Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel

Calle 2, Playa, Guardalavaca 84170 Cuba

Good
1927

HAve been 4 times

Good

"I've been 4 times, my moms been 8. I love it its great!!!! The people are amazing, very polite and helpful. Old clothes, some candies are a great gift if you leave them on the bed. I can almost gaurentee you will return. Only complait is the food is alot the same each night, though there are 2 reastaurants (included 1 night at each) that are an amazing change from the buffet!"

• Travel date: Mon 20th of October 2003

WOW WEE !!!!!

Good

"My Wife and I booked this holiday at a weeks notice, and have come to the same conclusion that was the best decision we've ever made. the Hotel was ideal situated right on the beach. With the six bars and 5 reasturants and grills, you could find something to drink or food to your taste. The entertianment was mixed from very, very good comtempary dance, singing accoppello [dont miss !] , live music to butlin's style miss and Mr Brisas. I have recommended this holiday to my friends and are looking to go again. Some tips . Dont pay the extra to join the VIP or quick route for the ride home as the airport is the best I have seen in the 3rd world. you are not kept waiting long .Though i would advice to keep your baggage to the 20kg or less as the checkin desk the chappie will tell you have to pay $10 for every 1kg over, will let you off with a smile and expect $10 for doing so. Also I think that they x-ray your hold luggage, as 1 of our party had all his turned out to find 5 or 6 boxes of cigars. Keep to what you are allowed, as will lose the lot. Also tips to staff in the hotel, specially the waiters/waitresses, I would that you sit in the same area for each meal and then tip/gift every couple of days. As i missed tipping 1 waiter as he went off duty the day before i left and did not return. So I have to go back to tip him.Toileties, make up and such i am told are much in demarnd. Next time i will leave some of my clothes to make space for the rum. Give me an E if you want more info."

• Travel date: Mon 20th of October 2003

Fantastic

Good

"During May of this year we spent our honeymoon at the Brisas and have to say we were not disappointed. We had looked at various destinations for our honeymoon and had undertaken lots of research as we wanted this occasion to be so special. All I can say is if anyone reading this review is thinking about this hotel and is not quite sure then please do not hesitate any longer. The staff are so so friendly and nothing is too much trouble, if you lay by the pool taking in the sun and relaxing all you can then you will not even have to move to fetch any drinks or food a member of staff on roller skates will gladly fetch all you require and bring it back to you as many times as you like. Of course a dollar tip is not requested but who could receive this kind of service and not pay for it. Israel in the cappucino bar is a credit to the hotel and really made us welcome. I have to say that the wages in cuba are very low and well off they are not but they are the friendliest I have ever met. Our room was cleaned everyday by Maria and everyday she made swans from our towels and messages which was a fantastic touch. I could go on and on about the hotel but it can all be summed up in one word 'Fantastic.' On a final note I would like to recommend that anyone visiting this area leaves the Hotel and explores the surrounding areas the people are so so nice and love to meet the tourists. Dont delay book today."

• Travel date: Wed 15th of October 2003

One Week is Not Enough

"Just returned from a one fun filled, relaxing week from Brisas, Guardalavaca and was exhausted. It's a good place for kids should you have any as the resort has has plenty of activities and security. It's even better to take your significant other (Sh...my sweetie is a six time return guest and had her own tree planted by the resort, as do all return guests); as there's plenty to do, from lying in the sun, your choice of pool or beach (or I would recommend a daytrip cat. excursion on the ocean); watching the sun set in the evening; nightly show or dancing into the morning. The food was great with 24/7 restaurants or Grill with a lot of variety. I stayed in the Villa's and highly recommend it. The Villa room's are spacious and very clean. Although other guest I/we met who stayed in the hotel were just as happy with their experience. The resort staff is the best I've experienced, always hospitable, courteous and polite. The beach was only ok, yes there are better in Cuba. I personally preferred the beach at night to listen to the surf and look at the stars. The experience of the resort, especially the food and staff exceeded all expectations. There's no need to mention the generous bartenders.... Ola Brisas.... see you again and for two weeks next time...."

• Travel date: Wed 15th of October 2003

Take lots of Snacks....

