Swimming Pool

Good

We upgraded our flights to the front of ...

Reviewed 10th January 2007

"We upgraded our flights to the front of the plane and it was well worth it, given the length of the flight. The hotel was very clean, with a good selection of food available. The weather was great and the hotel reasonably quiet. The beach was just as good as the pictures suggest. The snorkeling and 2 man speed boat trips are a must and I would definitely recommend these. There were plenty of daily activities to occupy you and they were not forced on you either. The only people to avoid were the usual timeshare men down at the beach side office block."

• Travel date: 10th January 2007

Second Honey Moon

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"This is my first year anniversary and my wife was amased by the hotel decoration and grounds. The best advice I could give is to read all the trip advisors reviews before you get there, you will see good and bad ones, before my trip I read enough ones and I make my decision. Here are the worst points: rocky beach; it can be resolved by beach shooes at Wal-Mart by $5.00 pair, Mosquitoes at night in the open restaurants and facilities; bring your OFF repelent, National beverages ( Coca Cola brand, Barcelo Rums, and Juices ) drinking glasess small but if you take 2 at the same time you can make it, the electrical system works with the same entrance key if you like A/C cool get another key to leave it on the system, disco music is a retro from the 70's to 90's. Now the good points because we also enjoy our stay: Excellent Rigolleto restaurant with A/C and nice service dress code is casual elegance, in the rest of the restaurants the food is ok not "wow" but is edible, pool excellent with wet bar, the "chocolate friends" animation group is excellent and most of them talk 4 different languages very important. Remember something, to look for information before you get there, there are 2 airports La Romana 20mins. drive versus Santo Domingo 2Hours drive and there some price difference. My wife didnt want to take the crazy wheels trip but the feedback I just get from other people in the hotel that you should try it that's another $60 but it woth the money. The staff of the hotel is friendly and very helpfull. Enjoy it !"

• Travel date: 8th June 2003

Beach Rocky, Food Not Great!

Reviewed 12th October 2012

"After my plane landed, I paid $10.00 to get into the country. Trust me you can get a taxi service to ride you any place but it's very expensive. I paid a wopping $90.00 US Dollars Taxi fare to the hotel. Not to mention the hotel was 2 hours and a half away from the airport! Once I arrived at the resort, I was amazed how beautiful the resort was! The staff is always looking for a tip. When I arrived, while I was signing in at the front desk, I put my purse down and security walked away with it, after I realized it was gone, he said...Oh I thought someone left it there! I said no it belongs to me! He said, please go inside your wallent and show me ID. As I went into my wallet he noticed my money and he tried to help me gett my ID out my wallet (DUH) he wanted to see how much money I had in my purse! I showed him my drivers license and he continue to stand over me and I realized this man wanted a tip! I give him a $15.00 USA Dollar tip and he walked away. My girlfriends were upset! The next morning one of my girlfriends needed to take money out of the ATM machine and the same guy wouldnt leave us alone. He went into the ATM building with us! He was money hungry which I didn't like because he was now on duty as a bartender! I told him to leave us alone! BY the way, make sure you dont get ripped off with the waterports. The attendent will try to charge you for everything! This is a all inclusive resort and non motorized sports are included in the price. This guy charge my girlfriend $15.00 US dollars to ride a non-motorized sport. Everyone is looking out for themselves at this resort. I dont mind tipping but dont try to get money out of me. The A/C in our bedroom was not putting out much air but that's okay because you spend most of your time outside. The beach was TOO ROCKY! you will fall to your knees if you dare to go into the ocean without water shoes! The beach is a man made beach - Not to mention it's made on a HILL! The food was NOT okay, I enjoyed breakfast the most. I didn't enjoy lunch and dind other foods had no taste. We tried the mexican food and my friend found bugs in her dinner. After that, we decided to go off the resort and eat dinner! We didn't trust the resort food at that point. The bar served good drinks and the disco played the same music. Take it from me, bring your own CD's and give them to the DJ if you want to party. Everyone was friendly, a lot of people didnt speak english and if you are single, DONT GO THERE!! You will be bored to death. The entertainment was awesome (5 stars) The pool was always clean but closes at 7 pm. I will not go back because I was bored out of my mind, the taxi service there and back cost me a total of $180.00 US dollars, the hotel charges you for room to room telephone calls and the buffet food was not good. BUT the gounds were beautiful kept! (5 star grounds). Make sure you get a safe key for your valueables and if someone try to sell you timeshare RUN RUN RUN! These people dont give up! I been a lot of places but this place I will not go back! I enjoyed Jamaica and Bahamas the most! Forget about this place! stay closer to the airport!! DONT GO HERE PLEASE!"

