The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa

30620 Seven Mile Beach, Seven Mile Beach KY1-1203 Grand Cayman

Good

The beach is its best attribute

"We are not picky people by most people standards, but this moldy smell that people talk about...it exists. Now we didn't have the smell in our room, so call us lucky, but the smell is in the halls, in the elevator. It just makes you wonder if there is a mold or mildew problem. The hotel doesn't smell fresh and clean...just metallicky and moldy.

I also don't understand how they can tag on a service fee for using towels and beach chairs. I mean HELLO???? Isn't that included in the price. Its one of the little things that make you mad.

Now we aren't drinkers at all. I can tell you though for any people out there who are, the beach is HUGE and there is only about 2 women taking orders on the beach which is really very few.

Though I described above what peeved us(mainly the mold smell), what helped us select the Westin was the fact that it was on the best strip of the 7mile beach. It does have the best property on 7 mile beach. You will always have a beach chair and you will NEVER BE CROWDED. Now the Hyatt and the Marriott appear to be better hotels internally, however they suffer becuase their beach is substantially smaller the size of the Westin. The Westin takes in their beach chairs at night, however the Hyatt and Marriott do not because there is a seating arrangement. People obviously argue over space. This is evidently a problem there. Never is this an issue at the Westin

For our 1st trip to Cayman, we wanted to stay at a hotel with exellent beach. We prefer to have oceanview or oceanfront. Marriott and Hyatt were out of the picture becuase of the condition of the beach, therefore our choice was the Westin.

If you are considering a condo, Villas of the Galleon are right next to the Westin and they are beautiful. Check it out."

• Travel date: Thu 6th of May 2004

Room Reservation Roulette

"I will put the good stuff first. They have the best stretch of 7 mile beach, the facilities are good, the beds are indeed heavenly, the restaurants are wonderful, etc. It is especially kid-friendly - this can be good or bad, depending on who you are. I am a parent, and did not have my children with me, but I enjoy the presence of children. If children annoy you, or you don't want to be around them, then you will definitely have a problem.

Unlike some of the other reviewers, I understand that this is not an all-inclusive resort. You have paid for a room. Things are expensive in Cayman. That's life. You paid for a room.

And that's where I had my problem. I did not get the room I paid for, and Westin has NEVER made up the difference. I paid for a beach/pool view room (the pool is on the beach side of the hotel). Upon my arrival, at 2PM, I was told my room was not ready yet, and to check back at 3PM. At 3PM I was told my room was not ready yet, and to check back at 3:30, etc.

Granted, the airline had mis-routed my luggage, so at least while I was sleeping on the lobby couch for the afternoon, it is not as if I was overburdened by having to mind my luggage. Also, fortunately, I was visiting friends in Cayman who dropped by to take me out at around 4PM, because they did not have a room for me until after 7PM. That's five hours after the arrival time I had requested, and well after any reasonable check-in time.

The room they gave me was an island view room, which was priced some $200 per night less than the room for which I paid. The hotel management didn't care, Westin doesn't care, and I wasn't going to spend my trip complaining about it, because I was there to enjoy myself to the extent possible.

But, yes, they ripped me off to the tune of around $800, and Westin has never responded to my complaints. I've already invested more time than $800 is worth to me in trying to make up for that, and it is clear that it will be a cold day in Cayman before they respond.

This property is not strictly Starwood managed - they basically licensed the Westin name, so Westin blames any problems on the Cayman operator. Cayman is not known for its consumer protection practices in general.

So, the bottom line is that if you don't mind getting ripped on the room rate and given something less, then go for the beach/pool view. You might get lucky. I didn't. Otherwise, book an island view and you won't have a nagging bother while you are enjoying what is otherwise a nice place.

Personally, while I was in Cayman I scoped out some other, smaller places that I will look at on my next trip, but I'd rather not start a stampede to them.

There's nothing wrong with the Westin, but there is certainly something wrong about the way I was treated."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of May 2004

Heaven on earth!!!

Good

"I just got back from Grand Cayman and let me just say i was in heaven. This hotel is absolutely fantastic! The beach is like no other i have ever seen. I love the fact that you can go in the water take a dip, go lay in your chair and have a waitress come up to you right on the beach and take your order for drinks. I'm already planning on taking my daughter next April. I hated to leave. The pool was beautiful and so warm. My only complaint which really isn't a big deal was the tv. The reception was awful,but not a big deal. You aren't in the room all that much anyway."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of May 2004

Disappointed with the room

"We just got back from a six day stay at the Westin, and boy was I disappointed! I read the reviews before I left for the trip but I had no choice where we were staying, because it was part business/part personal vacation. Even though the company paid for the majority of the stay, I felt like I just threw my money out the window by staying at the Westin. My major dilemma was the moldy-smelling room. As soon as you walked into the room, the smell just hits you. The first night I asked the front desk to change our room, but they had only one room available. I went to go check it out, but it stunk worse than ours. I had asked if she could switch us the next day, and she said to check back with her the after 12:00. When I asked her the next day, she said no one had checked out yet. I never bothered going back again because it seemed as if she wasn't eager to accomodate us. The woman at the front desk offered to give us a de-humidifier, and I accepted. A cleaning lady brought it up 30 minutes later. It was some ancient-looking machine you plugged in which blew air out-it didn't suck any humidity out of the air!! The cleaning lady agreed that it smelled really bad and that I should speak to the manager. He came up and chalked it up to the humidity, and that people leave their balcony doors open. That's a bunch of crock! I've been to so many islands, and on cruises, and I've never slept in a room that smelled like that. It really ruined my whole stay. It was hard to get ready to go out and sleep in a room that smelled like a musty old wine cellar. I spoke to other guests about this, and some agreed their room really smelled, and others not. I don't know what the deal is. Is it only certain rooms or one part of the hotel? One woman told me she turned the air-conditioner off, and the smell stopped. Maybe they need to clean their ducts. I do agree that the hotel needs to update the interior--lobby, furniture, wallpaper, rooms, bathrooms. The pool and beach were the only beautiful things. The food is very expensive at the hotel. We ordered 2 cheeseburgers to the room and they charged us a little over 2dollars to bring it to the room. I thought that is one of the perks at staying at a so-called "luxury hotel". Our bill came out to $18.00!! I didn't find the beach girls were trying to push drinks on us. They never even approached us-maybe because we had kids. Overall, the staff was friendly, especially the Camp Scallywag director Linda-she was super friendly and wonderful with kids. I would never stay there again because we paid almost $300nt, and it was like staying at a Comfort Inn. I feel the issue of our room should have been addressed, but they just brushed it aside like its an everyday occurrence-because it probably is. Stay at the RitzCarlton. It's partially up, and it looks beautiful!!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of May 2004