"Well, we will chalk it up to an experience... We stayed in the Hotel side had an oceanview room. The view was amazing but the room was nothing to write home about. The pool's and beach were great. We travel quite frequently and have travelled to many countries in the caribbean.
We have never encountered food anywhere as horrific as here.... I lost 10lbs in a week and my husband lost 7lbs. The Itallian Restaurant which you only get to go to once in a week was GREAT. If we could have eaten there for supper everyday we would have been thrilled. The Buffet was disgusting and many nights not fit for Human Consupmtion there where many times when the food was un- recognizable. Also, be aware that when you order a Hamburger or Cheeseburger at the pool restaurant it is HAM not ground beef. Actually does not taste too bad other than the green tomatoes. Just make sure you take lots of snacks to get you through the week, Pringles are 4.00 US so it is much cheaper to take them with you.
Enjoy your trip....."

• Travel date: Mon 13th of October 2003

2 weeks next time

Good

"Just got back from a week of pure sunshine, considering everytime I check the net the weather was suppose to be horrible. First of all I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to write in to tripadviser because it helped me out alot. We where there from the 21 of Sept to the 28 and where dissappointed with just one major thing. We had tried so hard to get a villa, and consistering we booked on the Friday before we left our travel agent was great! Considering we where 5 adults and 2 children. We'll on our way to the resort we are informed that we will not be staying in the villa but in the hotel and for our inconveniance a coupon for some excursions... Was not impressed!! They told us the pool was undergoing repairs and they were moving everyone to the hotel. Well that just must have happen say Sat because we just booked Friday and Villa's were still available. Wrong! Apon getting to the resort and seeing the pool the way it was with men sanding it (noisy) and the fumes of the chemicals being used my heart sank. My husband took a look at the hotel room and decided for the size of family we had that it was not enough. So stayed in the villa with everything closed because they promised the pool would be open the Tuesday. By the way when we asked around the pool that been closed for a week!!!!!!!!! That was a let down because we payed 150 more a night to get the villa and the atmoshere of the quieter side, more family oriented for nothing. But besides that traveling with a 7 month old and a 3.5 year old there was great. Room was spacious and would recommend villas for families. Enough chose in food believe me. Considering the people starving outside the resort we shouldn't complain. Alacarte rest. were great. People were great. Rooms always clean which was most important to me. So would I recomment it yes. Villas for families, hotel for those who do not care or don't need the room. So all and all without the villa side delema I could have defently have stayed to weeks (with everything operating that is) being a busy mom I spend more time chasing little ones less then resting."

• Travel date: Tue 30th of September 2003

A little bit of paradise

"Alright! This was my first time staying at Las Brisas, Guardalavaca, and I must admit, it lives up to it's reputation of being a 4 star hotel. The snack bar was amazing with their hamburgers and french fries or should I say chips (hahaha Robert), and the buffet food was also pretty good. Breakfast was amazing. They have a juice bar, with all sorts of juices, including my favorite, banana and strawberry! The nightly entertainment was alright, but don't count on the entertainment staff to be around and entertain you. They showed up for the shows, made appearances at the disco (La Dulce VIta) every night and then retired to their rooms. It was the only thing I found the hotel to be lacking. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who has never been before. The rooms are amazing; the room in the villas are huge! I would definitely go back! There are also great excursions to go on, such as the Dolphins excursion for a fee, and it is an experience every person should live at least once. If you are travelling Air Transat, your rep may not be all that she can be. We were unable to find her and she was never around when we needed her. Anyway, all and all it was a great two weeks (a little on the looooooong side) but I would go back! Hola to all my friends from England! I told you I would post!!!!!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 29th of September 2003

Jose My Man!

"My husband and I and another couple have been to Las Brisas two times and are now planning our third visit sometime in March/April 2004! We love the resort, the people and the weather! Our first trip was in April of 2002. The weather was amazing, the drinks were awesome (Jose, you are the man!) and the food was good (in Cuban standards). All of the staff are extremely friendly, but the front desk staff leave something to be desired sometimes. The waiters are amazing and remember you from year to year.

Our second trip was in March of 2003. Once again the weather was awesome, Jose was still mixing Hoochie Coochies (we smartened up and brought our own glasses for less trips to the bar) but the quality of the food had declined since our last visit. Thank goodness for the pasta and omelette bar!

We rave so much about our trips that our little circle of travellers is expanding because everyone wants to go and enjoy themselves. I would recommend without a doubt a trip to Las Brisas, but I would upgrade to an oceanview room, it's worth the money."

