About Blau Varadero Hotel

• paid internet
  • tennis court

Blau varedero

Reviewed Sat 24th of September 2016

"We went to the Blau Varedero on 1st September 2016 had a great time on the first week we went to Havana on the over night trip it was really good. I think this is when I had 2 pair of new trousers 1 top and1 pashmina stolen from our room. Early hours of Sunday morning I had diarrhea so went to the pharmacy in the hotel was given probiotics, penicillin and dioralite equivalent, none of these medications worked so for a whole week I was feeling quite ill. When I got home I went to the Doctors and tests showed that I had Samonella so beware when eating eggs and chicken at this hotel. We won't be going back there in a hurry!"

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of September 2016

Blau varadero hotel

Reviewed Fri 30th of September 2016

"The hotel is in a really good location, it has a lovely white sandy beach and a large pool . There are lots of sun beds both at the pool and the beach. There was the usual pool entertainment every day. We were lucky to get a select room which had recently been decorated. There wasn't much room in the wardrobes and as there was 3 of us we had to put our clothes over chairs and on coat pegs on the wall* .I would check your clothing every day as I had 2pairs of women's trousers and a pajama go missing out of our room it seems that the maid kept leaving the patio doors unlocked after cleaning . we were on the 12th floor but we still checked the doors were locked every time we left the room. The bathroom had a shower over a bath with a toilet and bidet . There was a large private balcony with a sea view . The beds were made every day and the bathroom cleaned. There was plenty of entertainment every evening in both bars and there was a show on in theater.
There wasn't enough waiters on in the bars so the service wasn't particularly good. Fair play to the waiters they tried there best to serve everybody as quick as they could. The food at breakfast was the usual all inclusive, the lunch was varied but nothing to shout about, the food for the evening meal was reasonable. You can have two meals per week in the restaurants, Mexican which is good . The international was not so good. We never ate at the beach bar but people told us that there was a very limited choice.
If you take your mobile with you check with the hotel reception where you need to go to register it cause if you don't your phone service will be cut off after a couple of days

We had a good time at this hotel but was spoiled by the fact that new clothing I had not worn went missing.

• Travel date: Sun 18th of September 2016

Excellente

Reviewed Thu 30th of June 2011

"What can i say about his hotel...amazing, great food, great location, great people and great beach, i for one will certaintly be going back. Please do not be put off by any negative reviews there is no pleasing some people!!!!! Cuba is a fantastic place to visit and you will be more than happy staying in the Blau."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of June 2011

Fantastic Blau

Reviewed Fri 20th of May 2011

"We are returning to the Blau in July for the third time and it will be our fourth time in Cuba.
I have found the Country to be a very safe place and the Cuban people very genuine and friendly.
The food is well presented and cooked well and I can't believe the complaints I have read on this site.
Most of the staff are brilliant but of course not all, which is the same in any hotel in any Country.
It is brilliant value for money and I think people forget this when they complain.
If you do have a complaint then speak to Roberto the Manager, who works really hard to make your holiday an unforgetable experience.
If you do return then you will be asked to the returning customer's dinner which is an excellent opportunity to let the Manager know your views.
As regards tipping, we do tip if the service is good which we would do anywhere. We have received gifts from the staff without looking for anything in return
So do visit this hotel and enjoy yourselves.

• Travel date: Thu 19th of May 2011

fantastic cuba

Reviewed Wed 18th of August 2010

"we arrived in cuba not sure what to expect,but now can't wait to go back, this was helped by the fact that we stayed at the hotel blau in Varadero. A wonderful hotel food was good, room service was excellent as was the staff who were very welcoming and the entertainment was fantastic!!.

We loved every moment of our holiday and we would go back tomorrow. we have had holidays around the world,and we found cuba absolutely brilliant.what a wonderful hotel where the staff want you to have a fantastic holiday and go out of their way to make it happen.

