Our stay from jan 20-27 2016

Reviewed Tue 9th of February 2016

"We have a huge concern regarding the location of the pool table . While sitting in the bar area at a table and enjoying our drinks and conversation , there were young kids at the pool table around the age of 8 yrs to 12yrs old and smaller ones as well . One of the pool balls was hit in our direction and hit my aunt on the back of her heel ...immediately she went over to the children and told them what had just happened and how dangerous it was , there was no adult supervision at all . Then she proceeded to the bar area and told the bartenders and basically nothing was said to the kids ....So I have a real problem with this ,that pool ball could have just as easily struck her on the back of the head and led to something horrific....We believe the pool table should only be for adults and should definitely be placed in a more secure area . ....PLEASE show some concern and move your pool table before someone gets really hurt . Also there should be an age limit ...NO KIDS allowed to play at the table ..... Also it might be nice to have a greeter when you first arrive someone to say welcome to our hotel. ....Some of the desk personnel could take a few lessons on courtesy and smiling ...."

• Travel date: Tue 9th of February 2016

Great hotel, great service, great atmosphere!

Reviewed Tue 18th of October 2011

"Not sure what people are talking about, however, i stayed at Brisas del Caribe for one week and it was one of the best resorts I have ever been to in Cuba.
The rooms had air conditioning, and yes, you could control the tempertature.
The food was great, I have no complaints. Plenty to choose from, chicken, pork, steak, rice and peas, potatoes, plaintain, yuka, beans, lots of veggies/fruits, great fresh bread and wow a great selection of desserts! The breakfast was not my favourite, only because I don't have a big appetite in the morning.
The service was amazing, the people were super friendly and respectful. They were very informative and appropriate.
There was no "disco" on the resort, it was more of a stage and loud music, so I went to the clubs in downtown Varadero. Varadero is safe and I had a blast! If your looking to party, the best places are La Comparsita, La Rhumba and Internacional.
The beach is AMAZING, the pools were great and the atmosphere was just wonderful. Lots of music being played throughout the day, mostly reggaeton and salsa.
You could get massages on the beach which by the way, is so relaxing and makes the experience all the better!
There's not a whole lot to do at the resort, so be prepared to take a taxi or bus downtown. Oh, there's also a tennis court for all you who love to play sports!

Overall, it's a great resort, try it out!"

• Travel date: Wed 24th of August 2011

Do not go to this hotel

Reviewed Thu 15th of July 2010

"This is never a 4 star hotel. It is a two star hotel. The food is very bad, with flyes over the food all the time. The pizza is not a real pizza, but a piece of wood. The with no patiente to answer any question.
We included a bus to take us from the hotel to the aeroport, but they arrived one hour later and we allmost lost the fly. There is not any respect to the tourist, they only want our money."

• Travel date: Sun 4th of July 2010

Not a 3 star

Reviewed Mon 11th of January 2010

"The rooms on the first floor in the main building are not fit for man or beast. Where do I start??? Upon our arrival we were welcomed by a giant centipede and a musty odour in our room. There were no hangers in the closet. The closet doors fell off when we tried to open them. The bureau was in the closet, and you couldn't open the drawers. The wall safe was broken. The balcony door did not lock. There were no toilet seat covers. You could not open the sink stopper once you closed it. When we complained to the reception desk that night, they looked at us as if we were crazy. When we complained again the next morning (along with many other guests) our room was changed to one that was more acceptable. There still was a musty odour and the metal door jam was missing. A child could have pushed the door open. The buffet food was unappealing in both appearance and taste. The meals at the a la carte restaurants were good. However, they consistently mixed up all the orders even though they wrote down the orders. The drinks all tasted the same, whether it was a pina colada, rum punch or a mojito, but they were different colours.
I've been to Varadero, Cuba 4 other times, and this was by far the worst resort. The whole resort had an appearance of neglect. I imagine in it's earlier days it must have been very nice.
Oh yes, upon registration they demand a deposit of $15.00 per towel which they refund upon departure. As we found out later, you are not required to do this. You can bring your own beach towel.

• Travel date: Sun 10th of January 2010

Vacation in Cuba

Reviewed Thu 5th of March 2009

"It pisses me off how ignorant North Americans can be. You complain about the service/food/hotel rooms/mosquitos, etc, etc. Try living in Cuba for the rest of your life!!!! Not being able to leave, depending on the government for everything. Having so many restrictions that you can't be free to do anything. And by the way, when you stay at an all inclusive hotel it DOES NOT MEAN TIPS ARE INCLUDED (MORONS)!!!! Cubans get paid crap at these resorts which is why they so much depend on tips to get by. Why is it that you know it's a norm to tip in North America but think you can get away with not tipping in Cuba.

Also, Cuba offers the cheapest vacations and you expect Fine Cuisine, High End Hotel Rooms, NO MOSQUITOS/BUGS and the best Customer Service around? I've been to Cuba and I've had a great time. If you're friendly and curtious to the Cuban staff, they will be very nice and will go out of their way to treat you well. Before taking a trip to Cuba and expecting the same treatment/experience as you would at a resort in Hawaii or Mexico, trying READING first. A little history lesson would really help. Find out more what Cuba's all about and then perhaps you will have a better time.

