Fun Royale Beach Resort

P.O. Box 589 , Playa Dorada , Puerto Plata , Dominican Republic , Caribbean

Good

had a fab time

"went to the fun tropical in april for 2 weeks and enjoyed it so much we extended our stay. My husband and i took our 2 children and we had the time of our lives...
the rooms are clean...
the pools were cleaned all the time....
entertainment.....they did very well, a different show every night ( hello andy, rudy , alex )
the food was great with lots of choice.....(hello anna , ruvina , juan carlos, andreas , and domingo)

we hope to go back very soon

mark & alex"

• Travel date: Sat 7th of August 2004

Had a blast there

"I went to the Dominican for the first time in January as a gift to myself. I stayed at the fun royale, fun tropicale resort. I had a blast. I went down by myself and for one week just hung out and met some fantastic people. The first night i got in it was pretty late and it just started to poor rain, i got into my room right away which was just amazing for me. I had a huge room with a balcony on the third floor. It had a huge queen size bed, and a living room area, a small kitchen and a fridge which had rum already in it. WoW i thought.

The resort is really nice, the grounds are kept clean and the entertainment is pretty good, the food isnt bad either. make sure you try the italian restaurant.

Over the course of my stay, i met alot of canadians and went to the beach. You have to take a tractor ride to the beach which is fun, it gives you something to do and there is a bar on the beach so you dont have to come back to the resort. the water was quite warm and if you went to the right you could body surf.

As well go for a cab ride if you can its quite an experience. you get dropped off at any location and then the cabbie will come back and get you, you just give him a time and location. you only pay him on the returned cab back. Also go check out Sosua beach its amazing, lots of little shops there right on the beach!! one stop shop.

Dont eat any seafood that isnt deep water either, there is a major problem with people eating shellfish and getting really sick or small fish that eat off the reaf, make sure its a deap sea fish.

have fun!"

• Travel date: Wed 21st of July 2004

Facts

"Facts in Brief

Hotel- well laid out, clean, basic, organised, not the Hilton

Food- you wont go hungary, but AI can be boring after a while, when all you want is beans on toast. resist the restaurants at the plaza waste of money watch the cost of wine £10-15 for Tesco £3.99. Like most people, change of food and more of it you will get the D R crappy crappy.

Staff- reception ok speak english when you praise them, only spanish when you complain. If you need anything send the lady, guys have no chance.

Animation staff- well dont think you can lie on a bed and sleep around the pool, these guys will get a corpes dancing, bit pushy but they understand the words P*** O** and smile. Overall I found most people enjoyed the pool games. Hi Rudy, Jonny and Hector

Tours-Dont book tours at the hotel. Airtours charge for the catermaran $77 down at the Plaza $53 watch the converting from $ to pesto at Airtours Rate for credit card, boy they sting you!!!!! ie. £49 as to £28 the tours are run by the same local company, same trips. same with the other trips.

Beach-not what you would expect from a caribbian Island pretty dirty in places.

Best Day Out- Get a taxi (steady eddie) the price seams to be $35+$5 tip where ever you go (4-5 hours) 4-7 in a car is well cheaper than an hotel tour. Water falls great, hire a water guide $25 sounds a lot but well worth it. Get out and meet the people, see the place, its pretty safe and a real eye opener.

Overall it was a good holiday looking at other hotels, yes they are nicer, but the word FUN is what this place is about and value for money.

You have to remember these people are laid back and are not used to our mad rat race western ways, they dont get upset over little things, they are not rude, they dont understand why we need to have our drink in our hand withing 10 seconds of reaching the bar."

• Travel date: Tue 29th of June 2004

Great Fun

"Just got back from Hotel and already planning next visit. Fun all the time the satff are excellent and very friendly, Alex & Saffy made my holiday"

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of June 2004

Under rated Complex

"Having stayed at this resort only recently may I thank all the staff at this complex on the magnificent standards we recieved. Cleanliness a priority, friendly, efficent with excellent food & drinks & entertainment suitable for any tv show. Our tour reps, Ruddy & Saffy took us on detailed excursions, Quad bikes a must and a superb day on the jungle safari. For a memorable holiday destination and excellent value for money this resort is a must!!"

