Be Live Collection Marien

Carretera Luperon, Km. 4,5, Puerto Plata 57000 Dominican Republic

Good

We wouldn't go back

"Just got back from a 5 night stay at the Coral Marien. We would not go back and this is not a 4 star resort. POOL: FANTASTIC BEACH: BEAUTIFUL FOOD: AWFUL. It is repetitive and the quality is not even close to Hilton standards. Fatty and not enough veggies. ROOM: AVERAGE OCEANVIEW: AVERAGE, alot of trees blocking your view, there is no screen for the patio door, so we didn't dare leave it open while we slept. SERVICE: POOR. They definitely make you run around to make bookings at the "a la carte" restaurants. You have to reserve early in the morning for that night, or forget it. They will tell you there is no room for you, but if you walk by at night, you will see tons of empty tables. We thought this was unfair since it is all-inclusive and we did pay for all of this upfront! DRINKS: AVERAGE, watered down PEOPLE: GOOD, on average the people serving us were pleasant. We had a great time since we went in a group of people and enjoyed their company."

• Travel date: Tue 8th of July 2003

Tropical Paradise!

"We have just returned from our two-weeks honeymoon trip to Santo Domingo visiting the capital, the Baccardi Island, Tampora Bech Resort at Los Cacaos (excellent beach), Santiago, the Botanic Garden and many more and the one and only thing we have to say is TROPICAL PARADISE!!! Coral Marien Beach Hotel & Spa by Hilton of Puerto Plata was an excellent choice and we spent the most beautiful days of our life as just married couple. The food, the sweets, the pies, the chocolate cakes were a sin, the staff was so friendly, polite and always available to help while they kept everything clean and clear. Congratulations to the German Chef! The Chocolate Friends amazingly happy people, we advise you to learn the Merenguez and Salsa dances and taste the cocktails Pina Colada, Cocos Locos, Sex on the Beach, White Russian and many more! The beach of the Coral Marien is not suitable for swimming but having the view from our room Nr. 3212 one couldnt ask for anything else. Avoid the Coral Marien in Boca Chica, there is nothing romantic or exotic apart from a clean beach but still not the best choice for a swim. Playa Dorada has Golden Beaches go there for a long swim and feel the Atlantic Ocean. Visiting the capital you must stay for one night at the Sofitel it will be the most romantic place you have ever been to. Hire private taxi-drivers who can get you anywhere without queues and traffic and heat. We were very sad leaving the island but we promised to get back the soonest possible. Stathis & Ioanna from Greece June 2003"

• Travel date: Tue 8th of July 2003

relaxing but not paradise

"My boyfriend & I just got back from a week long stay at the Coral Marien. The resort is very pretty and well maintained. However, this resort is not as wonderful as the websites suggest. My biggest complaint is the food & drinks. ROOMS: The room we stayed in was an "oceanview room" in building #3. It was a decent size and the bed was comfortable. However, the "oceanview" was kind of a joke--we could barely see the ocean through all of the trees in the back and we certainly couldn't hear the sounds of the waves. The complimentary bottled water is a scam. They fill up an old mildew-ridden jug w/ water each day for you.... we ended up buying our own water from the gift shop all day long. POOL: The pool is HUGE and very clean. However, you should definitly BRING YOUR OWN TOWELS. The towels that the resort provides are not cleaned well... it's kind of gross. BEACH: The beach is nothing to rave about. For the Carribbean it leaves a lot to be desired. FOOD: The food was really awful. The buffet gets tired & old after one day. Warning: they really do not cater to vegetarians or health freaks... everything was full of meat and very fattening. The Mexican resturant is your best bet. We had the only decent meal there.
We were so sick of the food by the end of our trip. ACTIVITIES: There is plenty to keep you busy all day long... however at night, there is really nothing to do. The "gym" is really small with ancient old equiptment and NO AIR-CONDITIONING! The Spa is nice w/ really good prices. DRINKS: Okay, honestly, the drinks here are SO WATERED DOWN...
It was kind of pathetic. SERVICE: The maids were awesome! The people at the front desk were really obnoxious. Watch out for all of the annoying vendors trying to sell stuff...."

