BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only

Calle Principal Complejo Playa Dorada nr 538, Puerto Plata Dominican Republic

Good

The worst place we have ever been

"We have just arrived from 2 week at this hotel and all i can say is that i wish i had taken note of what people had said about this place.
We arrived and was given a dark room that had no balcony although in the brochure it states all rooms have them and mini bar/fridge this too we did not have.The room was not too bad although the decor was a bit drab you could not see in your safe deposit box as the lighting was very poor. The food was not good there was not a great selection and nothing seemed to go together, it seemed that every meal you had some sort of banana either fried boiled or stewed there was nothing for kids in the evening to eat and the snacks from the grill were cold and limited.During our stay alot of people went down with sickness and upset tummys and a few people even got admitted to hospital.We had 4 days of very bad rain and the whole place leaked some rooms had water coming through the roof and down the walls even out of the electrical sockets. The reception area also had a leaking roof and there was water everywhere and people were slipping and sliding it was so dangerous.Even when you complained nothing was done in any great hurry.
We also book trips with the rep and was told not to buy off anyone else but people were buying off the beach or plaza and were saving a lot of money and the trips were the same. we have been to many Caribean resorts and this was by far the worst place and we will not be going back."

• Travel date: Mon 29th of March 2004

was fab

"we had a fab time at this hotel we went for our honeymoon they made us feel really fab, and my theory is you.get what you pay for and we didnt pay alot for the dominican,( but more than others cos we didnt get any late deals) but we had a great time the fun team worked so hard."

• Travel date: Sun 28th of March 2004

Great Memories

"This was the highlight of the year. I can't think of one bad thing to say. The beach was great, we played volleyball every day, even one game in the warm tropical rain. Don't worry though, the rain only lasted 20 minutes. The food was plentiful, and there was a good selection every day. Infact we didn't even use our restaurant coupons... A few words of advice: Get involved in the daily activities, we had so much fun and met lots of great people. Also go see the country, you will be amazed at how the locals live, and marvel at the beauty. We found some great deals on our outings at the Plaza. Half the price of the reps. And don't worry the bus did pick us up!! Can't wait to go back!!"

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of March 2004

THE BEST TRIP EVER!

"First off, I want everyone reading this to please IGNORE all of the bad reviews as, I feel, they are not an accurate. I'm sick and tired of people complaining about this resort. For those of you that rated this hotel poorly, I wish next time you would choose to go somewhere else because you ruin it for the rest of us that are happy to just be in the sunny Caribbean. You cannot expect anything more from a 3 star hotel.
In fact, the resort is beyond 3 stars in EVERY sense, from the food, to the accommodations, entertainment, staff and an amazing beach. My boyfriend and I ranked the entire trip and experience a 10/10. Anyone thinking of going to this resort please know that my boyfriend and I absolutely loved it. The food was FANTASTIC, some of the best I have ever tasted, the staff, especially the "fun team" (Speedy, Micheal, and my favourite Rambo) were hilarious, always making us laugh and treating us like we were number one, our room was always clean (no bugs, ants, or roaches, as people claimed), the lounging area was always clean and tidy, the entertainment was brilliant and extremely funny and the beach was spectacular. The water was crystal clear, warm and absolutely beautiful. The restaurant on the beach was fantastic. The food there was great and the bar staff was super friendly.

We participated in 3 trips, which included swimming with the dolphins (which was pricy but definitely worth it), the Outback Safari (highly recommend you do) and the annual carnival in Puerto Plata which was an experience I will never forget. We walked away with great memories of the people, the culture and the surroundings. For the price we paid it definitely exceeded our expectations in every way imaginable. I would go back to this resort any day. Thanks for all the great memories, tons of laughs and to many new friends (Pedro and Nieves from Spain).