• Travel date: Wed 26th of May 2004

What a wonderful Crazy time

"Came over 2 years ago at Christmas.
Had the best time ever, wonderful crazy staff, accomadation spot on, pool and bars spot on, and the beach bar super.
Had such a good time going back Dec 18 2004 can't wait only 6 months 2 go.
WANT A GOOD TIME GO 2 FUN ROYAL 10 star rating."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of May 2004

Better than expected

"After reading reviews on this page I had some trepidation about having booked at Fun Royale. However... we really enjoyed our stay. The hotel was clean, food was reasonably good in the main (buffet) restaurant, and excellent at the Mediterranean restaurant. The music at the restaurant/quiet pool (complaint in last reviewers write-up) was good, so must have been fixed, or my taste is very different from that reviewer. We enjoyed the tennis courts (not many guests used them) and were pleasantly surprised with the quality of the equipment made available. Room cleaning was done unobtrusively and promptly. My only complaint is with the other guests: too many people think they own a lounger by leaving a towel on it for the entire day and then not showing up. I don't think this is much different in other hotels though. The beach was good, some corral directly in front of section used by this hotel, however, if you wish to swim in sandy bottomed water than moving less than 50 ft to the left will do the trick. Remainder of the beach was great for walking, as was the general resort area/golf course. We bused into Sosua on our own. Great adventure... hagling with driver over fare, sharing a crowded van with 17 passengers, and hoping they drop you at the right stop. Sosua is more or less what we expected: a main drag with tons of small shops, trinklets, etc. Typical of this part of the Caribean and Mexico. A little disappointed in the beach there, but the water was beautiful. Overall, I would not hestitate to go back to this locale or hotel, if I was so inclined."

• Travel date: Thu 13th of May 2004

Some good ... Some bad!!

"We really enjoyed DR. The poeple were great, the beach/ocean was wonderful. We went on the Outback Safari, and to Fun City Go Karts and loved them. Both my husband and I didn't enjoy the Sosua Bay/Shopping Combo, it was a wasted day. We booked our trip with Go Travel Direct at Fun Royale (4*), we got Fun Tropicale (3*) for a couple of days because someone over booked, and then we had to move and lost a 1/2 day because our room wasn't ready until 10. Lots of booze, lots of activities. Our biggest complaint was with our room, the toilet didn't always work well, the room was noisy, and getting clean linens was like pulling teeth, but that didn't really matter because we weren't there much. Overall, it was VERY clean, the entertainment was great, and the food was good ."

• Travel date: Mon 26th of April 2004

Oh we hd so much fun

"My husband and I went for 2 weeks on 27th March 2004. Arrived approx 17.00 and it was raining but didnt mind. Rest of holiday was lovely and hot. The rooms could do with a bit of a paint but our room in C344 was kept lovely and clean. Maid came in every day to clean and was so friendly. They went to the trouble to shape our towels into swan figures with flowers stuck in them. It may seem tacky but they made an effort. The bar staff were really friendly especially Felix who works in the evening, he had been doing his job for 5 years and everyone liked him. The grounds themselves were kept immaculate. Food was very good but could have been a bit hotter but lots of variety. We did the Brazilian Restaurant (which was lovely and couldnt eat it all as there is so much) and Italian also which was 3 course but liked Brazilian better. Entertainment was very good, they put a lot of effort into the shows and when playing the silly games, had me howling. Place was full of Canadians who I've never met before but what fun we had with them, lovely people with great sense of humour. Beach located nearby with coral in sea. Bar and snack bar open during day. Lovely grilled food or salads available. Drinks in resort of good quality but watch 151 Rum as 75% and will send you dancing home. You dont need towels for beach/pool as they are provided free. You can also lend an iron from reception,hairdryers provided in bathrooms. Sosua great for a visit if you like shopping, thought it was better than Puerto Plata. Whatever price they say, you half it. Shopping in the Plaza on resort is good where there are real bargains and some lovely jewellery shops. Overall we loved it. Met lots of people who had been back to same place for last 3 years. To me it was paradise and a holiday is what you make of it and we sure had a great time"

• Travel date: Mon 12th of April 2004

good time..but a few problems!!

