About Senator Puerto Plata Spa Resort

• kids club
  • tv channel one russia

Multiple Thefts From Rooms & Safes

Reviewed 17th December 2016

"I wouldn't wish any person to stay in this hotel while the management are on the property We had our money stolen from the room and we also know of another 4 people which had their money stolen from the room whilst we were there. When reporting this to the hotel, you have to wait for over an hour to speak with the "so called" Service Manager. Who obviously couldn't care about the service provided on the guest experiences . They try and scare you into even speaking to Rep's, Tourist police etc by saying if you do then the hotel can look to take you to court for falsely accusing someone etc. What made things worse was upon checking out I looked to see if we could negotiate waiving the charge for internet due to the issues. To which I then had to wait for the "so called" Service manager for half hour, to be taken into a room and without a conversation being told he is going to call the police and have my passport confiscated etc. To which I was not entertaining the conversation any further and paid the $35 and informed I would look to share my experience with a review and then be threatened with legal action if I did. Thomson's should look to remove this hotel from their offering as this experience is happening often here according to the Thomson Rep and also the Hotel receptionist and things are not being done about it. The food isn't the best, there is a large offering but there is hundreds of flies everywhere and no-fly zippers etc. Both myself, and partner had stomach issues while there which stopped as soon as we got home so make your own mind up on that. The bar staff and entertainment are all nice and amicable and can't fault them but the overall experience of this hotel I wouldn't recommend anyone to stay here and hope people do not ignore the negative reviews."

• Travel date: 23rd November 2016

not a 4 star platinum whatsoever

Reviewed 22nd June 2016

"This my review after taking stock and back in the UK for a few days, I am writing an honest review which is my opinion and people obviously make their own minds up. The hotel itself is in very pleasant surroundings and most of the staff are extremely friendly and happy go lucky which I have no complaints whatsoever about that. The bar staff is generally the same, however they do tend to favor the cruise ships which turn up regularly and locals that invade at the weekend. The pool bar is a bit strange in the fact that’s it’s used by a lot of children and the other pool mainly used by adults. I would have thought it better the other way around so the kids don’t have to suffer the often very loud and drunk people by the pool bar. I noticed that if you didn’t tip the bar staff at the pool bar you was pretty much right down the pecking order and often ignored for long periods of time. The rooms were decent enough but we had quite a lot of issues with insects and the cleanliness left a lot to be desired. We complained that a roach which we had squashed in the bathroom had not been cleaned and even after complaining it was still there the day we left after 2 weeks. The sheets seemed to be changed randomly and not very often, the cleaners seemed more bothered about making pretty animals out of the towels than actually concentrating on the cleaning. The main restaurant was not air conditioned and did not have any fly zappers and a lot of the food was uncovered. On most days flies were all over the uncovered food and I even found an insect in the rice which put me off straight away. Also there were lots of birds flying in and out picking food of the floor and doing whatever birds do hmmmmm. The cleanliness of the restaurant was a big concern to me, I was amazed that so much food was left uncovered and on a few occasions my cutlery was dirty and I witnessed on of the staff not replacing the dirty cutlery just wrapping it back up in a clean serviette. Now as for the food it was again 3 star standard, excellent choice but very average in taste and also very repetitive. You can book a steak meal in one of the a la carte restaurants which is included in the price, but don’t expect anything special it was very thin and fatty but passable. The Caribbean meal (in the steak house again) was disappointing my wife’s meal was cold and did not look very appetizing. I had the jerk chicken and it was very average. The thing that maddens me about certain all inclusive hotels is that they seem to think average is acceptable, which in my book is not and certainly not for supposed 4 star platinum. The beer was pretty tasteless and I suspect watered down or very low strength, and it would have nice to have more than once choice of beer. The shorts tasted like bleach and I tried them once and after destroying by stomach I left them alone after that. They do serve Smirnoff etc but be warned these are not on display and you have to ask specifically for them as they are hidden away under the counter. (I only found out this by someone who has been there before). The entertainment was pretty terrible, the animation team at night insisted on doing some sort of random dancing shouting the same thing over and over again to some insane techno music in the background. I have no idea what they were supposed to be doing, suffice to say they were a total embarrassment. After the kids club it was usually a duet consisting of a man and woman, keyboard/guitar who seem to alternate every other night (that’s what It seemed like anyway) If you don’t mind listening to singers that churn out the same rubbish every night then you will enjoy them. After the duets, various acts appeared around 930 which were again pretty awful dancers hopelessly out of sync and clueless it seemed. We didn’t stay up late most nights due to this and were not that bothered as we preferred a few drinks on the balcony and up early the next day. The biggest problem was both of us had quite bad stomach problems pretty much the whole time. I complained to the Thomson rep and she logged it. We were not the only ones a large group of 10 people had been going to the hotel for 10 years or so and they all had the same problem and vowed never to go back. I can’t say what caused it but I can only state the facts and since my arrival home the stomach problems have disappeared although I will be having a check up at my GP just to make sure. Finally the most alarming thing I found out was that a Riu manager was sent to the hotel to try and sort out the problems. He was there for our second week and I don’t know if he is still there. We did speak to him about the various problems and I do genuinely think he was trying to sort them out but the big shock for us was when I said to him there is no way this is a 4 star platinum his answer was. “This had been downgraded to a 3 star plus 2 months ago” Sorry Thomson that is totally unacceptable, I booked a 4 star platinum and paid for that not a 3 star. We made the most of the holiday and enjoyed it best we could but I would NEVER go back to this hotel and Thompsons have a lot to answer for. From what I gather from speaking to other guests this hotel used to be very good but has gone down hill significantly. "