• Travel date: Sat 5th of July 2003

Too Bad The Chocolate Friends Can't Come Home With You

"I was there the first week of June '03. It was my first time at the resort and the Dominican Republic. I LOVED IT!!!! The Chocolate Friends and their dance are great. The room was nice, clean, and the air conditioner was great. The people who work there are very friendly and we had no problems the whole time we were there. I was with 3 other girls and we ventured into town by ourselves and went dancing at one of the local night clubs and we had no problems at all. The people were all nice. Also, do the horseback riding trip with Joyce (she's at the hotel twice a week) it a great day out and Joyce is wonderful. I liked it so much I was depressed to come home and hope to get back there before the end of the year. Well, worth the money."

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of July 2003

unbelievably perfect

"Just spent 7 days at that Coral Marien. Everything was lovely beyond belief...the room, the service, the food, the resort. Ventured into town (with another couple, not by ourselves), and had a blast, the locals were good people! I will return as soon as humanly possible, could spend the rest of my days in that paradise quite easily!"

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of July 2003

Never Again

"My wife, two children and I just returned from a week long vacation at
the Coral Marien. Our arrival at the Airport was uneventful. A porter
for a tip took us through customs without having our bags opened. We
hailed a taxi to the hotel. The cost was $20. It is about a 30-minute
ride.Our initial reception was pleasant, but at the front desk we were
told we were given two separate rooms that were not adjoined. This was
not acceptable as our children are 6 and 8 years old. We were told they
would be able to move us the next day. Feeling frustrated we went to
our rooms to discover they were in fact adjoining. I called the front
desk to let them know and they said in their computer it show as
non-adjoining. I was pleased with the accommodations and had no
complaints until the next morning when the ceiling in the master bath
started to leak. It took them three days and three separate occurrences
to get it fixed. While I am on the bathroom, that is the smallest
shower enclosure I have ever encountered.Everyone talks about the pool,
it was large and I believe the deepest portion was about 5 feet. A swim
up bar would have been nice and the floor of the pool is fairly rough.
I had no trouble getting lounges. I found the hotel to be fairly empty.
The first weekend there were a lot of locals staying there. I found
them to be unfriendly. In fact compared to other Caribbean islands I
have visited, I would say they were the unfriendliest.This brings me to
the chocolate friends. They worked their butts off every day. They must
work at least 12 to 14 hours. I truly appreciated their nightly shows,
but with 2 young kids, I wish they started the show an hour earlier.
They started at 9:45 P.M.The beach was blah. There was a very small
area roped off for swimming. There was actually one day that the water
was fairly clear. But my god, the wind. Stay away from the beach in the
afternoon, unless you like being pelted with sand. This is my major
complaint. When I visit a resort on the beach, in the Caribbean, I go
there rder. At the Coral Marien, the pool is the main feature as the
beach is far too windy.I found the food bland and definitely not 4
star. I would give it one star. They also have a Mexican restaurant you
can pay an additional amount for. I did not as I did not trust the food
would be very good. On Friday nights for an additional $32 per person,
you can have dinner by the pool and all the lobster your can eat. I did
not partake. If I am at an all-inclusive hotel and that is what I paid
for that is what I expect.Congratulations to Yvonne in the Kid Paradise
and Delores one of the servers. They exhibited genuine friendliness.
Would I return? NO. Be careful of the excursions, no one seems to be
able to describe them and the prices vary. Stay away from the guy on
the beach all his prices were higher than the hotels. Unbeknownst to us
we took our children on the Jeep Safari tour. Big mistake, it is not
for children or weak swimmers.
-------------
I have had some time to ponder my comments in "Never Again." So as not
to mislead anyone, "Never Again" refers to my thoughts on visiting that
particular location in the Domincan Republic. One cannot judge an
entiree country by a one week visit to a specific location. So I would
in fact return to the Dominican Republic, but I would explore other
areas."

• Travel date: Sun 15th of June 2003

An amazing experience for the second time!