"vacation March 8th-March 15th..2004.. Having never been to Puerto Plata, but other islands in the carribean, my partner and I were quite pleased with the resort.. We were told by our travel agent that this resort was far from upscale, but we found our room adequate, and fortunatly on the backside of the pool area.. A few things in the room did not work properly, but we did not report this. We did not go down to spend alot of time in the room anyway.. There was a real lack of chairs and tables at the main pool, and most people seemed to think they had their area reserved regardless if thet were there or not. The bartenders were extremly rude to say the least.. Not an ounce of friendliness in most of them.. Seemed as though they were doing you a favor to mix you a drink or a simple cola beverage.. Alot of people were complaining of sickness, as my partner spent about 4 days in bed.
The buffet was certainly adequate with a wide erray of foods for everyone. The staff in that area were more than accomodating..{Wait staff} We were sick to death of being approached daily to spend hours touring time share deals.. No, not interested just isn't enough here.... I am contemplating taking my 2 children down for Xmas, but hope that they provide more activities for children of 16&13... I enjoyed this resort on the most part, as didn't want to get into a resort of the so called upper class. Made many friends... Who ever is in charge of the hiring there should take a little more time to see if the people they intend to hire have any personality at all....."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of April 2004

The Fun Royale & Tropircale

"Dear Sir, Madam,
On booking our holiday to the Caribbean we were dead excited and couldn’t wait to go as we have never been to the Caribbean before plus I had heard only of good reports from friends how they have enjoyed it there and would go back there, the lady in Fist Choice looked through the holidays with us we looked at a couple of holidays in the Dominican there where 4stars and this 3 star hotel but we both agreed the 3 star had more to offer then the 4 star ,the 3star had a 24hr bar and more entertainment then the 4star as the 4 star only had a 12hour bar and hardly any entertainment I was apprehensive as it was only a 3star and we normal go into 4-5 star hotels , so we booked in to the Fun Royale & Tropircale Playa Dorada Dominican Republic, when we arrived the porter show us to are room on the Fun Royale side ,he open the door and I just wanted to cry , it was dirty, we had dead fly’s and mosquitoes on the window ledges and lying dead in the sink which the sink looked like it hadn’t been cleaned in ages as it had grime on it ,we had a wasps which kept on coming in after my husband had put them out through the patio door which we couldn’t understand we then noticed we had a wasp nest in the roof ,the toilet handle was broken ,and the bath was dirty ,at this stage I really just wanted to get the next fight home that was in matter of say 1hour after we got there ,as we had not much money to up grade to another hotel which could have been the same as this one so we decided not to ,after I had good cry we decided to go and complain about are room in which they moved us to another room on Tropircale side which was 50 % better, least only the sink had a leak in which they did fix, the shower the taps turned in the wall as you switched them on , there was no sealed bottle water only a big bottle in which the maid filled up for us suppose to be from a tap in another part of the building but when they where cleaning I never saw no one bring water in so I suspected they used the water from are room in which we ended up with the stomach bug in which most people in our hotel did which was not pleasant , there were ants going in the fridge walking up and down the seal of the door I glad we only had water in the fridge .I also notice staff using the toilets on adults side of the building by the 24 hour bar then going back to server people in which the was no soap for you to wash your hand and toilets hardly ever flushed defiantly a hygiene issue.
2 days before we left I saw a baby cockroach walking over the salad bar but most days the where a load of fly’s crawling and flying over the salad, on speaking also to other people staying at this hotel 1 person had moved 5 times other people at least 2 or 3 times which complaints where toilets when flushing excrement came up over the top of the toilet in stand of going down ,or the toilet not working at all ,roof leaking, bed bugs .no hot water ,we where eaten alive by mosquitoes and sand fleas like most people there. I left people crying wishing it was them that was going home
We also got utterly fed up with time share people trying to get you to buy time share in this hotel they be waiting on the corner for you , on going to breakfast lunch dinner it also put us off going for meals
But saying all this the Dominican people where friendly, and the 2 excursions we went on where good its just a shame about the hotel hygiene stranded ,the hotel could do with knocking down and rebuilding it or defiantly updating ,
I would not recommend this hotel to no one not sure if I would go back to the Dominican from the experience we had from this hotel.

Please do not recommend this hotel to anyone

• Travel date: Sun 26th of October 2008

Firstly the hotel was beautiful. I felt...

