious, clean and we never saw any bugs. There is very little insulation in the walls & ceiling so beware that you can hear your neighbours especially if they are noisy. If you want a room away from the pool - try to get into building 4,5 or 6. One side of building 3 is poolside. The Bavaro Runners excursion is lots of fun if you would like to see the Dominican countryside. Overall, it was an enjoyable trip & we highly recommend it."

• Travel date: Tue 15th of April 2003

Good and Bad

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"The hotel was very well maintained and attended to. Food was plentiful but some items were questionalble. The weather was supposed to be at its best but we had rainy days. If you didn't know how to speak or understand Spanish you were at a loss. It was very hard to communicate with the hotel/restaurant staff since most only spoke Spanish. The tours offered were expensive and not worth the money. If you are going to Punta Cana, stay put and relax at your hotel. Do not venture off site."

• Travel date: Mon 14th of April 2003

Great Vacation Destination!

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"My friend and I stayed at the Barcelo Bavaro Palace for a short, 3 night getaway, and that certainly was not enough time. Upon arrival, we were greeted with delicious, tropical welcome drinks. This made the wait to check in much more bearable. The rooms were very nice, and the views are just breathtaking. Although we were there at a very slow time of year, all the restaurants were open, and the staff couldn't try hard enough to please us. They were very accomodating and made sure you were having a wonderful time every. Having the option to go to the other 4 Barcelo hotels and use their restaurants was great. The seafood was excellent. While we didn't go to any of the shows at night, we listened from our balcony, and they sounded phenominal. One piece of advice: if you go to the market that's down the beach from the Barcelo Bavaro Palace, BEWARE! The people working will do anything to make you buy their stuff, and they're much pushier than Jamaica or anyplace else I've ever been. They grab you and pull you over. You're better off not converting your money, but if you do, make sure to do the math in your head before you buy anything. They kept coming down in price until I finally agreed, then later realized I spent $35 on a beaded necklace that should have been about $5. Aside from that, the beach and resort itself are absolutely incredible, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a tropical getaway."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of April 2003

Best vacation ever

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"This is the place to stay if you want to be surrounded by paradise, great friendly staff, and nice rooms. This was our second time to stay at the Palace. Both times were wonderful. No complaints what so ever. This time we had a group of nine adults. Everyone had a great time. Drinks are plentiful and the food is in abundance, but remember to bring your pepto and take a sip every morning. The staff bends over backwards to help out with any needs you may have. Service is excellent. I will be going back again next year. We were there March, 2003, weather was perfect. Went on the shark and manaray snorkle trip and had a great time and experience. I would recommend this resort to anyone who is into beautiful surroundings and relaxing. If you go have a great time."

• Travel date: Sun 6th of April 2003

Never Again

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"Not to belittle the facilities..the rooms were fine, had a very nice oceanview room in Blgd 5. Upon arrival & check-in there were ants literally covering the bathroom sink...we were quickly relocated next door without a hassle. The restaurants were very pleasant and the buffet pretty good. However, we did get some kind of stomach problems the 3rd day there...and no, it wasn't from drinking too much. The property itself is gorgeopus and well manicured. BUT...the staff at the lobby bars & front desk are anything but friendly. If you do not speak Spanish...forget it...they will not try to speak English and look at you like you have just landed from another planet if you try to comunicate in Spanish. The most pleasant, courteous & frienly staff members we encountered during the 8 day stay were the housekeeping ladies. The tennis courts are in horrible shape. The casino is small and also staffed with "who cares if you are here" people.We have satyed at another Barcelo resort, in Playa Del Carmen and it truly was much nicer...especially the staff....much more friendly...smiling & laughing with you as you attempt to speak Spanish & they try to communicate better in English. I would not recommend the Barcelo Palace, but would highly recommend their resort in Playa Del Carmen"

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of April 2003

for your health, bring your own food

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"We had same experience as Canadien reviewer the week of March 22, 2003. Nice facility, great staff... but BEWARE of the food... they warn you about the water, but it ain't enough.... of 30 guests in our group, 20 got sick on the food...Bring CIPRO, you'll need it!"

All got sick

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"A wonderful resort except out of the 6 adults, 5 got sick. So each of us lost a day in bed. One required a trip to resort Doctor for a shot. She was very sick and is still recovering. Beach is great. Pool is clean. Rooms were Ok. Food was OK. Golf was poor. plus its difficult to get a Tee time unless you want to play in the heat of the day. Would not return to Barcelo Bravo Palace. Mexico much better and no illness."

Great vacation in the DR

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"My parents, sister, her boyfriend, my girlfried, and I visited the Dominican Republic from March 6 to 13. We stayed at the Barcelo Bavaro Palace Resort. This resort was wonderful and would absolutely go back. The grounds, beach, rooms, and water were all wonderful and I couldn't imagine anyone complaining about this resort. I am 17 years old and I will tell you now that the disco doesn't get started until around midnight so get some tequilla in you early to keep you awake. There is not much activity at the Palace resort at night for teenagers so you can always go the Barcelo Beach resort. This trip is only about 5 min. by the provided "train." The food was also excellent in my opinion. These other people that are complaining in the other reviews don't understand that you are in a different country and they should respect that. Just because these people don't speak to the workers in Spanish doesn't mean the employees should have to try to speak in English to you! If you just say hola or buenas dias to them you will get a much better attitude from them. Back to the resort, the beach was wonderful and there was plenty of chairs. I suggest to take the Outback Safari tour if you have time. This tour was wonderful and it gives you an idea of how it is to live in the DR. You take a big truck up into the mountains and have a lot of fun. You go to a local home, local school, sugar cane plantation, rum shack, and a beautiful secluded beach. Try very hard to get Tony for your tour guide. He was wonderful and also please tell him hi from all of us in Maryland. We also took a snorkeling tour on a big white party boat. This was a lot of fun because you got to swim with sharks and stingrays. This pretty much sums everything up that I wanted to say. I have been to the DR three times and I would definitly choose Bavaro Palace over all the other resorts. Happy vacationing!!!"

Dissapointed

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"Stayed at Bavaro Beach from 3/2/03 to 3/9/03 with three other couples. Went through Apple Vacations. I did read good and bad reviews before going, and decided to disregard the bad reviews because of the good price available for us. Should have thought about it more. Our rooms were supposed to be upgraded to ocean view and we wound up all the way at the rear of the place where the sanitation waste disposal is located. Not a good smell. Too many people and too many lines. High back chairs not available at the beach unless you are out early. Had to wait in lines at the resturants for dinner most of the time.Food was just fair. Could not communicate with most of the staff. My phone was not working most of the time and not until the day I left for home. Four of the eight people I was with became sick with diarrhea and etc. and one wound up in the hospital for three days with some sort of bacterial infection. Could have been caused by food or water don't really know. I returned home with some sort of rash on both legs. In summary the beach was beautiful along with the whole complex. The weather was gorgious along with the swimming. I realize that we were in another country and that the language is Spanish, and I did not mind the barrier except for the main desk where I would think they could understand more English than they do. They do try hard to make things reasonable for you, but they have a (mucho) long way to go. Do not recommend this place even if the price is right. Like the old saying ,you get what you pay for."

• Travel date: Thu 13th of March 2003

Hotels near Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only

Top traveller tips for Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only

• Georgia W by Georgia W

"loads of sun protection :) "

Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only is also called