• Travel date: Wed 24th of September 2003

Loved the location

"Ok, so the the hotel is shabby but our room was cleaned on a regular basis. The food wasn't good but if you choose carefully, you won't starve! The fresh salad and the french dressing were excellent as was the fruit. Bit hit and miss with the meat but plenty of salad and bread (the brown uncut bread was lovely, especially with banana. The puddings weren't good either but the biscuits were fantastic and lovely with coffee.

The 24 hour grill by the pool was OK - burgers were dire and chips with everything - but pizza's OK, especially with vegetables (lots of pepper and onion etc).

We didn't go in the seafood restaurant as we didn't hear one good report so just went to the Italian instead. The steak was cooked just right but the sauce had too much wine in it (or it hadn't been left to reduce for long enough). The second time we went in, I had the laungoustines and they were excellent. Staff in the Italian were good, as were most of the staff we encountered during our two week stay.

The Lobby bar was OK (staff a bit hostile) and they always seemed to be out of mint - for the mojitos! Likewise, the grill bar was always running out of tea bags, although other bars had them.

The Beach parties on Guardalavaca beach (Sun, Tues & Thurs) were brilliant and I even got to salsa with the locals - well worth a visit.
WE were amazed that was no charge (although you pay for your drinks which weren't expensive).

The location was excellent - the beach was great with lots of water sports.

We went on the 2 day Havana trip which was good and they packed plenty in to the timetable. The show at the Tropicana was good as well. Our guide, Celsus was excellent - very knowledgeable.

We also went swimming with dolphins and on the catarmaran.

The shows in the hotel were good, especially the house band and the acapella guys. The dancers were good - the only thing we didn't like were the Butlins type entertainment - Mrs & Mrs and Mr Brisas competitions. But then you can't like everything.

On the whole a great holiday - we met some lovely people, English, German and Canadian and had a great time. Would certainly go back."

• Travel date: Sun 21st of September 2003

Good Facilities & Beach but Terrible Food (It's Cuba)