Good

"Firstly the hotel was beautiful. I felt welcomed by the lobby with its modern caribbean design. My first impressions were what a beautiful hotel. As i got to the room i was very pleased as it was spacious with 2 double beds accomidating only 2 of us so we had a double each. They were comfortable and the television was colour with many channels however many of them were foreign but it was a big tv and plenty of english/american channels to watch. The bathroom was nice as there was a mirror on the door and also near the sink on the wall there was another so two of us could look in the mirror at the same time while getting ready! The air conditioning was very good and kept the room so cool sometimes we got cold! The only downsides to the room was there was a leek in our celling in the bathroom however they said they would move us to another room immediatley if we wanted but we had already unpacked so couldnt be bothered but the leeking stopped towards the middle of the second week. They also gave us extra towels because of the problem. The only other problem was the bath plug wasnt easy to work so couldnt have a bath without holding a cup over the plug which wasnt very easy.
The main restaraunt was great with lovely food and a great variety, different every day, it had many tastes like dominican food, salad, typical english food, different pastas, omlettes for breakfast and lots of variety for dessert with cakes, biscuits and ice cream etc. It has a lovely atmosphere and all the staff eat with guests which i think is great. They also have a brazilian and an italian. I never managed to go to the italian but i did go to the brazilian however i preferred the main restaraunt but many other people really like it.
The staff were amazing! Firstly the daytime staff were so great trying to involve everyone in activities. The 3 that stood out the most were Macho man, Victor and spagetti. Spagetti was always getting in funky outfits for water aerobics and Victor was always flirting with all the woman and trying to get everyone involved in the games. Macho man was the sweetest man i have ever met, he was lovely and caring and not only towards my age group (16) he also got along really well with little ones and adults. They made my stay very fun and exciting and if the staff wernt there it wouldnt be half as good!
Then there were the lovely dancers, they were amazing at dancing. It was so fascinating watching their dances every night and they seemed to get better however my favourite show overall was one were Candyman and another bloke blew fire, it was amazing.
Brittany was a wonderful dancer, she was always smiling and always knew the words to the songs, she also got along with the children very well and was very understanding when i wasnt well.
Candyman was a good dancer and had an amazing body and smile! He was sooo friendly and was great at doing salsa lessons, you must try them.
There was another female dancer with curly blonde hair but i dont know her name, she was a great dancer but she didnt believe in herself even though she was beautiful and great at her job.
And finally there was another amazing dancer who did a few solos and duets with Brittany but i dont know his name, he was the best male dancer and if you go you will know who i mean as he is so great at what he does.
The main pool is very nice and is the one that i spent all my time at, it was a great size and lots to do in and out of the pool. The pool bar was very lovely however some of the barman were kind of pervy but i could deal with them. In the pool they have a water volleyball net which is really good. I have never been to a hotel with one like this one. It is very good as anytime during the day you can use it and they always have a volleyball kicking around somewhere. At a certain time of the day they have an arranged water volleyball game which is really fun as everyone gets involved including the staff.
Evenings were lovely as there was quite a bit to do for everyone. They have an organised show which starts at about half 8 for the children and then the actual show starts around 9 with certificates, maranga and an ice breaker before an amazing dance show every night except a sunday in which they have a great beach party with lots of fun games. Then afterwards they have organised free taxis to places every night like coco bongo club which i didnt enjoy but a lot of people i know did, roadway which was really good and Hemmingways karaoke every thursday i think which i never went to but wish i had as i heard it was good. On thursday, fridays and saturdays they have there own manana disco above the buffet restaraunt which was a really good disco and i definetly had the best nights when i went there. You can request any song and they will put it on and they have plenty of english music. If you would rather just have a quiet drink you can just go to the 24 hour bar were you can chill and have relaxing music or sit in the restaraunt which i liked to do as it was comfortable and a nice atmosphere.
I would definetly recommend this hotel to anyone especially families and youngsters. However it is for anyone i would say, you can even get married there if you like and i have heard they have a lovely ceremony. I hope i have helped and i can assure you if you go to fun royale i am sure you will have a great time, i am going to return hopefully next year! =D xxx"

• Travel date: Sat 13th of September 2008

Hotels near Fun Royale Beach Resort

Stayed at Fun Royale Beach Resort? Share your insight.

Fun Royale Beach Resort is also called