• Travel date: 31st May 2003

LOTS TO DO!

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"You cannot find a more beautiful place! The landscaping is amazing (Chinese grass everywhere).. The buildings are rustic looking with "palapas" as decorations... The pool area is amazing and there is ALWAYS something to do.. Water Relax (yoga), water aerobics, water volleyball, beach volleyball.. Word of warning: MITES!!! Beware of sand mites.. my friend and I went to the beach and laid on the lounge chairs only to find we had been invaded and had about 30 bites each.. They don't itch but they look horrible and if you're prone to adverse reactions be careful... Other than that, the actual beach is beautiful but it's not called "coral" for nothing. Watch your step going in to the ocean, slide your feet little by little to walk around the smooth rock.. One complaint for me were the open-air restaurants, especially at night.. BUGS!! We noticed the rice pilaf moving, enough said.. There is only 1 a/c rest. "The Rigoletto" Amazing Italian 5 course but you can only eat there once on a 3 night stay which was our case. The spa services are great and the prices even greater.. Beware of the Princess Mud wrap. My friend had it done and said it was the coldest experience ever and she shivered all the way through it.. I got sick from their "distilled" water so do bottled only!!! the liquor is ok, nothing out of this world.. The nightly shows were amazing! Vegas worthy and they pull people from the audience for games and win nice prizes (liquor etc)Go, be safe and have fun!!p.s. The "chocolate" friends make the stay memorable! :)"

• Travel date: 29th May 2003

Loved Coral Canoa

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"I Loved my trip to Bayahibe! The Hotel was great, the animators were very friendly, the food was pretty good, and the beach was breath taking! A great place to relax and the night event s are great. I wouldn`t hesitate to go back, i had a great time. I would definately recommend this place to anyone, although if you`re looking for a party, there`s a sports bar opened 24h that turns into a disco at 11:00, you can make the best of it, but it isn`t party central!"

• Travel date: 27th May 2003

Loved it!

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"Lots of lush, tropical plants and trees make this resort a paradise to look at. Palm trees on the beach and by the pool which is nicely laid out with enough areas to escape to. A swim up bar rounds it off nicely for those scorching afternoons. The beach is narrow and contains some rocky areas however there was still a nice area to swim in. The main buffet food I found to be wonderful, with something for everyone and more than enough choices at each meal. The food was nicely arrayed and pleasing to the eye and included a few American choices with each meal. There are two a la carte restaurants and each one was excellent. The wine included at meals is drinkable with a better selection available at a cost. I found the staff for the most part, to be very friendly and helpful, however the language barrier tends to be a bit of a problem. The night life is almost non-existent, with one sports bar/disco where the music is mostly techno. Each night there is a show/performance put on and quite enjoyable. This resort is not within walking distance to anything so if you need entertainment, this is not the place to go, however if you are seeking rest and absolute relaxation, you have found the perfect spot. There is the usual free non-motorized water crafts, i.e. windsurfing, kayaking, etc. I ran into quite a few Canadians but for the most part, there were mainly Europeans, mainly French and German. The only problem I encountered was trying to get American bills or also to get a bill changed into smaller bills: they would rather you deal in pesos. Not a place for singles, mostly couples and families."

• Travel date: 4th May 2003

Wonderful Experience

Reviewed 3rd December 2012

"This is a 4 star resort at 3 star prices. We loved it! I'm sure there are many better places in the DR if you want to pay more, but we were looking for a bargain vacation and I was pleasantly surprised at what we got for our money. The resort grounds are beautiful with gardens, flowers, fountains, and waterfalls. Rooms are average hotel size and very clean. There are some villas that look very nice. The pool is very large and pleasantly layed out so that it is easy to find room to relax, even when there are alot of kids around. The beach is nice, but narrow, so it can get a little crowded. Arrive before 8am if you want to grab a cabana. There are alot of rocks and seaweed in the water. Plenty of kayaks, catamarans, and windsurfers available.Food was mostly very good. Lot's to choose from at the buffet and the desserts were wonderful. Don't expect American food though. Mostly Dominican or European dishes. The beer and wine was drinkable, but not great. I didn't expect much in that department at a buffet. There were plenty of better wines available for purchase. The activity staff is superb. They work very hard to make sure everyone has a good time. The language barrier is noticeable, but I thought it added to the fun. I got to practice some of my high-school spanish (I was surprised how much I remembered).Time-share sales people (is there anyplace you can go without running into these guys?) are not as bothersome as at other resorts I've been to. In 5 days, I was only approached 3 times. The biggest disappointment was the 2 a la carte restraunts. They told us when we arrived that we needed reservations to eat there, but they didn't tell us where to make the reservations. We finally found the place on our second day, and there were no reservations left until after our departure date. Then, every evening we would walk by, and there were lots of empty tables. I went in one evening and asked if there were any openings and was told no. There were exactly 3 tables occupied at time and would highly recommend this resort."