"Stayed at the Las Brias in Guardalavaca (Hotel Side) from Sept 6th to Sept 13th, 2003 and was afraid of the hurricane season but got 7 days of sunny hot 33 degrees weather! It was not humid (surprising) and very breezy by the beach. This is a good place for the money but I must warn you that the FOOD IS PRETTY BAD. Often not edible esp. the lunch buffet and the dinner buffets at the Hotel side. The facilities were there and the beach was nice so for the money its a good deal despite dreading eating everyday. Lots of people said the food was amazing or excellent. I really dont know where they were coming from or what they are used to eating? Im picky but will still eat anything. Some meals, I couldnt even find anything to eat. Breakfast was ok. I've been to places like Palladium Kantenah/Colonial Mayan Riviera ,Casa Del Mar Bayahibe, Dom Republic, Iberostar Dominicus Hacienda Baybahibe, Dom Repubic ,Coral Hamaca Boca Chica (Santo Domingo), Dom Republic, Rancho Luna Cienfuigos , Cuba. I think the chain you go to has a big difference in the quality and service and food etc. I think European Chains like Iberostar & Fiesta (Palladium) are superior to the Domestic chains like Brias (Cuban), Coral (DR), Casa Del Mar (DR). Sometimes star ratings tell the story but sometimes they dont as stars dont rate the food quality but only the number of pools/restaurants etc. Brisa was dirt cheap as I got a great deal during low season but the food was crap, I guess for what I paid for - its not all that bad. Heres a quick summary of Las Brias: The Good: 1.Beach is very nice with a nice breeze and lots of shade if needed and turquoise water 2. Two good size pools with swim up bars. Grounds are well laid out well and lots of chairs and a manageable size resort. 3.Excellent selection of premium liquor at the bar next to the Italian restaurant 4.Good nightly entertainment. I liked the local band every night followed the shows which were not bad. 5.Plenty of lounges and papulas (pool and beach) 6.Snorkeling 200 meters off the beach is good, but non existent close to shore 7.The beach grill at the hotel has good burgers/fries and pizza when you cant find edible food at the hotel buffet (can also eat a la carte for lunch (burgers) at the Seafood Restaurant) 8.Free excursion to the Indian Village (the ride is more interesting than the village/show itself) 9.Emptiness of the resort especially in the Villa Section Now The Bad: 1.FOOD. Lunch buffet is really bad on the hotel side as well as Dinner buffet on the hotel side (Villa side is better but not always open due to low season), Soups are usually glue, Seafood restaurant are no more than buffet food in disguise. The exception is the seafood as it has lobster. ALL FOOD seemed to be OVERCOOKED esp. meats, fish, and pastas (see food section below), Bread/buns are usually hard (often like a hockey puck) and dry. There is no such thing as a real dessert/cake. They cant even get the ice cream right! 2.The BED is really bad. It sank like a hammock and I could fell the springs. Had a sore back all week 3.Service was often slow or they would forget your order. Often you are left waiting as workers are more concerned with socializing with co-workers or grabbing a drink for themselves. There are some workers who were excellent. I know youre on vacation so whats the rush but they would often tune you completely out! 4.Very few smiles/greetings from workers (unlike Mexico, Dominican Republic) could be due to management Only 1 bottle of water in the mini fridge. I managed to request more from the maid everyday but they tell everyone to refill at the bar (pain) 5.Poor facilities for Kids Club Décor of the Hotel side (lobby/rooms) look ancient Russian Austin Powers look.Here are some Hints:a)Grab a real cognac/whiskey from good bar and bring it to the show or the Grill area at night.. b)If you want peace and quite go to the Villa pool or beach. Its usually empty c) When snorkeling, enter from the boat pier as this will get you ½ way out to the reef. d)Book a la cartes and the Indian excursion right away. Arrange your a la cartes based on the buffet themes you like to skip I avoided Cuban nights. Go for the later sittings as you get more pool/beach time! e)Costs in the hotel shops are the pretty much the same as anywhere in Cuba. A bottle of rum may cost 25 cents more than duty free!! Just buy it here out of convenience. If you want cigars just go to the strip mall down the street from the hotel and buy it there f)If you have a later flight out take a hamburger or pizza to go as youll starve at the airport/in transit. Here's the details of the resort. The Villa side is much more appealing as its only 3 years old where as Hotel side looks it came out of "communist state" run hotel in Eastern Europe - Bad décor despite only being 9 years old. If the cost of the Villas is the same or marginally more go for it as the hotel rooms are a little shabbier. No smiles from the people at the front desk! Rooms need some new paint and some new caulking in the rooms esp on the hotel side. Nice balconies (we had one overlooking the ocean and pool). As mentioned above, the beds are really bad. Like sleeping on a sinking spring. Heard the Villas are quite a bit nicer but still show some wear and tear. I think its more so the décor that makes the rooms look old. But then you pay more for the Villas. The grounds are nice and compact compared so some monsterous resort Ive stayed at before. Everything is within a 5 min walk. The pools are of good size. One figure 8 shape pool on the hotel side with a nice swim up bar. One end is deep and the other is shallow. The pool gets cloudy as the week goes on. The kiddy pool doesnt look like it gets cleaned. The