The most horrible overprized hotel I have ever stayed at

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"The Hotel Nacional is a beautiful construction from the fifties, but that is it. Rooms are way too small, moldy and the is not hot water at night. Staff members are among the world's unhappiest and ruddest. Defenitely not service oriented at all. My overall experience after spending 5 days and having changed rooms three times, could be catallogued as terrible"

• Travel date: Mon 29th of November 2004

The most stylish hotel in Havana

Good
Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"Stayed in the Nacional for 3 nights 23 - 25 Oct 2004, as part of a 2 centre holiday.

The exterior is impressive and the lobby is very grand . the rooms are a little faded but spacious but bathroom was clean (anyway you won't spend much time in your room).The location on the sea is great and a taxi ride to the centre of old Havana about $4 or a 40min walk if you want to walk along the sea front

Food - We ate in the restaurant next to the lobby and the food was extremely good , the best meal I had in Cuba (and we stayed at the Paradisis Rio de Oro - see other reviews , which had good food)
, I'd recommend the lamb We also had lunch in the outside restaurant in the grounds on our last day , which was also good (and very good value $11 each). We had breakfast , which was fine but sometimes quite busy.

Drinks - the cocktails are great here and the service friendly , probably best Mojito's around and nice grounds to sit outside and drink in. Prices
very reasonable at $3-4 a cocktail.

Service - had no problems checking in, and they were more than happy to securely store our bags for 7 hours on the day of our departure.

In summary - this is a great hotel , probably the best in Havana of the ones we saw (and from talking to other people). Yes, the rooms are not European 5 star, but don't take the negative comments on some reviews too seriously, they are in my opinion, small points and the overall ambience of the place means you won't be disappointed"

• Travel date: Sun 7th of November 2004

Don't be fooled by the 5 star tag

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"I stayed at the Nacional as part of a two centre holiday with a beach resort, we had the choice of staying at a few in the city but chose this one based upon its monumental status, character and 5 star rating. I was quite overawed buy the forecourt, ornate reception area and porters in there crisp white tunics but departed feeling resentful three days later. To start with every member of staff I came into contact with was both miserable and downright rude, most also want tipping for doing very little. The room small and below average, comprising of crumbling paintwork, mould and a leak from the ceiling just above the toilet. The crowning moment each day was the breakfast which bore more resembled to a battleground - Here we found there were too few staff, tables, cutlery, food and coffee and too many guests - aggression took over and depression set in. In summary I think the Nacional should be rated a 2 star plus at best and could learn a lot from travel lodges throughout the world."

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of November 2004