ClubHotel Riu Merengue

Bahia de Maimon, Puerto Plata 57000 Dominican Republic

I’ve previously been to Sri Lanka and...

"I’ve previously been to Sri Lanka and the Maldives, but I can honestly say that this holiday was the best I’ve ever been too.

The staff were absolutely Amazing, treating us like royalty. The accommodation really was first Class. The resort had and really fun atmosphere, it was so clean and tidy. There were 3 hotels in the complex of which we could use all the facilities, e.g. pools, bars, restaurants. They had their own sports beach, which was incredible we went Canoeing, which was great but wished we'd done wind surfing and jet skiing as well.

The trip out to Ocean World was so spectacular that I wish everyone could experience the close encounter with the Sea lions and tigers and dolphins and birds, snorkeling round a fabulous man made reef Made me feel like I was in a different world. I would like to tell you more. But this was the best holiday in the world. My dream is to go again If I could afford it. Despite having an Illness I felt like a normal person doing what everyone else done. It really was brilliant. From booking it to getting home after was magnificent.

I still can't stop talking about it. Thank you to everyone involved in giving me a holiday of a lifetime. -x-"

• Travel date: Thu 27th of July 2006

May 2006 Weather great the occasional cl...

"May 2006 Weather great the occasional cloud only but just enough to have break from the heat. Just back from a 2 week all inc holiday at Riu Mambo, I read other reviews before going and they are spot on, this was a great hotel having gone as a couple on the Thomson Riu deal we didn’t mind which of the 3 we stayed in but think we got the best one, Mambo is slightly quieter than the others 2 but still had lots of things to do, the food was a good selection and well prepared, the room was large for a couple and cleaned every day.

Mambo has the best part of the beach, the water sports beach was not so great and the water very shallow with lots of weed. Top comments - mini bar in room filled every other day except the 4 large bottles of spirits which we never managed to get through.

The main dining room was really hot and had no air con take a little fan.
The staff are great and really friendly, service at the bars very good, try some of the local cocktails like Mojito they are great.

No need to take towels each person gets a towel card for a beach towel and the rooms are stocked with clean towels every day if needed. Each room has a safe and the key is free with the room.

There are security guards roaming patrols at night which gives you some comfort over security although we did here a room had been broken into in one of the other hotels - use the safe for all valuables.

It costs 10 dollars each to get into the country and 20 dollars each to get out!
We didn’t get extra leg room on the plane and felt pretty cramped but it was just about bearable and the food was ok.

The rep was great and willing to help with lots of advice and tips, we did 4 trips ocean world swim with dolphins, catamaran day, monster truck and the 1/2 day city tour, the city tour is the best value and you see lots of the town, we didn’t go into town other than that as it was to far to go, the next best trip was the trucks then if you like snorkeling the cat, last of all although a great experience the dolphin trip this was expensive.

All the electrics are 110v so don’t take appliances, we loaned a hair dryer from reception 20 dollars deposit returned when we left. We did get a few mozzy bites but nothing major take some repellent and cream. Although we didn’t have kids with us the hotel seemed to cater well for smaller kids but if they are older 10+ there didn’t seem much to do especially in the evening. All in all this was a great holiday and I would certainly recommend it."

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of May 2006

Seem overall a very nice place but both...

"Seem overall a very nice place but both me and my partner went down with a illness which hit the resort quite badly I have never been so sick before this holiday was the worst we found out the Riu was shut down few months before through a virus of which was the same as we suffered and many more people did too.

Without going into to much detail it was very unpleasant didn’t know what was worse the sickness or the temp or the other end was laid up for well over third of our holiday not impressed with our tour operators as they are not interested wont be using them again."

• Travel date: Sat 6th of May 2006

Me and my family stayed in the Mambo in...

"Me and my family stayed in the Mambo in February and it was the best holiday ever. The place was spotless, there was always somebody cleaning up, giving you hand wash, all the staff say hello, the rooms were clean, the food was good, the "Animation" team were absolutely fantastic (Pineapple and Julu Julu.)

I would definitely recommend it to anybody, absolutely fantastic. The only thing I was disappointed with was the Thomson rep, Thomson phone cards and the cabin crew on the flight were not friendly. It is definitely worth going but with another travel company.

There are a lot of Americans and Canadian guests staying there who demand a lot more than us English people so don't be put off by their reviews."

• Travel date: Sat 4th of March 2006

This hotel was absolutely fabulous, coul...

"This hotel was absolutely fabulous, could not fault a single thing. You could not meet nicer people/staff and the animation team were great. You have the use of the other two sister hotels but really other than doing the excursions you are pretty much tied to staying within your complex. This is truly a holiday of a lifetime in paradise, everything you could wish for. Will definitely be back next year."

