Good

I can't wait to go back again

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"My girlfriend and I got back from varadero, cuba on February 16th after spending one week there. Before leaving on our vacation, we read the reviews on this website for the Tuxpan after booking our vacation package and we were just a little bit worried that we wouldn't enjoy are stay.Well we had a great time. It seems that everyone's complaints are directed at the Italian staff and guests. Lets's forget about them for one minute and look at everything else. First off, the cuban staff at the hotel was amazing. They were so helpful and friendly. The bar service at the piano bar was great, a wide variety of drinks to choose from (our favorite was the pina coladas and the mohitos). Hava Club rum is probably the best rum I have ever had! The beach bar always had cold cuban beer (Crystal) that was very tasty and refreshing. Also the burgers at the beach bar were really good. There was also a bar by the pool, that was open from late morning to late night. The pool looked nice and was fairly large, but I can tell you much about it because I didn't spend anytime in it. The reason was that the beach was too nice to pass up. This hotel is located on the nicest stretch of beach in Varadero. The white sandy beach was clean, lots of sun beds and palm umbrellas. The water was warm and had the most amazing blue color. I brought a snorkel mask with me and my girlfriend borrowed one from the hotel. There was lots to see under the water (including a morey eel that freaked her out). Be sure to sign up for your free catamaran ride with cuban beach staff, you get one free ride every day. Also ask them about the snorkeling trip, for $10us thet take on a catamaran ride out to the corals where hundreds and hundreds of fish are waiting to be fed bread by you. That's was so much fun.The food at the a la carte restaurant wasn't that good and I don't recomend making reservations.
The food at the buffet restaurant was pretty good (and yes there is an Italian influence to the menu). There was always 5 different pastas to choose from that were usually pretty good. There was always one or two different kinds of fish to choose from as well as roasted chicken and roasted pork. For sides you had rosted potatos and a bunch of veggies (the eggplant was always the best). There was a salad bar that I really liked. And if you like fresh baked bread, well you'll want to take one for the flight home! And I almost forgot the best part, the live cuban band playing, they were the best!The Italian staff organize beach volleyball tournaments and soccer tournaments that were a lot of fun.
They also put on a nightly show and yes most of them are in Italian.
But even the ones that were in English weren't that good either. They had a couple of cuban shows that were okay but lets face it, you are not vacation in cuba for the nightly shows put on by your hotel.Overall, we had a great vacation, the weather was amazing for the one week we were there. The hotel room was decent. We met alot of nice people from all over Canada and I can't wait to go back again.Thanks Bud and Dorina for the amazing present."

• Travel date: Sat 6th of March 2004

Enjoyed our stay

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"Went to Cuba for the first time under recommendations from friends. Enjoyed our one week stay at the Tuxpan, it had full facilities, 110 voltage (no converters required), the rooms were clean and modern, and the view was nice. The food was buffet, and plenty of it. Service all around was fast, efficient, and best of all friendly and accomodating. The beach area was clean, close by and fantastic. Was able to leave personal belongings on the beach with no fear of it going missing, security was present and yet, discrete. Nightly entertainment was varied and involved singing, dancing and audience participation. The resort offered a large, daily cleaned swimming pool and swim up bar. There are facilities for children of all ages, and experienced staff to care for children of all ages. Travel agent was there every day for your questions and was honest when describing the various tour packages. Overall, enjoyed our stay, and will not hesitate to return in the future."

• Travel date: Thu 4th of March 2004

Best beach on earth

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"The beach is incredible, no one spends time at the pool even though it is large and also beautiful. The hotel is owned by Italians so the food was great, but very Italian, pastas, pastas, and more pastas! The entertainment was good, mostly lip syncing which also turned most shows into a comedy. If you're not Italian you may feel out of place because they're every where. Get an ocean view room on the 4th floor (top floor) and also pay extre for the mini bar. They fill it with beer, pop, and bottled water every morning. It's incredibly safe both at the resort (lots of security) and in the city. We walked at night with no worries. Also be sure to rent a moped, they say it's not safe but it really is and it's great to see the whole area at your own pace.
4 stars at least."

