About Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

• casino
  • butler service

june 2011

Reviewed Tue 26th of July 2011

"very disappointed, been to the country a few time only positive maids they work very hard rooms clean , food edible sometimes will not be back to this hotelnot when it was over 2.400 for two weeks and not gold
ada mac

• Travel date: Sat 16th of July 2011

Bad, Dirty sea

Reviewed Mon 21st of June 2010

"We been there 2 weeks and Sea was very dirty all the time beacause very dirty river near by.
Food went off then check what you eat.
Staff dont speek english and swimming pool full of flyes but not all the time and to many local people coming to resort.
Resort look nice but the rest is big problem specialy the sea rivers are better in england???
SEA DIRTY SEA DIRTY SEA DIRTY"

• Travel date: Sun 20th of June 2010

The good, the bad and the ugly

Reviewed Tue 30th of December 2008

"A mixed view of this hotel and resort.

The good:
The grounds are beautifully landscaped and well tended - fabulous. Numerous birds (including a hummingbird that we never actually managed to capture on film), butterflies, flowers. Paradise.
The main hotel lobby is very classy with marble floors, numerous comfy sofas.
Our room (3713 in block 37) was right by the beach, with fabulous sunset views. Beautifully appointed with hairdryer, iron and ironing board, coffee filter, minibar (topped up daily) and towel art most days.
Staff always smiling and happy to please. A small tip goes a long way...
No complaints whatsoever on any of the above. Wonderful!

The bad:
Very ISOLATED (2km from main road, and miles from nearest town San Pedro. Taxi quoted at $40). This is fine if you're happy with a resort-based holiday, but very limiting if you like to get out and about.
FOOD. Usual AI buffet, mainly tasty. The speciality restaurants were very variable - from excellent to inedible (think it depends on the cook on duty for the day). There seemed to be quite a lot of tummy upsets (and worse) whilst we were there. However, I gather the hotel is under new management and there seemed to be a big 'shake up' of dining areas during our second week. So hopefully things will improve.

The ugly:
The SEAWATER is very, very cloudy (see photo). Apparently this is due to environmental issues (hurricane Olga was mentioned) that the hotel has been battling to improve for many months with no apparent success. So don't plan on snorkeling - we took a couple of trips to Catalina Island for crystal clear seas ($55 from Dive Centre on beach. Expensive, but fantastic snorkeling).

Useful info:
There's an ATM to the right of main reception. Worked fine. Research which bank account/card to use, you may end up with a real bargain on exchange rates etc. Exchange rates at reception are predictably poor, but they will change large notes down (for tips).
Brush up on your Spanish - most waiting staff have very little English, but reception and senior staff seem to be very multi-lingual.
Take insulated beakers (buy in UK, very expensive in resort shops) for keeping drinks cool on beach, and sand free.
Mossies are a real pest - use a good repellant, and pack something for bites (if anyone knows of anything that works to stop the itching, please let me know).
Early mornings can be very cool in Winter, so pack a sweater.
3 hour transfer from Punta Cana airport, so be prepared with snacks/water.
Both US$ and Dominican Pesos are used here, but it's easier to use just the latter if you're from the UK. Take a few with you, and just withdraw whatever you need from the ATM in Pesos. ATM only issues 500 or 1000 notes.

• Travel date: Tue 30th of December 2008

The Beach and Accomodation are Excellent...

Reviewed Tue 11th of March 2008

"The Beach and Accomodation are Excellent! but the Food is awfull, both in the main Restuarant and the a la carte (3) of them. Main critisism is the food its either under or over cooked.
The carvery offers good selection but the Vegetables dont match! Pork with Red beans and Reheated Chips no boiled potatoes! No Peas, but Rice . Nothing seemed to compliment the main dish. The beach bar was our only saviour with a selection of Spaghetti Bolognese or Rotisori Chicken,also hot dogs and burgers which were quite reasonable. However, All 4 of us went down with Stomach disorders,Sickness and Diahorrea.another 6 Brits also suffered thesame problems,some more serious than us!
The staff are quite good,polite in the main but only understand small ammount of English so you often gets wrong drinks served up. Wine is terrible unless you buy i t in the a la carte,s but be warned it,s 22 dollars a bottle and is not as good as Aldi,s £3.00 battles.Shame to say we did not enjoy because we were at the same group Bahia Principe in San Juan 2006 it was excellent before they too had similar problems in 2007."

