ClubHotel Riu Bachata

Bahia de Maimon, Puerto Plata 57000 Dominican Republic

Amazing Trip!!!

"Me and my boyfriend (ages 25) just returned from a wonderful vacation at the Riu Bachata. We did the Riu Roulette and ended up staying at the Bachata which was great. The weather for the first few days wasn't so good and was unusual for this time of year, but was caused from storm Odette. It cleared up later in the week and we came home nice and golden. I can't think of one bad thing to say about this hotel, all 3 Riu's were beautiful and each had something different. We enjoyed the pool and the swim up bar at the Bachata a lot. We went on a scuba dive which was full of amazing fish and underwater life. It cost 80 US, but was well worth it. We also went to Sosua Beach which was like a paradise!! The beach at the resort is pretty, but very murky and the bottom is yucky. The beach at Sosua was clear and perfect for swimming.
We also went for a horseback ride in the mountains and along the beach, it was only 20 US each and was 3 hours long. We found this deal through the locals that have shops set up along the beach on the edge of the Bachata property. I can't say enough about the kindness of the Dominican people! They could not do enough for you to make your stay enjoyable. The nighttime shows were ok, sometimes a bit cheezy, but still fun. One word of advice watch how much alcohol you consume, because believe me it is different then our stuff here! You dont want to waste one of your days with a hangover. We went to the disco "Pacha" and it was a blast, a good mix of music and people and it was a fun night out.The food there was really good, I never got tired of it...we tried both the a la cartes and ended up wishing we had stayed at the buffet. They were just ok...although the Mediteranean was way better than the Steakhouse. My boyfriend brought his baseball glove and ball and he was an instant hit! The locals love baseball and he had a blast playing with them and he made quite a few friends. Anyway, this is a great place for anyone of any age. Trust me you will not want to come home! Email me if you have any questions."

• Travel date: Mon 15th of December 2003

Great Vacation - Five star review

"My husband and son and I spent a week there last April and we had a great time. The resort was spotless, the food good, the service professional and the beaches was fantastic. The water was great, clear blue and there is a reef where fish swim. My son and I had fun feeding the fish. This place was bar none. Definatley a five star. We will probably go back there."

• Travel date: Sun 7th of December 2003

Bachata Nov 15-22

Good

"Spent a week at the Riu Bachata from Nov 15 to 22. While it was my first time at an all-inclusive, I was impressed with the cleanliness and friendliness of the staff. The resort is must nicer than the Mambo and Merengue. The buildings are nicer and the pool area is much better.
I didn't bother going to the beach area as it was not my thing. BTW, there's way too many palm trees on this beach! The food was adequate, if not inventive, but not great. In all of the brochures I read prior to arriving, it described that men must wear long pants in the main dining room...not true....bermuda shorts are completely acceptable. The rooms are nice and the mini-bar in the room was a pleasant surprise.
Having 4, 40 oz bottles of booze hanging upside down in the room along with mix in the fridge was very convenient. Even though the weather was up and down, I still enjoyed the resort. I didn't venture outside of the 3 resorts although lots of people I met did. I'd highly recommend the Bachata for a very relaxing vacation."

• Travel date: Sun 30th of November 2003

Riu Bachata- Amazing !

"My boyfriend and I have just returned from a 2 week stay at the Riu Bachata. We were very unlucky with the weather (only had about 4 days of sunshine out of a possible 14) but we still had a fantastic holiday.The rooms are very spacious, and have plenty of wardrobe space and loads of room to move about. Fridge stocked every 2 days with Beer, Diet Coke, Coke, Water, Soda and Tonics, plus Optics were refilled if required. We only drink Diet Coke and upon request they stocked our fridge with Diet Coke instead of Coke which was nice.Hotel is spotless, they even have people employed to sweep leaves, pick up leaves that have fallen and to collect the mowed grass!The Animation Team do pester you to join in with the daytime activities and sometimes will not take No for an answer but if you are firm with them (or pretend to be asleep on the Sun Lounger!!) they will then leave you alone. Entertainment here at night time is ok but we found the Riu Merengue had more of an 'atmosphere' so would often stroll down to theis neighbouring hotel after dinner.Beaches were nice, one is a watersport beach and does have Beach Vendors, so best to use this purely for activites and no sunbathing as water is dirtier than the other beach due to Mangroves (protected trees) being in the water. Other beach was lovely, water warm and clear but shingly but we spent most days by the pool as handy for drinks and if we needed to pop back to the room.Food was fantastic, don't think I will ever eat as well again. They cook eggs etc on the spot for breakfast and so much choice, you didn't know what to have each day! A la Carte Restaurants were ok but we preferred the Bahia Le Maihmon which was the main place to eat. We had the same seat for 2 weeks and never got moved.Trips worth doing -Sosua - Lovey beach if its a nice day!Paradise Island - Out of this world, Caribbean White sands and clear turquoise waters. It is one tiny sand island in the middle of the sea. Remember to take an underwater camera as the snorkelling is amazing. James Bond style speed boat ride there, racing another boat, which literally rides the waves, I was a bit scared but it was good fun.Dolphin Encounter at Ocean World -This costs avout £75.00 each but you get to Touch, Cuddle, Kiss, Feed, Dance and stroke the Dolphins, once in a lifetime experience and more "hands-on" than the swim. One advice though on this is to take an Underwater Camera as they split the group into two and video/take photos which prove to be very costly. Ask someone nicely from the other group if they would mind taking pictures of you when you are in the water and they are spectating as this will save you a lot of money!All in All this was a fantastic holiday and well worth the 5 star rating, (ignore all the comments!) and whilst I would not go back to the DR for a while, I am def looking at staying at the Riu chain again, they make you feel so at home and cannot do enough for you!"