If you want high end resorts, go to Mexico, but ofcourse those are more expensive. So if you're too cheap to pay for the high end stuff, then STAY HOME and quit complaining. Be glad that Cuba even tries to lend us their beautiful beaches and provide some kind of decent service. I think they're giving too much for the little that we give back to them. North Americans take for granted all the wonderful material things that are available in North America but Cubans appreciate life and even though they have so little, if you to places outside of the resorts, you will find out what Cubans are all about. They have so little and so many restrictions but they know how to enjoy life and be thankful for every day God lends them. "

• Travel date: Thu 5th of March 2009

Worst Holiday we've had!!!!

Reviewed Sat 22nd of November 2008

"Have just returned from Cuba (Brisas del Caribe) Awful from the beginning, the flight was uncomfortable, unfriendly flight attendents, horrible food and dirty toilets. The hotel may have been a '4 star' at some stage, but certainly not now. Our room was damp with an awful smell. Very noisy at night, overlooking the Disco. We had no lights for 2 days, on informing the staff they told us to stay in our room and someone would see to it... Finally we were offered alternative rooms. The food was virtually unidentifiable,everything tasted the same, cold of half cooked. The A La Carte Seafood evening was disgusting, my Seafood skewer looked as though something had been eating it!! The staff were very abrupt and rude. Several couples including ourselves walked out. The public facilities were a health hazard, toilet seats missing, blocked toilets,overflowing urinals and no locks on cubicals. Having left a deposit for beach towels we waited 3 days before they could be changed. Most drinks (both hot and cold) were served in plastic cups, on one occasion. when ordering cold drinks, we were told there aren't any glasses you'll have to find some yourselves...Most guests had the same feelings. If going to Cuba, at least go 5* and expect the worse!!!!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of November 2008

We stayed at this resort from 20/06/2007...

Reviewed Fri 20th of July 2007

"We stayed at this resort from 20/06/2007 to 04/07/2007, the whole holiday from start to finish was terrible. The food was covered in flies and put out (with no covers on) hours before they opened the doors to the guests.

We went with our 2 young children to get married there and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone, the actual wedding was lovely but that’s about the only positive thing I can say about this resort. My son got food poisoning probably due to the very undercooked pink burgers which they were serving at the snack bar resulting in us having to phone for a doctor as he was that poorly costing a small fortune. They ran out of chips for 6 days, beer for one day, very limited choice of drinks and food, the beach is not a private one as advertised, it gets extremely busy at the weekends with the locals using the facilities, as there’s a nightclub on the resort which opens to 3am. You hear lots of shouting from young couples in the middle of the night, we stayed in the villas section which was kept really clean however none of the entertainment or restaurants was open so if you wanted any food or drink then you would have to go all the way across to the hotel section.

Its advertised as a 4* hotel which is certainly not the case I would give it a 1* and that’s being generous, I wouldn’t recommend this hotel to my worst enemy, some incidents which happened were dangerous, if you are thinking of going to this hotel or have booked it I would strongly advise you to think again or arrange alternative accommodation.

I got ill not long after our wedding so spent more time in our room than anywhere else, which is not what you want when you have just got married, on returning home I visited my doctor and was given antibiotics and had to have a week off work.

• Travel date: Fri 20th of July 2007

Fab, we'll be going back. Food is basic...

Reviewed Thu 10th of May 2007

"Fab, we'll be going back.

Food is basic but I'd read that anyway. Kids enjoyed it though as lots of pizza, spag bol and chips! We struggled for choice, chicken, chicken and more chicken.

Interesting country with lots of history. We did the day trip to Havana which was an eye opener, well worth doing, but beware there are lots of beggars.

The beach at Varadero was lush, out of this world; the sea is like a bath, so calm and warm.

The kids club at Las Brisas wasn't very good, we put our children in there twice but felt they weren’t being watched as the girl in charge was just doing it because that's her job, not because she had any interest in looking after the kids.

The entertainment was run by the animation team; they work hard and are very enthusiastic. Before the main entertainment at 9pm they had a children's show at 7pm, which was a big hit and the kids loved the team.

Definitely recommends Cuba, the food is basic but the people and the beaches are wonderful."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of May 2007

Varadero is a purpose built resort built...

Reviewed Wed 17th of January 2007

"Varadero is a purpose built resort built up of only tourists, so it is best to go on day trips provided by your tour operator to get the real feel of Cuba.

When me and my girlfriend went to Varadero it was early October and we were told by the travel agent that it was hurricane season, but when we arrived and through out our 2 week stay the sun was shining bright and the temperatures remained in the high 20-30s.

I'm an adventure kind of guy and so I dragged my girlfriend into what was called a Rambo Tour. We were taken about 4 hours out of Varadero into the mountains where we were met by an old Russian army truck and taken further into the mountains where we then walked for a hour and a half and then heard the sound of running water only to walk around the next bend in the path and passed the next coffee plant and banana tree to find a beautiful waterfall. This is where the Rambo Tour really beings.