• Travel date: 3rd June 2016

Perfect perfect holiday

Reviewed 23rd October 2015

"Me and my partner traveled here between the 12th September 2015 and 24th September 2015. I can honestly say.. This was one of the happiest 2 weeks of our lives! The best thing about the WHOLE experience was the WHOLE experience!! The staff deserve a very special mention because they made it extra perfect and we will never find another hotel again anywhere in the world that has staff like this.(The Machine, Gigi and Mickey Mouse mainly, and the rest who's names we sadly can't remember) They are SOOO funny, so bubbly, so full of life and always make you smile. Yes, they do like to get everyone they can find off their feet and joining in with all the fun activities etc, but you're not contacted to do anything if you don't want too.. they just like seeing everyone having a good time. If you would rather fully relax all holiday and definitely don't want to join in, just let the staff know beforehand and they will not bother you. I used to be the type of person who was really shy, never took part in sports as it just wasn't my thing and never danced in front of people cos this would make me look stupid to everyone! I suffer badly with anxiety and the entire 2 weeks, due to the staff's vibrant attitudes, the perfect environment we was in, and how comfortable my stay at the hotel was, I joined in with everything! I volunteered to go up on stage for a dancing competition, I played water polo, got in a canoe in the pool for a silly, brilliant mini game, did water aerobics, and so many other things! But this only cut into a bit of our holiday, so we had so much time to ourselves to relax, do what we wanted to do, enjoy the beach lots and just have fun. Also the waiting staff in the restaurants are AMAZING! they are always so smiley, and so on their game. They never leave you waiting for drinks, they always refill your glass with water/ or whatever floats your boat from the minute they see an empty glass. They clear plates and make the tables really presentable at all times. Always looks impeccable! As does the entire hotel and the entire beach! Always very clean, and tidy. The food is great in the buffet area, and changes quite a bit every day! But the food in the gourmet restaurants are without a doubt, some of the best food me and my partner have EVER eaten. Definitely recommend the steak restaurant every time it's open as the steak is perfect and everything which compliments it too. (Sauce is brilliant). The Italian is so lovely, and food is just as nice as in the steak restaurant. Caribbean, I didn't eat in there but friends we made there said it was brilliant! So the food is all beautiful. The excursions we did were half great and half not so good. Definitely recommend doing the Royal dolphin Swim at Ocean World because that is an incredible experience (best of my life!!!) and if you want, you can get a video of it and lots of photo's for $100, which is a bargain really. Also, what they don't tell you if you book it in the UK, is that you also get to choose a sea lion encounter or shark and sting ray encounter free to go with the swim, as this is brilliantly also included in your package! The dolphins are so well trained and make you so happy all the time because they're just cute and very clever. Go with the Royal Swim all the way though, definitely worth it! Make sure you do the extreme mega adventure too, and buy the video afterwards. It is incredibly cheap and brilliant quality. The horse riding through the mountains is a great experience, and zip lining is a lovely scenic experience. But the waterfall's are the main experience which are BRILLIANT! You literally jump or slide down waterfalls and its an incredible adrenaline rush. You will remember this well in future! The Outback Safari is a good experience, but if you're going on it expecting to be going round a jungle type area with lots of creatures to witness and hold etc (hence the name outback safari), You will be severely disappointed. It is nothing like this at all! The only creatures you see are in cages, in a very small little outdoor center. There were 2 small crocodiles, some turtles, a couple of crabs, an owl and that was about it. Nothing to hold, just these small