Cheers,"

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of March 2004

i had the time of my life

"i Absolutely love this place. i go here every year and i have never been on a holiday like it. I really do love the people. speedy, Anjelo, nancy, oscar, melvin, whinston, gabby and Rudy i hope to see you all soon. i love Jhonny from the tennis court and i miss them all so much.
The room, the food, just the whole hotel is proper boss."

• Travel date: Thu 11th of March 2004

peaceful vacation

Good

"Angel was the first guy we met there. Really does a great job with vacationers. everything was kept clean and tidy. i really wish the food would have been more dominican based. it's kind of a bummer to leave america, meet beautiful local people and eat american food. but then perhaps next time we will venture into puerto plata for some local food. I also liked and appreciated the local based talent shows. my wife and i got 1 hour massages that were great! i got a manicure from a beautiful young local lady and it was the best i've ever had!! I LOVED IT THERE!!!!!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 6th of March 2004

best holiday yet

Good

"very good hotel ; the whole complex is clean and tidy and well kept. the pools were clean and the area around them as well.rooms were clean maybe a touch small for a family. food at hotel is very good not one complaint from my two very fussy kids .beach area is very good and there is plenty to do .also take a stroll along the beach to your right call for a few beers on the way and you will soon find a spot to sit and relax virtually on your own.fun team work hard to keep everyone happy Nancy,angelo.speedy,malvin,winston.juiro make your holiday brill, most evening shows good and fun packed,and you do not have to drink out of plastic cups as many people say. cant wait to go back;;;;fantastic place."

• Travel date: Sun 29th of February 2004

Villas Doradas

Good

"Ignore all the bad reviews, this hotel was great!!!! We got back on 24/02/04 and i feel like i'm getting withdrawal symptoms. The pools were very nice and cleaned daily. We spent most of our time at the beach because we couldn't wake up early enough to put our towels down.
Ventured to the pool straight after lunch though to sit at the swim up bar and let the food go down. The food was great, loads of selection, something for everyone. Chinese was nice but not the same as your local back home. The fun team were great and keep you entertained day and night. The evening entertainment was more for families but still gave us a giggle. The first week we had a bit of a grotty room where the fan looked like it was going to fall off the ceiling, there were a few holes in the roof and the tiny balcony looked out to a building site. I spoke to reception straight away and once there was another room available we were moved. Couldn't fault the second room, it was massive and looked over the pool. I'd recomend this hotel to everyone, i'm definately going back. We did three trips, swim with the dolphins, Cayo Paraiso (Paradise Island) and the Monster Truck Safari. All of these were brilliant. The snorkelling at Paradise Island and the dolphins were the best, quite over priced but they've got to be done. We booked with the reps but wouldn't recomend it as they really overcharge you.
When i go again i shall book with the people at the Plaza or on the beach. We found it safe to go out of the hotel by ourselves although they don't advise it. We had many trips to the local casino at the Jacktar and a few trips to Sasoa by taxi which is a bit of an experience but well worth it once you get there. Beaches are beautiful and the sea is crystal clear. You've got to have a Pinacolada on the beach. The best ever!! All the staff are really friendly and make you feel very welcome. Anyway, if you're going, have a fab holiday, i'm sure you will and i'm very jealous!!

Gemma & Rob"

• Travel date: Fri 27th of February 2004

BRILLIANT

"Just back from a fantastic holiday with my wife and 2 kids (age 5 & 9) I read some of the bad reports about this place before I went, and must admit that I was tempted to cancel after reading them, I'm so glad I did'nt. I will be going back!! The food was fantastic, the pool was always clean, the the gardens are beautiful and very well kept. The rooms were air conditioned, with a fan, and sky tv, cleaned every day, along with excahanged towels. The beach is great and is 1 minute walk over a small bridge, next to the towel exchange hut that exchanges your beach towels as many times as you like for clean dry ones! Of the four places to eat, I was the least happy with the fish restaurant, but the rest more than made up for it. Don't listen to the rep who says not to venture out without going on one of her trips, get out and have a look at some other beach's, we did and enjoyed it all. Beware of other hotels that invite you in to look at their complex, they only want to sell you a simular thing to time share. We went on three organised trips, Dolphins, horses and monster trucks and would recomend all of them. Take some sweets for the kids.