• Travel date: Mon 24th of November 2003

Fell a little short

"A good relaxing holiday that just did not quite meet expectations. This was our second visit to Dom Rep, having stayed last year at Iberostar Costa Dorada. Considering they are both given the same star rating, it really wasn't in the same league. Rooms are excellent and spotlessly clean.I liked the fact that you didn't get tagged with an all-inc bracelet. The a la carte restaurants are frankly poor - whoever heard of a Steakhouse with only one steak on the menu. Chicken and chips is not what I call a la carte dining, tasty as it was. The buffet restaurant offered a good range of choice, but it is hugely chaotic.
There are 2 evening meal sittings, 6.30pm and 8.30pm. If you go to the later sitting as we did, know in advance that you will not get seats inside the theatre to see the evening shows. This is quite important if you get the sheer amount of rainfall we experienced.The 6.30pm diners have comandeered all the tables and chairs by the time you're finished your dinner. Having said that, the entertainment was provided by an enthusiastic bunch but most of the shows were woeful.This is not a bad hotel by any stretch of the imagination, but 5 star ? I don't think so."

• Travel date: Fri 21st of November 2003

Loved Bachata

Good

"Visited Riu Bachata 7 Nov 03 for three nights. Riu Bachata, was more beautiful than expected. Service was wonderful, the maid did a wonderful job. Visited Puerto Plata, people were very friendly, don't smoke but brought some wonderful cigars back and some good rum. Prices are a little high but well worth it. Did not have to tax to leave country just to enter. Having two sister resorts near makes it really nice. If you could not find sometime to eat you really have a problem. Would recommend Riu Bachata. Would like to return in the future. Don't think their customs or American Immigrations liked me. They just could not leave me alone although born and lived in the USA all of my life."

• Travel date: Thu 20th of November 2003

wonderful vacation

Good

"We just returned from a week at the Riu Bachata (November 8 - 14) and we had a fabulous time, weather not withstanding. 2 days of heavy rain, ugh, but otherwise it was lovely most days with rains just at nighttime. Our room was spotless and the cleaning crew kept it perfectly. The food was abundant and we didn't care for the beef but there were plenty of other things for us to eat - chicken, fish, pasta, etc. The fruit and salads were wonderful, and the desserts were passable but not to our liking. The beaches were beautiful and not crowded, and there weren't any broken chairs like in other places we've stayed. The pools were pretty and also well maintained. The "animation" crews worked hard providing a good time for those who wanted to participate in the contests and games that they offered. As for the drinks, either the liquor was watered down or else perhaps the alcohol was very low proof, but we really didn't get buzzed even though we had plenty to drink. It's probably just as well! We took advantage of lots of the things onsite, such as kayaking, the disco, the evening shows and everything was really a lot of fun. I saw several of the other resorts which weren't RIU and they weren't nearly as nice as the Riu Bachata. I would certainly return to Riu hotels again. The cleanliness, the value for the money, the staff, and the friendliness and professionalism of the whole organization were excellent. Other guests mentioned how much they enjoyed their visits as well. Maybe next time we'll stay 10 days or 2 weeks. Susan & Tom from NY."