beings in cages. The rest of the trip was mostly about plants, walking round learning about plants, trying hot chocolate made by the cocoa beans there, and we were majorly disappointed by this. There is a lovely part of the experience though, where you go into a school and witness the children in their classrooms and it's really interesting! You also get to see inside a Dominican home, which is also very interesting and something to remember. But apart from this, it is not worth the amount we paid for it at all! Towards the end of the excursion, we all went to a beach which was a lovely clear beach, to be fair. But people wouldn't leave us alone to relax and children snorkeling made us feel really uncomfortable by staring at our bums, under the water. So we ended up going on a banana boat instead, which wasn't really worth the money either because we only fell off once. Most of the 2 minute trip was a straight sprint with water spraying in our face. Not worth the aggro. The people in this area are even worse when you're by their shops. They make it a horrible experience because of how much they don't leave you be. Also relaxing on the beach was a HUGE issue too, because lots of people constantly walked up to us asking if we want a massage or other treatments. They didn't listen when we said no, and this really irritated us. Paradise Island, we were especially disappointed with. We were really excited about this one! But from start to finish, it all felt very rushed and we couldn't understand the tour guide too much. He was lovely, but I think you need someone to guide you who can speak proper English on an excursion like this. We got to the speed boats and that was the best part for us. They were fast, fun and bouncy. But the Island itself was nothing like the pictures we'd seen. Yes it was lovely, but the sand was completely covered with water, the staff working there were rude and no one properly explained how to avoid the fire coral if you were going out snorkeling. I got stung badly and I ended up in tears the rest of the trip because I was so frustrated with how painful my burn was, and how unhelpful the staff were. They didn't help at all! I just sat down and spent the rest of the time sitting on the 'beach' being swung from one place to another as the waves were quite strong. Overall, very disappointed and don't recommend paying lots of money, just for the terrible service you will receive. The underwater photos came out quite bad too. Very cloudy and not one good shot! The whole thing just wasn't thought out enough by the staff. We got to enjoy a relaxing small amount of time on another beach which was nice to end the day, but I feel this completely ruined a day of my holiday. We totally fell in love with the Riu Bachata Hotel, and the whole of the Dominican Republic, for it's beauty, it's weather and mainly the happiness of it's people. We are 1 billion % planning to return the minute we can afford another holiday here and until that day, I will be here in the UK being really depressed and sad that I'm not there.. until that day we go back :) DO NOT STAY AT THE OTHER 2 HOTELS ON THE COMPLEX. They seem nice, but the Riu Bachata is much more vibrant, and you will enjoy yourselves much more here in our opinion. Only things I can slate here are: The people who own the shops surrounding the hotel, most of them are EXTREMELY annoying and will not leave you alone until you've gone into their shop to at least look, but even if you demand to them you don't want to buy anything, they will still try and force it on you. To get through this, do what we did when we started learning how to escape the situation.. Just simply ignore them and walk past, or say a blunt NO and tell them to leave you alone until you've found what you're potentially looking for. Otherwise, this may ruin part of your experience. Whilst on the beautiful beach, there are a few people who will walk up to you and offer their services (massages/water sports etc) and can do it quite often, but it's usually the same few people most days, so just be firm with them too and they shouldn't bother you again afterwards. But overall, the hotel and surroundings are so perfect, that this will not bother you much at all really as long as you follow my advice!"

