Hotel Inglaterra

Prado No 416 esq San Rafael. Habana Vieja., Havana 10100 Cuba

Most interesting breakfasts

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"I found the staff very friendly, as when we were checking in a quick wink and a touch of banter meant we were give n a delightful room with 2 balconies.

Breakfasts were an experience that everyone has to try, from cold spaghetti to meatballs to fruit. The service I thought was very good, as being English I do not enjoy being hassled by staff that are over eager to be tipped.

The location I believe was second to none, and the music that others have complained about, was one of our main reasons to visit Cuba in the first place.

One word of warning however, make sure that you request a room with a balcony when booking, or else you may find yourself staying in an internal room with no window!!!!!"

• Travel date: Fri 26th of October 2007

Decent Hotel, Great Location, Very Historic

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"Ok, so it's not the most plush hotel that you could ever imagine to stay in, but be fair you are staying in old town Havana and the Inglaterra was built in the 19th Century and for that reason is very charming - how often would you get to stay in a national monument on a package holiday?

Our room was clean enough, although it would be good in the warm climate if the sheets could be changed more often and the maids were great - every time we came back the sheets or towels were in a crazy design - swans or hearts! The bathroom was fine too - clean and a good shower. Some would say that it was noisy, but if you like to hear real Cuba music concerts piped into your room for free to really help create an atmosphere - I think it's a added bonus rather than a negative and I can honestly say that after a couple of mojitos I doubt many would struggle to fall asleep even with the Cuban nightlife continuing outside.

The staff are somewhat aloof - not your usual in your face types continually asking if you are ok - i.e. if you want extra coffee at breakfast you generally have to ask for it, but it is provided quickly.

Other reviews on here don't seem to rate the breakfast, but I for one found it one of my favourite parts of the stay - the scrambled eggs were tasty and served with potato croquettes and frankfurter, there was also a nice potato or pasta salad served with devilled eggs and meatballs that I thought were pretty tasty. There was also a selection of fruit - guava, orange, grapefruit, papaya (although be careful this word can be considered rude if said in Cuba - call it Fruta Bomba instead!), bananas and pineapple. There are some gorgeous pancakes made every day and sweet cuban rolls/cakes. You can also help yourself to juice and yoghurt and milk (which in most of Cuba seemed to be evaporated). We tended to stock up at Breakfast and then have a late snack for lunch at about 3/4pm before a decent dinner in the evenings.

The terrace bar was good fun, although when it tips it down with rain it's a bit exposed! The bar at the front is good too as the doormen keep you from being hassled by beggars and the band are pretty good, if a little persistent at requesting tips! They have a fair few 24 hour services - currency exchange, bar, room service - although the kitchen closes at 10pm

I think that you would be hard pushed to find a better location - we only took taxis about twice the whole time we were there, although they are cheap so it would be more than easy to stay a little further out.

The Inglaterra is also very beautiful inside and even if you don't stay, I would recommend grabbing a drink at the Terrace bar and taking a look inside at the Moorish inspired architecture.

Overall I would say it's one of the better places that I have stayed in and I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Havana."

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of October 2007

Terrible!!!

Reviewed Tue 16th of October 2012

"We arrived at the hotel Inglaterra expecting great things....we were wrong! First of all they had no reference of our booking and there was no duty manager available to deal with it. We ended up having to pay AGAIN with the promise of a refund once things had been sorted!! We finally got rooms at the front of the hotel that looked out onto Parque Central and we were assured that we had the "best rooms"!. Well....the rooms were dimly lit and the showers were mouldy and had tiles missing, the Curtains were hanging off and when you used the "cold Shower" the water went everywhere exept on you, it was also broken so you had to hold it! My wife wanted an Iron to prepare her clothes for a night out in habana.........they hotel told us they did not have an Iron! Breakfast the following morning consisted of Soggy Scrambled eggs, Tiny hard cakes and pastries (with Flies), sliced fruit (with more Flies!) and some Meatballs that were harder and drier than the skin on my grandmothers Feet! Stay here if you want to take Nostalgic photos in the lobby, do not stay here if you want a comfortable refuge from the heat of habana. We had stayed with a family over in Vedado for one night in a "Pension Particulares", the food was better, the room was better and the cost was 30 CUCs per night, i only wish we had stayed there for the whole duration! Honestly, dont bother staying at the Hotel Inglaterra, it was a 2 star Nightmare!"

