Terrible Resort

Reviewed 8 months ago

"This is the worst resort ever stayed in.
The rooms are so dated and tacky ,but clean.
The food is awful,got a bad stomach for days after eating fish in buffet bar.
The staff are nice ,but to say it’s 4 star is a complete joke.
I stayed over Xmas 18/19 for 14 days and very first day checking in people were requesting a move to other resort.
Wish I had.
The beach was not that nice and full of seaweed.
Also I got hit by a ski kite whilst walking on the beach as Canadians are ruining the beach with this activity and don’t stay in their designated area.
Never visit this resort again as last time stayed in the Pestana in cayo coco and it was superb,great rooms,
Lovely food , great shows and no crazy Canadians kite skiing on the beach ."

• Travel date: Sat 1st of December 2018

Great Holiday

Reviewed Mon 9th of January 2012

"This was our first hot holiday abroad as a family.(Two adults and 9 year old boy).
We all had a really great time and we found most of the staff very friendly and all helpful.
The resort facilities were as expected and we enjoyed the opportunity to use the kayaks and pedalos several times on the sea. The entertainment staff were brilliant giving quite amazing shows in the evening.
Luckily my son could entertain himself quite well throughout the day as he found the kids club was aimed for the younger child and he wasn't allowed to join in the games around the pool or beach as they were for adults only. (Although some of the entertainment staff played with him at some stage of the day).
The food was ok but a little cold at times and the second week was not as good as the first. It did get a little boring too.
The room was fine and bigger than what we expected and it was always kept clean by the staff.
The beach was great and was cleaned of seaweed every day. It was a very safe sea and beach especially for children.

The whole resort was good and there was more there than what we expected. It was safe for my son to wonder around and we would go back again. Great holiday with fond memories."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of January 2012

Holiday from Hell!

Reviewed Tue 5th of July 2011

"I have just got back from this hotel and I really wish I hadn't gone at all. We went there for somebody's wedding, which was a joke, I would not recommend getting married there!! We had over 20 people in our group and all of us suffered from stomach upsets throughout our entire stay, some of us spent more time on the toilet than on the beach! It was reported to the staff who could not care less and the hotel doctor was useless. Hygiene was very poor, rooms were shabby and dirty, food was surrounded by flies, and there were often dead crabs in the pool! The beach is not what you imagine a carribbean beach to look like, it could have been anywhere in europe. The food was pretty awful and to be honest, we were all too scared to eat it as it just made us ill! If you want to lose weight this is the holiday for you!! The island is an hours coach drive from the mainland and 7 hours from Havana! There is absolutely nothing to do on the island except pedalos and snorkling. The only positive about the hotel was the staff, who were all very hard working and friendly. The hotel needs a lot of money spending on it and a deep clean! I have been on a few bad holidays, but this has to top the lot, it is definately not a 4* ! I would find somewhere else in the carribbean to stay, the Bahamas perhaps?"

• Travel date: Thu 30th of June 2011

First time in the caribbean...

Reviewed Wed 27th of April 2011

"Overall a brilliant holiday for myself and my family.
The hotel was as expected but we were dissapointed with the rooms, they badly needed a re-furb and were very battered and tired looking.
The food was excellent with an amazing variety morning noon and evening.
Nothing was too much trouble for the bar staff, as long as tips were involved ( 1 peso did it we found) from this you got better service.
the Mosquitos were a NIGHTMARE ! i suffered a severe reaction to some bites ( even after using repellent ) and had to visit the doctor for a week, he was however, fantastic.
Kids club was brilliant for my 9 yr old but my 13 yr was a little bored at times as there werent many girls her own age ( took the week before the school hols ).
Overall had a brilliant time."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of April 2011

Had a great time!

Reviewed Wed 4th of August 2010

"We just returned from this hotel. We had a great holiday. Yes the food can be a little basic, but you can usually find something to eat (Myself and my son are fussy eaters and we both ate well). The beach is beautiful and I can also recomend a visit to near by Pillar beach, 5 CUC peso per person for transport. It's beautiful! The staff are very friendly especially Walter the show cooking meat chef. The Thomas Cook flight were great, I would say the best flight I have ever had. Much better than Virgin!

The only down side was the Mosquitoes, they were very bad. I got loads of bites. Make sure you take loads of repellent. I used it but still got bitten.

I would still recomend this hotel and location, but would have liked to have been more prepared for the Mosquitoes. We needed to visit the Doctor while we were there, he was great. Located inside the hotel. While we were on the outward flight we realised my son had an ear infection which had been contracted in the UK. The Doctor was fantastic with him and the price was good too."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of July 2010

amazing!!!

Reviewed Mon 8th of November 2010

"This hotel was beautifull,and to make it even better my husband and i got married there.The service was great and getting married on the beach to the man of my dreams was the most perfect experiance ever!!!! we want to go back for our yr anniversary.. "

• Travel date: Fri 19th of March 2010

Never again!

