Pool Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace

• kids club
  • babysitting

Enjoyed the week

Reviewed 8th November 2012

"After reading the reviews for the Dominican Republic in general, I was a little apprehensive for traveling there. We just spent the week of April 17th-24th and had a great week at the Palace. I went prepared with cans of peanuts, bottled water, and a prescription for traveler's diarrhea. I am happy to say that although I ate some peanuts by choice, none of those items were truly needed by my husband or myself. We booked our week as RCI owners and were treated well upon arrival. Check in went well, although checking out we did experience a problem with the credit card machine not working with our credit card. We will be checking into that. The buffets were good, the fruit was wonderful. We visited the Italian, Mexican and the Pizza restuarants. Of those the Italian was our least favorite as I guess we were expecting more of an "Americanized" Italian meal. The poolside bar did lack variety as it served hamburgers and hot dogs daily. The staff all around seemed very nice, even to us Americans that basically speak one Spanish word....Hola. My husband and I are basically people watchers as opposed to being involved in the poolside or theatre activities. The staff made an attempt to get us involved, but were not pushy and once realizing that we were much more comfortable watching, left us to enjoy. They work so hard, I was just impressed watching them go from mid morning at the pool to late evening in the theatre. (Actually they kept going at the disco, but we couldn't keep up with them. The disco opened a little late for us.) I liked the theatre which we went to twice. It was nice to be entertained, although my husband did not care to go back the second night. One complaint about the rooms would have to be the pillows were way too thick for our personal choice. We had debated on taking our children with us, but decided against it after never traveling there before. Once there, we felt that the kids would have really enjoyed it. There were quite a few kids there and actually many more English speaking than I had expected. We didn't try any of the excursions, which we would have liked to. When we stopped by the activities desk we did have some language barriers with that particular worker and we never went back to check into things later. Anyway, we had a great time just getting the rest and relaxation that we received. Also, we did book a taxi through Rafeal Silva from a previous trip advisor review. Thank you so much for that recommendation! It was a warm welcome to have a driver waiting for us at the airport and then the return to the airport also. That is a great way to start and end the vacation."

• Travel date: 25th April 2004

I love it, it was a dream

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"HI, I i have to say that i have the time of my life everythinh was perfect and nice, i strongly recomende to everybody. defenitly is the place to go."

• Travel date: 26th March 2004

We'd go back.

Reviewed 14th October 2012

"After reading reviews from the Viva Beach and Palace I wasn't sure how things were going to end up. We went with a group of 10 from Mpls, MN. in the middle of Feb. 2004. #1. The water and beach. From what I could gather it was possibly the nicest in the Dominican. The SE part of the island is not full of heavy surf though there is some, and the water is a very nice electric blue. It was very clear, and the sand was powder/white. This in combo with the well kept grounds of BOTH the Palace and the Beach resorts made for a nice start. I'd send water loving friends there without worry. I'll sum it up by saying the beach, water and grounds were very nice. #2 the rooms. We really aren't the "all inclusive" bunch and for most, if not all in our group this was a 1st time experience. My wife and I had a ocean view main level room. It was pretty much what I had expected. When you start getting into large resorts, you end up with a hotel feel. A bit of the Caribbean funk is lost, and the rooms tend to look like carbon copies. The floors were clean, there was a mini freezer/cooler in the room, a safe that worked well and a decent sized bathroom. Our pillows smelled a bit molded, but we didn't have any major complaints. We also didn't spend much time in our room. So I'd say the rooms were just fine. I'll also include there is a gym with free weights and cardio equipment on the property in the event you feel a little motivated. 3 of us used it twice. #3 The food. Well, our little saying was "It doesn't suck", but that didn't mean it was great either. The Pizza place was actually great, the buffet was OK and always had plenty to chose from. The other spots that took reservations were OK but I'd probably stick with the buffet, or the pizza place it just takes so long for a 4 course meal. I'll add that getting a reservation is no big deal either can't figure out what all the complaints of having to wait a few minutes in line were for in some of the reviews. The food and diet might be a change from some people's regular routines, I'd be one of those people, but it was all, for the most part pretty good, and none of us were ever walking around feeling hungry. I guess if food and dining are your main bag for vacation, this wouldn't the best place. But its a 3 star hotel and the food is all free. I'd say its pretty decent. #4 The American population is LOW at both places. We liked it. The staff spoke plenty of English as well as multiple other languages. It was fun trying to speak Spanish and Italian. We met some Italians and had a great time with them. Its vacation folks!! Have fun and try new things, relax and enjoy the new things!! Our group ranged from 20 years old to 39 years old. The majority of us were in our 30's. We were never kept awake by loud music or treated unfair because we were from the US. We had a wonderful time. The excursions were easy to book, we had fun on the Saona Isalnd trip. (Best food of the trip, island chicken and rice.) This isn't a 5 star resort, so if you are the pampered 24/7 type of person it isn't a good choice. If you need everything done for you and refuse to switch gears into another culture it won't be fun. But if you are ready to relax and roll with the Caribbean lifestyle and take things as they come, you'll enjoy this place. We'd go back for an inexpensive vacation some day, but for now we plan to explore other islands. Have fun."