• Travel date: 20th April 2003

Pleasantly Surprised

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"I just got back from my fabulous 1 week stay. I was down there the week of March 23/03. I was travelling with one other friend. Upon arrival, we realized what a beautiful resort it was. The lobby was very nice and while waiting in line to check in, staff came around passing out refreshing fruity drinks. I thought that was a nice greeting. Our room was nice enough. We did have a problem with our room the first night. Being in a ground floor room, we found there were more bugs than we would've liked but we called the front desk at 2am and without any added aggravation they sent a bellboy right away who helped us with our suitcases and put us in another room (2nd floor). We also had a lightbulb problem and it was fixed for us that same day (we had to ask a couple times for service). The grounds are gorgeous. Quite a large resort. The beach was beautiful with amazingly crystal blue water. There are some rocks on the shore line which kind of suck but if you walk in slowly and pick your entry spot, you'll pass them with a couple steps. After that, the water is so clear you can see any other obstacles that may be ahead (some seaweed). But still beautiful all the same. The water is calm in the morning and after noon it gets a little rougher, but never too rough that you couldn't swim. The pool was nice (only went in once). I figure I can get a pool anywhere, so beach it was for me. By the way, if you want to find a hut you should really get to the beach way before 8am. If you're late you may get lucky and meet William who if you give him a little tip will have a secret hut saved just for you no matter what time you get to the beach. I thought the food was good. They had a good variety. I just loved the different rices that they made every day. The staff was great, and super friendly. The shows were entertaining. All in all, this was a great vacation and I would definitely go back again and would recommend it to anyone. The only people I would maybe suggest to not go are singles here but it's more of a laid back and relaxing nightlife. Oh yah, there's also a very large amount of Europeans in the resort, mainly French. If your offended easily by speedos and bare breasts, you may not want to go there. Two thumbs up from this Canadian girl who would definitely go back."

• Travel date: 3rd April 2003

Get Me Out of Here!

Reviewed 3rd December 2012

"Just came back from a week at the Coral Canoa and boy am I glad to be home! First of all, the food. Awful. The wine. Undrinkable. The noise. Unending. I kept wishing there'd be a power failure so the microphone would be mercifully turned off! The prices. Felt like we were constantly being gouged. We went for a 3 hour trip to Altos de Chavon. The cab ride: $45. The tour guide who attached himself to us: $20. The lunch which got us both sick: $60. Ok, there were some good things. The grounds were beautiful. The beach and the pool were great. The staff was friendly. But... they were always trying to sell us something and wouldn't leave us alone. And the sight of armed security guards on the beach was a little unsettling!The real problem is that if you don't like the place, there's nowhere else to go. We were going to take a bus into town but our chamber maid warned us that we could be robbed and murdered. Who knows if that was true, but who wants to test it out when you're on vacation!"

