Exterior view

• kids club
  • babysitting

should be a 3 + star

Reviewed 13th November 2016

"The hotel is dated need hygiene levels need up dating covering food. hand wash in the toilets. you can only use the other restaurants once in the whole two weeks you are there. the food is the same every day dinner & tea. no activities available only, Peddlos, Catamarans .still charging full price for the Dolphin trip even though it was 5 min walk from the hotel £69 Paso's we walk & paid 25. this will change when they go back to their location on the other island. then yes the price is still a bit steep but so long as it goes to the welfare of the dolphins its worth it. the staff @ the hotel were very nice they were great. some of the chiefs are wasted as they just cook the same food. Talent wasted . I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH CLING FILM YOUR CASES ON YOUR WAY HOME. My Cousin had her suitcase broken in to while in the hands of the air port. she handed it over @ check in when we got back home she noticed her jewellery had all gone. even her spare reading glasses . The beach is to die for."

• Travel date: 15th October 2016

Reviewed 30th November 2010

"great time had by all.food staff amazing. rooms basic but clean.the hotel entertainment team organise a morning trip for next to nothing ask at beach hut about it. no one tell you about it at welcome meeting as its very much cheaper."

• Travel date: 30th November 2010

amazing

Reviewed 20th September 2010

"well if im being honest, you read reviews on sites like this one and it can make you second guess its standards, but this hotel it amazing! i honestly cant fault it. the rooms were what you expect, beds are comfy and cleaned daily!! TV provides great films like alll day! rooms have amazing air conditioning. Loads of people have complained about the food! but what the actual the food is like one of the best bits, you are spoilt for choice they cook loads of fresh meat for you how you want it, same with pasta. I have to say the salad its a personal fav too much vinegar but thats typical for cuba its not the hotel. The pools were great, sea was fantastic. lots to do and watch on a night time! i really honestly cant fault it.. id deffo go back!! so seriously ignore any bad reviews they are talking out of their backsides! i would deffo go back and i would recommend it to friends.. ooo if you go make the most of the all inclusive because alot is included, most sports, the gym and spa are also included!!! :D "

• Travel date: 20th September 2010

great vacation

Reviewed 18th May 2010

"Just got back from Cuba with another couple. Gotto say this resort is great! the food and people here are amazing! only thing though I losted my Camera right on the beach and my shirt right in the bathroom so ADVISE to everyone is don't bring valuable stuff! because there is thief everywhere at the resort. The front desk is terrible though, lack of communication and lazy! the rest of the workers in the resort work so hard! thought that's not fair at all. Bring cloths and shoes for the poor, they need it more then anything else. Don't only leave stuff to the maid, they have so much they told me they want money!"

• Travel date: 16th May 2010

THE BEST !!!!!!

Reviewed 21st October 2009

"We have just come back after two weeks in this resort. Myself and my Husband went with two other couples as a party of six we have never been treated so well by staff, checking had been done for us as was booking the a la carte meals. The rooms were vary clean and luxurious views were fantastic and we were given rooms close together. The food was exellent apart from the international meal that was a little lower standard we would all recommend the french restaurant that was the best!!!!. The beach was fantastic and very close by you were given beach towels and could change them every day. I would say the only down side is we had some belongings stolen from the rooms in the evening so make sure you keep them with you as also one of our safes had english money taken out of it. I would still go back again and if any body does go the activities team had a yound lady working for them called Anabell go and look her up she is a right laugh she made you feel like doing the activities that the resort has to offer. The trips out are a little expensive but worth very penny this resort looks over onto the dohpinarium as well this was a great day out. This resort also has the facilities to teach you to scuba dive for as little as fourty peso's this was one of highlights for me as well. Havana is further away than you would think and this is most expensive as you go by light aircraft. We also drove a speedboat saw the first place that columbus landed i can now see why he said it was the most beautiful place he had ever seen. I am totally in awe of these people and this country a did not want to come home and cannot wait to go back. Don't let the fact of a few cleaners in the evening being light fingered put you off as you would miss out on a fantastic holiday. The beach was wonderufl it would start out blue in the morning and by lunch time it would have changed to green. We took some bread out when we went snorkeling and watched the fish feed around us. A most wonderful time was had by all six of us!!!!!!!!!!!!"

