Hotel Los Cactus

Carretera de las Americas, Km 3.5, Varadero 42200 Cuba

Did I miss something?

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"I stayed at the Breezes Varadero from Oct 25 to Nov 1 and I didn't come across these "thugs" at all and I was by the pool bar a few times each day. I did notice a lot of British folks and generally they do drink too much and get rowdy but I didn't witness that this time. More noticable was the two girls who insisted on going topless the entire week, even at the buffet, gross. Loved the resort though...amazing staff, beach, rooms and food."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of November 2003

Holiday spoiled by thugs

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"I must say that this location was very difficult to review, as I had no problems with the resort itself, just the fact our vacation was wrecked by a bunch of loud thugs with British accents. My wife was constantly taunted when she walked past there table at the pool bar, where they seemed to reside 24x7. One guy in particular, who went by the name Georige Porgie, was very vulgar and spent the entire week walking around shirtless showing his huge hairy belly to anyone who came close.
Another gentleman with an Irish accent, spent the entire week walking around in his Yves Martin underwear asking people if they new which direction it was to his hotel. It all just goes to show that these vacations really depend on the type of people how stay at your resort."

• Travel date: Fri 31st of October 2003

Did we stay @ the same resort

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"A group of friends and I spent a week @ Breezes in Sept. 2003, and I have to say it was great... the resorts not exactly a 4 star resort to N.American standards but it is still nice... I mean people lets remember this is Cuba I'll say the resort is a 3 star but the beach brings it back up to a four. And to keep this in perspective I don't think that there is a 5 star resort on Varadero... from what we say Breezes is one of the nicest there... Varadero's beach is rated one of the top 5 beaches in the world... and it will not let you down! It is postcard beautiful!!!! I would say about 85% of the people at the resort were Canadian... which is nice... meeting new people is very easy and soon you will have lots of new friends... the remaining people are European and S.americans... the south Americans tend to stick to themselves and the Europeans are a lot of fun! Back to the resort and all the negative reports about the food/birds/service/rooms... we did not see anything bad in any of those areas... and we are picky travelers.... so I don't know what all the complaining is about... if you are expecting the Four Seasons service in a resort in Cuba then your delusional... the food is very good though... the buffet is ok... and we never saw birds pecking at the food... all three restaurants are good... especially the Italian... Make sure you book your restaurants as soon as you get there... The piano bar is inhabited by mostly older people (40+ singing around the piano) the club is good... and so are the theme nites... some are cheesy though... go to all the 9:00 entertainment shows they are funny... for the little time that you spend in it the room was nice and very clean... the service was good... except the ladies behind the bars seemed to have an attitude... but I would too if i had to be standing all day... the tours are good... i recommend the Havana tour and the snorkelling tour... I would have no qualms of going back to Breezes Varadero... u won't regret it either..."

• Travel date: Fri 17th of October 2003

Loved every minute

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"Went to the Breezes first week of Oct. I have read many reviews before booking this resort and felt as if many people were quite picky and seemed to rate this hotel faily low. I truly have no real complaints about the hotel . We arrived quite late at night, checking in I politely asked if my room was equiped with a king size bed and an ocean view. i paid for ROH so I really couldn't pick where iwas staying. THe gentlemen told me it wasn't, but quickly upgraded me to a beautiful room. It was next to the pool, ocean view, large, clean etc.. No complaints. The buffet was alright and the italian restaurant was raelly nice.. same with the cuban restaurent. The steak was fantastic..
The staff was friendly, as long as you were the same to them.. The beach was fantastic , the weather was great. ! We rented scooters a couple of days, great fun.. Dolphin tour a must see and do! Fantastic experience and lots of hands on time with the annimals. The only complaint, we booked through SUnwing, golf was supposed to be included and it wasn't.! Also wehn leaving the hotel to come home, the men picking us up in the buses weren't to organized.. A small complaint for such a wonderful weeK!. I would definatlely give this resort a chance!
The 16 plus age was great with no screaming kids running around. Great resort, great place to visit1"

• Travel date: Mon 13th of October 2003

Breezes Veradero Not a Breeze

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"Warning: this is not a 4+ Star resort! Arrived at 11 a.m. after travelling all night. No bellmen, no room, until 2p.m. This is the hottest place we've been in the Carribean, which is great except there are few ceilng fans or public areas with AC. We waited, stifling hot, dripping wet, and exhausted, for our room to be ready, all the while watching newcomers being checked in. The room was shabby, but always extremely clean, with good AC. The beach was gorgeous, the pool the same. Chairs very hard and uncomfortable. The food: we felt like we were contestants on 'Survivor, Cuba'! Most of the food at the Buffet was strange tasting and unrecognizable. There are birds flying about the Buffet, but this is normal for the Carribean. The rice, bread, butter, desserts, pork, and coffee were great. The Italian Restaurant is good, but the food was not quite right. Service overall was generally slow, but not impossible.