Our guide who speaks perfect English then takes us through that freezing cold but lovely and fresh waterfall and through the rivers path of the waterfall and through mini waterfalls until an hour later we see a rope swing where we each swing from and land in the clearest green lagoon you have ever seen with small waterfalls surrounding it. It was amazing and the girlfriend even enjoyed it as scared as she was! It is definitely a must if you ever go.

We also went to a cigar factory in Havana and swam with dolphins. There is plenty of things to do and see in Cuba and the people there are so welcoming and helpful.

One downside we found was that the food was not great at all, it was very bland and sometimes very peculiar! However, since returning from our holiday friends who have been to other parts of Cuba had no complaints about the food so maybe it was just pure bad luck for us.

Overall I give Cuba a 7/10 rating and recommend it to everyone."

• Travel date: Wed 17th of January 2007

We have just returned from 3 days in Hav...

Reviewed Thu 28th of December 2006

"We have just returned from 3 days in Havana at Comodoro Hotel and 11 days in Brisas del Caribe. Had a wonderful time.

Both hotels were great and the beaches are just gorgeous. The staff were lovely at Brisas del Caribe. Always laughing and joking and the atmosphere was really relaxed.

The entertainment staff put lots of effort in too and were great. The hotel was everything we wanted with lots of bars, 3 restaurants and lovely pools with the option of a quieter area.

Cuban food generally is not the best but there was always lots to eat and enjoy, even for a vegetarian like myself and the fruit is just lovely there.

Whilst the hotel is 4* it is probably fair to say that their standards are lower than ours, so a good 3* was a more appropriate rating.

Comodoro was also great and probably better than Brisas. We had a huge room and the food was excellent. A little way out of Havana which meant it was quiet and peaceful but we needed the shuttle bus or taxi to get into town.

Overall a lovely holiday with lovely people and beaches like paradise.

Only down side for me was all the street dogs and poor overworked horses. If you are an animal lover like me please take flea and worm treatments for the dogs [check with customs it is safe to do so] and please don't ride on the horse and carts giving these horses even more work to do.

I also took T shirts, pens and toys to give to the Cuban people which they really seemed to appreciate. They are poor so really appreciate the tips, just a peso here and there makes a difference and is nothing to those of us probably spending £1,000 each on a holiday.

Have a great time if you go. Well worth a visit!"

• Travel date: Thu 28th of December 2006

The hotel was fantastic and all the staf...

Reviewed Fri 8th of December 2006

"The hotel was fantastic and all the staff were so very helpful and polite.

You have a choice of three large swimming pools and a beautiful clear blue sea and white sandy beach, which is private for the hotel residents only.

Varadero is a beautiful place but I would recommend that you take a trip to Havana and into the mountains of Trinidad to see the real Cuba, as Varadero is purpose built.

The food is not that grand in Cuba we found this in Havana, and Varadero that there is not much flavour to the food, food seems watered down and has no spices to it.

Overall I recommend Cuba as it is a lovely country and is a life time experience and is very interesting to understand how the other half live. Thumbs up from me."

• Travel date: Fri 8th of December 2006

Having read the other review on here fro...

Reviewed Tue 26th of September 2006

"Having read the other review on here from September 2006 I am exasperated and can not believe that these people went to the same place as we did!

Just got back from 2 glorious weeks in Cuba, the resort was fantastic and we had very little to complain about from the hotel, the room was spacious and well equipped, always very clean and the air conditioning was a godsend!

Yes there were lots of mosquitoes but that is nature for you so we just itched along with everyone else and got on with it!

Drinks were plentiful and we didn’t have a problem with the service, we didn't tip all the time but were still served quickly without any problem.

The ala carte restaurants were nice, the buffet restaurant had a wide range of dishes which weren't to everyone’s taste but with such a variety there was always something you would like.24 hour snack bar always had fresh pizzas, sandwiches, burgers etc as well.

The beach was fantastic as were the swimming pools, evening entertainment was always good! The trips we went on (5 in total) were all brilliant.

All in all our holiday was excellent, don't listen to the people who moan about this hotel, they obviously forget that they are in another country and cannot expect the standards to be the same as they are in England! Yes things are different but that adds to the holiday in my opinion! Perhaps these people would be better off staying at home!!!

• Travel date: Tue 26th of September 2006

Hotels near Brisas del Caribe Hotel

Top traveller tips for Brisas del Caribe Hotel

• hija by hija

"Eating the burgers/sandwiches prepared right at the beach of Amigo Varadero. "

• kryspi by kryspi

"Varadero is a great beach holiday for Montrealers. "

• A brazilian in vacations by A brazilian in vacations

"Varadero beach is beautiful but not this hotel "

• Vanessa C by Vanessa C

"Just remember that you are still going to Cuba, and your not going to get a super fancy resort, and don;t be so picky! The resort is great, bring your ipod with you to listen to your music while relaxing on the beach. "

Brisas del Caribe Hotel is also called