• Travel date: 21st October 2015

We love Riu Bachata , visted many times

Reviewed 4th September 2015

"We love to visit this Hotel , we normally go for 3 weeks at the time ,so we can relax .When we first visited over 10years ago there used to be 3 Hotels fully open Mambo , Meringue , Club Riu Bachata , and if you stayed at the Bachata you could purchase a ticket for 20$ and go in the Departure lounge with drinks before Airplane Departure at Puerta Plata Airport. But now Hotel has lost its Club name , Mambo is now part of Meringue Village and only open for swimming and bar is only open from 10am to 5pm.The Bachata Hotel used to have a snack bar open all day , but now not open , you can get a coffee from machine in there and use restrooms Only open now for Grill Al Carte. We have done most of the tours , so go back now as we enjoy the place and hotel staff , management , man who does tours near restroom says we are part of the family which is nice to hear. We know the Meringue (was Mambo ) only open now say December for a couple of months when the Canadians take their main holiday . How things have changed , we became Riu some time ago to get certain benefits ,"

• Travel date: 28th August 2015

Riu has gone down the pan....

Reviewed 16th July 2013

"Arrived 18th Nov for 2 weeks after a long 9 1/2 hour flight. on 1st impression the hotel looks " ok " check in was swift and our suitcases were put in reception and later delivered to our room by the very insistent porter that couldn't let you take your own to your room...the cases were then left in the hall outside your room (if your not in and we weren't) but the porter then returned until you were in for his tip...We had emailed the hotel the week before and asked if we could have a sea or pool view room on the 2nd floor but once again they didn't oblige, and seeing as the hotel was only half full i think that is really poor customer service..anyway....the bits your after... The hotel rooms were very good, the maids do an excellent job although the times they arrive varies from day to day but on the whole very good..there are optics in your room and soft drinks and beers in the fridge which is refilled every other day. Food...A staple diet of chicken, fish and pork presented in various themes, plenty of veg and a great selection of salads, cheeses and puddings..cant fault the food although it did get rather boring after 2 weeks. Pool area was nice although you did get pestered by the animation team constantly to play "games" and the spa girls for massages but they did eventually leave you alone. The beach for me was one of the biggest let downs at this hotel, there are plenty of sun loungers on the beach but they are under trees which stretch to the shore so sunbathing was poolside only I'm afraid..One thing to note is that there are ants all around the pool and seating areas and many people were soon covered in bites on the legs feet and ankles, and at night the mosquitoes were out in force, so jungle strength repellent required. Evening entertainment was mostly by the very tired, overworked animation team with the exception of a couple of nights when they brought in an "act".. One thing i should mention is that at this hotel the evening entertainment is mainly you the holidaymaker, on stage gyrating half naked with the bored animation team taking great delight in the "games" billed as entertainment. Drinks..Well what can i say...in over 30 years of worldwide travel i have never ever experienced such a dreadful array of drinks... the wine in the restaurants was occasionally drinkable, but only occasionally...in the bars the wine was unbelievably vile !! There was virtually no taste difference in the brandy and rum and the vodka and gin...seriously..Riu should be ashamed of the utter garbage they are serving in the hotel bars..BTW all have the Royal Brand on the label.. Caribbean street is a small avenue at the side of the hotel, they sell the usual trinkets and holiday momentous but with shops on both sides and their eager proprietors laying in wait it became an ordeal rather than a pleasure....don't these people realize they would sell more if they actually allowed you to look at the goods without hassle ? I honestly think that Riu have lowered there standards and have cut back on the things that keep people returning to there hotels, but this will backfire...This is a nice comfortable hotel with happy friendly staff who cant do enough for you..but they need to realize some people come on holiday to relax and unwind not to be hassled to play games and be the evening entertainment and then be served dishwater for drinks..we have Benidorm if we want that. But seriously..if you need any other specific info or even another recommendation please don't hesitate to get in touch..always happy to help the fellow traveler. "