"Once again I have had the best week of my life. Returning to this resort for a second time was the best decision I made. Our check in was incredibly smooth. We were welcomed with a drink and friendly smiles and our room requests were accomodated quickly. Our rooms were ready several minutes after arriving even though we were quite early for check in time. The rooms were always kept very clean, as was the rest of the hotel. There were always people around cleaning areas of the hotel and the grounds. The food was fantastic. I was with a group of people that are picky eaters and they always managaed to find something to eat. The pool is beautiful and very large. There is always something to do by the pool thanks to the CHOCOLATE FRIENDS. The inidividuals were the highlight of my trip once again. They were extremely hard every day from 10am to 1am running activities, putting on shows and dancing in the disco. Their presence during the day adn they're presence at the disco made for a truly memorable vacation. I would like to thanks Jimmy, Grace, Kenya, Wati-40, Jairo, Chi-Chi and Pepperonni for helping make this vacation what is was. Also, don't miss out on the shows...they were amazing. The man behind the beautiful scenery is Alixander Silverio. his guy is incredibly talented and works very hard at what he does. Overall, this resort was amazing and I would strongly recommend it to anyone interested in Puerto Plata. Once again I left the resort in tears thinking of the friends I left behind and of the memories made. Thank you to Alix S for being such an amazing person and I can't wait to see you again. Also thanks to Jimmy and Grace, you guys are amazing and we all miss you already! Gracias!"

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of June 2003

Bringing Children? Read this one....