Jacuzzi fits 1 barely 2 (maybe too cozy). The villa side is basically empty when we were there. I believe 4 people at the pool (irregular shape) and your personal bartender at the swim up. So if this is what youre looking for stick to the villa side. The other jacuzzi on the villa side is hidden. The beach is white sand and very wide. Two side of the beach one at the hotel side and the other is the villa side (each with their own water sports equip), it connected by a strip with no water access. These two areas are still only 5 min. apart so nice and compact. The ocean was a nice 29-30 degrees warm and turquoisey with grassy patches beyond the sandy area. There is corals which separate the Villa and Brias side. Great breeze at the beach at all times make it a very comfortable and relaxing place. Lots of shade under lots of trees and lots of lounge chairs everywhere. The reef is about 200 meters out where the white and orange buoys are. Its about a 10 min swim out. The best reefs are to the right towards the fishing village. There is no snorkeling right off the beach as its all sand and then grass. You must swim out to the reef. Its swimable if you have fins or you can cheat by taking a paddleboat out or by walking out to the boat docks then swim out from there. The reef is directly in front of the dock about 200 metres out and extends to the right towards the fishing village. It may overwhelm some novice snorkelers as it seems far out but it really isnt. The reef is quite extensive and quite healthy. Lots of nice corals including sea fans. There a good number of fish but not an abundant amount/variety. Spotted a lonely barracuda & file fish, lots of large yellow snappers, some blue/yellow tangs, dottybacks, damsel fish, the odd squirrel fish, and quite a few wrasses. Look carefully and you may see the only yellow spotted moray eel I saw. The drinks and bars are good. Some pretty good premium liquor at the bar next to the Italian restaurant but only open at night. They hide a lot of them in cupboards or turn the label around so you dont see it. They push the local stuff. There is cognac!! (Couvuessier VSOP, Camus) Whiskey/Scotch (JW Red./Black, Jack Daniels, Jim Beam (they hide), Real Kahulua, Martini etc. Other bars are pretty much local stuff with exception of the Seafood a la carte restaurant bar. They serve drinks in the TINIEST plastic cups Ive ever seen (5-6 oz). Now come the worst part, the FOOD.To sum it up its pretty horrible. Lots of can foods. The Villa side in general is better in presentation and variety than the hotel side. It was low season so only one or the other was open for lunch or dinner. Breakfast was the only half-decent meal of the day. I guess how wrong can you get for eggs/cold cuts/fruits. There is no edible dessert at any meal whatsoever QUICK FOOD GUIDE: Good: "Ham"burgers, fries and pizza at the hotel/villa grill, omelets (a bit greasy), cold cuts, fruits, shrimps in wine sauce at the Villa Buffet Edible: Chicken (but often cold), salads Bad: Fish (hard and/or salty), rice (often hard as a rock), carrots (rubber), beans (wilted and old), soups tastless and gluey, ice cream is usually melted and some occasion watery, desserts Avoid: Blood sausage, Beef (like leather), pastas at buffet (mushy/over cooked and strange sauces). BUFFETS:Breakfast (Villa/Hotel) Regular fare everyday made to order omelets on some ancient burner very greasy!! The guy making the omelets is pretty slow and is more interested in grabbing a beer/drink at the bar and socializing with fellow workers. Other foods include bacon (somedays pretty sad looking all fat and tibits), sausages (stay away from the blood sausage I think it got recycled for the WHOLE week), cold cuts -ok, cheeses (sometimes dried up), pancakes, strange looking scrambled eggs, hard and dry breads (toast it), fruits (papaya, guava, pineapple, melons), freshly squeezed orange juice, stale cereals, watery yogurt. Lunch Buffets:For me not edible usually. Go to the Grill or to the Villa a la carte. Lunch Grills (Villa/Hotel Pool): Good "Ham" Burgers made with real Ham and crunchy fries. Pizzas are ok too. Dinner Buffets: All forgetable on the Hotel side (stay away from the roast beef) except for the night it was at the Villa side (It was Market night) this night had a grill with made to order with leather steak, pork/lamb chops, snapper, good paellas, a huge scary 3 ft fish, very good shrimps in wine sauce, ok stew beef and bbq chicken, and other items that resembled the Seafood a la carte menu.. A LA CARTES:Italian:Hockey puck bread, tiny shrimp cocktail with mayo, minestroni stew (not soup), salads nothing exciting, caneloni is ok, filet mignon is overcooked (surprise surprise) and not the most tender, prawns overcooked, ice cream is ice cream not gelato, good service. Seafood:Nice ambience, fruit cocktail, seafood pastry puff, salad nothing exciting, ½ lobster (overcooked and powdery), prawns were over cooked, cheesecake (mousse-like), cappuccino good. Lots of entertainment as the waiters all double as entertainers card tricks/jugglers/singing/flute players. The clientele is 40% Canadians, 40% Brits, 10% Germans and the odd locals. Lots of couples/larger groups of friends/and families there. Bring tons of $1US bills. This is the currency to deal with. Be careful as you get back tourist peso for change. Note: local pesos are different from tourist pesos. Tourist are not allowed to use local pesos. You can also bring things to barter with vendors instead of cash. CIGARS:Dont buy them off the street/beach or from a person who claims that their friend/brother works at a cigar factory. These are all fake!! So anyone offering you a box for $20US or $40US or even $70US for Cohibas