• Travel date: 16th July 2013

Rui Bachata Paradise

Reviewed 7th August 2012

"We went to this hotel in 2011 and must say for the gardeners to the hotel manager the service was excellent. The rooms were large and airy with plenty of wardrobe and drawer space. The cleanliness was excellent. The biggest proble was the rocks in the sea but that was nature! The food and drinks we found to be excellent with plenty of choice. The trip on the monster truck was exceptional value and out guide Sonny was fabulous (please remember to take pens pencil etc for the local school). We enjoyed it so much we are going back in September and have already book for 2013. The shows at night were excellent but as in every hotel were repeated the second week, which was good for the photo calls. There were more than enough sunbeds for every guest and plenty of shade on the beach. They even had a member of staff going around with drinks on a tricycle for the beach lovers."

• Travel date: 7th August 2012

An amazing holiday!

Reviewed 18th October 2011

"we stayed at the Riu Merengue just next to the Riu Bachata but much preferred the Bachata. We spent all but 2 days of our 14 day holiday at the Riu Bachata. The atmosphere was lovely, at weekends it did get slightly busy but this was not really a problem. The staff were so friendly and tried to please everybody, not only at night time but all through the day as they walked around the pool greeted people. Everybody works very hard there and the entertainment is amazing. Guests were asked to dance with staff and others joined in on stage. Lunch times were great as the snack bar provides a wide variety of things. As i stayed in the Merengue i was unable to taste the night time food but friends were pleased with it. The dive centre is a short walk up the beach and the dives there are fantastic! Juan was an amazing instructor and you will be guaranteed a good dive. If diving isn't for you there are pedlo's, canoes and windsurfing available aswell as other things. The pool was clean and the bars and restaurants were too. The beach was kept tidy everyday and the gardeners work very hard. Overall a very good hotel, i hope to go back soon and stay at the Riu Bachata....if only my parents didnt want to travel the whole world. "

• Travel date: 21st July 2011

Honeymoon Bliss

Reviewed 9th August 2010

"We went for our Honeymoon in October 2009. We had a brilliant time, the rooms were cleaned everyday. Staff were very polite and friendly. Plenty of activites to do during the day :-) Great for families and yougn couples! Great location located next to the beach, evening entertainment was fantastic :-) Food was lovely and alcohol was constantly flowing :-) Would defo go back :-) "

• Travel date: 9th August 2010

Riu Bachata - relax and enjoy !

Reviewed 25th January 2010

"We stayed for two weeks at the Riu Bachata in August 08 with 12,16,18 year olds and 78 year old Dad. Rooms spacious and furnished well. Mini bar replenished often and cold drinks in mini fridge. Hotel is on the beach with just a short stroll to other Riu hotels which we could use the facilities of. Free water sports on beach. Always plenty of sun beds even at pool. Food very good always something you could find that you would like even if just a snack. Paradise Island Trip was brillant and well worth the money. Enjoyed Monster Truck Safari also. Evening entertainment limited to one area in the Bachata. Was good for the first week but not so much the second as we felt like we could do with a change and the other Riu hotels had the same entertainment as ours.There were alot of locals having a holiday weekend there at times. Found it to be far too busy when they arrived in pool and restaurant etc. Didnt go outside the complex other than on trips as there is nothing in the immediate vicinity and we were told it may not be safe. Do take enough sun creams,etc these are very expensive. Enjoyed the holiday glad we went."

