About Wyndham Reef Resort

• diving
  • entertainment staff

The Reef Resort was nice

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"We took a trip to Grand Cayman the last weekend in April. We really enjoyed the Reef Resort. It was nice, quiet and laid back. We had a 2 bedroom condo and what a delight to wake up to hearing the waves crash outside your balcony. We also enjoyed the security guard riding his bike w/ the parrot on the handle bars what a laugh. We came to Grand Cayman for the diving and that was phenominal. We really were not impressed with the island itself. It is not the typical laid back island attitude that we all expect for the carribean. The first day we arrived we had a nite dive and getting back about 9:30 pm we go to the beach bar for some food only to be told that the kitchen was closed.. What a disappointment that was especially after diving... Luckily we had rented a jeep and went grocery shopping earlier. The island is so overpriced, a six pack of beer ended up being 12 (cayman dollars) and all the food was over priced. A lunch at the bar for 3 people ended up being 60 + (cayman dollars). We did decide to take a trip over to Rum Point, we were not really impressed with that area either.. We walked into a store to be told they are closing in 1.5 minutes , we then headed to the tables at the beach bar and watched the servers stand around and then finally come to our table and tell us that they are no longer serving food. It seemed like they were waiting for that time instead of coming over immediately and taking our orders. All in all we were not impressed with the island or the locals. We would only come back for a dive specific trip but not for a vacation. But if we do come back we would definately stay at the Reef Resort."

• Travel date: Fri 27th of May 2005

Fantastic accomadations and Staff

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"I recently got back from the Reef Resort and do not have one complaint. I got married at Grand Old House in Georgetown and had 31 guests come to the island. Of those guests, 24 plus myself and new husband, stayed at the Reef. The rooms are beautiful. I had guests in the studios, 1 bedrooms and the new 2 bedrooms condos, so I got to see them all. They are all up to date in decor with a bit of island/beach flare to them. The fact that they are ALL ocean view is huge. If you stay on SMB, you pay a premium to see the ocean. I was lucky enough to have a room on the first level, so I was able to walk right out to the beach from my room. It is also a very safe place. I left my slider unlocked and we came and went to the beach or the pool or the bar, with out any worries. There is an in room safe to put your valuables in, which we took advantage of. Aside from the accomodations being great, the staff, particulary Elaine Ramos, were unbelievable. I know the majority of my guests used the concierge service for something or another and not only did they set up all kinds of transportation, whether it be pick ups from the airport or drives into town for dinner, but Elaine also helped me to book my rehearsal dinner. No the reasturant is not as good as other restaurants on the island, such as Edoardos or Grand Old House, but it is convenient. All in all, it was a fabulouse wedding and vacation all in one and I look forward to going back to celebrate anniversaries in the future. On an aside, the winds that someone else was complaining about were not all that bad and actually made it very pleasant to sit on the beach and read a book without melting."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of May 2005

Fishing was great/staff great/restaurant mediocre

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"We stayed in a two bedroom condo with a fabulous verandah and pristine sparkling clear water in the ocean and the pool. The staff was friendly and curtious and we booked a tour on Captain Hermans boat with just the two of us. $125 per person US> He cooked our catch and gave us good conversation. We were disappointed in barefoot man (a bit egotistical and "he" thought he was funny...some humor but not as much as he perceived) The food in the restaurant was okay but pricey. We paid $135.00 for two with one glass of wine each. We cooked most of our own meals and enjoyed the privacy. Don't miss the sunday fishfry just 3 miles down from the reef (local picnic it appears...meal to go was $7.00 CI) All in all a great 9 days...weather was great always a breeze and while we were there the humidity was very low. My friend is already planning a return trip...personally, there are too many carribean islands to return to this one because the prices are considerably higher than a comparable stay in say...Playa Del Carmen for half the money. It was good to see a new place. The hurrican (IVAN) is still on everyone's mind and they haven't been able to get all the debris cleaned up yet with the exception of the rich landholders which seem to have theirs cleaned and landscaped already. Plan on groceries being 50% higher than US and beer was about $32 a case CI. Bud was 8.99 a 6 pack CI just to give you an idea...bottle of sutterhome cabernet about $15 US. Fruit was hard to come by with the exception of bananas...cereal about $5 CI a box...Coffee about $12 a lb. Take coffee and tea. Eggs were $1.60 CI a dozen. I would have liked this info before going."

• Travel date: Thu 28th of April 2005

Reef Resort is Outstanding!

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"The Reef Resort is EXCEPTIONAL! I stayed at the Reef Resort on business and I was overwhelmed by it's beauty, comfort and friendly staff. I arrived at the hotel exhausted, very late at night and the kitchen staff had saved food for me! The personal attention is remarkable and you get a sense that it comes from the genuine friendly nature of the Caymanian staff. The room was also suprisingly well appointed, very clean, spacious and comfortable. I was working hard and looked forward to relaxing in such a comfortable room each evening. The food was great too and the beach too beautiful for words. I am already planning a trip to return to the Reef Resort on a real vacation. The island is still recovering from Hurricaine Ivan, but so much natural beauty remains intact and the lovely Cayman people make visiting there incomporably relaxing. My only complaint is that it was so relaxing, I had trouble focusing on my work!"