• Travel date: 21st October 2009

Great Holiday Great Hotel

Reviewed 15th September 2009

"This is our second time back to Sol Rio Luna y Mares. We and a group of other friends really enjoyed being at this hotels one of the best yet thats why we are all returning on the 16 September. The food is good no complaints. Its makes you laugh all the times we have been going that no one as ever been ill and on our last visit they was over 25 of us People complain about everything but we recommend this as the best hotel we have stopped in Cuba. All the staff and entertainment team are very friendly. You cant plaese everyone but the food is good and I am the one of the party who always ends up ill and never have been ill at this hotel. Maybe the peopl who said they was ill eat outside the hotel and thats why they became ill!"

• Travel date: 13th September 2009

great location, bad food

Reviewed 25th June 2009

" We just spent two weeks in Sol Luna de Mares. we really enjoyed the beach sun and the sea. is really just steps away from the hotel.they have a very friendly and helpfull staff.the rooms are quite good. but... the food in the buffet is below standard.salads smell like they gone off, fish and meat are not stored in chilled unites, flies are helping themselfs to everyting ,everyday we were dreading to go down for a meal or breakfast. The only good food was in the french restaurant, but u could only eat there once or twice if u lucky and booked it in advance.We ended up with upset stomach and diarrhoea all the time.Ofcourse we wont b coming back to this place again . its a shame ,if they could only do smth about the food , they really have a good location ......."

• Travel date: 25th June 2009

Great Time

Reviewed 16th March 2009

"Flight from Gatwick was delayed by one and a half hours, no problem we’re going on holiday. We flew with Thomas Cook on an airbus 330, seating 3+3+3, no problems with the outbound flight, free travel socks, headphones, eye covers (not sure what they called , like a blind fold) this plane had the seat back tv’s but not the remote control and being six foot had the amount of legroom I have come to expect however on the return flight the plane was the same type but with remote controls for the tv and I may be wrong but there was less legroom on this one, I was not the only one to comment and the hostess was heard to say to another passenger that they were thinking of taking out some seats as it was too cramped, not a lot you can do except pay extra for more legroom, so if you see remote control when you get on be prepared for an uncomfortable flight. Transfer to SRLM was good, took about an hour and gives you a chance to see a bit of the place. No problems checking in, we were at the luna side, we were given a room in block 7 on the third floor, room was fine, yes the luna side is a bit tired but for us it didn’t matter at all, they actually started painting this side while we were there. The maid left the obligatory swans etc and we left her a few gifts at the end of the first week and when we left. The room we had had a sea view as the trees parted at our balcony, I don’t know about the other rooms but to be honest we are only in the room for washing , changing sleeping etc. so we were not bothered if we had a view or not. Beach- beautiful, bit rocky at the shore towards Paradiso but going the other way white sand and turquoise sea, I don’t know if it was the time of year or whether the Atlantic side is always a bit choppy, it wasn’t rough enough to stop you going in but for the weaker swimmer like myself it was too rough to snorkel, there is a reef out in the bay that you could take a pedalo out too then snorkel but we chose to go to the public beach at Guardalavaca for snorkelling which was a lot calmer. Two beach bars which double as a la cartes in the evening. Not problem getting sun beds as soon as we walked onto the beach the bed guys clocked us and waited till we found a spot then over they would come with the beds. Restaurants – We ate at all the a la cartes, no complaints about any of them, for us the Italian and Romantica were the best. Buffets – The buffet at the Mares side has more choice but gets busy the one at Luna has a bit less choice but was quieter, also at the Luna side when they were cooking your chicken they add garlic, which I heard someone moaning about but I love it so no problem, we only ate breakfast at this side as it was closer to our room and the chef got to know how I like my eggs (she used to start them when she saw me come in) Grounds – always tidy Entertainment - we only saw two shows which were good, didn’t do any organised activities during the day so cannot comment on the animation team. Now, if you are going all the way to Cuba you should get yourself out and see the place not just the organised trips, We spent 2 days in Havana which was very enjoyable and not to be missed, you do all the tourist trail – daiquiris here, mojitos there, Tropicana show, revolution square. As I said not to be missed but we had an amazing time when we hired a taxi and went to Holguin and Gibara you decide where you want to go. We ate at a private house and I must say it was the best food we ate. Coming back you will fly to Varadero first, we had to stay on the plane while they restocked and refuelled, total time one and a half hours, not good but one of them things. This is my first review so there is probably loads I have missed out and loads I didn’t need to write, if there is anything you particularly want to know please mail me and I will try to answer."