Reviewed Mon 22nd of February 2010

"We have visited the Carribean many times. Thomas Cook rated this All Inclusive hotel as a 4-5 * and I would have classed it as as 2*. Water sports were advertised in the mag, I saw 1 person on a pedal boat does that count?....hehehehehehe it was below any expectaion on that front. The beach was filthy with ciggarettes and seaweed and not suitable to take children on, it certainly needed a clean daily. Staff begged and begged for tips infact 1 chef refused to cook pasta for guests unless given 1 Peso (how rude)

We informed our chambermaid that our bedding was dirty but she did not change this for 2 weeks until we insisted it was changed as I found her in another room and took my bedding with me and explained it was full of sand. None of the rooms have double beds so my husband and I had to push 2x single beds together, the floor was also rarely swept and we had a build up of bugs around the corners. It was disgusting.

A mini bar is advertised but what you get is a small noisy old run down dirty fridge with 2x cans of lemonade, 2 cans of beer and every other day they put one bottle of water in it.

The hairdryers in the bathroom look like they are from the 70s, they blow out heat but no air, if you care about your appearance pack a hairdryer.

We were informed the Mexican restaurant was the best but it was very basic, as I am a strict vegetarian we asked a waiter about ingredients of a certain mexican bean dish to be informed they do not know the ingredients as it was from Europe and came from a bottle. I couldnt quite believe that Mexico is on their doorstep yet they get supplies FROM EUROPE and its made already in a bottle! The Italian everyone complained about and my husband and I and baby suffered with 'icky' tummy afterwards. I had food poisoning whilst at this resort to add to this.

Childrens food options - PIZZA and CHIPS (if they dont like pizza and chips thats your lot)

Over all this Hotel needs a HUGE cash injection, the personal touch is not there, it is very very basic and the food is samey. Do not expect exotic fruits whatsoever as they rely on supplies being brought in from Cuba so can only offer Pineapple, Mango, Papaya and bananna, anything else - forget it! amazingly so not one dish offered coconut and they were growing everywhere....heheeheeeheeee.

In my personal opinion save your money and go to Jamaica or even the Dominican. I was pleased to visit Cuba before the Yanks spoil it all but shall not return nor recommend."

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of February 2010

it was the best!!1

Reviewed Wed 23rd of September 2009

"Oh my god! iberostar in cayo guillermo is the best holiday i could ever wish for. I am going again next year it was that amazing :) the people there that work there are so nice we talked and danced with all of them. I am only 13 and we went for my uncles wedding and i had the time of my life. We went on the horse riding trip and it was so goood! i could litterally get on a plane now and go. Seriously if you are looking for somewhere to go, then go there. Its the best! and i only have one more thing to say: "the shows are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" "

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of September 2009

dont go

Reviewed Sat 24th of January 2009

"I HAVE just got one thing to say about this hotel and thats dont wast your money the hotel is in the middel of nowere and trips are well over priced for two to go to havana over night it will cost you around 600 pounds and to hire a car 75 pounds a day the food is edable just the rooms are not cleaned right we were given towels that had been used by other people and had excretion on them every one on the complex was getting biten by bed bugs or flees all the staff whanted was tips if you dont tip you dont get served for a long time and we allways tip but not this time its not werth it by no means
my holiday cost over 1500 pounds and it was so bad we asked the rep to fly us back to the uk but hes said he couldent do that and all the other hotels were over booked so he couldent move us so all i can say is save your money and go to the dominican republic for a good caribean holidy stay away from cuba and that was the opinion of every one on our flight comming back to the uk so it wasnt just us its not worth it."

• Travel date: Sat 24th of January 2009

iberostar are good

Reviewed Sat 10th of January 2009

"very clean rooms and complex. food exellent, some people say its a bit samey well if you eat the same stuff it will be we found there was allways something different to eat.
location is nice but a little isolated which is fine if you dont want to go anywhere, but not so good if you do.

staff all very nice people and allways helpful, tipping either you do or you dont it makes no difference they are happy if you do but are not bad if you dont. some times we did some times we did not, the choice is yours.

very good entertainment during the day and night, not pushy though if you dont want to be involved they leave you alone.
night entertainment mainly dancing and singing with the usually games. my wife loved it and will go again.

only bad point about the beach is the sea weed which they do clean up. resort entetainment isolated.
beach was very shallowabout 3 or 4 metres when tide in about 50 when out but only seems to be out everyother day.

resort is nice if a little isolated"

• Travel date: Sat 10th of January 2009

OMG it's sooooooooooo good!!!!!!!

Reviewed Sun 4th of January 2009

"What a brilliant holiday. The hotel complex is breath-taking. The staff are friendly and helpful.

The rooms, although, could do with a few modern touches are comfortable and are equiped with every thing you need for a restful nights sleep. The maids go out of their way to make sure your rooms are clean and tidy everyday.

The towels get changed everyday, and it's amazing what figures they can make out of a towel (I.E two kissing swans made from hand towels and placed in the bathroom sink). Mags and Yamila are excellent at what they do. Mags oversees that the maids make your stay very comfortable, she's a very good supervisor.

The food is plentyful and most appertizing, considering this is a poor country.
It's based on a help yourself and you can eat as much or as little as you want. The variety of food is excellent. The waiter's and waitress's are very helpful and provide excellent service (better then the UK).