• Travel date: Mon 25th of April 2005

The best vacation we have ever had

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"The resort, the staff, the water, the island people...everything was perfect. I typically bring cleaning supplies with me whenever I stay in a hotel or resort but I didn't need any of it. The room was spotless! The staff could not have been more friendly. The food was fantastic and the beach was absolutely amazing. This was our first vacation in five years and we will go back every year. We wanted a total relaxing vacation and we could not have been happier. We really enjoyed the sunrise every morning from the dock and attached are some of our photos."

• Travel date: Mon 25th of April 2005

Reef good, wind and water bad

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"The reef resort is a very nice, reasonable resort that attracted us because it seemed a quieter place to travel with kids. The hotel was very nice and the staff was good. The big problem we had was with the wind (15-25 MPH wind!) and the swimming (rocks and weeds). If you've ever been to Cayman 7-mile beach, you know the beach is amazing. However, ocean swimming at the Reef resort (which is on the other side of the island from 7-mile beach) is not possible with small kids due rocks, seaweed (in water, not beach), and lots of wind (wind comes from the East and Reef Resort is on East end, 7-mile beach is on west end).

Note there is nothing the resort could do about this issue (except let us move to 7 mile beach and they refused to do that). It is structural.

If you're traveling with small kids, stay somewhere on 7-mile beach to enjoy the ocean swimming (but take the kids to the Reef Resort to hear the Barefoot man). If not traveling with small kids, the Reef Resort is a reasonable choice."

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of April 2005

Fantastic units, fantastic vacation

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"We loved the units - clean, clean , clean, and well decorated. Fully applianced kitchen, and all units are beachfront - what a view!
Snorkeling directly from the beach was just great!
The Reef is small and well managed. The staff was pleasant and helpful.
The food in the restaurant was good, a little pricey - but so are most restaurants in G. Cayman - however, a couple of less expensive restaurants are closeby.
Should we return to Grand Cayman ( and why not?) we would return to this location in a heartbeat."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of February 2005

not interested in timeshare

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"We booked our vacation through travelocity. We did not sign up for or get any deals for looking at timeshares and had no interest in it, we were there on vacation. We had an appointment set up for us by mngt. when we got there for a meeting with quality control, which we later found out was a sales pitch for a timeshare. We didn't go to the meeting and made it clear we did not want to be bothered with that, we were on vacation. After that we felt uncomfortable there and the tone of the staff seemed different. When first arriving we joked about getting jobs there and never leaving, but by the end of our vacation I was ready to leave (5days 4 nights). The Island was completly turned upside down with hurricane damage and rebuilding. We were not advised of any of this when booking our vacation. Many shops and restaurants were closed, due to damage. The parts of the island that weren't affected were breathtaking. I enjoyed the slow pace and the food was unbelievable. Portofinos was excellent a bit pricey, but so is everything there U.S$1 = C.I. 80cents. If you are into just eating out without too much worry on how much you spend and love friendly people warm atmosphere and the quiet beauty of an island, this is the place to go, but may I recommend not going for at least 1 year after a hurricane."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of February 2005

Perfect!

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"Trip Report 1-28-05 through 2-05-05

This was our ninth trip to Grand Cayman and our second stay at The Reef Resort. It was also our first visit since Hurricane Ivan. The island overall suffered quite a bit of damage but is well on it’s way to recovery.

The Reef Resort was in fantastic shape. All of the staff worked seven day weeks getting everything back to better than ever. They all want their “Guests” to have a wonderful and memorable visit. There are plenty of activities such as snorkeling, diving, and bike rentals. The concierges can arrange anything for you, or you can just relax, sit on the beach, and take in the sun. The beach, by the way, is beautiful and not crowded. There are two beautiful pools, one of them was being repaired while we were there but should be open soon.

The restaurant is very good and the beach bar is relaxed with a menu of lighter fare. (And the lovely bartenders make you feel like old friends.)

It is a quiet resort on the east end of the island. You will be away from the crowds but close to several good restaurants, a local jerk chicken bbq, beautiful Rum Point and charters to Stingray City.

The rooms are wonderfully appointed and very clean and bright. You can have your choice of a studio, one bedroom with a full kitchen or two bedroom unit. Every one of them is beachfront with sensational views and wonderful ocean breezes.

We had such a wonderful time we extended our stay by one day and are already trying to plan when we can go back. You will not be disappointed, unless you are looking for the club scene. It is a place where you feel welcome and you will undoubtedly make a new friend or two as well."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of February 2005

Heaven on Earth

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"Our Family is from the Midwest and we have been traveling to the Caribbean for many years. About 5 years ago we took a "Day Trip" from Cancun down to Grand Cayman to see the Reef Resort. That was all it took. We purchased a week Timeshare and have been going back every February since. We actually purchased a second week not long after and spend 50 weeks every year looking forward to our time at The Reef Resort. Located on the East side of the Island it is secluded from the hustle of the Hotel Zone yet not to far away to drive over if you so desire. The peaceful and secluded atmosphere is exactly what the doctor ordered for us. We have children and never need to worry about crashing surf or bring lost in the masses of people. We are also avid SCUBA divers and enjoy the spoils of a top class dive operation (Ocean Frontiers) and some of the most spectacular reefs on earth. If a wild "Spring Break" type vacation is what you seek Grand Cayman is probably not an ideal place for you, let alone Eastend. If you seek a lap of luxury, being pampered in the relaxing ambience of the Caribbean Sea and a peaceful get away...you'll love Grand Cayman and The Reef Resort."

• Travel date: Sun 23rd of January 2005