• Travel date: 13th March 2009

We have just come back from this rsort h...

Reviewed 11th September 2008

"We have just come back from this rsort having experienced the Hurricane Ike, i MUST say the staff there are FANTASTIC!!!! The resort is ruined, the interior of the hotel is now a shell with the beach bar and beach snack bar all but destroyed with the main snack bar area in ruins. Corridor ceilings are ALL down with roof tiles all but gone Within a few hours the staff had food for the guests arranged and the bar up and running within two days. The same staff work constantly for 3 days after the Hurricane with all the guests helping to clear the hotel of debris. First Choice however were a DISGRACE!!!! The Rep was useless, never once did she (Monica) come to check on the well being of her guests, no updates were given, no group meetings were held, no arrangements for return flights were issued- in short she nor the company had a clue what to do during an emergency. I know that the 60 odd First Choice guests were furious that they had the misfortune to have such a rubbish REP. First Choice actually sent guests into the Hotel on the Saturday before the Hurricane arrived. I will upload some video footage in due course, My advice would be may First Choice your LAST Choice!! The 1/10 overall rating is for First Choice - 10/10 for the Hotel Staff!!!"

• Travel date: 11th September 2008

One of the best holidays I’ve had. Won...

Reviewed 7th July 2008

"One of the best holidays I’ve had. Wonderful weather, hotel, beach, staffs, entertainers, all inclusive food & drinks 24/7. So I’m just mainly going to agree with the comments left by the previous visitors. Booking in: - Receptionists do ask you if need help with your luggage! Say yes please, because it would be daunting trying to find block, floor and room, if you never been there before and especially after dusk. Sort out tipping (not compulsory) after you get your £s changed to cuc. Next day: - Getting wakened up by strange bird calls. Brings smiles to your face even before you open your eyes. Little black birds making amazing enchanting loud noise. Best views: - When you’re on top of the hotel’s sun deck, looking over the lagoon, rolling hills, white beach and blue sea. Fantastic. Excursions: - Havana, Santiago de Cuba, dolphin swim and many more are really for people who can stay longer then a week. So much to do already. Walks: - Best walks are on the wooden bridge over the lagoon and on powdery white beach to hotel paradises at sun set, bang on 6pm. Salsa: - I was a bit disappointed with the standard of dance lessons or rather the lack of, having done basic Cuban salsa in Manchester UK. It was nothing more then a warm up by the pools by very professional friendly entertainers. Fashion shows: - Paraded by pretty slim young girls at the Mares swimming pool and bar. Guest can buy any of those rather daring dresses if they wish. Saw one women of size 12 may be 14, trying on each and every one them over her bikini, in vane for over half an hour! Food: - There was plenty of good food and drinks including cocktails. People were sensible though. I didn’t see much waste, except one did get lured and carried away once, with every intension of eating the lot, then couldn’t. I do have one complaint to make to the kitchen department. Bacon rashes offered at buffet and still stuck together in 4s or 5s couldn’t have been cooked properly, could it? Wind surfing: - You’re at mercy of wind and waves at sea. one of the three instructors was cheeky to say the least. After securing my old trainers for him self, he offered me little help rigging up with my board and sail. When I’d finished, he held out two large flasks. Asked me if I’d mind getting them filled up with coke and lager at the bar. He said why not? It won’t cost you any thing. Free scuba diving experience. Wish there was. Rather large diving instructor, who sat in shade out side his hut, chatting with other helpers practically all of the day, only wanted people to sign up for the four day course. All in all, it was good and I certainly would go again, to Cuba. Just have to make sure I don’t get taken for a ride. Except on the back of a horse, which was in fact very good. "

• Travel date: 7th July 2008

Just got back from Cuba - had a fantasti...