"This is a letter I submitted to the Coral Marien after our stay with them......I am writing to you in regards to a recent vacation that I took with my family and friends April 19-26, 2003. After looking though many brochures, travel guides and visiting numerous web sites we booked our vacation in November of 2002 with Air Transat to stay at the Hotel Coral Marien Beach Resort in Puerto Plata. There were a number of reasons that we choose your resort. Our number one reason was the kids club that you offered to families. Travelling with our own two children and our friends two children (ages 7-11), this was at the top of our list of things to look at when choosing a resort. The Coral Marien web site gave us just what we wanted to hear: 1. Daily activities with our Chocolate Friends include: Beach Volleyball, waterpolo, aerobics and Latin dance classes, nintendo, horseshoes, ping pong, mini golf and beach parties.. At night, they look forward to theme parties, mini disco, a weekly special night.. This was followed by an example of a weekly activity calendar. Problem: When first arriving at the kids club we were greeted by a very friendly and lovely women named Yvonne. She introduced us to the program but when asked for a schedule of activities, she could not produce one for us. She told us that they did not have enough staff to accommodate such a schedule. On rare occasions when she could coordinate with other Chocolate Friends they did an Easter egg hunt and a mini Olympics with the kids (which consisted of two games that took 10 minutes). Otherwise, the kids had no structured activities. This left us with no options to go and try to do things by ourselves; the children did not want to go to kids club for long extended hours because there was nothing to do. Mini Disco was geared to 3-6 year olds singing put your right hand in, put your right hand out and dancing with a clown. One evening had an activity with the children lip synchronizing to music. They loved that. But, the staff seemed to be put onws 6 staff members interacting with the children at the kids club with a wonderful schedule of activities following. Your program also states that it is supervised. We were asked if our children were allowed to leave the kids club on their own to come and find us. We told staff (Yvonne) that the children were only to leave accompanied by one of their parents for safety concerns. I was headed to get my 7 year old daughter at kids club and was surprised to have her meet me as I was only half way there myself. Why was she away from kids club without a supervising adult? I question this? 2. Welcome: A DAZZLING JEWEL in a STUNNING SETTING.. Advertised here we were told that you had an oversized pool with a waterslide. Something again that the children were looking forward to. A waterslide did not exist! 3. 24 HOURS ALL- INCLUSIVE: all meals, drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic, domestic and international) When we arrived we were told that only the Dominicans beer Presidente beer was all-inclusive and all other beer would have to be purchased for a fee. However, when we arrived at The Coral Marien everyday bought us disappointment and frustration. I will give you an overview of our stay with The Coral Marien. Upon arrival we checked in at the front desk. We had requested that we have adjoining rooms with the family that we were travelling with for childcare purposes. Our rooms were not adjoining. They did get us rooms side by side, but could not accommodate our request for adjoining. Arriving at our oceanview room that we paid extra for was a disappointment. We could see a little bit of ocean though all of the trees. But we had a better view of the mini golf course. Getting clean beach towels was always a problem. Several days we reused wet beach towels because there were no clean ones. Hotel towels were the same. We would leave our room in the morning and came back and try to shower for dinner and the hotel staff had taken our towels and had not replaced them. Trying to make a reservation at your specialty restaurantat we had everything figured out. We went to the reservation desk at about 2:30 in the afternoon and asked to make reservations for the next night. We were told that we needed to come in after 9 a.m. the next morning to make those reservations. I went back the next morning at 9:10 and was told that I could have a reservation at 9pm that evening. This is too late with our children. She then tells me that I need to be there before 9am and wait in line before she arrives. There was never any follow through with prizes for the children or the adults. My husband won a ping pong tournament and was told that he won a bottle of rum and to come to show time to pick up his prize. We went to the show and my husband never received his bottle of rum. He received a certificate of participation. Our children on several occasions were told after winning activities at the pool to come to mini disco to get their Prize. We would show up and be told that they were going to do the prizes at the 9:45 show for everyone. It was never what they originally told us. My children and my husband left the resort never receiving any prizes from the staff that they were supposed to receive. Not a huge deal, but it is the principal. I felt like we walked around all day trying to be at the right place at the right time. To be where the Chocolate Friends would tell us to be to pick up prizes, make reservations, etc and it never worked out that way. Pool deck and sidewalks are extremely slippery and I am thankful that my kids did not get hurt, we saw others that did. Departing from breakfast one morning we were approached by a gentleman that asked us if we wanted to come and listen to him about how we could enjoy more vacations like this one with a special promotion that they were offering to families. We asked if it was a time-share and he said that it was not a time-share just a special promotion. We told him to come and find us in the afternoon when our husbands were with us and we would let him know. He did come and find us and we let him know t morning at breakfast the same gentleman stopped my husband and invited him to again to come and listen to their special promotion My husband had to tell him 3 times that we were under no circumstances interested in listening. On Wednesday when we came in to shower for dinner we found a note that told us that we needed to place all of our personal belongings in the closet so that they could fumigate the room on Wednesday or Thursday of that week. We made several attempts to call the front desk to inquire about what they needed to do, the safety of fumigating, how long we had to be out of the room, etc. Whenever we would try to use the telephone to call front desk or other services the telephones gave us a quick busy signal. Again, we felt like we were always running around to try and get answers that we needed. Before departing and after paying for our trip, our travel agent gave us a call and told us that they had changed our returning flight on April 26th. With this schedule change, we would have to pack up our room and check out 6½ hours before our departure to the airport. We asked you if we could extend our check out to a later time and was told that we could do so by paying fifty U.S. dollars. We argued about paying the extra fee and were told us that the hotel was booked solid and we had to pay or we would have to check out. Our two families ended up splitting the cost and shared one room for the afternoon. Which, I wasnt happy that the airline could just change our flight and then just leave us stuck to accommodate ourselves with comfortable accommodations for our families and especially the children. This situation was bothersome, but when I found out that another family that was flying with us did not have to pay for their room, I became extremely displeased! Across the board, my family and the other family that we were travelling with had an enjoyable time with each other. But, we could have done that at home in my own kitchen. Your hotel and staff disappointed our families with false advertising via yat catalog. I also did not enjoy being hounded to take time to sit away from our family and friends to listen to a sales pitch. We all try to get away from things like this while on vacation. No telemarkers, no telephone calls, etc. We came to relax in an atmosphere that was described to us in a beautiful way via the Internet. It matched all of our criteria beautifully. Unfortunately, the beauty and atmosphere changed when we arrived. I wish I could say that it was the best vacation ever. I would not recommend your hotel because of these reasons. I had higher expectations from a resort carrying the name Hilton."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of June 2003

