About Tryp Habana Libre

• french amenities
  • ironing service
  • shops amenities
  • snack bar
  • sun loungers beach chairs
  • rooftop bar
  • kid friendly buffet
  • gift shop amenities
  • nightclub dj
  • spanish amenities
  • paid internet
  • special diet menus
  • paid private parking on site
  • convenience store
  • tv other russia

Good

First of all, this is Cuba which is rate...

Reviewed Sun 15th of June 2008

"First of all, this is Cuba which is rated as a third world country so don't expect the same experience as so called '1st world' and don't judge or compare Cuba with Western countries. It is a fabulous place. The Havana Libra was a very good hotel, very comfortable and the staff were excellent. It is well located and from our 12th floor room we had excellent views all the way to the harbour. Food and service was very good both in the Buffet and in the Restaurant. Taxi's were available right outside the reception area of the hotel.
The one gripe we had was checkout time when some of the six lifts weren't working and the ones that did were full. After about 15 minutes one of the room maids took pity on us and took us 'round to the service lift. "

• Travel date: Sun 15th of June 2008

discusting

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"Filthy, Smelly, Musty, stains on carpets in fact on all fabric. I am in the Hotel industry and have been to a range of hotels, for a 5 star in Cuba I expected a possible 3 other guests said to me when I asked them `baths toilets lights etc were broken but they fixed them quite quickly'. I would like to have seen their homes if they found this acceptable they must be living in kips
The Havana Libre ruined our holiday the final straw (pardon the pun!) was a chewed straw put in my drink, bar staff were rude and reception staff were as bad. they changed our room to one less smelly but thought we were the ones with the problem. please take my advice do not stay here there are lovely hotels in Havana"

• Travel date: Thu 24th of August 2006

Fine Central Hotel with Amazing Views

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"The best asset of the Habana Libre is its location right on La Rampa in Vedado district. It’s just across the road from the gorgeous open-air Copellia ice cream parlour and is surrounded by other interesting shops.

The small artesanía handcraft market a little further down La Rampa is better value for souvenirs than its larger cousin near the cathedral in Old Havana. There are also often activities taking place at the pabellon which is also on La Rampa. It’s also only a $3 or $4 taxi ride or a longish walk to get to the attractions of Centro Habana and Habana Vieja.

The hotel itself has a beautiful lobby with fountains and is well-serviced by various bars and restaurants, including a 24 hr café which is also open to the public. The rooms are clean, large and comfortable, although it’s true that the furnishings are sometimes a little faded. The view from the balcony is amazing. The Habana Libre was the tallest building in Latin America when it was completed in 1958 and the view over Havana and the sea is breathtaking.

The pool was fine – cleaned every morning, served by an outside bar and quite popular with swimmers. The children enjoyed it very much. One small gripe was the opening hours are only 10am-6pm and it might have been nice to have a swim a bit later after returning from a sweaty day of sightseeing!

The food was excellent – a tremendous range at the enormous buffet. There really was something for everyone, including freshly cooked omelettes and many varieties of delicious fresh tropical fruit such as mango, guava, melon and pineapple. We found the staff friendly, helpful and efficient.

I would definitely return to the Habana Libre – it’s ideally situated, has great views and a breakfast that is enough to fill you up all day!

Highly recommended."

• Travel date: Thu 27th of July 2006

Fly from the Habana Libre

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"Having been to Havana many times I thought a change of hotel was the answer,liked the National Hotel but had money stolen from the safe so checked this site for the Habana Libre, I read the reviews and thought it cant be as bad as that so I booked for 14 days, boy was I wrong. When we arrived the air conditoning had packed up two days beforehand and they did not know when it was going to be sorted, this was the whole hotel and not just the rooms and at 34 degrees it was hot.The room was large and on the 18th floor, unfortuately previous reports were correct, painted baths which were peeling off,facings round the doors had gone about 8in from the floor with rot and left the nails sticking out, chrome worn off all fitments and turning green, balcony had large crackes in the concrete and did not look safe to walk on, then we come to the resturant,finding a plate was a nightmare and if you did you held on to it for some fruit, the should be hot food was cold and there was only one salt and pepper in the whole resturant AND THE FLIES, it was a fight to see who could eat the most.Staff were very highly gestapo trained and the only one to speak to us was the bellboy who delivered the cases to our room saying "You give me shirt". Ambulances there every day taking away heat stroke victims. Only lasted three day there but have spent the last 14 days in the toilet and still running.Those blasted flies.Dont be like me, listen to the reports on this site."

• Travel date: Sat 1st of July 2006

Great Hotel!!!!

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"Ive just come back from a three night stay at this hotel and would definately represent it!!! the rooms were massive and very comfy.

its located near the middle of the city allowing you to experience the real cuban way of living. one one small negative factor was that we only say the maid on the first day however due to our short stay it wasnt a problem for us. the staff here know english but maybe not as much as other tourist areas.

We had bed and breakfast and the buffet bar was great, there was loads to choose from and it was very clean.

i would definately stay here again!!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 24th of June 2006

Surreal experience...

Reviewed Tue 16th of October 2012

"The Havana Libre once was a great structure. Recently taken over by Tryp it has improved (!!) but some BIG problems remain.... i.e. it is ROACH INFESTED. I could not turn the lights off in my room without seeing any, and even when I did they were crawling on the walls. NO EXAGGERATION. When I called the front desk (I was told "we're in the Caribbean, what do you expect?')
Physically the hotel is a wreck... maybe things have improved but don't expect luxury in Havana- the city itself is delightful.
One positive element- the views were incredible. I often found myself looking more outside than in :-)
Find another place to stay!"

