The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort

Columbus Torre 1 Playa Cofresi, Puerto Plata 57000 Dominican Republic

2033

Gotta Go

"I work for a major airline and have been more places than I can ever count. The Ramada Hacienda Resort in POP(The airline code for Puerto Plata) was truly one of my most favorite and memorables vacations.Very tropical,tourist friendly and affordable. Of all the places I can choose to go next year, POP is on the top of my relaxation trips."

• Travel date: Sun 17th of August 2003

Nice place

"Where shall I start? Ok from the begging...Hacienda Tropical is around 35mins away from the airport and the coach provided by the hotel was excellet, it had a/c and they had made a real effort to ensure the coach was nice and cool. On arival to the hotel everything seemed quite nice. The hotel greeting us with a "coctail". The reception staff seemed very organised and efficient and also spoke good English. After the porters bringing out luggage to our rooms we where a little dissapointed with the rooms as the ground floor balcony was opposite the main buffet. So after speaking to the staff they moved us to a much more spaciouse room, enough to home 4 people. The rooms where quite basic, although air conditioning was available it was an on and off switch (so you could`nt specify what temp. you wanted) there was also a fan (which was very scary). The people there where generally good natured and helful. Although the downside was that the bar was generly uderstaffed with only 1 person at every bar and the main bar closing at 12 midnight was quite poor. After this time you where forced to purchase your drinks from the "disco" which was near the grill bar. The food generally was nice however found that many people suffered with dodgy tummy`s and dhiorea. It became samish after around 4 days, even though they have a different theme every evening. I found that breakfast was not worth waking up for and that lunch became too samish e.g chicken in curry sause, chicken in peppers, chicke in in butter, etc. etc. They made fresh dishes in front of you although they where limited and became again too samish to stomach. The "grill" bar was good and provided a much needed break from the main buffet, however be sure that the food is over done! The animation staff where very frendly and made the stay there very plesant. A problem which I found was that it was almost impossible to get a place near the swimming pools because of people leaving their towels. However going a bit further down nearer to the beach they have made an almost artificial beach which is seperated from the actual beach. Here there was no problem getting a place to have a rest, although the locals are always pestering you to buy something. Outside the resort there is plenty to do, with a wide circle of activities. We went on the half day city tour wich was vey informative and took you to such places as the rum factory. We also went on the safari which was a really good experience and one which I would highly recommend. Our tour guide Ruddy was really great, so if you get him you`ll be in for a great ride. Nearby there is a new sea sanctury where you have an opperunity to swim with dolphins, this cost around $120. There are 3 pools at the resort. I found them very dirty as did many other people. The beach was OK but really lacked the "paradise" touch. In my book 3 star is just rite but if i had to sway it to 2 or 4 star it would have to be 2. You go on this holiday to rest and get away from it all and during the saty you where, i would`nt say pestered, but hunted down by sales team trying to sell you a time share. This really annoyed me as you have paid good money to get away from all the hassels. They had promised a bottel of rum and a free T-Shirt but this never materialised. I met a few people who had just had enough of the resort and suffered problems of no hot water, air conditioning did`nt work, didrty rooms and even not being able to get into the bath because it was unstable! They then payed around £250 to get upgraded to a new hotel. Overall its a nice place but would hesitate to recommend it as a great place. Its Ok and worthy of its 3 star tag but definately no more. We had a nice time but always found fitfalls when comparing it to our last holiday in Cuba (Sol Club Guillmaro, which was top notch)."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of August 2003

terrible holiday

"a very shabby hotel. food very poor, most people were suffering from tummy bugs by end of first week. furniture in rooms tatty. beds has fleas or bed bugs. security poor. safety in pools very bad one little girl was seriously injured in the pool pump hotel staff did not seem to be concerned about any of the issues. several people including myself sufferred from ear infection from the pools. tour rep only interested in taking money from you for tours and nothing else. this was our 25th wedding anniversary and was supposed to be a holiday to remember for the good reasons but unfortunately it was for the worst type."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of August 2003

Amazing Trip to Punta Cana!!!