the chances are they are counterfeits The only place you will find the real stuff is in a respectable store with a humidor. At the factory is not always the cheapest either. Watch out for workers/peoples standing outside/or even within the factory claiming they can sell you some at ½ the price.. These are usually different products repackaged for sucker tourist. They are scraps or rejects or even local products for local consumption. Watch out for broken seals and official stamps on the box as well as uniformity of the cigars. They should be of identical in colour/size/density and each label should line up perfectly and look identical!! No respectable place with sell you a box where the seal has been broken. Heres a good rule of thumb. Smaller cigars like Monte Cristos #4 are about $3 US each or about $75 a box of 25. For larger ones they will run about $5 US each or $125/box. This is as cheap as youll get them if you want the real things. Its still a fraction of what you pay for back home. If you want some for fun, buy local cheapies to bring home. I got these local Sectos (from Holguin) avail at any local Kiosk for 1 peso each or $1 US for 25 of them!! They are only 4 cents each. This is what locals smoke. They are not bad for fun. -of course not for serious smokers. Here's a few interesting facts I found out: Average income is $20US/month (people who work in hotels can make that much in tips in a few days most professional, even doctors, make less than hotel workers).Pension is $4US/month.Government allows $5US/kid/month.Slaughtering a cow is a criminal offence up to 4 years in prison (they are seen as valuable for farming & for their milk) . This is why all they eat is pork/chicken. Most products can only be purchased with US and not Cuban pesos with the exception of things like produce which are only avail from local vendors. (3 small watermelons cost 2 cuban pesos or 6 cents).Frozen Lobster tails 2lb cost only 75cents US each (I paid 2 for $3US).People walk for miles to go to work as public transportation is unpredictable (often not coming at all).A foreigner can not own property in Cuba.A foreigner is not allowed to enter a private vehicle even if it is a friend (must use taxis which are very expensive).Gas is about $5US / gallon.A car (classic ones) goes for about $5000 US to $10,000 US if in good condition. Most households have a color TV. Some have fridges (but often empty).Duty on import goods are 1:1 (so if you brought in $200 US of merchandise to give duty imposed is $200) Cubans are friendly but an invitation to their home is "often" not always, a set up for asking for money/items.Some beggers are professional and con artist esp the ones who harass tour buses when you go on excursions. So what can you do? Bring old clothes/shoes to give away (give to the ones who dont beg and/or the poorer village people as oppose to hotel workers). Bring toiletries such as soap/shampoo, pens, lipstick, make up (used or new all appreciated). Didnt do any excursion really off the resort beside the free one they have. And a quick hour horse carriage ride. The Indian Village is free. Sign up when you arrive at the same place as you do the a la carte. They go on Thursdays at about 6pm. You go on a tram that looks like a train. The tour had a John Lennon tribute before going to the village. Band playing JL songs/Pigeon release/Mojito drink (this wasted an hour). Then finally off wisking pretty fast on the roads. Id say the highlight was the trip going there. It was very scenic going thru the countryside and villages. Especially as you climb up the mountain passing beautiful Royal Palm groves on pot holed roads. The scary part is coming down at - pray for good brakes! The trip took almost 30 mins. to get up there. You are greeted by a ½ nude women at the front where they pain your face and give you a rum drink. You then sit down and have dinner. The dinner was actually good (better quality than the hotel food). It was avocado salad, fruit cocktail, soft bread, a plate of tasty bean rice, pork & cheese, plantain chips, and shredded cheese on a guava for dessert (strange). Drinks are included. The show was uneventful as they pass thru the huts. The end had a few ritual dances. You were back to the hotel by 9pm. The Horse Carriage Ride ($10 US / hr I bargain him to $4US).They take you to the nearby fishing village then another village (lots of banana plantations) then to the town of Sepsa and then by some sugar fields then back to the public beach area/market and then back to the hotel. Definitely work the $$. You could also do this by taking a mountain bike out. I did this a few time before hand to give away some of the stuff I brought. Venturing off to the Public Beach.Follow the boardwalk pass Club Amigo Resort to get to Guadalavaca Beach. Here you can see the real locals beaching and pinicing. There is a small market up the stairs to buy souvenirs. Nothing worth buying for me. Note you can bring stuff to barter with them if you dont want to use $$$. There are beach parties at night here also if you want something different or want to mix with some locals. Venturing off by Bike (free).You can take one of the bikes to check out nearby villages or the countryside. Note it is very hot out there so take water. Make sure the brakes work!! And that the bikes wheels arent too warped. To summarize the facilities are great especially given the price I paid. However, I would not recommend this place if food is important to you. This is why I would not return here or maybe back to Cuba. I still did enjoy the resort despite this one major downfall. Resort is 4 Stars but food is 2 Stars. If you have any question you can contact me at [email protected]om"