Had fun at Coral Marien

Good

"Just returned from a 6 day 5 night stay at Coral Marien. First of all, I'll have to warn anyone who books their trip through Expedia to please print out all your itinerary information and your receipts from the website. That is because, without a copy of your itinerary (that Expedia never tells you that you need), you will not be able to check into the resort. It was rather a rocky start to the vacation which just put me into a bad mood rather quick. Instead of the reception staff offering me an internet connection to print out my itinerary for them to look at, they told me to go over to the internet services (where I would have to pay 60 pesos for a 1/2 hour) and print out my itinerary for them in order to check in. I was not a happy camper about this, so I go over to the internet area and ask the lady if I can print something out. She tells me no that her printer does not work, to go back to the reception desk and ask them for their email address and email it to them. What a joke!! I was fuming by now and my party of 8 knew better than to try and calm me down. So, I proceed back to the reception desk and tell them the printer is broken and what is their email address. Finally the guy tells me to visit the information booth and they'll let me use the connection (for free) to print out the itinerary. What a hassle! So, instead of checking in with my license and credit card like most places I've been to, I had to have the paper from Expedia that was not the part that says please print for your records. They didn't want the confirmation receipt, they wanted my itinerary. Overall, I thought that this a very unnecessary burden and inconvenience.So, after about 1/2 hour of trying to check in, we go to our rooms and their is two beds, when I requested 1 and the fan creeks. So, we change from our travelling clothes into our suits and proceed back to the lobby desk. Of course, what another battle that was! It took the staff another 1/2 hour to try and find us a room with a King bed that had an Oceanfront resort wasn't that full! When they did finally figure out what room, we would have to wait an hour before we could get in because the room was not clean. So, we took off for the pool! Whew!The resort is nicely kept and the rooms are nice. I'm not sure what other people except when they see four stars but I was happy with the roominess of the room and the bathroom size. I'm not there to spend my day there so I guess I don't expect too much. The tv was small but I didn't care. The view was great! I was in 4117. Looking right on the beach. Is it four star? For me, I would say that it met that. I didn't experience any bugs or roaches in our room(s). Although our clothes line receptacle was installed upside down but we just made due with the shower curtain rod.The beach was clean and as for seaweed that I've seen people complaining about, I didn't see. I must not have gone to the beach at the right time to see all the seaweed but the few times I was on the beach, there was not that much. I was there at dusk and at 9 a.m. Walking down the beach to other resorts beaches, I would have to say that Coral's beach was good.As for the timeshare hounds. We were approached only twice during the 6 days we were there. The only other time we were approached for anything was by Joyce from Bronx for the Lorilar Ranch for horseback riding. Other than that, we didn't get hassled by anyone except for the guy who offered you the fruit around the pool.We did go on a City Tour which really wasn't much but we did get to go into part of the Brugal factory. Where the rum was sold cheap! Just 65 peso's for the 151 and for the lesser quality 55 pesos. Can't beat that! And t-shirt with Brugal is 65 pesos which comes out to $2.40 American Dollars! The tour cost about 5 bucks per person for the cab ride. And of course we tipped the tour guide. It wasn't a great tour but it was nice to be able to see the area.Part of our group went on a "safari" which was about 6 bucks per person not including paying for tip to the guides. They went up 7lide down rocks into the pools of water or to dive. The last one you have to jump but the previous 6 you can slide down. The guides are wonderful and make sure that you don't drown and gives you a hand when you need to be pulled up or out. Even if you can't swim very well, the guides will taxi ride you to safety after you jump or dive. Everyone had a wonderful time on the trip and were glad they did it.Meanwhile, I went on the all day horseback riding trip. It was really nice because it was just the two of us going on the all day excursion and our guide. So, it was three of us total. We saw some wonderful country and really nice sites. Even got to try some sugar