Never travel Skyservice out of T.O. They have so many seats crammed into their planes, that one can hardly fold oneself into the seat. They serve cold box lunches also. We have been to many 4 and 5 Star all-inclusives in the Carribean. Breezes a 2/3 Star at the most."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of October 2003

amazing gardens

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"We just came back from our honeymoon on Sunday September 21. We had an amazing 2 weeks at the Superclub Varadero. My husband was a bit sceptical about going to Cuba because of the food but he manage to find something he liked. If you arrive in the morning, expect that your room might not be available before 2pm. We were a bit disapointed about that because we had to wait around for 2 hours and because we didn't get ocean view, but our room turned out to be ok. the garden is absolutly amazing but the rooms could be better, but then again, you are not there to stay in the room! we had a junior suite, which had a balcony facing the beautiful garden. The grill restaurant "Il Bohios" is very good. You can have a snack there during the day, they offer hamburger, hog dog, pizzas and chicken, all good. The italian restaurant "Martinos" is very good too, although we prefered the grill restaurant because it is outside directly on the beach and the view is just amazing espacially if you reserve in time for the sunset. Bring your own mug, you will find it very practical to bring in the beach. I always used to go to the beach early to reserve a chair but I didn't really have to because there wasn't alot of people at the hotel because of the low season. The weather was amazing, everyday very hot. If you can, bring lots of soap, toothbrush, toothpaste to give to the made or whom ever you want to give it to as those things are very expensive for the local people. The staff are very nice, espacially the cook in the morning that makes amazing pancake and omelet. There was a nice variety of food in the buffet every night and we really enjoyed it. Don't expect to get alot of variety of fruits because they always have the same one. There is always a different show every night, they are ok. We went in two excursions, one was the "Crucero del Sol", it's a catamaran excursion to go swim with the daulphin, then you go snorkeling and you stop at an island called Cayo Largo to eat shrimp and lobster, it is absolutly amazing, it is a must!! And we went to visit la Havane, it is amazing too! if you want to buy Rhum, it is the same price everywhere, even at the hotel (3,50 US). If you want to buy cigar, they told us that it's best to buy at La Havane since they sell it more there. We would definatly recommend this hotel and would love to go back!!"

• Travel date: Wed 24th of September 2003

could be better!

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"We had a call from the tour operators 1 week before we were due to depart to say our hotel - Sol Siranis was undergoing "major redevelopment" and we would have to relocate to the Superclubs Punterena - no way we said - a terrible hotel!!! We opted for the Breezes at an extra cost in the end. In the UK brochure it is rated 5* - no way, is all I can say, it is barely a 3*!!!!! The buffet was terrible - food that was unrecognisable. The staff were miserable, Im glad there was no tipping as they did not deserve it!!. We were moved from a room above the disco to a plesent room around the pool but infested with ants and very load air conditioning..... The trips were very expensive and the mambo night was a waste of time and money, the boat trip on the other hand was good...On the plus side the beach and sea were idylic and the Italian was superb helped along by the lovely Angel!! I would not hurry back and do not expect the "prestige" holiday we were expecting...!"

• Travel date: Sun 21st of September 2003

Felt Like Paradise!