• Travel date: Tue 31st of August 2004

I have stayed in the Mambo and 2 years p...

"I have stayed in the Mambo and 2 years previously I stayed in the Merengue. Both hotels were fantastic but the staff at the Mambo seemed more friendly and outgoing. The pool at the Mambo also didn’t seem to be as busy as at the Merengue. The pool bar at the Bachata is fantastic.

The gardens are well maintained in all hotels. I found that if you try using a little bit of Spanish with the staff in the hotels they seemed to talk to you more, which was nice. The view from the gazebo in the Bachata is fantastic. I’d love to go back again and stay at the Bachata just to see what the rooms are like. I think they should have built the accommodation at the Bachata like the Mambo and Meregue, as they do kind of stick out like a sore thumb as they’re higher but they still look nice.

• Travel date: Mon 1st of December 2003

At this resort there are 3 RIU hotels o...

"At this resort there are 3 RIU hotels on their own beach, the service and the food was excellent, you could eat breakfast and lunch at either the Mambo, Meringue or Bachata, however your evening meal must be eaten at your hotel. Facilities can be used at all 3 hotels. The other activities, kayaking, sailing etc, was on a separate part of the beach, which made it safe for everyone.

The speciality restaurant was good, but limited on choice.

There is plenty of room on the beach or around the pool, and there are more than enough sun loungers by the beach or by the pool. This is one of the best value for money hotels I have been to, any of the 3 hotels would be a good choice, the Bachata is the newest of the 3 and is a little more modern.

We have been twice and will definitely return again.

• Travel date: Mon 1st of March 2004

My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful 2-week...

"My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful 2-week holiday at the Riu Mambo during the last fortnight in May '04. We had never been to the Caribbean before and this was our first all-inclusive vacation. We would recommend the Mambo to anyone, it is excellent value for money.

The resort is rather isolated from the nearest town of Puerta Plata, which is a ten to 15 minute drive away. However, you don’t really need to go outside of the resort because there are 3 hotels to enjoy and there’s always something going on to keep you occupied. The hotel accommodation is very good; the rooms are comfortable but not luxurious. The air conditioning works well, the beds are comfortable and the room maids keep everything spotlessly clean.

All the hotel staff are on very low wages so it helps to tip them early and throughout your stay, you will be rewarded with extra special service and a friendly smile. The bar staff appreciate it, if you try a little Spanish when ordering your drinks. The drinks are plentiful and excellent quality, even the local beer is very palatable.

We thought the meals were very good indeed with plenty of variety, 95% of the products are grown in the Dominican Republic. The service in the restaurant was also very good but the wine takes a little getting used to. The Dominican’s are not renowned for locally produced wine but the red was our favourite.

The restaurant is not air conditioned so it can get stiflingly hot sometimes. A table by a window is best, try giving the Maitre D a small tip when you arrive and this will help to get a good table by a window......

The local people are extremely friendly and the Animation team are truly fantastic. They organise all the activities in and around the pool, as well as the beach volleyball, boules and horseshoes. We found that getting involved every day in these activities helped us make lots of friends which made our stay so much more enjoyable.

There’s plenty of sun beds and shade, whether you prefer to relax by the poolside or on the beach. The Mambo is the only hotel of the 3 that has a bar on the beach.

There is entertainment in all of the 3 hotels in the evenings, which is provided by the Animation team. Sometimes the evening entertainment can be a little 'risqué' so be careful, especially if you have young children. In the evenings, it’s nice to go to the Marenge bar for drinks. They always have a cocktail of the day and they’re usually very colourful and tasty!

Some of the organised trips are very good but they tend to be quite expensive for what they are. I would recommend the Monster Truck Safari, which takes you into the remote villages on the island where you get a chance to see how the locals live. The people are so poor but his is one of the poorest countries on earth so prepare yourself for some amazing scenes. Be sure to take your camera and lots of sweeties and pencils for the children.

Be sure to take and use mosquito repellent, many of us got covered in insect bites around our hands, arms and ankles. There is a small parade of shops called Caribbean Street with a Pharmacy where you can get medicines but they are very expensive. There’s also an Internet cafe where you can check your emails.

I’d suggest you take plenty of single US dollars for tipping hotel staff, for the Internet cafe and for telephone calls home from the reception desk. Telephoning from your room can be quite expensive and don’t bother with your mobile, it won’t work once you’ve left the vicinity of the airport.

Have a look at some of our pictures at........ www.fotki.com/mackem"

• Travel date: Fri 30th of April 2004

Hotels near ClubHotel Riu Merengue

Stayed at ClubHotel Riu Merengue? Share your insight.