• Travel date: Tue 11th of March 2008

five reasons to stay away

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"I stayed at the property for two weeks with my wife and teen-aged daughter after my travel agent [by accident or design?] booked us to the Bahia Principe in La Romana rather than the Bahia Principe in Punta Cana.I discovered the error one day prior to departure but was unable to switch as all Bavaro Beach properties were fully booked.
The La Romana property had just undergone a six month renovation and features a very attractive main reception/dining room/entertainment centre as well as upscale rooms[particularly bathrooms...Swedish shower heads, etc.]...friendly staff,good food.....
BUT! Five reasons to stay away...
1.For whatever reason,the area is an ideal breeding environment for rapacious mosquitos,black flies,gnats,and sand flies which are particularly bad after dark.Several guests relocated to other properties during our stay.
2.Total isolation.There is absolutely nothing in the area...this is a big problem because the casino is like a funeral home,the so-called gym is full of rusty iron,and the spa[although totally renovated] features therapists who really are less than skilled.Apparently,all Bahia Principe properties require all massage clients to wear a diaper-like undergarment while receiving massage treatment at the spa or bathing suit if at the beach location.
3.Virtually none of the spa,dining room,maid staff speaks any english,which means that the simplist request becomes a challenge.
4.The harbour is being dredged,which means that the water all along the beach is very murky;I don't recall a single ocean swimmer during my stay.
5.I don't drink but many guests complained about the quantity and quality of alcohol[which may become increasingly important if staying there for any length of time]."

• Travel date: Tue 8th of January 2008

Disappointing...

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"The good… most of the staff was great, especially the entertainment & bar staff. The buffet was quite good for an AI resort.

The not so good… the resort is in the middle of nowhere. If you want complete seclusion and do not want to go anywhere then here is the place. La Romana is about 45 minutes away and Santo Domingo is about 1hr 30min. San Pedro is about 10 minutes away but there’s not a lot there. Everyone talks about going to San Pedro to shop at the “Jumbo”. It’s basically a Wal Mart and not that exciting.

The beach was ok but definitely not up to the same standards as most Caribbean beaches. Very peaceful and relaxing since it’s so huge and there was maybe 200 people at the resort. The water is horrible. It was so murky when we were there that in ankle deep water you couldn’t see your toes. I also heard there was a lot of jellyfish in the water but I didn’t venture out to check.

The pool area was nice. Lots of chairs but that was because there was no one at the resort.

We tried all the á la cartes once but did not bother going back. The Italian and gourmet were alright but we preferred the buffet. Quite a few people that ate at the seafood restaurant, including my friend, ended up sick.

The bugs were very bad even though they spray toxic chemicals around the resort everyday. It’s not just mosquitoes but ants and spiders. I tried 3 types of bug spray and nothing worked. All the evening entertainment and bars (except the disco) are outside which made it difficult to escape the bugs.

Housekeeping was very poor. A couple days they did not even bother to clean our room. We had to ask for towels and water. One afternoon we returned from the beach to find our room door open and no one in the room. Thankfully nothing was taken but the maid must have left it open. We had other security issues as well. One night we were followed home from the disco by locals that managed to get wristbands but were not staying at the resort.

I wouldn’t recommend this resort to anyone. Most of the singles that arrived at the resort while we were there lasted one night and they paid extra to go back to Punta Cana."