Reviewed 8th March 2008

"Just got back from Cuba - had a fantastic holiday ! TheLuna Mares hotel looks very impressing when you arrive, it has a huge, open reception, full of plants and with a view to the pool. We stayed on the Luna side, which most of the time was the quieter side with regards to evening entertainment. Luna usually had a piano player, while Mares had Cuban singers and musicians. But if you don't like one or another you can always just walk across to the other hotel, as they are joined together. In between the two there is a theatre, which puts on a show most nights. the Cabaret I would reccommend to everyone, the dancers are lovely, and they put on a very varied, fun show. Howeer, avoid Tarzan !! It's dreadful... On our last night, there was an amazing show - it was by the pool, which was lit by candles, and we were lounging on sunbeds, but others were watching from the tables that are put outsides for the restaurants and were having their meals while watching the show. There was everything from fashion show, to dancers, acrobats and a water dance show in the pool, which was absolutely amazing. The rooms in the hotel are wonderful, and I loved how the rooms are built, so that the buildings are almost wrapped around the gorgeous palmtrees. The sea is amazing, Esmeralda beach is really clean, there's at least one goof bar/restaurant, so you don't even have to leave if you want a quick lunch. You can snorkel, take out the padelos, or sail. There's beach football, volleyball, a library (!!), you get clean towels every day for the beach if you wish, and if you start walking along the beach towards Paradiso hotel, there's a beautiful bay too. We did get some tummy upsets, not sure what caused it. The food was ok, we loved the Mexican restaurant, but the Italian we weren't so impreesed by, as we set there for 90 minutes, but we just wanted a quick lunch, and the waitresses didn't really serve us. Others were sitting down, eating, and leaving while we were still waiting to be served our food. Maybe it#s because we were 5 people in our 20s, but still... the excursions were really good, the tour guides were excellent, all very knowledgable, helpful, and really took care of us. We did the Sun cruise, which contains going out to see on a boat, sailing by Esmeralda beach, stopping for an hour snorkelling, and then going to swim with dolphins. The dolphinswim was fantastic, what an experience !!! We also went to Santiago de Cuba. You can do this going by plane or by coach. First, we chose to go by plane, but after a quick calculation, we discovered that the flight would only be a little shorter as you would still have to go to Holguin to catch the plane (an hour away) and then a 90 minutes flight, with the usual airport procedures, it would have been at least 3 hours each way. So we decided to go by coach instead, which took 3 hours 45 minutes each way and we could have a look at the amazing Cuban countryside. And it cost almost half the price !!! We were very happy with the tour, although in my opinion the 1 hour free time allowed in the inner city was nowhere near enough, and they could have easily allowed 2 hours. You can also visit Havana, as there are one or two day excursions by flight. At the hotel, there's always music blaring out of the loudspeakers, which I especially loved, as I love salsa music. There was a dance lessons every day by both pools, and disco every night on the beach, where we could dance with the locals. There's also a fitness centre, with great facilities, a gym, aerobic lessons in the morning, jacuzzis, massage, manicure, tennis courts, and so on... Anyway, I would reccommend this hotel to anyone, it was great value for money, the food could have been a little better, but still OK, and other than that, everything was excellent."

• Travel date: 8th March 2008

This hotel has everything to offer from ...

Reviewed 29th May 2007

"This hotel has everything to offer from the moment you arrive. The rooms a very basic but everything you need for a 2 week holiday and kept clean and tidy. The beach is the most amazing place the water is so blue and the sand so white. On the beach there are lots of activities for everyone to join in or just watch. The beach restaurant is lovely with very good service and food. Watch out though lots of crabs are running across your feet and sand whilst your eating its very funny. The hotel is joined to next door so if you don’t like the entertainment in one you can walk to the other. Just the same with the pools. If you don’t want to eat in the main dinning rooms there a lots of restaurants but you have to book at reception each morning to use them. It’s a very well relaxed holiday destination with friendly staff and lots to do would recommend this to anyone. I have been to the Bahamas, Jamaica twice and this holiday is very good value for money. The catamaran is also a must as snorkelling is great. Anyone who loves the white sand and a good time will enjoy here."

• Travel date: 29th May 2007

Hotels near Sol Rio de Luna y Mares

Top traveller tips for Sol Rio de Luna y Mares

• by Melinda C

"Hygiene cover the food. hand wash in all the Toilets. open all the activities all year [email protected] both ends of the complex.Chiefs are wasted co..."

• by happyinspain

"go out and see the real cuba"

• by room 8118

"My favourite city! my third home now, definitely come back!"

• by deborahncolin

"swimming with the dolphins they are so gentle."

• by deborahncolin

"Go to the cigar factory it is an eye opener."

• by brunshawag

"all the hotel restaurants "

• by beach79

"lovely area , nice beches , friendly people"

• by filthyfrog

"Going out with taxi driver off the tourist route"

Sol Rio de Luna y Mares is also called

• Sol Rio De Luna y Mares
  • sol luna mares
  • sol rio de luna y mares resort