Newly Renovated Hotel

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We just returned from six days at the Marriott Beach Resort on Grand Cayman. It just re-opened on June 1 and they did a great job with the renovations, some of which are still on-going. We had a courtyard view which was nice - we enjoyed the small balcony. The beach area is not too wide, but was large enough to accommodate the people on the beach. There did seem to be a shortage of beach umbrellas - everyone wanted them as it was very hot and humid! I wouldn't recommend going there in June but since our trip was paid for, of course we went! The water color along 7 mile beach is an amazing shade of blue and clear. The staff always greeted you with a smile, as did most people in the Cayman's. We only ate one breakfast (the buffet) at the restaurant, which is currently the only restaurant open in the Marriott. The Cayman's are very expensive so be prepared to spend around $100 for dinner. There is still a lot of damage visible from Hurricane Ivan - I think it will take years for the island to completely recover. Construction is taking place all over the island. I would recommend the Marriott Beach Resort, especially for families."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of June 2005

Fanastic Hotel

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2012

"I just returned from the Cayman after a extended work period during which I stayed at the Marriott Beach Resort for 2 months. I found the hotel staff was excellent, friendly and went beyond the call of duty to make my stay really enjoyable. The rooms was dated however they are in the process of a $17m renovation and from what I saw it will make the hotel awesome. What I liked more than anything else was the location it is so convienent to restaurants, shopping and nightclubs. Didn't have much time to spend on the beach but it look great, really nice and big. At night I could walk down the beach to Royal Palms and have a nice frosty cool one. This was my first time in the Caymans and I am already planning to take my family back there soon! Soon Come K-man!!!"

• Travel date: Thu 17th of February 2005

Great considering what we've paid for

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"We went to Grand Cayman Marriott on May 2004 for 8 nights and we had a fabulous time. We are very practical people who assessed our needs before we went ahead and reserved our hotel room. We knew that GC is an expensive island and the main reason why we were there was to get certified for diving, so we know that every morning we will be out on a dive boat. Also this is our first time in the Caribbean so we would like to travel around the island to sightsee. Given these requirements it seemed pointless to spend our money on a luxury hotel when we wouldn’t be there half the time! Our travel agent got us 8 nights in a courtyard view room for around $125 per night. It was a great choice – the money we ended up saving (had we chose the Hyatt or the Westin) was spent on diving and eating in all the great restaurants around the island.

But honestly the hotel isn’t bad at all – the maid came on time everyday and our room was spotless. The courtyard-view balcony was serene in the morning. The restaurant had a great view of the ocean and I love lounging at the pool level and staring at the ocean! The beach is narrow here and can only fit 3 rows of beach chairs comfortably. However we had no problem getting a chair by the pool or at the beach anytime during the day – but then again we were there during low season (no crowds at all). Snorkeling was fantastic right off the beach. The staff was courteous and did their jobs in a timely manner. Ok the décor is uninspiring (typical Marriott furnishing) but hey, I didn’t fly all the way to the Caribbean to look at a hotel lobby! For the price we’ve paid, this hotel exceeded our expectation 10 folds.

I will recommend this hotel to anyone who doesn’t want to spend a fortune at GC or anyone like us (active people / don’t spend all day lounging by the pool). However if you want to completely relaxing vacation and don’t even want to get out of your lounge chair to grab a drink, go to Hyatt or the Westin!"

• Travel date: Fri 11th of February 2005

Marriott Beach Resort . . .

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"We have been to Grand Cayman six times and bought a time share on the island in November of 2003, while we were staying at the Marriott Beach Resort. The rooms at the Marriott are what one would normally expect in a hotel of this type. Our room overlooked the Gardens and was clean, though the decor was uninspired. The freshwater pool was clean as well. Note: there was NO BEACH. If that is of great importance, you may wish to book elsewhere. We knew we could travel to other beaches by car, so this did not dismay us as much as it might have a first time visitor. The Hurricane in September 2004 may have deposited more sand, it has changed things greatly all over the island. Shopping and dining are within walking distance of the Marriott. We suggest you rent a car, you will want to see the whole island, but taxis and reasonable Public transportation are available if the hectic driving on the left side of the road is not your idea of relaxing on vacation! The Caymanians are gracious people, but they will need a time to recover from Hurricane Ivan (the Terrible). Definitely consider Grand Cayman for your future Vacation plans."