The pool and pool bar are very relaxing, and it doesn't take Lazaro, Randy and Nelson very long to know what your favourite tipple is. These three boys will even bring you a drink to where ever you are sat around the pool without you even asking for a top-up (you can't fault this kind of service).
They even taught me how to make the famous Coco Loco and Bahama Mama cocktail's (these have gone down well with family and friends when I have made them back in this country).

The entertainment at the resort is very good. The dancers, as my father would say are "FIT", simply because they can shake everything they've got!!!!!!!!. The staff entertain you from morning till night. There's never a dull moment. Yani, the choreographer, trains the dancers to a high level. The `around the world` show is the best performance by far, that i have ever seen because of the work the dancers and Yani put in-to it.

The beach has golden sands and is cleaned every morning by a tractor that rotavates and cleans away any sea weed washed up onto the shore. There are many activities to do like paragliding, speedboat water skiing etc.

Overall it's the perfect holiday."

• Travel date: Sun 4th of January 2009

A great Honeymoon

Reviewed Sat 13th of December 2008

"I must admit, first impressions of the hotel were mixed...we were extremely jet lagged so everything seems worse when you are in that state, but we were pleased with the hotel in general, but our room was a bit dingy. After a 12 hour sleep things looked much better though (except the room which I asked if we could move and we did straight away to a much nicer room).

We spent 2 weeks at the hotel for our honeymoon and we had a great time. The hotel is lovely, once you get it in to your head that 4 star doesn't mean the same thing abroad as it does in England. Everything is very clean in the hotel, some parts are a little run down but this really doesn't effect your enjoyment of the holiday in any way. The pool area is nice, and the pool very clean and spacious....although there is the usual rush for the sunbeds in the morning. The beach is lovely when the tide is out and then it looks like something off a bounty advert, but when it comes in it brings some sea weed with it, so doesn't look so much like paradise. The sunbeds are free on the beach and you don't get bothered by any traders, which was nice. The buffet restaurant is wonderful. Big choice of food, and all really well cooked....didn't hear of a funny tummy the whole time I was there. Breakfast is cereals, toast, pancakes (so good), their version of a fry up, big selection of fruit, pastries, muffins fresh juices and smooties. Lunch is pork, chicken, burgers, chips, rice, salad, seafood, paella, more fruit, desserts, icecream. Dinner is the best with a carvary station, veg, pots, rice, chips. A pasta station where you can pick the pasta, the sauce and what you want with it, salad, soup paella, . And then there is a grill section with the chef Walter who is brilliant. Pork, beef, chicken all cooked beautifully with so much flavour.

There is also a mexican, Italian and Cuban restaurant. We went to the Mexican, and it was nice food but I wouldn't say particularly Mexican tasting. We heard good things about the Italian restaurant.

The drinks and cocktails are lovely

There are quite a few little shops at the hotel with lots of different souveniers in, including a cigar shop. There is a bank, pharmacy and doctors. Everything is hugley expensive in Cuba, we ahd to get money from the bank 3 times!

The rooms are fine...they could do with a bit of updating, but they are fine for the time you spend in them.

The reception staff are great...if you have any problems they sort it out and their English is very good.

The evening entertainment we found to be good...some nights really good as they were all fantastic dancers and singers. the comedy is not so good as they do it in 3 languages which kind of ruins it! They do very well with the resources they have and work very hard. The audience participation nights are very enjoyable and funny to watch (or take part in!)

My husband enjoyed the beach volleyball, football, and pool competitions. There is something going on at all times of the day so if you do want to get involved you can...but also you don't get hassled...they ask you once and if you say 'no' they leave you alone which I appreciated. The 'mini' golf is exactly what it says in the name.....so don't come with your golf clubs!

The excursions are very pricey compared to other places I have been. We didn't go to Havana as it was so expensive, but a lot of people did. The overall opinion we heard was that it is in a very run down state and the hassle on the streets was very irritating.

We went on the 'spectacular sugar express' excursion which was a very good day, and we got to see the 'real' cuba. We also went on the 'speed boat adventure' which was a really good couple of hours.

Overall this was a relaxing, enjoyable holiday. The staff were great, the hotel was comfortable and you felt safe. Weather was good most of the time (few cloudy days). the only thing I would warn about is the bugs. Not mozzies....I'm not sure what the hell they were but alot of people got eaten alive and they are ssssoooo itchy. A few people asked for their rooms to be fumagated...which they said helped, but I am not sure when I was being bitten. Take some good insect repllent, anti histamines and some insect bite cream.

A very good holiday"

• Travel date: Sat 13th of December 2008

Hotels near Iberostar Daiquiri

Top traveller tips for Iberostar Daiquiri

• fairygodmother775 by fairygodmother775

"save your money and go elsewhere "

• unhappybunny by unhappybunny

"Go to pillar beach which is lovely and try to go to the mainland, as it is far more interesting "

• gymasticsbrill by gymasticsbrill

"Try all the restaurants and not just the buffet. "

Iberostar Daiquiri is also called