"We just got back from an awesome trip to Punta Cana, DR!!! We left monday june 16th, and returned home yesterday, monday june 23rd. We stayed at the Ramada Hacienda Resort, just 45 mins from the Punta Cana airport! Everyone one there was amazing! The entire staff was accomodating and happy and just wonderful! Great evening entertainment, and food! If you're looking for somewhere in the Dominican, right on the beach, then consider the Ramada Hacienda! Wonderful place, food, and people!"

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of June 2003

love the sweet suites

Good

"Hey want to have the time of your life? Try the Hacienda Suites. Sit back and relax during the spring and summer months. During the winter get wild and crazy. I have just returned for the second time since Feb. and enjoyed it so much I need to return again."

• Travel date: Tue 27th of May 2003

Undergoing improvements

"I have recently returned from the Dominican Republic and stayed at the Hacienda Beach resort. I was initially disappointed with the facilities, the room was basic and had a strange odour (musty) Our Air conditioning unit didn't work for the whole two weeks, and we had problems with the hot water for the first two days. There was a delay in refilling the cold water in the tanks in the hall so we had to refill our water bottles at the restaurant.The choice of food was not to my taste and the variety seemed to be lacking. I was disappointed by how many pay bars there were, if you visit the nightclub you have to pay for your drinks there. Family who have been to the Dominican Republic before said that Playa Dorado was a better resort with better rooms and facilities. I will say however that we found all the staff to be friendly and helpful and we had some enjoyable evenings watching the entertainment. The pools were great and we had no problems in general locating a spot b the pool or on the private beach. The Hotel has been acquired by Ramada and as we were there they were beginning a programme of improvements, which were necessary. I have no doubt that in 12 months the resort will be fantastic. I would thoroughly recommend going on the outback safari as you will have the opportunity to visit a school sponsored by the tour company and a real Dominican house to see how they live. We also swam in a local river, visited a pet sanctuary and went boogie boarding. An Excellent day out.As long as you don't pay too much for your holiday I believe that the Hacienda offers value for money and I would class it a 2** currently."

• Travel date: Tue 6th of May 2003

our hacienda holiday Jan7-14 2002(not 4 star)

"well I will start with the possitive. The resort was absolutely beautiful. Most of the staff were very friendly-when tipped or expecting a tip. Be prepared for poor service or no service at all if you do not tip. Our rooms were not cleaned-meaning sandy floors - we were told if we left a tip our florrs would be washed- and yes indeed after we left the maids a tip the floors were wahsed. I refused to leave tips after that- Especially when we we told that tips are included in our all inclusive deal. No hot water at all and during a minor rain fall there was no power- no water. We were lucky to have a/c. But ceiling fan was a bit frightful- feared we would lose our heads. I would have to say the worst part of the whole time was the time share"harrassment" These people stood right on every corner and literally kidnapped my husband and I taking us we later found out to their office. How they got us there was telling us that we get free tshirts and free rum- guess what no rum and no shirts . When we refused to buy timeshare(being on honey moon and our first trip anywhere we barely saved enough money to get here) we were forced to walk back to our resort in the rain. Not a good thing on ur second day there. Every day after that we were harrassed by the same man asking us to buy there ans tellling us the travel agency was ripping us off and that we should have booked through them -the hotel. My husband finally reversed the treatment and started asking him for his free tshirts and Rum. Never the less we never received anything free!! I can remember in the mornign I would look out my window and plan my exit to the beach- anyway I could avoid him. The food was great at the buffet style resturant. The best part of the whole trip had to be the beach-- it was so beutiful- not white sand like i had expected but beutiful none the less. We were not the only ones who had bad service at this hotel!! I hope this honest review helps u decide on ur next tropical vacation"

• Travel date: Mon 24th of March 2003

Wonderful!

Good

"Just returned form the Hacienda Tropical and have to say it was better than I expected in almost every way. The resort was very well laid out, muti-leveled with a lovely view of the ocean. The people (staff) were friendly and helpful and appreciated any attempt we made to speak Spanish. We found the food to be EXCELLENT. I don't know what happened to some of the disgruntled travellers but we found the variety and quality to be first rate, including the two restaurants (Chinese and Italian). The rooms are simple but well maintained and CLEAN. AFter all, I didn't go there to spend a lot of time in my room. There was filtered water available in every section so that you could refill your water bottles. No health problems from anyone we spoke to. Only the nightly entertainment left something to be desired but that is such a small part of the whole experience. I would gladly recommend it to any of my friends."