We went to Havana on a 2 day trip and while we enjoyed it, its all a bit of a rush but well worth doing. We went to see the dolphin show and ended up swimming with them. what a fantastic day,never to be forgotten.

The beaches are simply great well looked after and clean with plenty of beds and the water is crystal clear and warm and you can walk out in to the water on gentle sloping beaches.

The hotel is modern, very clean with great staff who always have a smile on their face. The pools are always clean and the pool bar is open at 7am every morning!The nonly moan Ive got about the hotel, the lifts take forever and are used by the staff to take luggage up and down as they is no service lifts,but thats my opinion and Im a grumpy old man so Im told.

I reccomend taking the red tourist buses that run along the front,it cost 5 pesos and you can ride them all day,plus there open topped and you get some great views,and another plus is they run all the way from one end of the pennisula to the other. we took £1500 with us and changed money as we needed it at the hotel we came back with £600 so we spent £900 but this included paying for all the tours and eating out a few nights.

If you do decide to visit cuba,you cannot go wrong staying at this hotel and we wish you a super holiday.

Paul & Chrissy

• Travel date: Wed 18th of August 2010

Amazing

Reviewed Thu 15th of July 2010

"My Husband and I booked Cuba for our Honeymoon and was told Blau was a good hotel, boy did they get it right. We loved this place. Every day we would spend at the pool or beach we used all the sports stuff I was out on the catermaran (spelling?) every day and we ate at the outside resturant, I loved the ice cream.

The Evening started in the piano bar where we had table service and the live music was so relaxing, we would then go to dinner huge choice of food and drink, the musicians are amazing and will play anything you want one time they played sweet child of mine for my husband very funny.

Get a sea view it is amazing and will really make you holiday.

Loads of jelly fish were washed up on the sea one day and they had them all cleared within an hour, also the special resturants are great we got a bottle of bubbly as it was our honeymoon everything was perfect.

The Entertainment was interesting not my cup of tea but couldn't fault it. Don't miss the water Ballet it is brill.

Room very clean and service great, saving my pennies to go ago.

You will have a great time just relax and let Cuban life take over.

I would also recommend the open bus tour just at the bottom of the road from hotel, its a great way to see Varadero. "

• Travel date: Wed 14th of July 2010

Nice holiday but.....

Reviewed Mon 28th of June 2010

"Just got back from the Blau Varadero and I would love to tell you that everything was fantastic with it I can't, it definately isn't a 4 star hotel:-

The rooms are cleaned every day although they don't change the sheets on the bed for 7 days unless you leave a card on the bed asking them to change them!! but the rooms really are quite basic inside, yes they have a hair dryer in the bathroom (which is just one of those tubes that blows out hot air) it wouldn't even clear the steam off the mirror, oh and there is a bidet!! but the rooms all need re-decorating and the wooden furniture should be renewed,the edges of the cupboard that held the television were all broken and drag your clothes if you forgot about it!! - yep I did!!

The hotel food is basic and with it being a poor country you shouldn't really expect too much but when you are picking food in the hope that none of the resident flies have been on it it starts to make you feel quite ill.

Most of the staff are helpful and even more so when you tip them, expect to wait if you haven't tipped, the trouble is they change shifts and places they work in, so you are forever tipping if you want to get decent service.

My next point is that the rooms have a complimentary safe - USE IT for everything. I took extra tablets with me for my blood pressure and other health problems that I have and left them on the unit in the room, yes you can guess what I am going to say next, half of my blood pressure tablets went missing. I didn't report it to our rep because I started doubting myself as to whether I had taken extra with me, so I had to wait until I got home to confirm what I knew.( I only took extra because of the stories of people getting stranded because of the ash cloud, so I wanted to be prepared). After that I started leaving my tablets in the safe.

We were also told from other people staying in the hotel to check the amount of currency you were given when changing money at reception, a few people had been short changed as the girl who did it always failed to give them their receipt, so make sure you get your receipt and double check the amount you receive before leaving the reception desk.