• Travel date: 29th March 2003

Overall a nice vacation

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"Pros: Beautiful, sprawling property. There is plenty of space around the pool or on the beach. The grounds are well maintained and are a true testament to the staff that is in charge of them. The food, overall was good. You quickly learn what to avoid on the buffet. Some things are different then we are used to in the U.S. but you must remember they are catering to an extremely diverse clientle (a lot of Europeans). Bar service was never with a smile but who really cares, it was efficient. And in all honesty if I was serving drinks to sunburned tourists who didn't tip and didn't speak my language all day chances are I wouldn't be smiling. The spa is amazing and I highly recommend it. There is a nice balance of entertainment and relaxation. You can spend one day relaxing on the beach and the next participating in a variety of activities. The staff is extremely personable and if you make the effort to speak a little Spanish and get to know them they will go out of their way to serve you.Cons: First and foremost my girlfriend had some trouble with "improper" comments from some of the staff in the buffet restaurant. Apparently other guests experienced this too. I can't imagine the management of the hotel will allow this to continue too much longer.The service in the buffet was almost non existant, they were around to fill your water glasses and clear your plates, but beyond that forget it. You had to fight to get drink service, it was usually easier to just get up and get it yourself in true buffet fashion. If you have a maintenance issue in your room prepare to set up camp at the front desk until they fix it. We returned to our room one day to find our toilet seat ... not on our toilet (yes, we found it funny too). Appaerntly the maid while cleaning (the rooms are wonderful) removed the seat, damaged it and did not bother notifying maitenance to fix it. We requested a new toilet seat several times and they kept putting us off. Trust me, after a few nights in the Domincian Republic you need a toilet seat. It wasn't until I parked myself at the front desk, three days after the original request, did they actually send someone up to fix it. You might run into a cockroach or seven but you are in the tropics. By no means is the resort dirty. Tips: Request a remote control at the front desk when checking in. Tell anyone trying to sell you a time share you hate the resort and would never dream of coming back. Even if this is a complete lie they leave you alone.Don't be afraid to barter outside of the resort. You can get some really good deals if you are persistant.Don't drink the tap water. Don't brush your teeth with the water. Don't open your mouth in the shower. Put yourself in an "I'm in Mexico mindset" and use the complimentary bottled water.The 'prizes' for participating in activites are little bottles of rum. Not a bad gift if you ask me."

• Travel date: 18th March 2003

Most Fun I've Had in a LONG Time!!

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"I recently returned from a 9 day vacation at the Coral Canoa and it was sooooo much fun! I traveled with 3 other friends, and I believe that it was a positive experience all around. First, some of the less-than-perfect aspects: the food wasn't great, but it was exactly what I expected it to be. When people travel to other countries and islands, sometimes they expect and want that the food is going to be exactly as it is at home, but it won't be. That's part of the fun of being away from home, it's different. My friends and I certainly never went hungry, we just always didn't 100% love what we just shoveled in our mouths. The alcohol was another aspect that wasn't 100% perfect. The domestic beer is good at first, but you quickly learn that the alcohol content in it is MUCH higher than most other beers. Also, too many of the tropical rum drinks can be a regretful experience. My suggestion with both the food and drink: don't expect exactly what you get at home. You learn to adapt and realize that for the price you just paid (much less than other islands and resorts) you are getting a great deal. Go easy with the beer and pick another type of drink, they have every other standard liquor. The last thing that wasn't perfect was the language barrier. There were very few people who spoke fluent english. However, there were some who spoke fluently and others who knew enough to communicate. However, I also thought it was more fun that way. It forced me to stir up some of the Spanish I had "learned" in school and I also wouldn't want to go to a place where everyone was American and spoke English perfectly. I also don't travel to another country and expect them to speak my language.The positives: the pool is amazing! It is very large and clean. There were always plently of chairs to sit at (in the sun and in the shade) and it was never too crowded. There is a bar IN the pool where you can get drinks and smoke and socialize with the other guests. Although there were a good number of children at the resort, I never felt as though they dominated the pool, nor did they ever get too loud or ruin my nap. The beach is also very beautiful, but it was difficult to get chairs in the shade and since there are many rocks and coral in the water, it is difficult to sit in the sun for too long and not be able to run into the ocean when needed. Therefore, I recommend the pool. The other good thing was the friendliness of the staff and especially the "Chocolate Friends." Once you can get over the name (a little offensive in our opinion), they were great. They were very nice and they encouraged you to participate in the activities they had to offer. If you're like me and can't sit still for too long during the day, you'll appreciate their enthusiasm and motivation. They are there when you wake up and go out and they are hanging around until late at night. They organize activities during the day, like water games, contests, beach volleyball, etc. and then they perform and entertain nightly with a larger performance and/or karaoke. And I shouldn't forget to mention that they are beautiful!!My friends and I were concerned that the resort would be full of romantic undertones and that we would be the only people there to socialize have fun with other people, but we were never once made to feel uncomfortable by couples or romanticism. The music in the discoteque definately catered to the non-Americans at the resort, but it didn't ruin the fun we had.Overall, I definately recommend this place to anyone looking to have a good time, both relaxing and engaging. My friend and I are actually considering a return trip this year!"

• Travel date: 17th March 2003

Hotels near Be Live Collection Canoa

Be Live Collection Canoa is also called

• Canoa Coral by Hilton Hotel
  • oasis canoa hotel bayahibe
  • coral canoa resort