cane at our rest stop. Where I befriended the local dog, Bobby. We did stop at a watering hole and got to swim in wonderfully fantastic clear water. It was really refreshing. Then we stopped by and had lunch where we had great rice with beans and chicken and pork and chooka. Had some rum with coffee and lots of Presidente beer. Had fun watching Bobby the dog chase after bees. We decided it was time to head back to civilization and Bobby the dog gave us an escort for about 1/2 hour. It was sad to see him leave us. Overall, the ride was great especially if you are not an experienced rider, which I am not. And got to feed my horse, Cocheese, a banana which he enjoyed.We also took a trip to Sousa and did some snorkeling and sunning. Snorkeling cost about 350 pesos and you get to see the coral and about three different kind of fish swimming around. I happened to bring along an underwater camera and our guide took all the pictures for us since he's experienced et al. It was my first time snorkeling and I was not aware that my mask was too big and not my fault as to all the salt water my nose was inhaling. Fortunately, my sister had her own mask and let me use hers. Once I had a tight enough mask on, I had a great time! We did go to the shops located by the beach where we haggled and bought but the prices at Sousa are a lot higher than in Puerto Plata. So, bewarof the beach by Coral Marien. They are ready to bargain and treat you right. My sister who is good at haggling and looking pretty was able to get some really good deals and get a buy one get one free on lots of things. Mr. Cheapy cheapy is a great guy to visit. He's go blue eyes and on crutches, so he's not hard to miss. He gives great deals and is very nice.As for the nght life, there really is not much but by that time of the night we were not really into doing much partying. Having a full day of activities we were pretty much pooped out. We did go to see the Chocolate Friends show on two occassions and went to the disco one night. The music is mostly latin and the Chocolate friends tries to get the resort goers up there to dance so that's pretty funny at times. They do offer a ride over to the casino on some nights but we never went over there. So, if you are looking for nightlife, there really isn't much here to do on that part. We were happy to have dinner late and then walk a bit and then retire to our rooms to wake early for another day of fun. So, we weren't upset about the lack of nightlife there.The food was good and the desserts were wonderful. The ice-cream was some of the best ice-cream I've ever tasted. We did go to the Carribean Grille (the pay restaurant) where my boyfriend had the lobster and loved every bit of it. Unfortunately, we were leaving on Friday because that night, the Carribean Grille was having the all you can eat lobster feast for 32 bucks. We did also eat at the Mexican restaurant where everyone was happy with their meal except for two persons who got the taco's without ranchero sauce, it was a bit bland for their taste. And the other got the fish and it was too fishy and very tough. Other than that, we had a great time and for the most part the food was good. What do you expect for buffet style? I was happy with what they had to offer.The only gripes I have to voice are the lobby desk at check in and the information booth lady (blond) who was absolutely no help whatsoever. She neveconcierge was so helpful and always willing to do the best he could to get us to do what we wanted. If it wasn't for him, we probably would not have had the great excursions we had. And for the porters at the airport when we left. They just snatched our bags out of the taxi and were expecting to be paid big dollars for moving our bags less than 10 ft. My boyfriend only had a buck left and gave it to the guy and the guy refused it and went on about something which we had no clue about. My sister tried to do the same thing and he started to speak very sternly to her and she whipped out a five to make him stop. I didn't think that was very appropriate as the last impression of our trip. She also got her 151 rum taken away from her, which we didn't know she couldn't take home.Well, that was our trip and I want to thank every prior to my review for their reviews. I took all of them very seriously and weighed my whole trip on the reviews I read. I think this forum is wonderful for anyone who is thinking about going somewhere and they want to see the true feedback from real travellers. Thanks and hope you find this review helpful.Btw, if you can get to town and get to an exchange place or bank. You can get more bang for your buck. Our hotel was only offering 22.50 rate while in town we got 27. Try their bananamamas.Have a good trip!"