The only down side to the holiday was the drinks (I'm sure that lager is watered down to stop you dehydrating??!!) Remember to have your entry tax of 10 dollars handy for when you land, as it is a bit hectic trying to fill the forms out in the airport after a 9 hour flight, then searching for those lost dollars!

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did

Andrew Dunn"

• Travel date: Thu 26th of February 2004

I thought this place was great.

Good

"After reading the poor reviews about this hotel I was rather worried about staying there. However, I was completely surprised with how lovely it was. As it was a three star hotel, I wasn't expecting the ritz, and found my room large and very comfortable. The lighting and air conditioning could of been better in the room but as a holiday maker you aren't really going to spend much time in there anyway.

The pool area was lovely with a pool bar with many activities such as volleyball in the water and aqua aerobics.

The food was lovely and there was always something to eat. There was so much to choose from and they even made your eggs and pasta to your requirements. Seeing as it was a buffet, it doesn't matter if you didn't like your choice because you could just go and help yourself to something else. However their seafood restaurant was awful! We had one waiter to serve the whole restaurant and the choice there was very limited.

The staff there was very helpful and friendly apart from the reception staff who ignored you for ages as you waited for assistance and would never give you a pen, telling you to buy one at the gift shop!

The downside of this hotel was that the alcoholic drinks were watered down. I didn't mind so much as I was having too much a good time anyway but I don't think they should do it.

I also felt that evening entertainment was a bit poor. It was very family orientated but of poor quality. One night we had a really awful Michael Jackson impersonater who mimed and one night we played a really bad game of bingo. There wasn't really a bar that the adults could go to to chill out.

Other than that I had an amazing holiday, there is so much to do there and it is truly a beautiful country.

p.s don't book your excursions with the reps. Go to the plaza where they are cheaper."