• Travel date: Sat 17th of June 2006

Fair Hotel - Good value for money

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"I just got back from a trip to Cuba (03/06 to 12/06) I stayed in Tryp Habana Livre.
It´s situated in Vedado, a busy (not such as Old Havana) part of town, very near from the Malecon and University of Havana.
It´s a 25 story building from the 70´s (i think), the hotel loby has many space and simple but functional furniture.
I stayed at 17 floor, with a excellent veaw of the sea and part of town. It´s a large room with 2 twin beds, functional and pratical decoration (empty mini bar...), no luxuries. but it´s a clean place. Good bathroom.
The pool area is nice but crowded in the aftermoon´s. The brakfirst is served in a large ballrom, with very good variety and quality of fresh foods. The disco has magnificent veaws (25 floors) fair decoration, but the music is depressing, crowded at 23H, no one was dancing, and Kenny Rogers has playing (please...).
They have a 24h cafeteria, with pizzas and fast-food, nice, with space, and good icecream (hard to find!), We went about mide-night and there here some suspicius cuban girls inside... (during the day it´s quite nice)
´The staff is Friendly but shy (afraid?)
I recomend this hotel. (mail me for questions)"

• Travel date: Fri 16th of June 2006

Very Spacious rooms, great views of the famous city!

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"I stayed for 3 nights at the Habana Libre as part of a twin centred holiday that I booked through the Holiday place.

The hotel is in the Vedado region of Havana which is quite a good spot for getting around the Place.

The hotel is high rise which I don't normally go for however it proves be of great advantage in Havana with spectacular views you can get accross the city from these very spacious rooms."

• Travel date: Thu 15th of June 2006

Great views and good location

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"I stayed at the HABANA LIBRE for 2 nights.
It has very large rooms which over look the city or the Sea, a lively night club and a resturant which has a brilliant view of the City.
It is located in the Vedado area of Havana which means you can reach all the main areas in Havana like the "Old town" fairly easily..
I would stay there again if I decide to go back to Havana, which I may do in the future, again as a holiday combined with the Beach, possibly Varadero next time as I stayed at Guardalavaca the last time and throughley enjoyed it."

• Travel date: Tue 30th of May 2006

Average - but probably Havana standard

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"We staid for a week - not deliberately, as our travel agency changed our original reservation without notice (beware of "semana santa" in early april - Cuban hotels often don't care about reservations and overbook - at least Thomas Cook gave us 110 Euros compensation).
Rooms are large, however furniture is damaged and dirty. The excellent view (ask for upper floors and seaside!) made up for at least some of that. The breakfast buffet was quite poor (concerning service and quality). Pool was oK - we appreciated the refreshing brake after long and dirty sightseeing trips. Concerning sightseeing, of course a hotel in old havana would be better (Taxi to old havana 5 minutes, 3 CUC).

However, staying in Havana and Cuba for a month, we have to admit retrospectively that the Havana libre might be at least an average deal for local standards. Consider staying at a "casa particular" (private houses), that most times offer better food and acommodation than hotels!"

• Travel date: Fri 28th of April 2006

Like a student hostel

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"The location, the roof bar and the pool facilities are ok. Beware of the buffet restaurant especialy at lunch and dinner because of the smell. The rooms are big but not clean.
You can stay there if you catch a deal but not worth for paying much money.
Great wiev if you stay at the upper floors."

• Travel date: Wed 12th of April 2006

Very eventful few days at the Habana Lib...

Reviewed Tue 1st of February 2005

"Very eventful few days at the Habana Libre.

Plus points wonderful View from the 22nd Floor of the hotel.

Dining room had show cooking at Breakfast . get there early, and everything you could want is great go late at your peril. Finding a clear table is the mystery!

Downside. Numerous.

The staff see every client as an easy buck and just can’t help themselves from trying to rip you off.

Check the menu prices with the bill , I did and many times in most of the restaurants had to send the bill back to be changed. The final night of the stay, I decided to try the only restaurant I had not been in during the stay which was adjacent to Reception and had to send the bill back THREE times to have it altered from from 42cus to the correct price of 28.5 cus. This is rather blatant and cannot all be BAD STAFF TRAINING.

The Cleaners doing the rooms spend much of the shift talking to each other and forget to Hoover the rooms but, the beds were made every day and the little folds were put on the toilet paper even if the bath had not been washed out.

Havana itself is a very polluted place, and not for anyone with breathing disorders or asthmatic problems this is due to the many old vehicles running on 2* petrol and many with only half an exhaust.

This seems quite a safe place and this I would only attribute to the heavy Police presence everywhere.

If you do visit, a couple of days is enough in Havana, and get to the cleaner air of the Islands (Cayos) for the rest.

Havana Airport is almost as fast as MOSCOW and, so are the staff so, get there early.

We arrived three hours early, and waited in the departure lounge only 5 minutes before boarding as the rest of the time was spent queuing.

Sorry forgot to tell you saw a young black pickpocket on arrival at the Airport who was talking to a young backpacker and going through her pockets on her backpack at the same time. When he saw he was being witnessed, he smiled and just patted the pack."

• Travel date: Tue 1st of February 2005