• Travel date: Mon 15th of September 2003

Fantastic Holiday second time around !

"Brisas Guardalavaca was wonderful AGAIN !
We have just returned from two glorious weeks at this Hotel, our second visit. We took our 27 year son, as he is emigrating to NZ in a few weeks so it was great to spend some quality time with him before he goes. Also my Mum and her sister who are in their 70,s and two very lovely friends. We had a blast. We had a villa in block 5 which was huge and exceptionally clean .We had a view of the villa pools and a huge cheese plant growing up past the balcony which hide some of the view, but it kept the area cool and secluded which was lovely. The house keeping was excellent, room cleaned every day, fresh towels when requested, and clean sheets, bed was very comfortable and pillows were good. Coffee making facilities in the room, just ask at the bar for a cup of milk every day. Lovely hot water enough for a bath and plenty for showering. Food we thought has improved this year, the main restaurant was great loads of choice, and the Al a cart restaurants were very good all of them, with more choices for each course. The waiting staff were amazing and very attentive, we could not find any fault with any staff, they were all polite,courteous, and friendly from the gardeners, the people that cleaned the beach, the lifeguards,reception,waiters, everybody. We booked a couple of trips, one with TC for the steam train ride, this was great, seeing the countryside of CUBA, a fab meal at a posh Hotel in Gibera and a show. The other trip we hired two Old American cars via one of the lifeguards on the beach. The cars were driven by two brothers who were great very safe drivers, the cars were amazing, loved it. They took us to some lovely places for photos, and also into Holguin to a friends restaurant, where I had traditional Cuban food which was fantastic. A lovely day I would recommend this. We booked to renew our vows on the beach on our 30th anniversary, this was a fantastic day. Katerine helped us first as Yonania wasn't there when we arrived, she was so good, she arranged the Cuban band, the flowers and the meal in the evening. We arranged for 4pm. The lady from public relations came to the room to collect me, and walked me to the beach gazebo. The gardeners had decorated it with flowers and and heart on the sand made of flowers. My son walked me up the aisle. We had our vows translated by Yonania and we signed the certificate, loads of photos by the photographer and other people, meal in the Cuban restaurant , with a table made up for us all. Champagne from the maid, a huge plate of fresh fruit and breakfast in bed the following morning. My son had books the special meal on the beach for us it was fab, very romantic we had the week before, worth the money. My mum and her sister enjoyed walking to the market on their own, felt very safe. They loved the staff at the Hotel, they couldn't do enough for them. Mum had an infection in her toe while we were there and the Hotel Nurse was so good, she got antibiotics and kept and eye mums foot every couple of days. Our son enjoyed the chill out factor the free water sports etc and the snorkeling. All in all a fabulous time again, glad we were able to introduce the family to this fab Hotel, we met some lovely people there.
Special thanks to the following, Yoania, Katerine, Louis ,Vladimir, Roger,Emillio,Olga ( who looked after the oldies in the restaurant ), Daniel TC rep, too many to name.
Thanks to Bob for taking pics at our vow renewal, and Hayley and Rob for joining us.
We will be returning again, we love Brisas.........."

• Travel date: Sun 29th of March 2015

great place

Mikey's Limos

Just returned from Brisas 27/12/13 to 11/1/14 had a fantastic time staff very helpful and friendly they can't do enough for you we was put in the villas 5002 and 5005 very clean and plenty of storage space one over looking the villa pool the other over looking the sea both fantastic views all the restaurants and al a carts are all clean the food not brill but there is plenty of choice you will never go hungry remember you are in Cuba and not at Blackpool if you want English food stay at home loved every minute and will defiantly go back again met some really nice people Cuban Canadian and English everybody gets on really well some people go on holiday just to moan and complain just to get some money back just go with a open mind and enjoy your self you wont be disappointed see you soon Brisas team and thank you well done to you all — with Mikey Grinhaff and 2 others.

Mikey's Limos's photo."

• Travel date: Mon 13th of January 2014

Hotels near Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel

Stayed at Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel

• helen peterborough by helen peterborough

"Be prepared for a lovely location right on the beach. "

• bad.hound by bad.hound

"Try all of the a la Carte restuarants including those doing the lunch and breakfast menu - makes a great change from the Buffet. "

• Jayne B by Jayne B

"Just go with the flow "

• taderdick by taderdick

"patio restaurant. inside cuba trip "

Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel is also called