• Travel date: Sun 1st of June 2003

Not so hot for a Hilton...Dont waste your money!!!!

"Let's start with Check in. The hotel itself is beautiful & is on a very large piece of property. We were greeted with a welcome fruit juice cocktail . After we checked in the bell boy took our bags, Then just pointed to where our room was. We had no idea where Building 4 was, they didn't show us . If you had to ask , a gardener or bus boy by the pool no one spoke english except for the front desk!! (and some bartenders) We had booked an ocean front/ ocean view room, but when we finally got there we were on the 3rd floor with the view of the ocean blocked by HUGE trees. We could hear the ocean but not see it! The rooms were ok/ but had beat up furniture. The toilet leaked from the tank from the time we checked in until we checked out. The food was pretty good. the thing that bothered me was , If this is supposed to be an All-Inclusive why is it you had to pay one of the resturaunts on the property . The safe in the room did not have a lock you had too pay for that too!! I've been to SANDALS & other all-inclusives that actually meant what they said...all- inclusive Now the "Chocolate Friends"..... The only time these people seemed to work was at the pool when they were being watched by managment. When they would announce a beach volleyball game people would show up & these guys would sit on their asses & hit on all the single women. The only time the chocolate friends were sweet was if you were a single female!!! The one redeming thing was our Horse back riding tour... It was great because it was NOT part of the hotel. The woman who ran the tour was originally from NY. She moved down there 16 yrs. ago. The horses were great, the country was very beautiful... if you can handle people dumping there garbage along the side of the road on the mountian. I was told the Dominicans are not very enviromentally concious people., The guides on the horses were good, if you dropped something they got it for you before you even noticed it was gone.... Now,I understand some nasty things about all of the women on the tour. Not very smart of them because a lot of Americans (especially NYer's understand spanish) The same can be said for thwe scuba diving. i saw more tires and PVC pipe than FISH!! Here's the bottom line The Dominican Republic is cheap, thats why Americans go.... Some advice ..spend a little extra cash & go to Jamaica I love SANDALS... been there 3 x worth the money. I'll never go to tthis island again! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!"

• Travel date: Thu 29th of May 2003

Disgusting Hotel - Worst Ever!

"Hi,

Spent Xmas and New Year at this no where near 4star Plus hotel. Filthy rooms, broken air conditioning, broken wardrobes, filthy fridge, crease covered floors from dirty mop buckets, bedding that stank of body odor and damp.
Block 4, more like cell a block - room 4204. The lighting in the rooms and corridors very weak. The food was the cheapest uncooked rubbish you can imagine. I have now come back and been tested positive for Salmonella, vomiting, etc. The snack bar should be closed due to decaying food every where. The drinks are the cheapest quality possible, supplied in kids miniature plastic cups. Entertainment very poor! Staff were very good, beach, sea and sun good. Thomson should remove this hotel from there listings. If you have never been to 4 star hotel and are happy to eat and drink crap you will love it. I am not a snob but basic hygiene and quality food is a must. Do not book a holiday at this hotel, go to your local caravan site, you will get better there. The Thomson rep should be ashamed to take people there and drop them off."

• Travel date: Fri 16th of January 2015

I read a lot of online reviews before fi...

"I read a lot of online reviews before finally choosing this hotel. It easily has one of the best pools in the region and it looks as good as the brochure pictures. We stayed here for two weeks (just returned yesterday) and it was much better than we expected for an all-inclusive complex.

The food was pretty varied, there are four restaurants and we rarely had problems getting a table at any of them. The main buffet restaurant did a different theme every night and the food was good - on some occasions some of the food here was exceptional. We ate just about everything and had no problems with upset stomachs etc. There were no stories about food poisoning from anyone we spoke to.

The complex is situated about 100m from the sea. We were upgraded on arrival and received an ocean view which was amazing. As we got up late most days, we sometimes struggled to find sun beds either on the beach or by the pool. The only downside to this hotel is that there are not enough 'shaded' areas. The sun shades are always taken early but I guess you need to get up very early to beat the Germans!

Nightlife here is quiet. If you are expecting a mad night out, go to Ibiza! There are three bars on the complex. They have a sports bar (inside) with a couple of pool tables, football tables and a big screen. We did find a few bars off the complex in Playa Dorada shopping complex ($7 taxi ride). There is a British pub also and the beers are pretty cheap.
The American Casino was rubbish - really small and limited tables and games. You do get a free taxi one way but you really couldn't spend much time there.

We only did one excursion - a helicopter ride. 15 minutes cost about £45 each and it was the best money we'd spent all holiday. From talking to other people who have stayed in Costa Dorada and Playa Dorada before, the Marien Coral is one of the best hotels. The only other hotel that was recommended was the Iberostar next door. During the helicopter ride, I could see why these two were the best.

• Travel date: Sun 25th of March 2007

Hotels near Be Live Collection Marien

Stayed at Be Live Collection Marien? Share your insight.

Be Live Collection Marien is also called