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of March 2004

like a vacation and a fat camp all in one

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"So if you want to lose weight - no need for Dr. Phil - just stay at the TuxPan for a week. My girlfreinds and I went there last March and ate roasted potatoes/ shredded carrots and bread for literally EVERY meal.
The meat/cold cuts/dairy looked highly suspicious - and several people got really sick from the so called BBQ at the beach bar. We walked out of the a la carte restaurant after the first course. The drink situation was also absymal - after looking forward to some great blended tropical drinks - we discovered that the hotel did not have a blender and all of our "margaritas" came out of a slushie machine. I wouldn't ordinarily write reviews on a forum like this one- but after I saw the comments praising the TuxPan I couldn't help myself. I would not be surprised if the comments were made by representatives of the resort itself in an effort to get people to book there. Other than the terrible food the resort itself was OK. Initially there were a lot of elderly people at the resort - a HUGE difference from our previous trips to places like CanCun. So if you're strictly looking for a place to party for a week - this really isn't it. As the week went on - we met other people in their 20's and their company salvaged the week. The disco at the hotel which was supposed to be THE hot spot in Varadero was empty every night. Some of the other clubs you may want to check out are the Havana Club - small and all tourists but OK music, the Mambo Club - traditional Cuban band performance and music, and La Rada - mix of tourists and Cubans. The Pirate Cave is also supposed to be quite good - but we never made it there. After my trip to Varadero I swore I would not go back - but we just could not stay away from that beach! We're off to Varadero once again in 2 weeks - but this time at a much nicer hotel and one which will hopefully have resonable food. (I'm packing my own supply - just in case!)"

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of March 2004

tuxpan hotel varadero cuba.

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"My wife and i have stayed at the tuxpan 14 years in arow, we do not go to cuba for the love of the hotel, we go because of the people, cubans are the nicest people we have ever met. the beaches in varadero are the best we have ever seen,and the cubans that work in the tuxpan are very friendly, i can honestly say that we have over 50 new friends from cuba that we write letters to every month. i would like to say thanks to all my friends in cuba for making are stay at the tuxpan an enjoyable one,kiki roberto liset jorje thomas alain."

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of February 2004

Overall, a very good vacation.

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"My wife and I stayed at the Tuxpan hotel for one week Feb. 7th 2004. I have read several critics about the hotel and would like to submit my own to help other travellers. I have to say that overall, we had a very good time. The hotel is very well located near the golf course, within 4-5 km from downtown and directly adjacent to the beautiful beach. The hotel itself is getting a bit old, would need some renovations to the bathrooms especially, but it is reasonably comfortable. I would rate it as a 3.5 star not a 4. The food was good, with below average variety (for a 4 star) but we were able to find enough of what we like for a single week. If you like gastronomy, this hotel should not be your first choice. The waiters were really nice and the service was very good at the dining room. The beach at Varadero is among the best I've seen. You can walk for hours along the turquoise waters. The hotel also offers some nautical activities at the beach like kayak and catamaran.
Try the catamaran on the ocean, that was outstanding, we sailed every day. The pool is nice and clean with lots of room around it. So, overall, we had a very good time at the Tuxpan, our stay was relaxing.
The only negative aspect about our vacation at that hotel was as a result of other guests and more particularly the italian guests. There were a lot of italians at the hotel because they are now involved with the management of the hotel I understand. Most of them were rude and don't respect other people waiting in line to be served. To make a long story short, I (and a most other non-italian guests) thought they were really unpleasant and unrespectful. The shows at nignt were prepared by the italian entertainers for the italians with no reference to other guests of the hotel and there were a lot of canadians. Fortunately, we did not let that ruine our vacation and have a very good stay."

• Travel date: Fri 20th of February 2004

Was I in Italy? or Cuba?

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"We went on a holiday to Cuba and ended up in Italy!!!