• Travel date: 23rd January 2010

Worst alcohol ever

Reviewed 24th November 2008

"The resort was very nice, the food was acceptable but not great as alot of the time we were served leftovers. The alcohol was completely unacceptable. I can understand why it's called "all inclusive" when they serve watered-down garbage called "classics" for rum, vodka, brandy and gin, and probably alot of other kinds of booze. Also the only kind of beer they had anywhere was Brahma, and I could hardly finish one glass let alone enough to get drunk. I tried my best to get drunk and was not able to even once, EXTREMELY disappointed and will never book with Riu again. "

• Travel date: 24th November 2008

What A great time.

Reviewed 28th October 2008

"We have judt come back from 2 weeks in this most brilliant hotel. We had looked at some reviews before we went but found them to but not true. First the staff could not do enough for you they would make you whatever cocktail you wanted not just the ones on the menue. Secounf the food was good lots of choice and I would try out the steakhouse its very good. Third the hotel was allways being cleaned are room was clean and the bar was re stocked every other day. This was the best holiday we have had and we have already re booked for next year. Only word of warning the locals do use the hotel at weekends but at the time of year we went there was not very meny so was no issue."

• Travel date: 28th October 2008

This was a very disappointing holiday an...

Reviewed 29th August 2008

"This was a very disappointing holiday and I would advise people NOT to book the Rui Bachata. Our room was spacious and clean but the swimming pools were dirty, the beach towels insufficiently washed and the bar staff rude. The entertainment team were crude and lacked any skills or knowledge in running normal entertainment activities. They seemed obsessed with making sexually explicit gestures whilst dancing or running activities and flirting with the young female guests. The hotel was dominated by local people from the Dominican Republic who arrived in large family groups and intimidated us off our sun beds, took babies in the pools with no swim nappies and behaved like a stampede in the restaurant, snack bars and bars. The Thomson Reps were aware of this and actually advised us at the welcome meeting to book trips at the weekends to get away from the local people and their behaviour. The Restaurant was packed during the week and especially at weekends and was more like a canteen with local people piling two or three plates full of food and letting their children handle food and then put it back on the serving dishes. On two occasions I only had cheese and crackers for dinner as it was impossible to access any of the hot food. On the occasions when we did manage to secure a table and get hot food it was greasy and of poor quality. The air conditioning was poor and ours broke down, we asked for someone to fix it, we were told it was fixed but it wasnt, we had to complain to the manager for it to be looked at. We complained to the Reps and the hotel Guest Service Manager but felt their responses inadequate. On one evening, the ceiling in one of the bars, including lights and ceiling fans collapsed with a mighty crash. Other ceiling fans around the hotel appeared insecure. We all had upset stomachs and two fellow guests reported that they had had money and other items stolen from their rooms. Although we had booked a child's meal for our son, Thomsons staff on the plane said they had no record of this.... I would advise all travellers to cancel their holiday to the Rui Bachata even if it means you lose your deposit. I wish we had never gone. Overall a very poor holiday and we have lost confidence in Thomsons Holiday company."

• Travel date: 29th August 2008

Hotels near Senator Puerto Plata Spa Resort

Top traveller tips for Senator Puerto Plata Spa Resort

• by Beth

"Go on a trip to Ocean world!"

• by Christine Thomas

"Reading material as very relaxed"

• by jemsarmic

"not a place to visit unaccompanied"

• by intruder3906

"Dont go..Riu dont care about service..only Riu palaces have kept the standard."

• by mattkindred88

"Choose a different hotel"

• by davildo

"take plenty of medication for upset stomachs"

• by abbierose21

"Enjoy every opportunity that arises in this hotel because you will regret it if not! You will love it if you get involved in the activities ..."

• by Mrs S Holliday

"have a king sized bed , used to have facing the beach , but not so inportant now as new port built , like block 4, block 7 block 6 block 1 ..."

Senator Puerto Plata Spa Resort is also called

• Riu Bachata ClubHotel
  • riu bachata
  • riu bachata puerto plata