• Travel date: Sun 16th of November 2003

the best holiday ever

"This was mine and my boyfriends first holiday in the carrabean. It was the best holiday i have ever been on. We went in July 2003 for two weeks and didnt want to come home. Ignore the people that winge about the smallest things, because we had absolutely no problems. The only problem we had was that one night our toilet leaked, but it was fixed in the orning with no problems. The swimming pool was great, the beach was fantastic and the staff were so friendly. Donkey, we love you!!! I would definately recommend going on the catermaran trip to go snorkeling, it was a fab day. We met loads of other young couples ( I am 19 and my boyfriend is 25)."

• Travel date: Fri 14th of November 2003

excellent

"i stayed at the riu bachata for two weeks and loved it. the pools were great an were the reps and entertainers. the only downside was the amount of spanish people"

• Travel date: Wed 12th of November 2003

Top holiday - ignore the perfectionists who moan at the smallest thing.

"You want an honest opinion of the place in summary? Here goes:

Holiday - Thomas Cook, Gatwick to Puerto Plata 27th Oct - 10th Nov 2003. Girlfriend and I (25 & 27)

Checkin/out - took 5 minutes to check in and one minute to check out.

Food - Superb. Crayfish and prawns as specials, veal, chicken, pork etc for the evening. Huge selection for breakfast and the lunch goes most of the day in case you need a snack.

Drinks - As much as you want, how and when you want. Cocktails (try the Dr Funk), Johnny Walker, Top brand vodka's as well as the local rum which is actually really nice

Pool - Can you moan at underwater beds, a separate Jacuzzi as well as 2 huge swimming areas with volleyball/water polo nets one end and a swim up bar at the other?

Rooms - large rooms with a cabinet which holds 4 bottles of spirits and a fridge with beer, water and coke. It gets replaced every two days.
Balcony with views if your lucky. Beds that are just too big!

Cleaning - one of the guests walked in on the maid cleaning the phone with a toothbrush (not theirs I might add). Need I say more?!?

Weather - we had 2 days of rain and the rest was sunshine. Enough to get a great tan.

Beach - 2 beaches, one of which is secluded. The other has volleyball and football as well as palm trees. Rocky cliffs at either end. Nice to relax and get a bit of a breeze.

People - They cant do enough for you. Elizabeth in the pool bar works hard all day to make sure everyone has a full glass. Smiles and 'Hellos' are everywhere.

Nightlife - not much to do. Hotel entertainment isn't much, but most people are to tired to go out. Casino is good although you have to stand your ground as the Germans have a tendency to push people out of the way in roulette.

Tours - White water rafting is a must. So is the monster truck day out.
Scuba diving was poor due to the average visability which is usual at this time of year."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of November 2003

Multiple Thefts From Rooms & Safes

"I wouldn't wish any person to stay in this hotel while the management are on the property

We had our money stolen from the room and we also know of another 4 people which had their money stolen from the room whilst we were there. When reporting this to the hotel, you have to wait for over an hour to speak with the "so called" Service Manager. Who obviously couldn't care about the service provided on the guest experiences . They try and scare you into even speaking to Rep's, Tourist police etc by saying if you do then the hotel can look to take you to court for falsely accusing someone etc. What made things worse was upon checking out I looked to see if we could negotiate waiving the charge for internet due to the issues. To which I then had to wait for the "so called" Service manager for half hour, to be taken into a room and without a conversation being told he is going to call the police and have my passport confiscated etc. To which I was not entertaining the conversation any further and paid the $35 and informed I would look to share my experience with a review and then be threatened with legal action if I did.

Thomson's should look to remove this hotel from their offering as this experience is happening often here according to the Thomson Rep and also the Hotel receptionist and things are not being done about it.

The food isn't the best, there is a large offering but there is hundreds of flies everywhere and no-fly zippers etc. Both myself, and partner had stomach issues while there which stopped as soon as we got home so make your own mind up on that. The bar staff and entertainment are all nice and amicable and can't fault them but the overall experience of this hotel I wouldn't recommend anyone to stay here and hope people do not ignore the negative reviews."

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of November 2016

not a 4 star platinum whatsoever

"This my review after taking stock and back in the UK for a few days, I am writing an honest review which is my opinion and people obviously make their own minds up.

The hotel itself is in very pleasant surroundings and most of the staff are extremely friendly and happy go lucky which I have no complaints whatsoever about that.

The bar staff is generally the same, however they do tend to favor the cruise ships which turn up regularly and locals that invade at the weekend.

The pool bar is a bit strange in the fact that’s it’s used by a lot of children and the other pool mainly used by adults. I would have thought it better the other way around so the kids don’t have to suffer the often very loud and drunk people by the pool bar.

I noticed that if you didn’t tip the bar staff at the pool bar you was pretty much right down the pecking order and often ignored for long periods of time.