• Travel date: Thu 19th of February 2004

Many visits

"The wife and I are now well into our fifties and have travelled the world on Holiday; in the Caribbean we visited Barbados, St Kitts, Aruba, Jamaica and Cuba before visiting the Dominican Republic. We first stayed at the Victoria Golf hotel in May 2006 and thought it to be too far to walk to get into any action, but we were playing golf 5 days and scuba diving for 3 days so the stay was pleasant. I never got the opportunity to have two weeks off from work so we went back to Domrep in the September and stayed at Blue Bay Villa’s.
I will leave out the bits they tell you in the brochure about available facilities etc. Everything we like is at this hotel. Peace, uncrowded pools, excellent staff, unbeatable service, friendly and clean rooms. We love the fact there is always a sun bed available in September night or day (not always an umbrella but each year there seems to be new ones). Everything is a short 1 to 3 min walk; perfect. You can take or leave the beach as it is separated by a 100 meter walk through the hotel grounds. The food for any Caribbean island is always different from what you’re used to but it is always available 24 hours a day, huge choice, fresh and well presented. OK so the pork chops are thinner, the peas are less green but you are in the Caribbean, not Devon. The rooms are variable on size but always clean and all you do is sleep in them. We are at breakfast at 7 and by the pool/beach by 8 and stay there until the sun goes down, shower, change and in the dining room by 8, entertainment until 10 or 11 then on our balcony until midnight before entering the room for sleep. There is an exchange library rack by the pool towel hut where most swap their paperbacks during stays.
Following that trip we went twice to BBV in 07 and twice in 08, since then I changed jobs and did 2 weeks in September of 09 and two weeks in 10 and 11. We missed 2012 but will return in 2013. Those that return get to know each other; there are dozens in our two week September spot. More importantly at returning you get to know your way round the system and the food. If you look close around the dining room there are tables with choices you may not see first time round as there is so much to choose from. We could live on the salads.
The Black Band Holiday sales guys get the most complaints: At first they will try to get you to go to a presentation and they use the “lets be friends” approach. It is not for everyone but the Brits hate salesman to begin with so the hackles are already up. It is their job and they do not get paid unless you go to the presentation so of course they try hard. They respect a firm no, even if you have to say it three or four times on the first day. As you enter the pool area for the first time, the guy that talks to you has won you as a customer and the others will just say hi occasionally but you are his customer. Imagine his disappointment if he picks all the “no thankyou’s”. When you return to the resort they remember you and you won’t get bothered again but they are still friendly and will sometimes just sit and chat to you. They are nice guys trying to do a job, it is just your Britishness that makes you uncomfortable.
We bring $100 in ones for tips and $60 in 10’s but it is your choice, English money is crap for tipping as they can’t use coins. As the staff know us, we end up changing at least £20 in coins to dollars for the staff. We tip the waiters on the evening who serve our drinks, after the first buck you never have to wait again. That covers about 14 x $5 a night or $70. You tip a buck each to the coach driver that brings you from airport, a buck each to the dude that takes your case to the room (and again when you leave) $8,. The $10’s we give on the last day; one to the evening bar waitress, one to the lady that cleans your room, one to the barman by the pool, rocky by day & Vincent at night, one to your day waiter and one to your night waiter in the dining room. Tipping always worries Brits but if you consider the service you get for that £100 extra in the fortnight I find it humbling. Bring dollars for the shopping Plaza and any eating out you may do, pounds exchange rate is less favourable and again the coins get in the way. There is a cash point at the Plaza which gives you local spondoolies.
Packing: You do not need socks, you do not need the evening jumper/coat (it does not get cold), you do not need shoes (except for excursions if you fancy them). Two pairs of trousers for evening meals and a 7 shirts you can wear twice if two weeks. Sandals are everyday and night footwear. For the day time I take 7 tee shirts and wear them twice and two pairs of shorts. You use them from the room to the pool, then to breakfast and lunch, 2 hours a day tops. The wife brings similar, throw over dresses etc for lunch and light cool evening wear. Add your nicks, swimwear, toiletries, sun tan lotion, a small umbrella (for getting to evening meals in rainy season), books, music and your packed. We never fill the 20kg each with clothes so we take a box of wine each in the luggage for late evenings on the balcony or terrace instead of the entertainment (house wine is iffy but drinkable with the French trick of Ice cubes, in local lingo just ask for hielo sounds like hyellow). Everyone speaks English but asking for ice is unusual for the locals so knowing the word helps. Shampoo, soap, conditioner, towels are provided unless your ‘hair fussy’. Beach and Pool towels are provided don’t bring any.
Long winded but hope it helps, too many complain as they are asking too much for the price we pay for this resort. Their first Caribbean stay at this price may bring out the food moaners, people not understanding what a 30 to 40 degree heat can do to a building and its surroundings, what you can cook and what you can’t, what you can and can’t provide. If you’re a natural moaner at work or in the pub BBV will not change you. If your chilled this Place is the mutts nuts.

The one down side is the admin, they always stuff up something for at least one in every flight to arrive.

• Travel date: Sun 14th of April 2013

Good holiday

"had a great time,did very little,relaxed by the pool and ate,a well earned rest.....staff very good,food good,drinks not so good,cheap brands...."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of August 2012

Hotels near BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only

Stayed at BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only

• jsf by jsf

"there is nothing outside you resort "

• jsf by jsf

"The fish bar made me ill "

• les C by les C

"Take your own parasol unless you like getting up really early "

• djryanstocks by djryanstocks

"Paradise Island and Cable Car tp the top of the mountain "

• Gizmo by Gizmo

"Everything and the paradise VIP island trip "

• traverler by traverler

"ask for a quite room,email a week before you go "

• tonyandsue by tonyandsue

"Bring one dollar bills for tipping, and lots of them "

BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only is also called