The Italian staff treated us like second class people, the Italian guests, about 90% of all guests, got the best rooms, the best service, first crack at the a la carte restaurant, they even talked to each other right over top of me when it was my turn. Most of the entertainment was in Italian, they tried to speak English, but you could barely understand them.

The Cuban workers were great, the chamber maids, cleaners, groundspeople, security, and some of the bartenders were all really good to us.

But it was the Italians, they were just rude, loud, in your face, obnoxious, did I mention loud? Especially the entertainment staff, they were the loudest. Don't get me wrong, I used to like Italians, in fact I am 1/8 Italian, but the behavour of the staff at the Tuxpan made me embarrassed.

We really liked the hotel, It was a bit run down, but really we had no complaints with it, the grounds were good, the beach was the best, the food was good, but bland as you probably know, and lots of drinks.

We will go back to Cuba for holiday one day, but never will we go to the Tuxpan again. If you don't mind them and their attitude, go ahead, enjoy. But if you want to relax in a nice quiet setting and mind your own business, then go somewhere else."

• Travel date: Thu 19th of February 2004

Italian, Italian, and more Italian!

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"We stayed at the Tuxpan Jan 31-Feb7, 2004. The food was not too bad, although one week of the same stuff is enough. This hotel is owned by the Italians, and that is very evident! If your not Italian, you are second rate! The Italians get the best rooms, they get the best service, they get the best everything! The entertainment was ALL Italian, with no effort to include the English speaking people at all.
You don't even exist! The entertainment director loves to hear himself, and gets reeeealy sickening! We didn't get the best rooms, and that was okay because we didn't spend that much time in the room. We got the main floor facing away from the ocean, but then the people that had the great views on the 4th floor had to contend with the poor elevator service, so we stayed put. The Cuban staff are really good.... they try very hard to do what they can to help. They too are very frustrated with the Italian management, and the Italian visitors. One of the staff told us this used to be a four star, but now in the last couple of years since the Italians took over, it's a one star with some of the points broken off! The building is old, with lots of problems, and those problems end up your problems, because they don't fix anything.
The maids were great, the bar tenders not so great, although there are a few that are really good! They advertise a swim up bar, and there is one, but there is no service there, so you could sit there but never see a bar tender for a week! The trip to Havana in the hotel is a rip, you can do much better if you hire a taxi with a group of 6 or 7 and take a van. If you ask around the bar tenders, they can direct you to the right people. Well worth it. Pay $30.00 each instead of $75.00. If you want to go into Varadero, take the cab,$5.00 for 4 people each way.
Much better than the bus at $20.00. The beach: WOW this beach is a good one! Great sand, and great water. My recommendation would be this: if the trip is a real good deal, and you go knowing what your in for, and you can put up with that, then go. For me to go back to the Tuxpan it would have to be one heck of a deal! Cuba is well worth visiting though, the people are very nice, it seems safe, and the weather and the beaches are wonderful! We will go again, but we will certainly look for a hotel that is more inviting. Tuxpan is not."

• Travel date: Tue 10th of February 2004

Cuba Rocks!!!

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"Cuba is by far the best vacation place I have been to yet. I have been to Varadero 3 times and will be returning again this year. The music is great, the Cubans are amazing, the dancing is unreal, the beaches and weather are perfect, and the satff at Tuxpan kick. A special thanks to Yanosky, Jorge, Pedro, Yoendris, Liset, and Yordan (The best animacion team EVER). I keep seeing that people aren't satisfied with the night life??? You have to go to La Rumba or Havannah Cafe (NOT Havannah Club), or try Mambo Club and El Cuevo. You'll have a blast. Other great hotels are the Bella Costa and Solymar."

• Travel date: Wed 4th of February 2004

Unless your Itailian din't go

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"They favor the Italians too much. I would not go back there. The beds are like sleeping on plywood. Our toilets would not fush right. Hardly any pressure in the shower. No plug. Every room is different. Kids get ignored when they want a drink from the bar. Rude people. I saw the manager slam a guest in the face with the door and did not even say sorry. the entertament is all in spanish."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of February 2004