• Travel date: 9th March 2004

Yikes, It took us awhile to recover!

Reviewed 22nd October 2012

"Oh, my watch out for the food! When the nurse and doctor enter your room, remove the picture off the wall to hang up the IV bag and serve you up a good dose of antibiotics after a night of body chills , severe joint pain, vomiting and acute G.I. distress,realize it's all a part of your Wyndham Resort experience. Another American there told us he had also spent two days praying to die with illness, but did not call the doctor because of the 200.00 fee. This blew me away that we would be charged for a medical problem that originated in the kitchen from uncooked meat/eggs or possibly bad shellfish. After witnessing their father become so ill, my daughter refused to eat anything in the restaurants at all. We bought snacks in the gift shop for the remainder of the week. The beach is absolutely beautiful, customer service is excellent, the unintentional weight loss program not to be replicated. We won't be going back and if you choose to; do bring a jar of peanut butter."

• Travel date: 8th March 2004

Great vacation!

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"We don't understand the problems that other people had here. We were supposed to be at the Beach resort, but we were upgraded to the Palace. The food was excellent, the oceanfront room was more than acceptable and well cleaned, the staff were all friendly and ready to serve, the grounds were beautiful, and the resort did not seem to cater to any particular group that we noticed. As we were English-speaking, we were definitely the minority, and we must admit that many of the Europeans staying at the two resorts were rude and unfriendly. Sorry, but that's the truth...Otherwise, we had a great vacation and would definitely recommend thihs place to our friends."

• Travel date: 27th February 2004

We'd love to go back.

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"Just returned from a week at the Viva Dominicus Palace. About 1 1/2 hour drive from the airport at Punta Cana including a stop for Presidente beer. The room was large, king size bed, cable TV, safe and a fridge that they filled with water and soda daily. The hotel grounds were beautiful and clean with manicured trees and bushes. The beach was a "10". Lots of palm trees, calm water, plenty of lounge chairs. Daily merengue lessons, aerobics, etc. if you were interested. Average age seemed to be about 40. Not many children. Hotel staff were always friendly. A little more action at the Viva Dominicus Beach. Younger crowd too. Was nice to be able to use the grounds and facilities of two hotels. There was also a street of shops just outside the hotels entrances. Prices were fairly cheap for coffee, rum and cigars. All in all, we had a great time and would definitely go back."

• Travel date: 30th January 2004

Dominicus Palace was fantastic...my husband and loved it

Reviewed 8th November 2012

"Viva Dominicus Palace was fantastic.The staff where very friendly and profesional. They served a large variety of food, which where very tasty. The animation crew really got it together, my husband and i where involved in most of the activities. We really had a great time."

• Travel date: 28th January 2004

Enjoyed my stay

Reviewed 11th October 2012

"I spent 2 weeks at this resort during Christmas 2003. The room was great, spotless clean with bottled water and fresh flowers everyday. The food was better than I expected for a "all inclusive" resort. Service was excellent. Even if the staff makes the effort of greeting you in your own language (identifiying you by the color of your braclet), addressing them in spanish gets you extra attention and a very pleasant smile. The best thing about this resort: a mainly european clientele, but almost no americans in sight."

• Travel date: 13th January 2004

It was all a scam!

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"On a positive note the beach and water were perfect, however the Palace itself was a great dissapointment. We paid to stay the Palace Resort. Upon arriving the font desk told us that we were staying at the Beach resort but they could move us on Sat (we arrived on Thur), we were tired from traveling and agreed as long as we were had a room with two double beds ( I was traveling with a friend). Our FIRST room was tiny with one bed, our SECOND room had two beds and that is all it could fit, you had to climb over one of the beds to reach the first floor porch that did not even lock. The bathroom had pubic hairs on the seat and was very dirty. Our THIRD room was bigger and had two king size beds but was moldy and musty, we stayed one night in this room and both woke up extrememly sick in the morning form the must and mold. The front desk was extremely unhelpful. They acted as if it was our problem and if we were lucky they would TRY and help us on Monday, we were leaving on Tueasday. Finally after speaking to many mamagers we reiceved the room(our FOURTH) we paid for in the Palace Resort. One staff memeber, Eguardo even had the nerve to say to me "See, I told you", whatver the meant I don't know. This same incident happened to many other people that were vactioning at the same time we were. I think it is all a scam. My theroy is that people pay for the Palace and they put them in the less expensive Beach. Those who fight for their rights get what they paid for and those who don't have their higher priced room re-rented to some otehr unsuspecting tourist. The food...terrible, I lived for six days on bad bread. Even their FINE( very overstated) resturants were impossible to get a resevation for and were quited a dissapointment I would NEVER reccomend this hotel to anyone. It is sad the think that this experience was so bad I may never return to the Domincan Republic."

• Travel date: 9th January 2004

Just come back Jan.5th 2004

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"Just past the New Years at Viva Dominicus Palace. Everything was ok - food - bars - room - beach and animation. The only bad things to say is that they have tendancy to overbook the rooms. When you arrived they tell you that they don't have any rooms left and the transfer you to either to Viva Dominicus Beach or in Punta Cana to another hotel."

• Travel date: 6th January 2004