We went to Havanah for a day, what an experience for good and bad reasons it really opens your eyes as to how poor the people are there and you experience the amount of begging that goes on - if you go on an organised tour expect to get hassled for money where ever you stop or go into, even one of the museums, some of the women who work in them act as if they are befriending you and try and get you to hand over money to them - just be very wary of every one, which is a shame as we did meet some lovely genuine people.

The Airport is another place to get robbed and I mean robbed - I put my hand luggage through the x-ray machine as you have to, and was then asked my one of the ladies who does it to open my bag as it had to get checked - she took everything out after having a good feel around with her hands and then put my things back including my purse and told me it had to go through the x-ray again as I had left a pair of tweezers in my bag. She gave my bag to a lady who was sitting behind her but who was slightly behind a wall so I couldn't see what was going on but my bag came back out and then she started saying that she needed my passport and then said she would speak to the man she had called over to see if I could just go through, I did feel very worried and all over a pair of tweezers. Anyway after talking behind her hands to him she gave me my bag back and told me not to open it while in the airport in case anyone else saw the tweezers - I thanked her and went on to the lounge where we had a few drinks and kept my bag firmly shut, but when we got on the plane it was as if someone had switched a light on in my head, I just sat up straight and said to my husband, oh no, did that woman put my purse back in my bag, even if she hadn't we were now up in the air, .... phew my purse was there but £20 had gone out of the back of it!! so please don't be nieve like me, be very wary of everybody even if they try to befriend you.

...YOU GUESSED RIGHT - I WON'T BE GOING BACK TO CUBA"

• Travel date: Sat 19th of June 2010

The Best

Reviewed Mon 8th of February 2010

"This hotel is beautiful, the staff are great, house keeping was excellent. We took the trip to Havana and stay in 5* hotel and the Tropicana Cabaret night was brilliant, highly recommended. Went into Varadero a couple of nights and had a meal and met a few Cuban locals which were really friendly. We travelled with Thomas Cook and couldn't fault any of the holiday. The guys on the beach brush all the sand off your sun lounger but politely we just tipped them 1 cuban peso but you really don't have to, its just a extra for them.
All inclusive drinks include basically anything from Champagne, wine, cocktails, bacardi etc.... Once the bar closes, the beach party start. Top up on your Mosquito repellant as there are quite a few especially if there has been a rain fall...only had 1 in the two weeks we stayed..Would definitely recommend and go back"

• Travel date: Sat 6th of February 2010

Definitely recommended

Reviewed Thu 6th of November 2008

"We gave the Blau a tough test. My partner has spent years in hotel management and on arrival we were both thoroughly fed up with our treatment at the hands of First Choice so not the ideal guests but the stay was outstanding.

We found friendly staff, no problems with the food and drink, overall a very impressive package even if some of the other guests (particularly the numerous Russians) clearly didn't appreciate what they were getting.

We docked the Blau one point for noisy evening entertainment, it didn't go on very late but was deafening close up and audible throughout the building.

We plan to go back to Cuba, partly to see more of Havana and also to do more diving, but for practical purposes our plans rule out the Blau, something we both regret. We are certainly happy to recommend the hotel to anyone who wants to visit Cuba.

However, one thing for certain is we will not use First Choice again, while their Cuban reps were fine their UK customer service is a disgrace. "

• Travel date: Thu 6th of November 2008

The hotel as you arrive is impressive to...

Reviewed Sun 22nd of June 2008

"The hotel as you arrive is impressive to say the least, and stands out a mile on the strip of hotels the 'Blau' is situated on.

When you get into the lobby to check in you are really taken aback by the stunning interior! Glass dome lifts and Ivy leaves that fall from every floor.

We requested at booking stage, Ocean view and king size bed. We got BOTH!!! (Thank-you First Choice!!!) It was not only Ocean view...it was Pool view, Garden view and Ocean view! Absolutely stunning! Words cannot explain! It’s something you need to see for yourself.