• Travel date: Wed 13th of June 2007

This is Havanna!

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"This is Cuba, and for people who have not been to middle or south America before, it is a shock! The Hotel is certainly not a 4 star european standard, but central. A nostalgic hotel with a strong whiff of the "good times" long since gone. The rooms are adequate. They are badly lit, and certainly dated, with the curtains hanging off the walls, the whole giving a pre-revolution feeling, but clean. Breakfast was good, personnal ok. The outside cafe is always full, and has live music. There is a good internet room, and the downstairs toilets have been recently renewed, and are definitely clean. There is music and dancing on the roof terrace at night. A good location for old Havanna, but don't expect too much then you won't be disappointed.

Christine"

• Travel date: Tue 27th of March 2007

Never got the chance...

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"Despite having a reservation which clearly stated "guaranteed confirmed" on it, when we arrived at the Hotel Inglaterra, we were told they had never heard of us and they were full. It was also a Sunday so nobody could be found to abuse about it.

Welcome to Cuba, indeed. I've given it a neutral rating as we never got the chance to find out..."

• Travel date: Tue 20th of February 2007

Hotel Angelterra

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"Having stayed in the Hotel Angelterra recently, whilst it is a wee bit old fashioned - every thing was clean, the Buffet Breakfast in the morning excellent. The Terrace outside - just the place to sit and relax and have drink and watch the World go by.
Tipping is so appreciated, but do it very very descreetly - the average wage is $10 a month - yes $10 a month."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of November 2006

Not Bad, Not Great

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights on my very first trip to Cuba. Due to the US embargo, Cuban hotels can't be booked from American travel sites so I ended up booking it through Wired Destinations, based in Thailand. I paid $74 US per night with all taxes and fees included. I would recommend this agency as the quickest and most hassle free method for Americans to book Cuban Hotels.

The location is fantastic. Only steps from Old Havana and the capitol building. The Malecon can be reached in less than 10 minutes walk. And by cutting through delapitated Centro Habana, Vedado can be reached in a half hours walk. I only used taxis rarely, mainly at night or when I was dead tired.

The exterior and first floor of the hotel is absolutely beautiful, but things go downhill fast when you go upstairs. My room was a double on the 2nd floor. I was brought to an odd angle shaped room. It was pretty clean, but the firniture was very dated. Definately pre-revolution.The only modern appliance was the TV (satellite with all American stations) The small airconditoning unit mounted on the large wooden doors leading out to the miniscule balcony looked like it belonged in an antiques museum, but it performed reasonably well considering the blistering heat. Tiled floors throughout the room. Bathroom was actually quite large, but I had the same experience with the sink only loosely mounted to the wall. It looked as if the whole thing would crash down any minute. Large shower with adequate water pressure. You can clearly see that there used to be a very large room where a whole corner of the room had obviously been walled off and made into a bathroom. Thus the awkward angle shaped room. Overall I would say the room is clean but hardly a luxury room. Also it was always very poorly lit.

Breakfast is something to be seen to be believed. Great coffee but breakfast consisted of deviled eggs, something that looked like little breaded and fried sausages, plain spaghetti, a few old pastries and bananas that were half black. Dinner was better but somewhat expensive, and with lots of live entertainment on the patio outside the front of the hotel.

All things considered, this hotel really isn't bad. but it is definately NOT a 4 star hotel by any standard. You just have to remember that you are in Cuba and that even in these mediocre lodgings, you are living like a king compared to how the Cubans live in this totalitarian dictatorship."