• Travel date: Sat 16th of October 2004

The Best

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"We were there for our honeymoon but unfortunatley during the Hurricane Ivan ...... The staff were fabulas in how they dealt with the situation and even more on how they looked after us !!!!!!!!!!! We can not thank them enough for everything ---- we plan to return to see them again and will be staying in this hotel and no other !!!!!! Super , Fantastic , Brilliant ......"

• Travel date: Tue 28th of September 2004

Simply Wonderful!!

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"This hotel was right on the beach nestled between 2 very small hotels. I had the opportunity to walk about a mile plus along the beach - - and the beach that is part of this resort property had to be the most beautiful, in terms of sand and snorkeling!!
Wonderful restaurants, bars and clubs are right down the street and it is conveniently located 10 minutes from the airport.

Staff was extremely helpful and pleasant and we will definitely go back again!!"

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of September 2004

This is paradise!

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"This is quite simply the best vacation I ever had. The hotel is amazing and right on the beach. Grand cayman is heaven and has tons to do. From Stingray City to the turtle farm, you can find whatever you would like to do. The food was excellent and tasty and the evening dinner by the pool was amazing. I highly recommend staying at this hotel and this island!"

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of September 2004

Loved the Marriott @ Grand Cayman

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"I just returned from the Marriott Grand on 8/16/04. I had a wonderful experience. The hotel was great. The had a lot of activities to choose from. Our hotel room was breathtaking. We had an oceanfront view. It was great looking over the beach. Even the 1 day Hurricane Charlie visited us. The hotel is very clean & the staff are very accomodating & friendly. The island is very expensive. Since I enjoyed my stay so much, I felt the price was justified. I would definitely go to the Grand Cayman & stay at the Marriott."

• Travel date: Mon 16th of August 2004

THE CAYMAN EXPERIENCE

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"We just got back from 9 days at marriott, and i am glad we stayed there. Right across the street is coconut joes bar a great bar with many locals and friendly folks. Snorkeling is awesome right in front of the hotel, the artificial reef is insane, with tons of fish that follow you around, some bigger than 3 feet. It is just a short walk away from downtown and a supermarket. Take bob sotos (a block down from the hotel) for stingray city tour, as we only had 10 people on our boat, as opposed to others we saw were jam packed. For both myself and girlfriend, it was 140 U.S. total for the stingray tour, a reef trip, and the whole thing on a nice dvd including footage of a nurse shark and two eels! royal palms outdoor bar has the best conch fritters (trust me, we ate fritters at every restaurant), and it is a nice short walk on the beach. We rented a jeep 85US bucks total with insurance at soto's across the street and drove all day for 15 bucks in gas. You only need a rental for one day to see the whole island. I would skip the botanical gardens as the pond and waterfall were totally dry - pretty boring stuff, only highlight was a nice walk and a huge iguana that spits. Hit the blow holes, shipwreck - not much to see( but on the way), then rum point and relax on a hammock, on the way back hit the lighthouse restaurant for a nice lunch on the water. From there hit the smith's cove and watch some people backdive off the rocks. then goto hell, and then relax on cemetery beach for a good peace and quiet beach. tree tops was ok, rachmans was pretty good, cool to see them feed the tarpons at 7.30 sharp and a nice view. for internet, muffin, bagels, coffee and a good deal goto the cafe del sol, behind the texaco across from the butterfly farm which is right across the street. Grab a coffee in the morning, and head over to the butterfly farm for a relaxing time on a bench next to the pond ( for 15us you get a week's pass). Beach is not big at all, but we spent the most time on a raft - buy one at bob sotos dive shop for 7 bucks, don't rent one! water was bath water, and very calm. don't forget to bring your snorkel gear as you could spend all week snorkeling right in front of the hotel.. have fun !!"

• Travel date: Wed 11th of August 2004

Great Experience at this resort

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I was quite impressed with the Marriot Beach Resort. I was there from July26-30. We had a view of the Comfort Suites Courtyard...at least it was a nice view. The buffet breakfast was pretty good at the restaurant. We had prompt service with our room being cleaned each day. The only trouble we had was the key card and opening the door. Sometimes we had to try more than once to get it open. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We had drinks at the outside bar and at the lounge. The bartender at the indoor lounge made wonderful pina coladas. One great aspect of the trip is that I enjoyed snorkeling right out from the resort. The fish were everywhere!! That particular day you didn't even need a snorkel. Although the beach is not that wide, it was still nice to take walks along it."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of August 2004