• Travel date: Fri 4th of January 2008

amazing

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"The hotel is fantastic. If you have seen any bad reviews and are worried about this place, don't be. I cannot fault the hotel in any way. It was spotlessly clean, plenty of things to do. Loads of great choices for food and drink. The beach is man made, but very nice. The one and only let down was the sea water. If you are going to the carribbean and white sandy beaches and clear blue seas are an absolute must for you then i would not go to this particular hotel. It is a real shame because it would've been the cherry on the cake for what is a really beautiful hotel.
BUGS: I DID NOT SEE OR WAS BITTEN BY ONE SINGLE SAND FLEA! I would recommend taking bug repellent as there are some mosquitos around, these are minimal in the resort as they go around each evening with a repellent. It is like a fog that isn't very nice, but its not around for long, but when you venture away from the hotel, you realise just how much its keeping the mosquitos at bay.
TIPS: There is a snorkeling trip to Catalina island which is unmissable. The boat leaves directly from the beach of the hotel and takes 45 mins. when you get there it is post card caribbean. we saw some amazing fish! p.s you must take some bread with you from the restaurant. Hold it out under the water and the fish will come and eat it. It cost 55 US dollars per person and was worth every penny. If you need to pee while you are there, go in the sea like everyone else. My husband went into a bush and came out covered in mosquitos!!!
DOWNSIDE: The one and only niggle i have is the transfer. We flew into Punta Cana airport and was told when i booked the holiday that it would take an hour and a half. Rubbish! it is 3 hours on a coach! The fact that i had been misled was more annoying than the actual transfer, it sounds like a long time, but actually wasn't too bad, and i would do it again to stay at this hotel."

• Travel date: Tue 1st of January 2008

Loved it! (Santana Beach Resort)

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"I went at this hotel last year when it had the name: "Santana Beach Resort". At that time, it was considered to be a 4 star hotel and I paid about 1600 CAN $ for the complete trip (7 days). This year, with the new name, I have the impression it is more expensive (about 2000 CAN $) for the same trip at the same time. I won't go this year but as I watched the photos, I think they renovated the lobby and the overall site is a little bit more luxurious. Nevertheless I'm sure you would get the same fun I had there last year. The staff is super, respectful and polite! The rooms are very very clean, hadn't any problems of insects of some kind, even the maid are smily. The lobby is soooo charming! Food in restaurants was really good, kitchens and buffet were very clean. The only problem may be the water at the beach. It's not clear at all...not as we say it is in the Carrabeans. The thing is the beach is manmade as well as the artificial bay in front. Therefore water can't move naturally. Anyway, you have the opportunity ($) to do a trip to Saona Island. It's not so expensive, maybe 40 CAN $ for a whole day. It's reallllyyyy worth it! Very beautiful! I was enchanted by this landscape! Go for it! It's all an adventure! Then, the site offers fun activities. You won't get bored at this hotel. When I went at 1600 CAN $, it was really worth the money! I went with Sunwing Company and we always had somebody with us who spoke French (I'm from Québec). That was great! Very good company except for the delay of the plane when we went back. But ok for only 3-4 hours plane trip.

I recommand it!!!!!!!!!!!! Very charming place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Take a look at the travelers pictures: it's the truth!) :-)"

• Travel date: Mon 31st of December 2007

Relaxing Getaway

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"If you are looking for a relaxing getaway with nothing to do but swim, lay by the pool/beach, and eat, this is the place for you. The resort is isolated from other resorts and very quiet. Hardly any Americans- mostly Europeans and Canadians- which was a nice change! There are also 2 nice clay tennis courts and free boats (kayaks, mini-catamarans, pedal boats, windsurfers)."

• Travel date: Mon 31st of December 2007

too many biting bugs

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"the resort was wonderful except for the sand fleas which bit you without you knowing. by the time I got home I had over seventy bites.Had to go to doctors for medicine to clear up the bites as they were very, very itchy. every night at 630 they defogged entire resort with insect spray that was very strong.One afternoon they even came to the beach area spraying. I had to leave the area for the smell. if you are sensitive to insectiside then avoid this resort as i could smell it everyday when at the beach area at the resort. when they sprayed you had to go indoors as it was very heavy spray which lingered in the air. Can't be good for you. Even in the indoor restaurant there were dead flies on table after they sprayed outside. the water was not clear at all due to river that runs into the ocean beside the resort. You could not see the bottom . Not at all clear like the Punta Cana area.We took a trip thru sunquest at the resort to catalina island. trip was great except that they forgot to send someone to pick us up at 4pm. After waiting one and a half hours we finally decided to take a taxi back to the resort. Would take this trip from the resort and forget about booking with sunquest.Would not go back to this area of DR but would return to Punta Cana area again."

• Travel date: Sun 30th of December 2007

Hmmm this is a hard one...

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"In my opinion, GBP La Romana is a great hotel in a very very bad location.
We booked the junior suite golden club through Air Transat.
Hola Victor from Air Transat thanks for everything.