• Travel date: Fri 29th of September 2006

mixed bag

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"My husband and i stayed at this hotel for 4 nights.
PROS:
1. location: you cant ask for a more central location: we literally walked to all the sights!
2. one of the few decent hotels in Havana

CONS:
1. we paid a high price because the hotel website grades it as 4 star. In terms of my own assessment, comparing it with other hotels, its probably 2 star.
2. all the rooms are different so review a few before choosing, we cheked out 4. our top choice was a room with no natural light and no window simply because it was clean. the room that we had been checked into initially had an amazing balcony with a great view but was infested with insects.

its decent overall, but poor value for money.
note however that to have a nice place to stay in Havana costs a small fortune. we went to see Hotel Nacional and the NH while there, both are superb and if you can afford to ,rather stay at the NH because it is in the same central location."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of September 2006

Great location, but beware......

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"I stayed at this hotel 25th-27th August 2006 with my girlfriend.

The location of the hotel is fantastic - right on the edge of the old town, within walking distance of the Museum of the Revolution, Plaza Vieja/Plaza de Armas etc, and a stones throw away from La Floridita - the bar/restaurant where Hemingway invented the daquiri! The architecture of the hotel is fantastic - having been built in the mid-late 1800's.

Our room was at the front of the building on the 2nd floor - this had great views, but the noise from the busy road late at night was a nuisance, since it doesn't quieten down until the early hours and starts again early morning!

We paid around £40/night, which wasn't too bad. The rooms are tired looking, although clean enough, but the bathroom needed attention - the basin was not secured properly to the wall, and the taps were not secured properly to the basin - I thought the whole thing would come crashing down each time I brushed my teeth! It had two double beds, we didn't use one, so I guess value for money it was OK. The room was cleaned each day. There was a fridge/minibar in the room, which was very reasonably priced - bottled mineral water at $1.25 and Cristal beer at $2. The 'air conditioning' unit in the corner of the room didn't seem that effective, just blowing out cold air, but it was scorchingly hot so maybe it was just struggling to keep up with the very high temperature.

Breakfast is awful - don't bother, unless you like cake, cold meatballs, biscuits, cold pasta and the odd bit of fruit! Alternatively if you just want to get coffee it's OK! The meal in the evening was adequate. We had a few drinks in the bar - again, the Bucanero beer is reasonably priced for a 4* hotel ($2) and Mohito's at $3 were very good (according to my girlfriend!).

The terrace bar at the front of the building is nice enough, but you may get thirsty waiting for the waiter to serve you your second cristal beer after drinking your first.

Summary : great location, but don't expect too much. Not too sure about the 4* rating."

• Travel date: Mon 28th of August 2006

Nice to look at, but don't stay here

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"We stayed here from April 29 - May 2, 2006 and booked it because of its location and history. Worth looking at the impressive exterior and inside lobby, and perhaps have a drink on the terrace (although you'll get more comfortable seats and better service at the Cafe next door or the Hotel Telegrafo next to that). However the rooms are very poor value for money - we paid £80 a night. We had one of the side rooms with small balcony - spacious but very dark and with few lights; run down, peeling paintwork, bathroom simk coming off the wall, insufficient hot water pressure to have a hot shower. No charm once you've left the ground floor. Breakfast was adequate, buffet style, not replenished often enough and with too many flies feasting on it.

Earlier in our trip we stayed in the Vedado area at Hotel St John's - £30 a night for the room, would say standard was higher than the Inglaterra and breakfast was much better. Iit's only 3 or 4 CUC for a taxi to the old town, there's lots to see around Vedado too and it's much less touristy. I would recommend staying there or if you have the money you must be able to find better value than the Inglaterra in Havana Central or Vieja."

• Travel date: Fri 19th of May 2006

Fantastic place, full of colour noise an...

Reviewed Wed 30th of June 2004

"Fantastic place, full of colour noise and atmosphere. You could spend month’s in this city and still find things to do, great people, great weather, the accommodation is superb.

Only one down side the food is not great, and it can get expensive. The Hotel Ingleterra is excellent, great location right in the centre of the city, and the rooms and clean and well maintained.

• Travel date: Wed 30th of June 2004

Hotels near Hotel Inglaterra

Stayed at Hotel Inglaterra? Share your insight.

Hotel Inglaterra is also called