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"I stayed at the Superclubs Breezes Varadero Resort the week of August 30-September 6 and I had a great time! It was very nice and hot and the beach was beautiful. The staff were great! They go out of their way to do things for you. The Italian restaurant is very elegant and the food is amazing. I really enjoyed the buffet. I had read reviews before my vacation and read some complaints but I really had nothing to complain about. They have something for everyone. Even I (and I tend to be really picky) found quite a few things that I liked at each meal. They do fish really well there and all the pasta is homemade, made right at the resort. The grill is good during the day but I preferred the buffet for dinner because you can eat your dinner while the evening show is going on. I recommend watching the shows at night. They are a lot of fun to watch and consist of a lot of dancing. It will make you want to learn how to do the mambo, salsa, samba and meringue. The dance lessons are fun, especially since they consist of people who have had quite a few drinks. The drinks are great. Some of my favourites were the Mojito (a lemon/lime drink), rum punch, Passoa and orange juice and the strawberry dacari's. All very good tasty. The rum is very cheap to buy.
$4 for a 1 litre bottle and cigarettes were 50 cents. The beach is beautiful. The water is very clear, you can walk for what seems for ever into the ocean and the water will only be at your neck and you will still be able to see your toes. It is rare that you see any fish, you will see the odd one and they are just small ones but usually pretty and colourful. There is a nice breeze on the beach during the day, so most people go down there to cool down by laying under the cabanna's and sipping some ice cold drinks. Go to the market is Varadero, it is very nice. You can get cheap jewlery, drums, paintings and other things made by various people. Don't bother going to the mall, it's very expensive and not very interesting. If you want to go to the restaurants, book them the day you get there because they do book fast. Depending on the week you go, the resort disco might not be busy but the resorts beside Superclubs have very happening disco's and the cab ride is only 5 mins or less and only cost about $2. The resort is very relaxing although there is always something to do. Some of the tours that were off of the resort were a bit expensive but from what I hear, worth every cent, especially the trip were you get to swim with the dolphins. I heard only great things about it although I never did actually go on it. I would definately go back and definately recommend it to anyone who wants to spend a relaxing week in paradise."

• Travel date: Tue 9th of September 2003

Met my expectations!

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"Myself and my wife and two other couples visited this resport in September of 2000. A few years ago, but I was looking at this site and thought I would give my two cents worth. We thought that since we were going to a foreign country where poverty levels could be quite high, we should stick with a higher rated resort. This one seemed to be the best option, even though it cost a little more. We found the arrival and check in experience fairly smooth. The rooms were good, and since we were there on our anniversary they upgraded us to a suite, no charge.
Nice big room. Rooms were clean and bright and houskeeping staff was very pleasant. We brought some small items as gifts which we left on the bed.The food was pretty good. However, as other people have said, after a week everything in the buffet starts to taste kind of the same.
But there was always bread, cheese, and fruit. We booked times at the a-la-carte restaurants right away after check-in. These were good, but the service was a bit slow in the italian one.We thought the alcohol selection was fine. I mean you have to consider where you are going and not expect the same selection as you would get in a big Canadian or American resort. We would often go up and order 12 or 15 banana daquires at a time.The resort and beach was great. Clean and clear and plenty of available equipment. We also took in the scuba diving, however only 2 of the 6 of us passed the swimming test. It was a great dive however. We also did a snorkelling tour, that was very good. The pools and hottubs were also nice.We had no problems with the staff.
Found them all quite helpful, and the entertainment staff to be pretty entertaining. We tried to stay up and go to the nightclub, but after drinking and being in the sun all day found ourselves pretty tired by 10-11pm. We once started shooting tequila at 12noon. That was not a great idea.Overall I would definetly recommend this place. I had no complaints worth talking about."

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of September 2003

excellent:

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"My husband and I went to on July 12 to 19 to Breezes, Varadero. It is September now and my head is still in the clouds because of our wonderful holiday.

The resort was a lot more then we expected. The only problems was we could not have the lights on, air conditioning going and the coffee pot or a fuse would break. That was a minor inconvenience. We turned the air-conditioning off until the coffee was made. No problemo, mon!

The people were so nice, polite and well mannered, I got lots of hugs and kisses from them. I felt like they were my life-long friends after 10 minutes of meeting them. I also noticed they were were very intelligent , happy and down to earth. The service was excellent and we could not find anything wrong

The resort itself: Me being a bird and wildlife lover and having these little companions at my breakfast, lunch and dinner table was a very nice touch. We enjoyed having these little creatures flying around us and eating at our table.

One day we went to Havana and saw the show the Tropicana on a side trip. Another day we went to the Bay of Pigs we also enjoyed. The bus tour guides and the drivers were very nice the trips were very informative.

The food was very good we did not go hungry and the selection was awesome. We did see some recycled food as well what was left over for supper we saw in a different dish at lunch. Which we did not mind it was all fresh and it tastes good. (waste not want not).

I cannot praise enough on how such a nice time we had and how excellent the service was. A difinite must to go back again and again. As we certainly will do. So my head is still in the clouds in cuba and not ready to come down yet."

• Travel date: Thu 28th of August 2003

Hotels near Hotel Los Cactus

Stayed at Hotel Los Cactus? Share your insight.

Hotel Los Cactus is also called