Check-In was done on the bus and our room was ready when we arrived at the resort.

The staff were excellent; they quickly learned your name and were very attentive. Some of the more memorable were Yinga (I hope I spelled it correctly) from the Golden Club, Santiago who mixed excellent drinks in the lobby, Cipriani I believe was the beverage supervisor and Eddy the photo guy who loves you for free. I believe Eddy is going to be working at Casa del Mar as of this week. I know just the very basics in Spanish and we had absolutely no problems communicating.

Our room was always immaculate; made up early in the day with turn down service while we were out for dinner. After some controversial forums on this site as whether or not gifts are a good idea or not I only took a few items. Our maid who we tipped with cash came to our room to say "gracias for the gift" after I had also left her a Canadian ball cap. Others told me they preferred gifts to cash, maybe it depends on the area you go to. I always tipped with cash, the gift was a little something extra from Canada.

The food was AI resort food; good selection and nobody went hungry.

The alcohol grande Brugals, free flowing cervezas what can I say…

The Beach
A beautiful setting plenty of palapas and chairs however they have a serious problem with sand fleas, even the hotel admits to it. Plan not to be on the beach. People were bitten so badly that they had to use after bite and take Benadryl for the swelling and itching. My husband's legs were pretty bad and as I scratched mine I noticed a woman doing the same...I no longer felt sorry for myself as her ankles were very swollen and red. Little black flies were also bad at the beach restaurant and out by the Pueblo Principe. Everybody including the animation staff itched.

Shortly after 6 pm and without warning they fog the resort, be prepared to run. If it wasn't so bad it would've been funny; picture it people sitting in the lobby having drinks suddenly disappear into the fog.

Early one morning we saw two employees with masks on and blowers fumigating the sand. Not a place you would want to walk barefoot afterwards or allow your children to play.

The water was murky from a river not far from the resort. Apparently when it rains and it rained while we were there as we caught the tail end of tropical storm Olga, mud is washed down the river which stirs up the bay. GBP has more plans to improve the beach with a water feature not sure what can be done about the bugs and water though.

There is a neat little man made island not far from the beach which is a nice place to visit for an hour or so. A boat runs every hour on the hour or you can kayak or take a pedal boat out to it. There are no services on the island other than a cooler full of bottled water, plenty of palapas and chairs. It was a nice place to chill for an hour or so. If you go out you could always pack some drinks and a snack as the view from your own private little island was beautiful.

Would I go back? Personally no. That being said other vacationers there said it was great and would not hesitate to return."

• Travel date: Fri 28th of December 2007

The Great Gran Bahia

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"Excellent hotel. Booked at the last minute with First Choice and upgraded to premium class (well worth the extra money for a bit more comfort). Flight to Punta Cana was good and progressed quickly through arrival lounge. Transport to hotel was around 3 hours 30 minutes due to Dominican traffic - annoying but worth it.

HOTEL - clean, a few bugs but it is a 3rd world country in the Carribbean - what do you expect!. Rooms big and comfortable - cleaned well . Stayed in Block 17 - good views of sunset and pool. Bath and shower really good. At the end of the day did not spend to much time in the room - we were on holiday.

RESTUARANTS - Good choice of food - if you can't find something you like from here there really is no hope for you. Still if you like chips/burgers/pizza's theres always the beach bar or the burger hut.

ENTERTAINMENT TEAM - Excellent - big shout out to Francis, Tony (please throw him in the pool if you can catch him) and Daniel -great guys who work hard day and night.

POOL AREA - very clean

BEACH - again very clean although the water is cloudy - beach at the Iberostar in Bayahibe is better.

Been to the DR 10 times now and this is one of the better hotels and would return again and again .

Big hello to all we met there especially Rachael and Natasha from Scotland, Michael and his girlfriend and anyone else. If you have any questions happy to answer them - [email protected]"

• Travel date: Thu 27th of December 2007

Hotels near Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Top traveller tips for Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

• kandeg by kandeg

"Very secluded, ideal for lazy holiday if you don't intend to swim in the sea. "

• kandeg by kandeg

"Boat trip to Catalina island - paradise! "

Grand Bahia Principe La Romana is also called