• Travel date: Sun 16th of March 2003

Want To Go Back Now!!!!!

"Ola - Unbelievable trip...best I've ever had! Where to begin...(do not listen to negative responses from others posted below)...Great Staff!!! $1US tip per day ($7US...gee big money) ensured we had VERY CLEAN room each day, fresh towels, etc. What do you want a clock for? Coffee? All you can drink in the buffet area. TV...you go to the DR to watch TV? (And the guy posted below that he didn't get a remote for the TV, I feel really bad for him).Entertainment team was AWESOME!!!! SOS Amigos....are you alone? Fun activities all day....Tequila Vollyball is great....all staff very friendly!Food.....Fantastic! For a third world country, what do you want??? 12oz strip loin everyday?? Get real. Food was great!!! Fresh fruit, little bit of variety, GREAT DRINKS! Wife loved the bread and desserts! Omelettes in the AM were Fantastic!!!Of course, beach club in the day for burgers etc was available.Resort itself.....CLEAN!!! People cleaning everywhere! Beach was groomed everyday, pool cleaned every morning, went for a walk at 1am once and they were out mopping the walkways!Weather...30+ everyday, no rain, clouds one day for 30 minutes. Truly paradise!!!Day Trips...lots for all to do! The Safari was supposed to be good...we did the Santiago & Jarabacoa trip which was good. Some horseback riding, swimming under a waterfall, tour of cigar factory...long drive though!Remember, the DR is a Third World Country. Beautiful landscape, great friendly people, weather is unbelievable, but they are poor! Be nice to them, you make more in a week than they do in a year!!! (So tip well, what can it hurt)Final result - Definately a 4* hotel! Had the best time and wish I was going back soon....hopefully soon!Adam Wills - Allan : )"

• Travel date: Sat 8th of March 2003

Fantastic Holiday

Good

"Let me just say absolutely fantastic. The resort is beautiful, and lush and green. The service, rooms, food and all were great. If you go on holiday you better be an early riser and find your lounging chair and save your chair with a towel because they fill up quick. You will find a lounging chair later if you are patient. The people are beautiful in appearance and personalities too. I would recommend this resort to anyone. The trip of the cable car, horse back, and catamaran were all worth the money and I would recommend them highly. Whoever reads this next I must say I'm envious as I would have stayed there with no questions asked if I could have found a job. I love Puerto Plata"

• Travel date: Tue 4th of March 2003

"I Went to hacienda tropical when it was called that. it was a great experience for all the family, they had markets of a night time within the resort which we all loved as it was a great chance to get a souvenir for everyone. during the day they had massage's yoga water sports and music plus alcohol so it was something for everyone or if you wanted to sunbathe quietly there's a pool by the reception which is a quiet relaxing. i strongly suggest you don't let your childrem in the hurrican nightclub as it is full of red light district. but apart from that this has got to be the best hotel in the world :) the people there are absolutly fantastic they give me an my sister there necklaces and shorts as a memory but i oubt hey work there now! jody an lorenzo :) tehy were fantastic. i really recommened this hotel for relaxing, partying, tanning and sight seeing :)

I will be goign again this year :)"

• Travel date: Sun 24th of April 2011

fantastic

"A very big thank you to all the staff at the lifestyle hacienda.
A fantastic holiday for us both, A holiday which will not be forgotten for a very long time. Having not done long haul before,we did not know what to expect. It was a holiday a truly amazing holiday one i would personally like to experience again. The trip to Paradise Island is recommended most highly. Once again a big thank you to Thomas Cook for arranging the holiday, and all the staff at the Hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 30th of August 2009

Hotels near The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort

Stayed at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort

• ariopelle by ariopelle

"The "Indochine" Asian Restaurant, Ocean World, Outback Safari and Snorkeling/Wake Board Trips "

• Bill D by Bill D

"Outback Safari was a good experience "

• Laurisa.123 by Laurisa.123

"the blue lagoon and the rum factory "

• ann&grae by ann&grae

" very rocky, not good for children, waves can be very rough and you can loose your footing very easy "

The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort is also called