The rooms were decent enough but we had quite a lot of issues with insects and the cleanliness left a lot to be desired. We complained that a roach which we had squashed in the bathroom had not been cleaned and even after complaining it was still there the day we left after 2 weeks.

The sheets seemed to be changed randomly and not very often, the cleaners seemed more bothered about making pretty animals out of the towels than actually concentrating on the cleaning.

The main restaurant was not air conditioned and did not have any fly zappers and a lot of the food was uncovered. On most days flies were all over the uncovered food and I even found an insect in the rice which put me off straight away.

Also there were lots of birds flying in and out picking food of the floor and doing whatever birds do hmmmmm.

The cleanliness of the restaurant was a big concern to me, I was amazed that so much food was left uncovered and on a few occasions my cutlery was dirty and I witnessed on of the staff not replacing the dirty cutlery just wrapping it back up in a clean serviette.

Now as for the food it was again 3 star standard, excellent choice but very average in taste and also very repetitive.

You can book a steak meal in one of the a la carte restaurants which is included in the price, but don’t expect anything special it was very thin and fatty but passable.

The Caribbean meal (in the steak house again) was disappointing my wife’s meal was cold and did not look very appetizing. I had the jerk chicken and it was very average.

The thing that maddens me about certain all inclusive hotels is that they seem to think average is acceptable, which in my book is not and certainly not for supposed 4 star platinum.

The beer was pretty tasteless and I suspect watered down or very low strength, and it would have nice to have more than once choice of beer.

The shorts tasted like bleach and I tried them once and after destroying by stomach I left them alone after that.

They do serve Smirnoff etc but be warned these are not on display and you have to ask specifically for them as they are hidden away under the counter. (I only found out this by someone who has been there before).

The entertainment was pretty terrible, the animation team at night insisted on doing some sort of random dancing shouting the same thing over and over again to some insane techno music in the background. I have no idea what they were supposed to be doing, suffice to say they were a total embarrassment.

After the kids club it was usually a duet consisting of a man and woman, keyboard/guitar who seem to alternate every other night (that’s what It seemed like anyway)

If you don’t mind listening to singers that churn out the same rubbish every night then you will enjoy them.

After the duets, various acts appeared around 930 which were again pretty awful dancers hopelessly out of sync and clueless it seemed.

We didn’t stay up late most nights due to this and were not that bothered as we preferred a few drinks on the balcony and up early the next day.

The biggest problem was both of us had quite bad stomach problems pretty much the whole time. I complained to the Thomson rep and she logged it.

We were not the only ones a large group of 10 people had been going to the hotel for 10 years or so and they all had the same problem and vowed never to go back.

I can’t say what caused it but I can only state the facts and since my arrival home the stomach problems have disappeared although I will be having a check up at my GP just to make sure.

Finally the most alarming thing I found out was that a Riu manager was sent to the hotel to try and sort out the problems. He was there for our second week and I don’t know if he is still there.

We did speak to him about the various problems and I do genuinely think he was trying to sort them out but the big shock for us was when I said to him there is no way this is a 4 star platinum his answer was.

“This had been downgraded to a 3 star plus 2 months ago”

Sorry Thomson that is totally unacceptable, I booked a 4 star platinum and paid for that not a 3 star.

We made the most of the holiday and enjoyed it best we could but I would NEVER go back to this hotel and Thompsons have a lot to answer for.

From what I gather from speaking to other guests this hotel used to be very good but has gone down hill significantly.

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of June 2016

Hotels near ClubHotel Riu Bachata

Stayed at ClubHotel Riu Bachata? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for ClubHotel Riu Bachata

• Mrs S Holliday by Mrs S Holliday

"have a king sized bed , used to have facing the beach , but not so inportant now as new port built , like block 4, block 7 block 6 block 1 have stayed on3rd floor , but ground floor just as good as no stairs to climb as Hotel do not have a lift. "

• abbierose21 by abbierose21

"Enjoy every opportunity that arises in this hotel because you will regret it if not! You will love it if you get involved in the activities and you'll always have lots of time for what you want to do too so remember this before saying no! "

• davildo by davildo

"take plenty of medication for upset stomachs "

• mattkindred88 by mattkindred88

"Choose a different hotel "

• intruder3906 by intruder3906

"Dont go..Riu dont care about service..only Riu palaces have kept the standard. "

• jemsarmic by jemsarmic

"not a place to visit unaccompanied "

• Christine Thomas by Christine Thomas

"Reading material as very relaxed "

• Beth by Beth

"Go on a trip to Ocean world! "

ClubHotel Riu Bachata is also called