Food is great and the choice is plentiful.
Breakfast: Omelette, cereals, smoothies and full English is just a small selection of what was to offer.

Lunch: Served in the grill (pool side) Pizza, hotdogs, burgers, pasta, fish, chips, salad and rice, with ice cream to cool you down before sunbathing in the blazing sun.

Dinner: With different types of rice, potatoes, vegetables and freshly cooked meats prepared by the chefs in front of your eyes so you know its really fresh (turkey, duck, lamb, beef, fish, shrimp, mussels, squid, pork etc...) you wont go hungry! And are truly spoilt!

Desserts cater for everyone as well, from cakes to biscuits to ice - cream.

The pool is probably the best pool I have been in. It is not too deep at only 1.32 metres at its biggest depth but is huge in width. Also boasts an outdoor Jacuzzi which is just lovely to relax in! All in all a gorgeous pool.

There is also an all inclusive spa (Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room) which is perfect! Not many people know about it either so is usually quiet.

The beach is everything a Caribbean beach is thought of! Palm trees, white sands blue/clear sea. Breathtaking!!!!!!!!!! With plenty of sun beds, shade and aqua activities. It is a beach experience to remember.

The staff are so helpful, and all speak enough English to hold a conversation. The Inside Bar is impressive and the staff work so hard to maintain a friendly and clean atmosphere. Every tip given was well deserved.

Our maid (Dolores) was soooo nice and would always leave a little note saying ''enjoy your holiday''. Just another little perfect touch that makes 'Blau' an awesome place to stay. My nighty would be made part of the design Dolores would make with our towels every day.

Day trips are a must, highly recommend the dolphin delight, Havana and the Cayo Blanco seafari trip too!

One word of WARNING though. Take plenty of mosquito repellent and after bite lotion! They are out in force. At one point I had 21 on one leg. I was lucky as they come out smaller than a spot but they itch like mad. My partner had 7 on his head, 6 on each elbow, 3 on is back, 2 on his thighs and a few more here, there and everywhere, which were the size of a 5pence piece.

I cried when we had to leave. We both can’t wait to book again which will hopefully be next November/December time! My all time favourite hotel and holiday!

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!"

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of June 2008

this was my first time in cuba...

Reviewed Mon 9th of June 2008

this was my first time in cuba i also had mixed feeling, but when i got to the hotel and enter the lobby, i was amazed. the hotel was brilliant, staff were helpfull and so friendly, star rating five and would go again. oh i forgot we are in two years time haha
i must say the havana over night is a must and also the katamarang day is all so a must
we had a good day. and once again, the crew were marvellous.
so as i said will be going again to try the other tours.
foot note the entertainment at the hotel kept you happy so i recommend that you go there. what ever the occation"

• Travel date: Mon 9th of June 2008

Our first time in Cuba and went to the B...

Reviewed Sun 25th of May 2008

"Our first time in Cuba and went to the Blau on the recommendation of a friend who also came. Was not disappointed. The hotel made the holiday. From the friendly staff to the great food (though I was gagging for a Big Mac at the end of the Holiday). The hotel is beautiful inside and out and is very clean. Loved the cocktail bar at night and the kids stocked up on strawberry milkshakes all day. All in all very highly recommended whether its your 1st time or your 100th time in Cuba"

• Travel date: Sun 25th of May 2008

Hotels near Blau Varadero Hotel

Top traveller tips for Blau Varadero Hotel

• Lindsayp by Lindsayp

"Cuba is a magical place Havana is a must and chilling by the pool with the views was amazing. "

• daddycool by daddycool

"excellent hotel super staff "

• Els by Els

"Go out on theInsist that the patio doors are kept locked when you are not in your room "

• Els by Els

"Don't eat eggs or chicken. lock up your clothes in your case. Whilst out of your room. "

• Kopykat by Kopykat

"Don't go in the first place it's filthy "

Blau Varadero Hotel is also called