Lost my money

"I was going to visit the Westin in Grand Cayman in Dec 03. Due to a family emergency I had to postpone my trip. At that time I had paid my room rate in full. I called to inform the Westin of my problem and was told they would hold my room money and I could re schedule my trip at a later date. I called on4/30/04 to reschedule and was told I had only 60 days and then was out of luck. I asked to travel in August 04 and was told I had untill the end of June and that was it. The manager was very sarcastic and could care less about me. Now I am at a two thousand dollar loss. Had to tell the family no vacation this year!"

• Travel date: Thu 29th of April 2004

Overpriced & overrated

"I just got back from a vacation at this hotel and it is very overpriced for what you get. The rooms are small, the hotel is somewhat outdated and the pool is cold and small. The beach is beautiful, the water is gorgeous and the location is good because you are far enough away from Georgetown to keep the cruise ship folks off your beach. The staff were nice enough but if you book via the internet be very careful - they will not allow any changes to your reservation using the internet rate. At the end of the day - it just was not worth the money."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of April 2004

Best Hotel on Beach

"We just got back from 9 days in the Caymans and its a place that everyone must see at least once in their lives! We stayed at the Westin for part of the trip, then moved to the Anchorage condos up the beach.
Both had their advantages. If a hotel is what you are after, stay at the Westin. It has a far superior (and larger) beach than the Hyatt or Marriott. The rooms are nicely appointed and the grounds are beautiful.
It is centrally located and you can walk to several restaurants. The hotel isn't split into 2 like the Hyatt, where you have to walk across the street to get to the beach side. The pool is very nice, although both my girls spent all day in the warm, very calm ocean swimming and looking for shells. Bring snorkel gear as there is excellent snorkeling right in front of the hotel and in front of the Governors House right next door. Our best day was spent on a catamaran. Capt. Dexter of Fantasea tours only takes 16 people and is very personable. We went to Stingray city, conch diving in 10 feet of water and reef snorkeling. My kids each got a beautiful conch shell to bring home that they caugh themselves. The only negative to this beautiful island is that it is very expensive and our dollar is worth about .80, making it more pricey. Cabs charge by the number of people ($5 each), so consider renting a car if you have a family of 4 or more. We paid $40 RT to go to a restaurant 10 mins. away!"

• Travel date: Sat 17th of April 2004

Tops!

"My husband and I have been vacationing in Grand Cayman since 1982. The island has changed over the years, mostly for the better: better people-watching, better service, better restaurants.

We stayed at the original Holiday Inn most of the time, then tried a couple of condos.

The Westin Casuarina is, by far, the best hotel on the island with beautiful, spotlessly clean rooms, incredible service, a fabulous beach, and amenities beyond belief.

Our favorite restaurants (Bella Capri for Italian and Bamboo for sushi) are within walking distance.

We'll definitely be returning to the Westin again next year, and the next, and the next ..."

• Travel date: Tue 30th of March 2004

Nice but too expensive

"I have stayed at the Westin several times. It is very nice but way too expensive. You can stay at a condo for much less and have more room. But, if you want to be pampered and catered to, then this is the place for you. A very good breakfast buffet but also too expensive. Eats cafe across the street is much cheaper but not a buffet and is delicious. Get an oceanfront room, otherwise you probably will be looking out at the street and traffic. The beach is wonderful-best hotel beach on the island in my opinion. Pretty girls will take your drink and food orders on the beach and bring it to you and charge it to your room. That is nice, but beware of how much you are spending. The drinks are expensive also and you will be surprised at how easily and quickly it adds up at the end of your stay. The staff to me are average. Not necessarily rude, but not friendly either. Just ok. The rooms I have stayed in are nice and pretty big with a mini bar in them and nice beds. Ask for a floor without a lot of teens staying there because sometimes I have gotten too much noise. Young people staying up until all hours of the morning and making everyone know where they are is pretty annoying to me. If you especially want a hotel, this is so far the nicest on Seven Mile Beach. A Ritz Carlton is being built down the street but probably won't be open for quite a while. Sometimes you can get upgraded to an oceanfront room so ask. You can rent water sports equipment on the property. They do have nice beachtowels at the pool. Beautiful pool and swim-up bar. Two hot tubs,one on each end. They do have some suites also."

• Travel date: Sat 27th of March 2004

Great hotel

Good

"A great hotel on a great section of the beach. The food in the restaurant on the property is a bit pricy but there are a bunch of fantastic restaurants within a short walk.

If you want to stay in a hotel on Grand Cayman, the Westin has the best facilities - better than the Hyatt or Marriot."

• Travel date: Tue 16th of March 2004

Hotels near The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa

Stayed at The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa? Share your insight.

The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa is also called